• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2010
    plindboe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Or animation. Don't get me wrong, it's fun, but he's getting into the Brian Tyler loop, providing variations on the same thing over and over again. Except if they really have a limited canvas and we are simply asking too much from them/overrating them?

If John Powell is in a loop, it's gotta be the greatest loop in the history of the Universe. Give that guy some more animation.

Peter punk

Yeah. I'd take more of his animation music any day. Keep it coming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Or animation. Don't get me wrong, it's fun, but he's getting into the Brian Tyler loop, providing variations on the same thing over and over again. Except if they really have a limited canvas and we are simply asking too much from them/overrating them?

I think I agree with this generally. Powell's animation scores are OK, but enough already. Would be nice for someone else do it and for him to work on something more stretching.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, and for Powell to move onto new territories; i think he's a composer with a very rich canvas to be wasted in the same and same scores and variations. I don't expect biased people to agree with me though wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2010
    More live action adventure stuff please.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That Paycheck score..mmm mmm sir! And what he did for UNITED 93 and STOP LOSS, is also very impressive at least to me, esp. after i've seen the movies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Having just watched How To Train Your Dragon for the first time (and already in love with the score beforehand) I can honestly say that John Powell is far from being in a Brian Tyler loop or any similar notion. Both film and score are wonderful, best thing Dreamworks has ever made, and I'd even go as far as saying this is Powell's best score for an animation. I've never seen a better marriage of music to film from a Powell animation score, except perhaps for Chicken Run. But what wins me over in 'Dragon' is the emotion, and as great as Chicken Run is, it pales in comparison to 'Dragon' in terms of emotion. Sure, it won't be remembered for its originality relative to Powell's other scores, but who cares when it works so well? I certainly don't. I just know that I love it. (The irony being I was a little lukewarm towards it when I first heard it. Quite ashamed of that actually.)

Seems to me whatever a composer does, someone will complain from the comfort of their computer chair to a bunch of other people on their computer chairs. Perhaps this is why I've been less-than-active on the forum for some time, and perhaps for other reasons. But if it's a case of being biased and unable to see reality, then I'm proud to admit I'm biased and unable to see reality. Obnoxiously proud.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I think you see reality quite accurately.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    yeah

I haven't seen the film yet (will get the DVD as soon as I can find it), but the score of HTTYD, for me, has more raw emotion and dramatic power than a majority of the live-action scores these days. The cue Forbidden Friendship alone is one of the most heart-warming pieces I've heard in recent times and I sincerely hope JP gets an Oscar nod at least. A sequel is most welcome by me and I'm greatly looking forward to it. smile
  1. Well spoken. Both of you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Seems to me whatever a composer does, someone will complain from the comfort of their computer chair to a bunch of other people on their computer chairs. Perhaps this is why I've been less-than-active on the forum for some time, and perhaps for other reasons. But if it's a case of being biased and unable to see reality, then I'm proud to admit I'm biased and unable to see reality. Obnoxiously proud.

There's nothing wrong with liking something and nobody is saying anybody else is wrong if they like it. People are only expressing their opinion. And in this case people (only two people) are saying that while they like Powell's animation scores, they'd rather he did something else instead. If you really do only want to read that everyone likes everything then I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want to browse the forum, but I don't think that's what you really meant (nor do I know what you did really mean).

I could also say that while I'd be pleased if I heard that George Lucas was doing another Star Wars this year and John Williams was scoring, I'd much rather he did another score like Sleepers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2010 edited
    The forum, just like society, is a place to share your opinions with other people whose own opinion interests you as well. Nothing wrong with not being able / wanting to participate in this, but nothing wrong with those who do it either. It's about the choices we make, nothing more, nothing less. And this especially is not about complaining, we are simply discussing; complaining and bitching is what someone who only chooses to focus on the negatives, would haved observed.

Having said that, i still haven't seen the movie (which has a very high rating and good reviews) and i am looking forward to beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    W-e-e-e-e-e-l-l...I kinda understand where Steven is coming from.
    It's not about differing opinions, I think. It's about statements being made as fact or even science or even obvious truth, where they are indeed no more than opinions.

Whatever anyone more or less in the public eye does will have its detractors.
    And many of them will offer their opinion more often than not in most absolute and unmitigated terms.

And of course with the advent of the internet, it's quite logical that these discussions (or venting of opinions) will take place rather more in cyberspace than in real life. Don't know about you guys, but there is positively no one in my direct surroundings I could have any kind of meaningful discussion on film music about!

Yet this strange, new interaction where we discuss without the added benefit of other communication essentials like body language, direct interaction, tone, inflection (and drinks!), compells us often to make our points within the confines of our own direct physical surroundings (which are a comfort zone!) and -logically- from a comfort zone state of mind. Which makes many points we make sometimes more read like an Absolute Truth rather than "just another" opinion.

That said, critics tend to find fault.
    That's their job (whether ina professional or amateur fashion): to find fault.
    So as much of the negative as the gushing is only to be expected.

The objective observation, or personal emotional experience are indeed generally gems in a chest of plastic baubles...but all the more valued for that!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Martijn wrote
    compells us often to make our points within the confines of our own direct physical surroundings (which are a comfort zone!) and -logically- from a comfort zone state of mind.

um no not me
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    So from what physial location do you make the better part of your posts, Matt? smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn, we all pretty much know each other here, in many ways, physical or not; i am sure it's not too hard (and with the added help of the tone, words like "i think" "imo" etc) to get the thinking behind it and that me, Southall or anyone else are indeed expressing opinions. Otherwise i don't see the point of ever discussing anything in any online forum, especially such subjective topics like our's - in the first place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That wasn't really the crux of what I was trying to say: we know the points made by most of the regulars here are opinions, and certainly do not need an "in my opinion" prefacing every single post!

My point was rather more the sometimes abolutist tone that might dilute the message.
    Especially when it comes to posts with a more negative content.

I'm not making any judgement calls.
    It's just something I pick up from Steven's post as something meaningful.
    Who knows, I might completely misinterpret. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    W-e-e-e-e-e-l-l...I kinda understand where Steven is coming from.
    It's not about differing opinions, I think. It's about statements being made as fact or even science or even obvious truth, where they are indeed no more than opinions.

Whatever anyone more or less in the public eye does will have its detractors.
    And many of them will offer their opinion more often than not in most absolute and unmitigated terms.

And of course with the advent of the internet, it's quite logical that these discussions (or venting of opinions) will take place rather more in cyberspace than in real life. Don't know about you guys, but there is positively no one in my direct surroundings I could have any kind of meaningful discussion on film music about!

Yet this strange, new interaction where we discuss without the added benefit of other communication essentials like body language, direct interaction, tone, inflection (and drinks!), compells us often to make our points within the confines of our own direct physical surroundings (which are a comfort zone!) and -logically- from a comfort zone state of mind. Which makes many points we make sometimes more read like an Absolute Truth rather than "just another" opinion.

That said, critics tend to find fault.
    That's their job (whether ina professional or amateur fashion): to find fault.
    So as much of the negative as the gushing is only to be expected.

The objective observation, or personal emotional experience are indeed generally gems in a chest of plastic baubles...but all the more valued for that!

Spot on Martijn.

Luckily, unlike your good self, I do have many friends who I can have deep and meaningful conversations about music though ( you guessed it ) not so deep and meaningful when it comes to film music, still, I am quite blessed to have some friends that have a healthy interest in it.

It would be nice not to use icons but they're necessary, I do feel I know some people well enough to not have to put a wink or whatever after every wisecrack or sarcastic but said with warmth comment.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't think you misinterpret at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Martijn wrote
    So from what physial location do you make the better part of your posts, Matt? smile

Home, and work smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorKapucka
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2010
    Scribe wrote
    Martijn wrote

Home, and work smile

So that's exactly what I mean by "comfort zone".
    Familiar surroundings -in general!- gives one a sense of control, and that is something that -again, in general!- may tend to influence the way and tone one puts things. That's my hypothesis: our surroundings greatly influence our state of mind, and logically by extension, our behaviour.

Not that this is always crucial in any cyber-communication.
    But it may be part of Steven's observation of a certain harshness of tone here and there.

Really I'm only speculating, but as one always having been interested in patterns of behaviour it's an interesting meta-discussion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Martijn wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Martijn wrote

Home, and work smile

So that's exactly what I mean by "comfort zone".
    Familiar surroundings -in general!- gives one a sense of control, and that is something that -again, in general!- may tend to influence the way and tone one puts things. That's my hypothesis: our surroundings greatly influence our state of mind, and logically by extension, our behaviour.

So, if you lived and worked in the Gaza Strip, would you still call home and work a "comfort zone"?

You can't assume that home and work are comfort zones for everyone.

Which is not to say that you don't have a good point. You have a very good point.

It's just not entirely true for me. And yes, I am exaggerating to make a point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Scribe wrote
    So, if you lived and worked in the Gaza Strip, would you still call home and work a "comfort zone"?

You can't assume that home and work are comfort zones for everyone.

Ah, I see.
    Well, "Comfort Zone" really refers to comfort in the psychological sense of the phrase, which I admit is biased as it certainly suggests a level of security. However "Comfort Zone" has far more to do with a state of mind than a warm cosy fire and tea and cookies (yeah, I'm exaggerating as well wink ) . It's a place where you are in control. Where you know the ins and outs of everyday life, the rules that keep you going and where you are an expert in your own right.

In that sense, people in the Gaza Strip (or indeed basically everyone with their own (little) surroundings) certainly are able to speak from a comfort zone. Obviously it's a notably different one from your own! ...but -as I said- the state of mind that goes with it is the same: you speak from a position of control (which I guess is a far better way of putting it than "comfort")
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Martijn wrote
    It's a place where you are in control. Where you know the ins and outs of everyday life

What if the basic condition of your everyday life is not being in control, and what if your everyday state of mind has nothing to do with comfort?

just for the sake of argument
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Then I doubt very seriously one would be putting any effort or priority on posting on a film music website! smile

Seriously though, such a basic lack of control as you suggest indicates a pretty disturbing psychological disposition. At such a point all bets are off as simple generalities do not apply!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    bwahahahahaha biggrin

Also, John Powell is awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    John who?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    John woo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    W00t! John!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    James Horner
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!