• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010 edited
    What I find amazing is that I've given out five 5-star ratings in 6 years, and I'm being accused of over-rating things! :D
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010
    Can I ask what five scores Jon?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    The Golden Compass
    Un Homme et Son Chien
    Drag Me to Hell

and now How to Train Your Dragon
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very good choices except for How To train Your Dragon*.

*because I haven't heard it wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    The Golden Compass
    Un Homme et Son Chien
    Drag Me to Hell

Jon... you forgot Arsene Lupin.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jon Broxton wrote
    What I find amazing is that I've given out five 5-star ratings in 6 years, and I'm being accused of over-rating things! :D

Not 'things', just 'thing'. Singular. wink

Though I am glad you like it. Certainly better than you giving it 1 star!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote

Ice Age: The Meltdown ***

Just like How To Train Your Dragon, a fine album when you cut its length:

1. The Vulture
    2. Call of the Mammoth
    3. Manny and Ellie Meet
    4. 12 Ton Mammoth & a 10 Ton Possum / Attack From Below The Ice
    5. Extreme Possum
    6. Log Moving
    7. Goodnight Sweet Possums
    8. The Boat and the Geysers
    9. The Dam Breaks / Ellie Gets Trapped / Manny to the Rescue
    10. Rescues All Round / Scrat to the Rescue / The Water Recedes / Mammoths
    11. With the Herd
    12. Into the Sunset
    13. Mini-Sloths Sing-a-Long
    14. The Meltdown

Which comes to much more digestible 40 minutes.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Jon... you forgot Arsene Lupin.

Ah! Yes, you're right, my apologies. OK, six in six years!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

How can you not include The Waterpark in that? It's the best cue of the score. shocked wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    The Golden Compass
    Un Homme et Son Chien
    Drag Me to Hell

They get 5 stars yet Close Encounters gets 4! dizzy shocked

I guess the ratings are purely personal rather than "This score IS a 5 star score", if you get my drift?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

How can you not include The Waterpark in that? It's the best cue of the score. shocked wink

I don't like it. Plus there's some fine dramatic writing in that score surprisingly enough, and that ruins the feel of the album (or at least my version).

Well, I do like it. But there's enough versions of that piece in the latter part of the album anyway.
  3. Steven wrote
    I guess the ratings are purely personal rather than "This score IS a 5 star score", if you get my drift?

Of course they're personal. They were written by me, so how could they be anything else?

And as far as Close Encounters is concerned, check out the copyright date at the bottom of the page: 1998, i.e., the second year of MMUK's existance. If I were to review that score today, it would get *****. Any review written in the 1990s, take both the review and the rating with a grain of salt, because I had no idea what I was talking about back then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Steven wrote

Of course they're personal. They were written by me, so how could they be anything else?

Sometimes I think it's possible to give a score a rating from a subjective point of view, based on its technical merits and how well it works in the film. Citizen Kane, for example, IS a proper classic: I recently had a lecture pretty much devoted to that one score, and it made me appreciate it so much more. But as a listen on album, I don't really rate it that high, and I prefer it in suite form. Which means my personal rating would be lower.

Anyway, I try not to get bogged down in ratings. I prefer reviews without them in all honesty!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Actually, I think Jon Broxton's reviews are very good too. I might not always agree with the rating (just like any other reviewer), but they're well written and the point is clearly made.

Though, to be honest, I rarely read reviews these days.

Absolutely. I wasn't talking about Jon, whose work i like too, but rather making more general points.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Any review written in the 1990s, take both the review and the rating with a grain of salt, because I had no idea what I was talking about back then.

biggrin beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Any review written in the 1990s, take both the review and the rating with a grain of salt, because I had no idea what I was talking about back then.

biggrin beer

Jon's doing better than me, I still don't know what I'm talking about.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Panthera wrote
    Well, to be fair, most people want to read reviews close to the release date, and if all reviewers waited to see how the music stands against the test of time, we'd be getting reviews that are no longer relevant.

Why? This suggests that a review that comes some months after the initial release is in fact, invalid? I can't disagree more with that.

I'm not saying they are invalid. I am saying that there are no longer relevant to the general public's interest at the time. Less people will be interested in the music once the film's popularity has faded away. Of course people who visit these forums, such as you and I, will still care, but the average person who left the movie theater humming the theme song will probably want to find the review sooner rather than later. As time goes by, many will forget.

I'm not attacking delayed review. I read them all the time. I'm just defending early reviews.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ There's point in there. That's the problem with the modern state of things, i think. Everyone gets their hands on fresh new scores via digital copies the same day of their release and there's so much stuff out there, most of the people listen to fragments of scores (or even the entire scores for 1-2 times), then quickly onto the next new release, and so on; result is that the window of interest for a new score is very narrow and it gets narrower as time goes by. For instance, compare the discussions on a new scores in this forum (and others), observe how long they last and in what depth they reach until we move to the next new score, and compare it with the same factors but 5-6 years back when availability wasn't so screamingly high, fast and general. It's not necessarily a bad thing of course, but it's true that as far as reviews are concerned, it's very hard for a reviewer to wait for a listening experience to grow on the cd, watch the movie and make an as-objective-as-possible view on a score, before the general audience looses interest and they hype tones down. It's very hard to do so in a timely manner 'cause chances are that the largest percentage of the general public might have a copy of the score in question even before the reviewer himself. I really don't know how many people keep reading reviews these days, but i'd suspect they are very few compared to previous years.
  4. With the advent of freely-available music via less-than-official-routes today it's much easier for a lot of people to listen to the music for free and form an opinion rather than reading someone else's opinion before buying a CD. If they like it then result! If not it can be deleted at the click of a button and on to the next score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, the most usual case is that they like it but not so much as to actually pay for the CD but it's not my point here, the review thingy is smile
  5. I was just pointing out one reason for there being fewer readers of reviews today compared with a few years ago.

NP: Straw Dogs (clips) - Jerry Fielding

I don't think I'll need a review to help me decide on this one!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, i agree with that reason too smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I was just pointing out one reason for there being fewer readers of reviews today compared with a few years ago.

W-e-e-e-e-l-l-l-l...depends.
    "Official" reviews, no doubt about it: you're right.
    But I take a lot (and I mean a LOT) of my recommendations from people here talking about scores.
    These very threads are my information source, and more often than not act as proper and very even-handed reviews (especially when many people chime in).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Of course, the diminishing trends are observed in proper, officially posted reviews which are more and more evolving into short paragraph debates, like ours here? This is what i observe at least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.
    Like I said, especially from more heavily-discussed threads I am able to get a lot of information (it helps of course if I know the participants and how their own taste relates to my own).

Of course the drawback is people analysing and reviewing to molecular detail (even when the score is merely mediocre), and the clear prevalence of some scores/composers over others. I don't need to look here for an indepth discussion on the contents of the Rozsa box... (but then that turned out to be an automatic buy anyway, so no harm done) wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Me neither..the world is changing constantly, one has to adjust smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The only reviews I read are my own. wink

But as Martijn said above, I often get much value from reading score discussions.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010
    Miya wrote
    moviescore wrote
    John Powell takes over Mars Needs Moms from Zimmer:

http://moviescoremagazine.com/2010/03/p … om-zimmer/

mc

It's like he's trying to score movies from all the major animation studios! dizzy He did lots of Blue Sky and Dreamworks, one Disney, one Aardman, and now ImageMovers. So when will he get a Pixar movie?!

According to Wikipedia, next year.

The Bear and the Bow
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I hope it is true smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    John Powell AND Robert Folk?