• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    John Williams has establish a sound for the Star Wars universe which has been the blueprint for other films, TV shows, video games and other forms of multimedia. And it's not like we are talking NEW characters here... these are the same characters from the prequel films following a storyline that bridges Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. This rock approach is totally inappropriate!

A certain adherence would be nice, of course, but I'm not very reactionary on this point. Many franchises have very different musical approaches to each installement without it losing any kind of integrity. And while this is definitely part of the franchise, it's really another thing altogether.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    John Williams has establish a sound for the Star Wars universe which has been the blueprint for other films, TV shows, video games and other forms of multimedia. And it's not like we are talking NEW characters here... these are the same characters from the prequel films following a storyline that bridges Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. This rock approach is totally inappropriate!

A certain adherence would be nice, of course, but I'm not very reactionary on this point. Many franchises have very different musical approaches to each installement without it losing any kind of integrity. And while this is definitely part of the franchise, it's really another thing altogether.

I refer you to Eric Serra's "Bond" score GOLDENEYE. A quite enjoyable album in it's own right but as a Bond score it fails miserably. Though I think there's more room for manoevre in Bond scoring it still only really works when adhering to John Barry's superlative legacy.

Like Barry IS Bond so too Williams IS Star Wars.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2008 edited
    This just in: the first official info on the Star Wars: The Clone Wars soundtrack/score by Kevin Kiner has been posted at StarWars.com!
  1. Erik Woods wrote

But you had nothing against the totally overcomposed opera that was Shadows of the Empire, which took the whole thing into the other extreme direction? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

But you had nothing against the totally overcomposed opera that was Shadows of the Empire, which took the whole thing into the other extreme direction? wink

Joel McNeely wrote a huge, thematic, purely SYMPHONIC score (without rock music) in the same style already establish by John Williams. There was nothing wrong with that approach.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

A different direction, but a branch from the same tree nonetheless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008 edited
    Erik, how's that Church of John Williams coming along? I can think of a couple of more members that come from right here, maintitles, and who would die to join!

Of course if you can't have it ready in time, i am also positive the Church of the Fonz will absorb them away from you!
    biggrin biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik, how's that Church of John Williams coming along? I can think of a couple of more members that come from right here, maintitles, and who would die to join!

I've joined mate, I've seen the light! Praise the Lord! punk

It's a completely honest, forgiving and caring Brotherhood - we do ask for your credit card details before joining though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What about Mastercard? Do you accept that? You see, i am a Shyamalan freak.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Of course if you can't have it ready in time, i am also positive the Church of the Fonz will absorb them away from you!
    biggrin biggrin

Trying to give me ideas D ? cheesy beer

One snap of the fingers and all fall at the feet of the Fonz Aiiiieeeeeyyyy thumbs
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Erik Woods wrote
    Joel McNeely wrote a huge, thematic, purely SYMPHONIC score (without rock music)

I didn´t question that.

in the same style already establish by John Williams.

Nope. Beside the obvious note by note lifts in some tracks and the one extremely nice Force Theme variation nothing that McNeely composed reflected the style Williams established, at least not for the classic trilogy (which was all we had when SotE came out). It was far more complex and opera-like, even the action tracks, which were extremely cacophonic, like a modern symphony, and certainly didn´t sound like Star Wars to me at that time. I have to agree, though, that some of Williams action music, especially in Episodes 2 and 3, even topped that, so actually McNeely wrote a blurred vision of a future that was yet to come by the time he wrote it. That doesn´t make me like his approach or Williams´ new way of writing action one bit more.

There was nothing wrong with that approach.

Only because you dig this style. That doesn´t make it more Classic Star Wars than any other approach, and that´s what he was writing for.

I know that I am close to alone on this one, but I don´t care. I know what I felt when I bought SotE. I wanted a Star wars score. I didn´t get one.

And just in case: That doesn´t mean I like Kiner´s approach better.
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    kiner arrangement of main theme @ http://www.starwars.com/games/playnow/sharpshooter/
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Joel McNeely wrote a huge, thematic, purely SYMPHONIC score (without rock music)

I didn´t question that.

Good! wink

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Nope. Beside the obvious note by note lifts in some tracks and the one extremely nice Force Theme variation nothing that McNeely composed reflected the style Williams established, at least not for the classic trilogy (which was all we had when SotE came out). It was far more complex and opera-like, even the action tracks, which were extremely cacophonic, like a modern symphony, and certainly didn´t sound like Star Wars to me at that time.

Williams scores are also VERY operatic. And even though McNeely brought in his own style of symphonic writing at least it was still purely symphony, thematic, and used the already establish themes properly. BTW, don't forget McNeely's wonderful use of the Imperial March and the very Star Warsesque Beggar Canyon Chase featuring the AWESOME Dash Render Theme.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I have to agree, though, that some of Williams action music, especially in Episodes 2 and 3, even topped that, so actually McNeely wrote a blurred vision of a future that was yet to come by the time he wrote it. That doesn´t make me like his approach or Williams´ new way of writing action one bit more.

Interesting observation.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Only because you dig this style. That doesn´t make it more Classic Star Wars than any other approach, and that´s what he was writing for.

Again, McNeely composed a score using Williams music and themes ina purely symphonic form. Williams original trilogy scores also go through many changes in styles pure stick to the symphonic sound that now has become the staple sound for the trilogy and the rest of the series.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJuPe
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2008
    Sony Classical will release The Clone Wars soundtrack on the 12th of August:

http://starwars.com/vault/collecting/news20080709.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2008 edited
    JuPe wrote

All right! biggrin

From the site - "Composer Kevin Kiner has created a unique musical experience for Clone Wars which builds upon the classic themes created by John Williams."

Sounds good to me so far... interested what this "rock sound" is like.... punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2008 edited
    JuPe wrote

Already posted that, but thanks anyways. wink
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Some of the music from the official site reminded me of John Debney's The Scorpion King.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Panthera wrote
    Some of the music from the official site reminded me of John Debney's The Scorpion King.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? confused wink
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2008
    I like the music for the Scorpion King, but for Star Wars it definitely isn't the approach I would have taken. Still, I'm very interested in hearing how this turns out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Panthera wrote
    Still, I'm very interested in hearing how this turns out.

As am I.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I guess, I will abstain from clips till I get the actual CD! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote

Nah, it's great being moderately spoiled. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    TheTelmarine wrote
    DemonStar wrote

LOL, that's for sure! lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    DemonStar wrote

LOL, that's for sure! lol

Yep! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I haven't heard any of The Dark Knight clips yet. And I've only heard small bits and pieces of the Star Wars music. I generally stay away from clips.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Panthera wrote
    I haven't heard any of The Dark Knight clips yet. And I've only heard small bits and pieces of the Star Wars music. I generally stay away from clips.

Well, I absolutely love preview clips! I know some people don't like being spoiled, but hey, if there's something out there to hear or see early, I'm in! biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008 edited
    Over at ScoreNotes there is a new audio interview with Kevin Kiner on the subject of Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2008
    Apparently, Mr. Kiner has been traveling to Prague a lot lately to conduct and record the score to the Star Wars: The Clone Wars film and TV series. Does anyone here know of any good professional orchestras located in Prague? The only orchestra I know from there is the City of Prague Philharmonic, and I seriously hope he's not using them... sad crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Apparently, Mr. Kiner has been traveling to Prague a lot lately to conduct and record the score to the Star Wars: The Clone Wars film and TV series. Does anyone here know of any good professional orchestras located in Prague? The only orchestra I know from there is the City of Prague Philharmonic, and I seriously hope he's not using them... sad crazy

Sorry to disappoint but it's the City of Prague Philharmonic. But like I said in another post somewhere on this board, the Prague Philharmonic's performances on actual soundtracks (ie - the Iron Giant) outshines their dreadful re-recordings (excluding the Tadlow recordings).

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Sorry to disappoint but it's the City of Prague Philharmonic. But like I said in another post somewhere on this board, the Prague Philharmonic's performances on actual soundtracks (ie - the Iron Giant) outshines their dreadful re-recordings (excluding the Tadlow recordings).

-Erik-

Ah, OK. Then maybe I won't be disappointed! smile Thanks for the info, Erik. beer