• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010
    LSH wrote
    According to Wikipedia, next year.

The Bear and the Bow

!!!!!!!!!!!
    omg

It was Thomas Newman when I saw this wiki page last time....

It's just unreliable wikipedia info but....

shocked dizzy spin punk

Who is Robert Folk? shame
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010
    Miya wrote

I have to say, I would prefer that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2010
    Good capsule review by Garek:

http://www.movie-wave.net/capsules/?p=408

I pretty much agree with everything there. It really is far too long an album, which is why I cut it down to this:

• This is Berk (4:12)
    • Dragon Battle (1:55)
    • Dragon Training (3:10)
    • Focus, Hiccup! (2:05)
    • Forbidden Friendship (4:10)
    • New Tail (2:47)
    • See You Tomorrow (3:52)
    • Test Drive (2:35)
    • Astrid Goes For a Spin (0:45)
    • Romantic Flight (1:55)
    • The Kill Ring (4:27)
    • Battling the Green Death (6:18)
    • Counter Attack (3:02)
    • Coming Back Around (2:49)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    Good capsule review by Garek:

http://www.movie-wave.net/capsules/?p=408

I pretty much agree with everything there. It really is far too long an album, which is why I cut it down to this:

• This is Berk (4:12)
    • Dragon Battle (1:55)
    • Dragon Training (3:10)
    • Focus, Hiccup! (2:05)
    • Forbidden Friendship (4:10)
    • New Tail (2:47)
    • See You Tomorrow (3:52)
    • Test Drive (2:35)
    • Astrid Goes For a Spin (0:45)
    • Romantic Flight (1:55)
    • The Kill Ring (4:27)
    • Battling the Green Death (6:18)
    • Counter Attack (3:02)
    • Coming Back Around (2:49)

Agree with your selection. But I can add " dragon's den" ( a really Cuthroad island like cue ) and "where's hiccup" (with the main theme played by piano)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2010
    I think the length of the score is a blessing as I've got a fairly different playlist from Steven's and it's still a good 45 minutes long.
  1. Just saw the AWESOME movie and immediately bought the download score online.

Frakkingly happy with the whole thing. Beautiful themes, great action stuff, a fantastic score for one of the best family movies in a long time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2010
    Anthony wrote
    I think the length of the score is a blessing as I've got a fairly different playlist from Steven's and it's still a good 45 minutes long.

Good point. Long albums are good for those of us who can be bothered (and enjoy) making our own playlists!
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I multitask when I listen to film music, so I prefer longer albums. I don't want to have to change the music every 30 minutes. I'd rather do what I'm doing and let the music play all the way through.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2010 edited
    LSH wrote
    According to Wikipedia, next year.

The Bear and the Bow

Well! If that's true, I'm doubly excited for it! The combination of Powell with Robert Folk is a little bit unexpected. Folk writes really strong, powerful themes but they're all pretty straightforward--he has a very traditional approach to film scores. Powell on the other hand is all style. But maybe they'd meet in the middle working together; Folk mellowing out Powell's schizophrenic style and Powell spicing up Folk a little. That's kind of how it worked with Powell and Gregson-Williams. Hmm, that could be awesome! Hope Wiki's not lying. wink

Miya wroteWho is Robert Folk? shame

One of the great Lost Composers of our age. Some folks were heralding him as the next John Williams at first, but he really doesn't have quite enough of a unique voice for all that. That should show you that he's quite excellent though. He did all of the Police Academy films. After that studios forgot about him and he's been stuck scoring B-movies and TV shows ever since. This could be a big break for him if it's legitimate info.

Take a look at his site! He has some really great themes on there for download. The best are maybe Lawn Mower Man, Police Academy and Trapped in Paradise, but they're all great.
    -Robert Folk: Audio Page
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    LSH wrote
    Miya wrote

I have to say, I would prefer that.

I'd be happy with either of them biggrin

And thanks for the info Feliz!
    So he has no connection to Powell before? Now the wiki info looks fishy...

But at least it's not so surprising if Powell would score it, because he worked with the director on Prince Of Egypt.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2010 edited
    Panthera wrote
    I multitask when I listen to film music, so I prefer longer albums. I don't want to have to change the music every 30 minutes. I'd rather do what I'm doing and let the music play all the way through.

I listen to music while I'm working as well, but I'd rather listen to a good album at the same time. I do have long albums I listen to, I don't always feel I need to cut them down to 30 minutes or so. But every so often I do since not every score is good enough to warrant 70-80 minutes of album time... for me at least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2010 edited
    Marco Beltrami replaced John Powell on Jonah Hex.

Now, back to the age of Mastodon: The The band had been brought in by Hayward to collaborate on the score with Horton's composer John Powell back in September 2009. However, the reshoots and subsequent reediting meant Powell, who was already booked for Tom Cruise's Knight and Day and Doug Liman's Valerie Plame pic Fair Game, had to leave. "There was no animosity," says Hinds. "He was just like, 'If you haven’t figured out what you’re doing cinematically, I gotta go.'"

In his place, composer Marco Beltrami (Repo Men) was hired to work with Mastodon. (A spokesman for Warner Records said the label would not comment on the soundtrack nor Mastodon’s role in it.) “All of a sudden, there’s this new guy, who went in a different direction," continues Hinds, who by that point was on a world tour with the band. "And there was no way he could connect with me: They brought all the new scenes to us, but I was on tour this entire time, so I had no time to preconceive what I wanted the movie to sound like. Being so busy ... it's hard to be creative when you're going through the same motions every day [onstage]."

Hinds says that Beltrami wanted a more restrained, subtle approach than the vigorous shredding Mastodon recorded for Hex in L.A. last fall. "I totally had to go back and start over again," says Hinds, reached in Atlanta as he prepped for the band’s 37-date spring tour of North America, which begins in Charleston, South Carolina, tonight. "We’re still working on it. We wrapped a little of it today; we’re doing a little more tomorrow. Tomorrow is enough for me. I was finished months ago. We had such short notice to work on the thing."

Though constant last-minute change isn't a new phenomenon in Hollywood, Hinds, a first-time movie composer, has found the process frustrating. "I blew my wad over there," he says of the time Mastodon spent recording and composing in L.A. last fall. "It was some of the best shit I’ve ever written in my life. Now I’m just trying to finish with as much patience as possible."
    • CommentAuthortimme
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010
    Does anybody know if there's going to be a score release for Knight and Day? I was hoping that Varese already made the announcement since this film is going to be released on june 25th. Let's hope this one get's a release because I really like Powell's action scores.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010
    Hope so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010
    Anthony wrote
    Hope so.

If not, Zimmer will do a phone call to Mr Smile.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010
    ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010
    Does anyone know who did what in the three animation collaborations between Powell and Gregson-Williams? The dragon theme from Shrek has a clear Powell sound. I'm also guessing that the main theme from Chicken run could be Powell due to the similar sound in his Ice age 2 score.

Any ideas? Or links?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010 edited
    Right here -

Antz - http://www.hans-zimmer.com/fr/newsite.p … &id=99

Chicken Run - http://www.hans-zimmer.com/fr/newsite.p … amp;id=135

I'll be looking up Shrek in a minute. smile

Edit: I can't find the credits for Shrek. Weird, because I seem to recall seeing them somewhere. But I do know the main "Fairytale" theme is by HGW, along with the music from the finale and track 2 Ogre Hunters / Fairytale Deathcamp. The dragon ride music indeed seems to be by Powell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Wow, thanks Ravi!!!

It's fun to finally see it, as it confirms many of my suspicions. It's not surprising to see that John Powell composed 2/3s of the tracks for Antz and Chicken run as I've always found these scores to be more Powell than Gregson-Williams.

Hope the Shrek credits exist somewhere as well. Will get searching for it too.

Oh, while we're at it, I'm also wondering about his collaborations with Zimmer, i.e. The road to El Dorado and Kung fu panda.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    These are the details of Kung Fu Panda (thanks to Hybrid Soldier) -

Hero (4:41)
    Hans Zimmer, John Powell
    Let The Tournament Begin (1:58)
    Hans Zimmer, John Powell, Henry Jackman
    Dragon Warrior Is Among Us (2:56)
    Hans Zimmer, John Powell
    Tai Lung Escapes (7:05)
    Hans Zimmer, John Powell
    Peach Tree Of Wisdom (1:53)
    Hans Zimmer, John Powell
    Accu-Flashback (4:04)
    Impersonating Shifu (2:17)
    Hans Zimmer, John Powell
    Sacred Pool Of Tears (9:50)
    Hans Zimmer, John Powell, James McKee Smith
    Training Po (1:28)
    Hans Zimmer, John Powell
    The Bridge (3:22)
    Shifu Faces Tai Lung (4:46)
    The Dragon Scroll (2:31)
    Hans Zimmer, John Powell
    Po VS Tai Lung (2:40)
    Hans Zimmer, John Powell
    Dragon Warrior Rises (3:22)
    Hans Zimmer, John Powell
    Panda Po (2:39)
    Hans Zimmer, John Powell
    Oogway Ascends (2:03)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Ah, so the tracks in Kung fu panda aren't composed individually as in Antz and Chicken run? Or perhaps it's just impossible to figure out exactly who wrote what.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Found the credits for Shrek! (here)

1 - Fairytale Harry Gregson-Williams
    2 - Ogre Hunters - Fairytale Deathcamp John Powell
    3 - Donkey Meets Shrek John Powell
    4 - Eating Alone Harry Gregson-Williams
    5 - Univited Guests Harry Gregson-Williams
    6 - March Of Farquuad John Powell
    7 - The Perfect King John Powell
    8 - Welcome To Duloc Mike Himelstein, Eric Darnell
    9 - Tournament Speech Harry Gregson-Williams
    10 - What Kind Of Quest Harry Gregson-Williams
    11 - Dragon! - Fiona Awakens John Powell, Harry Gregson-Williams
    12 - One Of A Kind Knight John Powell
    13 - Saving Donkey's As.s John Powell
    14 - Escape From The Dragon John Powell
    15 - Helmet Hair Harry Gregson-Williams
    16 - Delivery Boy Shrek - Making Camp John Powell
    17 - Friends Journey To Duloc Harry Gregson-Williams, John Powell
    18 - Starry Night John Powell
    19 - Singing Princess John Powell
    20 - Better Out Than In - Sunflower - I'll Tell Him John Powell, Harry Gregson-Williams
    21 - Merry Men Kirby Tepper, Andrew Adamson, Conrad Vernon
    22 - Fiona Kicks A.ss John Powell
    23 - Fiona's Secret Harry Gregson-Williams
    24 - Why Wait To Be Wed - You Thought Wrong Harry Gregson-Williams, John Powell
    25 - Ride The Dragon John Powell
    26 - I Object John Powell
    27 - Transformation - The End Harry Gregson-Williams
    28 - It Is You (I Have Loved) Harry Gregson-Williams, John Powell, Gavin Greenaway

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Yeah, I heard the work for KFP was more or less evenly distributed between HZ and Powell. It shows in the score too - for example, in The Bridge you have Powell's trademark heavy percussive rhythms and Zimmer's signature blaring horns alongside.

Thanks for the Shrek credits, I missed them in the thread. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Ah, thanks. smile

I wonder how exact the Shrek credits are though. Track 1 and 19 have the same melody but one is credited to Harry and the other to John. slant

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    HGW came up with the main Shrek theme, Powell did the rearrangement for Singing Princess.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010
    I'm eagerly awaiting and hoping that Powell and ZImmer return for the Kung Fu Panda sequel. If not both of them, at least 1.
  2. Zimmer will.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Anthony wrote
    HGW came up with the main Shrek theme, Powell did the rearrangement for Singing Princess.

Ah, think I'd rather credit it to Harry then as the melody is really what matters.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Zimmer will.

Is this confirmed?
  3. Depends on what you mean by confirmed. If you ask about GSA or the studio then no, it's not.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website