• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    He IS working on the new Paul Greengrass movie to be released this year though. What is the title? The Green Zone?

Thanks for reminding me. Here hoping that it'll be more like The Bourne Ultimatum and less like United 93.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    He IS working on the new Paul Greengrass movie to be released this year though. What is the title? The Green Zone?

Thanks for reminding me. Here hoping that it'll be more like The Bourne Ultimatum and less like United 93.

That'll depend on the dictates of the film? I'd be very happy with anything that sounded as good as United 93 or the Bourne scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

That'll depend on the dictates of the film? I'd be very happy with anything that sounded as good as United 93 or the Bourne scores.

I don't want to listen to another United 93-style score. I honestly wouldn't mind some Black-Hawk-Down-isms in the score either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Well, I'm expecting heavy realistic drama like United 93, combined with action like the Bourne films, so I'm hoping the score will reflect that; middle ground between those. Or anything with that cool 93-percussion, but then heavy on the action. Either way, I'm very much looking forward to this one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote

That's an interesting project!

As for the other subject matter, it's called "typecasting". It happens to everyone in the business - not just composers, and when you need the money / publicity and generally getting work, there's not much you can do. Personally i don't mind as long as they find ways to be a little bit inventive each time.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Demetris, maybe except David Newman and John Debney.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well; they problem with Debney is that he usuall doesn't even try to be inventive. As for Newman, i am not largely familiar with his work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Wow, another Powell animation score! I love it when the man does 'em, he almost never fails to impress me with those. Great news! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    moviescore wrote
    Another animation project for John:

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … ragon.html

mc

rolleyes

I expected Alan Silvestri would score it, because Chris Sanders (Lilo & Stitich director/creator/writer) is directing it, and I've heard he's a big Silvestri fan...

Even though I love Powell's animation scores, and other RC composers' works on DreamWorks Animations (Bee Movie!), I'd like to see somebody else scoring a DW movie for once! But probably Jeffrey Katzenburger won't accept slant

Btw here is the official site: http://www.howtotrainyourdragon.com/
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  2. Katzenburger. You know what that means? lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2009 edited
    bunny

But seriously, Silvestri would've been a great choice for this film too. Not that I'm not happy with JP! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Wallace & Gromit's "Cats 'n Burger" joke was in my mind... Does this word have any other meaning!? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    That's what I was reminded of too wink biggrin
  3. Miya wrote
    Wallace & Gromit's "Cats 'n Burger" joke was in my mind... Does this word have any other meaning!? dizzy

Well, if Katzenburg was a German city (the city of cats biggrin ), it would be an inhabitant of the city. Now Katzenburger would be a burger made of a cat lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    oops. Is Demetris around here? shh...

wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well he did found DreamWorks in spite of Disney.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2009
    At least we can hope for a decent length score release from there!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Miya wrote
    Even though I love Powell's animation scores, and other RC composers' works on DreamWorks Animations (Bee Movie!), I'd like to see somebody else scoring a DW movie for once! But probably Jeffrey Katzenburger won't accept

No, Katzenberg isn't the one deciding who gets to score the Dreamworks Animation films, Zimmer does. Isn't he executive music producer for that particular company, in that he can allow or veto composers he sees fit? I remember that debacle when he brought on three additional composers to work with Julian Nott on Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, which was released by DreamWorks Animation.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2009 edited
    It was Katzenberg who brought Zimmer & co. into W&G movie.

Also directors of Chicken Run wanted Julian Nott, but Katzenberg didn't like his British sound, so he fired Julian and brought on MV guys.

On W&G, Nick Park insisted on keeping Julian, but Katzenberg wanted more "Hollywood" sound (or rather, DreamWorks/animated RC sound tongue )... So, as a compromise, he got Zimmer involved as a supervisor, and Julian had to join RC composers to rewrite the score based on temp music which Julian already had written for storyboards.

At least, this is what I understood from several interviews and audio commentary...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Miya wrote

Also directors of Chicken Run wanted Julian Nott, but Katzenberg didn't like his British sound, so he fired Julian and brought on MV guys.

Who were [and still are funnily enough] English. Logic! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Btw, I also heard it's usually Katzenberg who choose voice actors. They chose Jack Black as a main voice actor first, and after that they created Kung Fu Panda story to fit his character.

Mr. Katzenburger decides everything. tongue

Even when he was at Disney he forced Zimmer to rewrite The Lion King score after screening.

I believe Zimmer can't say no to Mr. Katzenburger. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Steven wrote
    Miya wrote

Who were [and still are funnily enough] English. Logic! biggrin

Yeah how logical he is! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Also I've heard Zimmer isn't the music executive of DreamWorks anymore...? And DreamWorks SKG and Dreamworks Animation are separate companies now?

I don't know much about their business status though. Too complicated for my brain tongue
  4. Dreamworks SKG was bought by one of the major studios (Paramount? I'm not sure), but Spielberg wants it on its own again and they are working out a deal about it.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Miya wrote
    Btw, I also heard it's usually Katzenberg who choose voice actors. They chose Jack Black as a main voice actor first, and after that they created Kung Fu Panda story to fit his character.

Mr. Katzenburger decides everything. tongue

Even when he was at Disney he forced Zimmer to rewrite The Lion King score after screening.

I believe Zimmer can't say no to Mr. Katzenburger. tongue

Never knew that... Even more music for us to bunny at.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    biggrin

Actually, I read Zimmer recorded about 120 minutes of score for Lion King (consisting of stuff like an alternate instrumental for the Circle Of Life scene and several alternates for the Stampede), only about 60 min of which was used in the final film. Some tracks on the half mono boot are such unused tracks like the mislabeled "Hyenas", "To Die For" and "Under The Stars/Simba Awakens".

Amazing to think how much stuff goes behind every score album we listen! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    bunny

I don't know how much cues Hans had to rewrite, but you can hear some unused cues on "expanded" bootleg.

This is the source of the info (a bit long but nice to read for TLK fans wink)
    Jim Hill : A moving tale about the last few weeks of "The Lion King" 's production

ooh and one more thing about what I dislike about Katzenberg. Long time ago this guy tried to remove Part Of Your World sequence from The Little Mermaid. Does he really have a ear?!?! crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    Long time ago this guy tried to remove Part Of Your World sequence from The Little Mermaid. Does he really have a ear?!?! crazy

Ouch. He should get himself a burger cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Now I remember, didn't Zimmer say he was unable to score Lion King properly in the beginning days because all he was given for reference was black and white sketches?

Mr. Burger sure made poor Z work hard all along! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    There's no love for BUNNIES in this world? sad