• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2008
    HANS ZIMMER - pirates of the Caribbean : at world's end

Still in big Zimmer kick-ass loud music mood since last night's THE DARK KNIGHT. Heavily enjoyable.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. That´s funny. I made a tape for the car with the Dark Knight score, and to fill up the remaining 20 something minutes, I used the last four tracks from At World´s End. It´s amazing how GREAT that chorus and the following long action sequence track feel like right after A Dark Knight!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    "I Don't Think Now Is the Best Time" is easily one of the most impressive and coherent compositions by Zimmer to date. The final 2 and a half minutes are breathtaking and having watched the movie recently, i couldn't help but to feel stunned by the use of the music and the music itself throughout.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    "I Don't Think Now Is the Best Time" is easily one of the most impressive and coherent compositions by Zimmer to date. The final 2 and a half minutes are breathtaking and having watched the movie recently, i couldn't help but to feel stunned by the use of the music and the music itself throughout.

Agreed, but I still would like to listen the movie version of this theme!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Was it too different than what's on the CD? Can't remember.

n.p HANS ZIMMER and JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - batman begins

I think people are being too unfair to this. Not too many differences with The Dark Knight but a lot of similarities between them imo, don't grant the vast difference in reactions between the two; first being tossed and second being celebrated largely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    You have no idea HOW MUCH I agree. I think TDK went a step ahead of BB, but not so much that its heritage isn´t felt in every single track. The enthusiasm for TDK just proves what I always said, BB was amazingly underrated. Together, they make an extraordinary pair I´ll revisit again and again until my dying day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Agree, i couldn't think of anything else that would elevate Nolan's Batman films even more, especially the Dark Knight which is simply brilliant.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SECRET OF THE SAHARA - Ennio Morricone

One of my all time favourite Morricone scores, this is just brilliant! punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote

One of my all time favourite Morricone scores, this is just brilliant! punk cool

Yes!! YES!

I wonder what Tim thinks of it? (not timmer)
    How would he doing on his new job?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yes!! YES!

I wonder what Tim thinks of it? (not timmer)
    How would he doing on his new job?

Indeed! I liked how Zimmer copied it in Gladiator wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP - Red Cliff - Taro Iwashiro

I'm only on the second track and I'm liking it very much. I love the main theme. The second track happen to be an action track of sort. Very western, with percussion drums and punctuating flute accenting the orchestra while it's doing variations of the Red Cliff theme.

Oh wait... third track's already playing. It's another actiony track, with lots of horn and percussions...with some synth(!) but it's not bad.

Fourth track is a nice respite from the last 12 minute of action, with flute reciting the Red Cliff theme, backed by orchestra.... oh a sub theme in there....

Ah wait, 5th track, a darker piece, heavy on the string, with trumpets and horn.

So far, this seems to be a monothematic score, albeit with some interesting variation... The CD looks to have about 55-58 minute of score, followed by a 7 minute song... Since the movie is about 4 hours long, this might be a really condensed version of the score. It doesn't sound "chinese" but does contain some ethnic writing style and instruments.

More to come 6th track seems to be getting back to the action.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote

At least it blended in with everything else and sounded more like an extension of the Gladiator universe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote

I think it's very monotonous. Compared to other Taro Iwashiro scores which are largely superior (see below) it feels rather uninspired and on auto-pilot, imo.

Nihon chinbotsu (The Sinking of JapaN)
    Haru no yuki (Snowy Love Fall in Spring)
    Shinobi
    Chi to hone ( Blood and Bones )
    Azumi
    Salinui chueok (Memories of Murder)
    And what i consider to be his most beautiful work to date, Gekijôban Furandaasu no inu (Dog of Flanders)

Top stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

At least it blended in with everything else and sounded more like an extension of the Gladiator universe.

That's true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Is this thread gonna go into the tripple digits???
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Don't know.......ask a moderator!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    As a moderator, I think this thread is indeed going into trippple digits!

But perhaps only one page then. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote

I think it's very monotonous. Compared to other Taro Iwashiro scores which are largely superior (see below) it feels rather uninspired and on auto-pilot, imo.

Nihon chinbotsu (The Sinking of JapaN)
    Haru no yuki (Snowy Love Fall in Spring)
    Shinobi
    Chi to hone ( Blood and Bones )
    Azumi
    Salinui chueok (Memories of Murder)
    And what i consider to be his most beautiful work to date, Gekijôban Furandaasu no inu (Dog of Flanders)

Top stuff.

It is a monothematic score (and what a nice theme it is), but it's certainly isn't "monotonous" like you put it. Plus this isn't a Japanese production either, the requirements are certainly different.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp, have you heard the scores i mention?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Medal Of Honor: Rising Sun - Christopher Lennertz

Lennertz is currently my favourite 'lesser-known' composer, someone who deserves more than the awful comedy projects he is being offered at the moment. His video game scores however are nothing short of fantastic! This one was the first I heard from him and he certainly is a worthy successor of Giacchino for the Medal Of Honor series. Thrilling stuff!

punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    As a moderator, I think this thread is indeed going into trippple digits!

But perhaps only one page then. smile

kiss beer Dats why you da man cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp, have you heard the scores i mention?

Unfortunately no, though I've listened to enough Japanese scores to know the differences and what to expect. I'll be on the lookout for those scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    n.p HANS ZIMMER and JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - batman begins

I think people are being too unfair to this. Not too many differences with The Dark Knight but a lot of similarities between them imo, don't grant the vast difference in reactions between the two; first being tossed and second being celebrated largely.

It is a bit of a struggle. While my reading of the scores is very different from yours (the first is poor, the second is OK) they are hardly vastly different enough to explain the "first one's rubbish, second one's best thing ever" attitude many people seem to have.

Anyway, NP Masters of the Universe - Bill Conti

Uber-derivative, but very good fun.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LAWRENCE OF ARABIA - Maurice Jarre

I see a theme developing in my NP's this evening cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    You have no idea HOW MUCH I agree. I think TDK went a step ahead of BB, but not so much that its heritage isn´t felt in every single track. The enthusiasm for TDK just proves what I always said, BB was amazingly underrated. Together, they make an extraordinary pair I´ll revisit again and again until my dying day.

Here is why I like (not love) The Dark Knight better than Batman Begins.

First of all, I don't mind Zimmer and Howard's approach in the first film... meaning something a bit more serious and not so cartoon super hero like. Fine. That's what they are going for so I will give them the benifit of the doubt no matter how much I disagree with it. However, what was eventually composed was something so unbelievably bland that it makes me scratch my head that it took TWO people to compose that crap.

So, when it came down to The Dark Knight I already had expectations based on the first score as to what the sequel would sound like. Well, surprisingly what we got, like all GOOD sequel scores, was a piece of music that went one better than the original but all the while still complemented the original. So, while the same "more serious" approach was used... simplify OR dumb down the music... I think that Zimmer and Howard managed to improve on the already established sound by adding new and far more interesting ideas to the already established musical palette.

The opening cue is fantastic (albeit a Goldenthal rip off,) Howard's new Harvey Dent theme is something I was hoping to hear in the first score and the adaptation and variations on the already existing material is much approved on in The Dark Knight. I find it a much more cohesive listen and far more interesting musically. However, there are still a bunch of cues that are still as bland and uninteresting as the stuff in the first score and the final 16 minute cue is simply one of the most overrated cues of Zimmer's career.

So, I don't LOVE The Dark Knight but I can appreciate that ZImmer and Howard actually did something more with this score and slightly improved on one of the most uninteresting and overrated scores that has come along in sometime.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    shocked

Still listening to Star Wars... had to take a LONG break to do some actual work. Anyway, I just finished playing "Burning Homestead"

SCOREGASM!

This is a track that is rarely mentioned but I think it contains my all time favorite rendition of the "Force Theme." The cellos play the theme... and then those French Horns come in right at the end and... well, goosebumps every single time. A cue that only John Williams could compose. And the transition to the Imperial Theme is absolutely magnificent! Goddammit... what a fricking amazing score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Was it too different than what's on the CD? Can't remember.

Yes, much more action music, and a couple of great renditions of the Hoist the Colours Theme, plus the choir version of one of the themes.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP - Kevin Kiner - The Clone Wars.

I swear, this sounds like a John Debney/Joel McNeely jobber, with competent orchestral fireworks that are destined to be buried under the sound mix. Functional stuff, but nothing exceptional for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    The opening cue is fantastic (albeit a Goldenthal rip off,) Howard's new Harvey Dent theme is something I was hoping to hear in the first score and the adaptation and variations on the already existing material is much approved on in The Dark Knight. I find it a much more cohesive listen and far more interesting musically. However, there are still a bunch of cues that are still as bland and uninteresting as the stuff in the first score and the final 16 minute cue is simply one of the most overrated cues of Zimmer's career.

-Erik-

Goldenthal rip-off? How come? That piece screams ZImmer all over it, from all aspects. BlackHawk down in specific AND Batman Begins.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    NP - Kevin Kiner - The Clone Wars.

I swear, this sounds like a John Debney/Joel McNeely jobber, with competent orchestral fireworks that are destined to be buried under the sound mix. Functional stuff, but nothing exceptional for sure.

Actually, give me McNeely and derivate Debney over this ANY DAY.

-Erik-