• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2010
    Wasn't actually more original music on the CD for the Bourne Ultimatum while in he movie a lot of tracks from the previous two were used?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yup. Tangiers cuts to Berlin Foot Chase about half way through. I don't know why, as they're practically the same piece of music. There's a lot of tracking in Ultimatum which I consider to be the weakest score of the three. Kinda sucks after the complete and sheer awesomeness of Supremacy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Anthony wrote
    Looks like someone has just tracked in the music from the previous films and called it expanded.

That's exactly what happened. I want all of 7the ORIGINAL tracks that John had done. Though most are already released, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2010
    Gha... Why did someone had to bring up Bourne again. Just the mention of it makes me want to listen to "Tangiers" again...
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorKapucka
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2010 edited
    So what's your oppinion about the "Knight and Day" ? I've already listened, and it's fantastic ! punk The "Bull Run" it's awesome ! Perfect combination of the string, wind and mainly the percussion section as always !

Anyway, this is the main reason why I love Powell because of his percussions biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2010
    It's alright. Far from his best and a little predictable but still good. Doesn't top the dragon one though. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2010
    No way. I'd be surprised if any Hollywood animation score tops Dragon this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKapucka
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2010 edited
    So the Fair Game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCuaNhY8 … ature=fvst

0:07, 0:27, 0:36, 0:45 These are all Powell's music isn't it ? I can't wait to hear cheesy Genius !!!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2010
    Sounds like trailer music. I doubt it.

To be fair if we got something like that from Powell I'd be hugely disappointed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKapucka
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2010 edited
    I don't know but these drums and these percussions... pure Powell ! e.g 0:27 awesome !
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2010
    Nutjobs are so fun.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2010
    Who's the nutjob?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKapucka
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2010 edited
    I have to buy a CD again: http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2010/09 … -doug.html

At last ! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorKapucka
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2010
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cd version here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00440 … mp;s=music
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2010 edited
    Seems to be a throwback to the Bourne Identity sound; nothing new or memorable, but potentially fun enough. Sounds a bit like Powell on autopilot though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hm...come on Mr.Powell....
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hm...come on Mr.Powell....

Indeed. Does he really need to keep scoring this kind of films?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Or animation. Don't get me wrong, it's fun, but he's getting into the Brian Tyler loop, providing variations on the same thing over and over again. Except if they really have a limited canvas and we are simply asking too much from them/overrating them?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Except if they really have a limited canvas and we are simply asking too much from them/overrating them?

That's a VERY interesting question.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I don't believe so. Brian Tyler as well as John Powell have surprised us before with a sound we didn't think them capable of, for example Powell's deeply emotional work for United 93 or Brian Tyler's scores for Bug and The Killing Room - both very much outside of his so called comfort zone. If they have surprised us in the past, I'm sure they'll surprise us in the future. It's only a matter of opportunity, with directors and studio's often referring to a sound they know and know the audience will like as opposed to new stuff. We just have to wait for them getting another uncommercial project... And it seems Tyler is just having too much fun with his current bombastic style to go out of his way and create something different.

In the case of Fair Game, it seems obvious Liman just temped his film with Identity, asking Powell of a retreat to that score. He works with too much familair people (he also has a certain 'Greengrass-sound' and a 'Blue Sky-sound'), which is understandable, since it guarantees him work.

(BTW, as I'm typing this I'm listening for the first time to a How to Train Your Dragon suite, which includes several fresh sounds for Powell, so this proves it! Have we already forgotten this?).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Dragon is fresh Powell, how come? We are discussing here, don't get defensive. If you see it like this, you'll always find answers to cover everything; but i like to see things a bit more realistic wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Hmm... I'll ignore your last sentence.

It was an initial surprise of the sheer bombasm and weight of the orchestra I hadn't heard from him before. Sure, he's done action before and orchestral stuff, yet not on this epic scale with incorporation of ethnic elements and a certain moment of soft choir. It's not a 180 degrees turn in direction, yet still, it's a step forward. As was Horton Hears A Who; love it or hate it, Powell certainly experimented with inventive sounds, as he also did for Robots.

It all boils down to the question; how far do you expect a composer to stretch before you agree that he's exploring new grounds, and how much of a sound is a composers trademark and when do we step into blatant self-copying?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You are a man of extremes. Who said it's either inventing new grounds OR blatant self-copying?

As for new grounds, he really did it in Paycheck, bourne, united 93 / stop-loss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I'm merely stretching things in order to make myself clear.

Christodoulides wrote
    As for new grounds, he really did it in Paycheck, bourne, united 93 / stop-loss.

Are you talking here about his personal new grounds, or general new grounds? If it's the former, don't count out his animation works.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    BobdH wrote
    as I'm typing this I'm listening for the first time to a How to Train Your Dragon suite

Where?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Or animation. Don't get me wrong, it's fun, but he's getting into the Brian Tyler loop, providing variations on the same thing over and over again. Except if they really have a limited canvas and we are simply asking too much from them/overrating them?

If John Powell is in a loop, it's gotta be the greatest loop in the history of the Universe. Give that guy some more animation.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2010
    BobdH wrote
    Seems to be a throwback to the Bourne Identity sound; nothing new or memorable, but potentially fun enough. Sounds a bit like Powell on autopilot though.

I don't think so. Nothing about Bourne Identity came into my mind while listening to the samples.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2010
    Another Powell score perhaps then?

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=29177