• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2012 edited
    Ice Age: Continental Drift

Out 7th July

Front cover
    Back Cover

1. Morning Peaches (2:22)
    2. Schism (2:28)
    3. Storm (3:50)
    4. No Exit Gutt (5:37)
    5. Escape from Captivity (3:02)
    6. New Loves (4:50)
    7. Hydraxes / Prison Talk (2:57)
    8. Diversion (3:57)
    9. Pirating the Pirates (4:37)
    10. Teen Cave (4:42)
    11. Sirens (2:35)
    12. Land Bridge Trap (8:22)
    13. Herd Reunion (3:08)
    14. Scrat’s Fantasia on a Theme by LVB (5:30)

57:57

Nice cover art, and thank God it isn't 38 tracks like the last one.
  1. I agree, good to see longer tracks here
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2012
    I hope its better than Happy Feet 2, which is basically the worst animation score Powell has ever done by a huge margin. The last Ice Age was brilliant IMO, I loved the Holst references and the new theme and the gloriously old-school, overture-like end credits.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2012
    I didn't really get much from The Lorax or Happy Feet Two so let's hope this is a return to form.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2012
    I love Powell... but have had enough of his animations. Take a break for a few years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    I love Powell... but have had enough of his animations. Take a break for a few years.

Listen to Green zone and Fair game, and you'll be regret saying that. The guy is born to score animated movies.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Listen to Paycheck and The Bourne Supremacy and you'll regret saying that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    If he scored like that today, I would gladly welcome more non-animated scores. Judging by how he is today as a composer, his non-animated scores tend to be auto-piloty and disappointing.

Anyway, it's not that I oppose the non-animated scores, as I'm sure he still have the gift to make something special, but when people treat it as a problem that he focuses on animated scores I find it hard to agree, as I find him the champ of animated scores.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  2. New reviews:

- Endurance
    - Fair Game
    - Green Zone
    - Ice Age 4: Continental Drift
    - Jumper
    - Knight and Day
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2013
    There is a disturbing absence of Powell in 2013.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2013
    I wouldn't mind if he is taking a break to refresh his creativity because his last year has probably been one of the least inspired of his career. There was some nice stuff (the piano theme in The Lorax, for example) but it was all stuff he could have written in his sleep.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. I keep trying to tell myself that, but I'm definitely going to miss Powell this year. There were some very intriguing rumors of movies he was supposed to be attached to flying around a while back - Mad Max 4, the Carrie remake, Captain Philips...I'd love to hear him tackle stuff like that. Alas, it would seem that even after the self-imposed hiatus he seems to be on, he's got nothing but animated movies stretching ahead of him as far as the eye can see.

Well, as long as he delivers more Kung Fu Panda 2/Mars Needs Moms/How to Train Your Dragon type scores, and less Happy Feet Two/The Lorax/Ice Age 4 type scores, I'll be pleased as punch. lick
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2013 edited
    I think the past year has been really, really weak for him. Whether it was the films he was writing for, or maybe he was lacking in ideas. Happy Feet Two, The Lorax and Ice Age 4 really were three of his weakest scores.

2003 & 2004 were his best years (hopefully to be beaten someday) with the lines of The Italian Job, Agent Cody Banks, Paycheck and The Bourne Supremacy.

I do hope he comes back in full force, because John Powell kicks some serious arse when he writes to his strengths (a.k.a the above).
  4. Anthony wrote
    I think the past year has been really, really weak for him. Whether it was the films he was writing for, or maybe he was lacking in ideas. Happy Feet Two, The Lorax and Ice Age 4 really were three of his weakest scores.

Perhaps not his least listenable, but certainly some of his least creative, distinctive and cohesive. I do think The Lorax has its moments ("Thneedville Chase") but that's it, moments.

2003 & 2004 were his best years (hopefully to be beaten someday) with the lines of The Italian Job, Agent Cody Banks, Paycheck and The Bourne Supremacy.

Well, Supremacy was his only score in '04 so I'm not sure if I can consider that one a top drawer year, but if you combine it with his 2003 output I agree. It's the period during which Powell really found his voice and truly distanced himself from his roots. Not that he hadn't written great stuff prior to that but '03 was really the coming-out party.

2001, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010 and 2011 are the top Powell years for me. I know that's a lot of years in a short period of time, but, well, any Filmtracks regulars here will already know how it is with me and JP. biggrin
  5. Edmund Meinerts wrote[QUOTE]Well, Supremacy was his only score in '04 so I'm not sure if I can consider that one a top drawer year, but if you combine it with his 2003 output I agree.

I'd consider 2004 a top drawer year for ANY composer if SUPREMACY were the only score he or she had written. smile
  6. Mike Skerritt wrote
    I'd consider 2004 a top drawer year for ANY composer if SUPREMACY were the only score he or she had written. smile

Oh, sure...I just have issues saying a composer's had a good year if he's only done one score, no matter how good. Quantity AND quality. wink
  7. Feliz wrote
    There is a disturbing absence of Powell in 2013.

I remember reading he was going to take a year off. I don't know when that started though, since some filsm record the scores six months or more in advance.

I assume it already started, based on the number of films he was going to score or was rumored to be scoring, that have changed to other composers.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2013
    Anthony wrote

I do hope he comes back in full force, because John Powell kicks some serious arse when he writes to his strengths (a.k.a the above).

Indeed, relaxing and taking some time off to perhaps comes with new tricks in the bag, is the best way to go for now.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  8. Something I wish Hans did.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Something I wish Hans did.

Where's the nodding vigorously smiley? I've been listening to some of his early scores again. He's capable of much more than he's cranking out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Overreact much? The guy has one off year and all hell breaks loose? I mean, he's only two years removed from How To Train Your Dragon. Yeah, remember that one. His first Academy Award nominated score. The IFMCA Award winning score for score of the year. Come down folks. Actually, now that I think of it The Lorax and Ice Age 13 weren't that bad.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    Oh, I was talking about Hans. I'm not worried about Powell at all.
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    Overreact much? The guy has one off year and all hell breaks loose? I mean, he's only two years removed from How To Train Your Dragon. Yeah, remember that one. His first Academy Award nominated score. The IFMCA Award winning score for score of the year. Come down folks. Actually, now that I think of it The Lorax and Ice Age 13 weren't that bad.

-Erik-

^ This. His latest output has been okay, it's just also been a bit...uninspired-feeling. But I certainly don't think it's cause for alarm or anything and I agree people have been overreacting a little. I guess folks just expect a lot from Powell. I know I do!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2013 edited
    New interview with Powell:

http://www.spitfireaudio.com/category/features
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  10. Demetris wrote

That's an...unusual interview. I couldn't tell where the jokes stopped, if at all. You don't see a lot of interviews with Powell...maybe this is why. dizzy

But I'm not sure I agree with his sentiments on film music at the very end there...
  11. If John Powell had scored Man of Steel...

That track from Hancock has long eluded me, and to suddenly find it SFX-free on YouTube is an unexpected treat. cheesy
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2013
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

That's an...unusual interview. I couldn't tell where the jokes stopped, if at all. You don't see a lot of interviews with Powell...maybe this is why. dizzy

But I'm not sure I agree with his sentiments on film music at the very end there...

Yeah, diplomacy doesn't seem to be his strong suit. That said, it was pretty entertaining.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote

His favourite score is Symphony # 5 by Vaughan Williams? I cannot fault the mans taste! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthor.KK
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

I still don't quite buy that interview...must be some kind of prank or something. I just can't imagine a professional speaking like that in an interview.

Powell always seemed like a nice guy too...