• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010
    Oh, totally.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010
    The Green Zone is not genius modern film scoring. It's The Bourne trilogy and United 93 minus the themes and the inspiration. Unless I wasn't feeling good when I first listened to it and I'm completely missing something smile

I just don't understand the lack of love for Dragon. 'Sides the quality of the recording, which is disappointing, it's brilliant fun.

Also, I'm not saying noise is bad per-se, if it's part of an effective sound design scheme, such as the incredible use in Söderqvist's and other's scores, or to a lesser extent in the Zimmer Batman scores. But in both of those cases (again, especially the former tongue) the noise is only interesting as part of an overall palette which also includes interesting thematic development. Which I certainly haven't heard in The Green Zone, and can't understand why anyone would prefer it to Dragon.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010
    But i hope you're not suggesting that UNITED 93 is noise...when i watched the movie i was so captivated by the whole experience, mostly due to the usage of the music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    How To Train Your Dragon is good, but I would struggle to justify it as a five star score. Maybe three and a half stars, four max.

I could agree more about Broxton reasons to consider Dragon a highly rated score.

It's one of the most cohesives Powell scores. without being too weird, and the themes are brilliantly devoloped.

It's diferent from his other animation scores, since it's darker and more epic, so You can't compare it at all. Anyway, Put Ice Age 3 before this score in your personal list Anthony.... shame rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    All below HAPPY FEET.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    But i hope you're not suggesting that UNITED 93 is noise...when i watched the movie i was so captivated by the whole experience, mostly due to the usage of the music.

No!! It is definitely in the camp of brilliant modern film scoring.
    I need to listen to The Green Zone some more so I can better explain the difference.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    All below HAPPY FEET.

While something of Powell "charm" is lost in Dragon, overall, it's a better album. With longer tracks, thematically better devoloped and with no Mickey mousing. Energic celtic moments, and epic action tracks.

Happy Feet has a lot of short tracks and some annoying pieces like (lovelace's pile, Aidelan), Bolt too many descriptive moments, Horton is too weird....

(it doesn't mean I don't like this scores, in fact I said Happy Feet is probably my favourite powell animation score but they are not so cohesive like Dragon is).

Faaaaaaaar from all this score are Ice age 2 and 3. They has brilliant tracks (waterpark and End Credits ) but there is too much mickey mousing with some highlights of seconds in every track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    The Green Zone is not genius modern film scoring.

I don't think anyone said it was?

I just don't understand the lack of love for Dragon. 'Sides the quality of the recording, which is disappointing, it's brilliant fun.

It is fun. I'm just saying I don't think it's a 5 star score (which would put it on par with Star Wars).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    It is fun. I'm just saying I don't think it's a 5 star score (which would put it on par with Star Wars).

I think a score can be a 5 star score and yet still be a lesser score than Star Wars.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It can. But not How to train your dragon smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

According to you.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indeed. 5 stars, IMO, should be reserved for true classics! (In which case, although a 5 star score could be a 'lesser' score than Star Wars, it shouldn't be by too much... otherwise it would be a 4 star score.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for anyone enjoying a score as much as Jon clearly enjoys this score, and I'm glad he does. But I just strongly disagree with a 5 star rating! All par for the course I guess. :shrug:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

According to you.

-Erik-

Do you think it deserves 5 stars?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Although stars and ratings are all based on subjective elements such as personal tastes and of course those ratings themselves aren't ever concrete, still i think 5 stars should be reserved for the few scores that really deserve it..i am not talking Star Wars et all alone, but there's no way you're going to be as objective as possible when rushing to award such high rates to scores that just came out and are fun, fresh in your mind. Give em some time, see how the thing goes, how the musical experience and listening experience on CD evolves (or not), how memorable and strong it is with the time, IF those are valid and it's not mostly a new-and-fresh thing. That's my point.

Unless someone is clearly awarding scores with high rates based on temporary, solid personal satisfaction regardless of essential in time / etc factors, which is perfectly understandable too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indeed. Also, I should point out I do like How To Train Your Dragon, but I haven't really listened to it that much. It will probably grow on me, even more so when I see the film, I'm sure. (As do most Powell scores.)

I probably won't rate it at 5 stars though, that much is all but certain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

According to you.

-Erik-

After 2 listens... no. But I'm starting to understand why a lot of people really, really like it!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Although stars and ratings are all based on subjective elements such as personal tastes and of course those ratings themselves aren't ever concrete, still i think 5 stars should be reserved for the few scores that really deserve it..i am not talking Star Wars et all alone, but there's no way you're going to be as objective as possible when rushing to award such high rates to scores that just came out and are fun, fresh in your mind. Give em some time, see how the thing goes, how the musical experience and listening experience on CD evolves (or not), how memorable and strong it is with the time, IF those are valid and it's not mostly a new-and-fresh thing. That's my point.

I completely agree with that beer
    I make it a point to ensure that I listen to new scores (and any other music I purchase) at least 5 times before making a final judgment on it (and even deciding which tracks go into my portable player). Assuming I didn't throw it out on the first listen! smile
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Well, to be fair, most people want to read reviews close to the release date, and if all reviewers waited to see how the music stands against the test of time, we'd be getting reviews that are no longer relevant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Nautilus wrote

While something of Powell "charm" is lost in Dragon, overall, it's a better album. With longer tracks, thematically better devoloped and with no Mickey mousing. Energic celtic moments, and epic action tracks.

Happy Feet has a lot of short tracks and some annoying pieces like (lovelace's pile, Aidelan), Bolt too many descriptive moments, Horton is too weird....

(it doesn't mean I don't like this scores, in fact I said Happy Feet is probably my favourite powell animation score but they are not so cohesive like Dragon is).

Faaaaaaaar from all this score are Ice age 2 and 3. They has brilliant tracks (waterpark and End Credits ) but there is too much mickey mousing with some highlights of seconds in every track.

Well said. Now that I have seen the movie I must say this is one of Powell's best - at least in the animation field.
    Definitely a more enjoyable album than his other animation scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

According to you.

-Erik-

After 2 listens... no. But I'm starting to understand why a lot of people really, really like it!

-Erik-

Me too, after I'd shortened the album a bit. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Panthera wrote
    Well, to be fair, most people want to read reviews close to the release date, and if all reviewers waited to see how the music stands against the test of time, we'd be getting reviews that are no longer relevant.

Why? This suggests that a review that comes some months after the initial release is in fact, invalid? I can't disagree more with that.
  1. It's not invalid, just not as popular.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Imo, good reviews are rare and are popular regardless of the release date. See, for instance, Southall's reviews.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Actually, I think Jon Broxton's reviews are very good too. I might not always agree with the rating (just like any other reviewer), but they're well written and the point is clearly made.

Though, to be honest, I rarely read reviews these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I constantly discover older scores by different composers and I love when I can find a review of them on the net. Therefore these older reviews of older CDs are very useful for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    Actually, I think Jon Broxton's reviews are very good too. I might not always agree with the rating (just like any other reviewer), but they're well written and the point is clearly made.

Agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    Blimey. I think it's a pretty run-of-the-mill Powell score, I'd give it about 2 and a half... or maybe 3 if I'm feeling generous (which is still not bad).

Mental. dizzy

Wow. Which John Powell animation score is good enough for a 5 star from you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    None. I don't really rate scores that often, but when and if I do, I only give 5 stars to true classics (or what I and others deem as true classics). But don't get me wrong, I love Powell's music - in fact, I love Powell's music just as much as many of the "5 stars scores" out there. But I can't rate something like How To Train Your Dragon with 5 stars since that would mean it's not far off things like Citizen Kane, Ben-Hur, Star Wars, Star Trek etc. etc. (And ironically I will probably spend more time listening to How To Train Your Dragon in one week than I have ever listened to Citizen Kane in my whole life. But I appreciate Citizen Kane as a True Classic.)

I'm a little diligent with my ratings... a 3 star score is, for me, still a very good score, not just "average".
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    None. I don't really rate scores that often, but when and if I do, I only give 5 stars to true classics (or what I and others deem as true classics). But don't get me wrong, I love Powell's music - in fact, I love Powell's music just as much as many of the "5 stars scores" out there. But I can't rate something like How To Train Your Dragon with 5 stars since that would mean it's not far off things like Citizen Kane, Ben-Hur, Star Wars, Star Trek etc. etc. (And ironically I will probably spend more time listening to How To Train Your Dragon in one week than I have ever listened to Citizen Kane in my whole life. But I appreciate Citizen Kane as a True Classic.)

I'm a little diligent with my ratings... a 3 star score is, for me, still a very good score, not just "average".

Fair enough. I don't usually rate things, but when I do, it's often with a contextual basis behind it, whether on a genre basis, or by longevity.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I love many of Powell's animation scores, but if I were forced to rate them, they'd mostly be 3 or 3 and a half max.

Chicken Run ****
    Bolt *** 1/2
    Kung Fu Panda *** 1/2
    Happy Feet *** 1/2
    How To Train Your Dragon *** 1/2
    Robots ***
    Horton Hears A Who! ***
    Ice Age: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs ***
    Ice Age: The Meltdown ***
    Shrek ***
    Antz ***