• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008 edited
    My religion doesn't dictate stuff like that to me, "kill witches" and "don't eat pork", especially the modern academic theological views on christianity and how I - a thinking, well-educated human being, choose to follow it. As for the "moral values" behind such organizations, i'd strongly urge you to see the southpark episode where they deal with Scientology.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeap, that's what all this aims for. More members, money and popularity. Dawkin's wallet is still not full enough.

Sigh... yeah, humanists really get off on money and popularity. rolleyes

Just remember that no one should take human rights for granted. Wait till we lose it again and we will all suddenly know again what people in the past have been fighting for.

And yes, for some things you just need money. It's not fair that children in primary schools can get catholic education because the churches pay for it but no humanist education because there is no money. Let's not get started about money, because churches are much richer than humanist organisations!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    My religion doesn't dictate stuff like that to me, "kill witches" and "don't eat pork"

It certainly does, D.
    You choose not to follow such rules, as they (quite rightly) contravene your common sense, values and informed reasoning.
    But the rules are still there, and a majority of people LIKE such clear-cut rules. Thinking for yourself ISN'T all that easy, and guidelines work wonders. Sadly, these will more often than not be abused by those out for power for themselves.

As for the "moral values" behind such organizations, i'd strongly urge you to see the southpark episode where they deal with Scientology.

...are you calling Scientology Humanist? shocked
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    And yes, for some things you just need money. It's not fair that children in primary schools can get catholic education because the churches pay for it but no humanist education because there is no money. Let's not get started about money, because churches are much richer than humanist organisations!

What's fairness got to do with it?
    Churches have money, humanist organizations don't. But -however we could debate the dubious methods churches have been gathering and hoarding their money in the past (and sometimes even in the present)- it's not the churches' fault that Humanism can't sustain an economic balance.

As the church had to struggle during its own inception, so humanism will have to find a way to sustain itself. I have no solution either, though. Due to its very basics, as you stated, Humanism is pretty unorganized still.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, but in our days i am not convinced behind anyone's MORAL HIGH GROUNDS, especially be it people with power and money, priests, the church, politicians, Dawkins any of those.

As for my point of view, think about this. When i see a slogan on a bus that urges me to "stop thinking about god and enjoy my life" it really gets on my nerves; why? 'cause it underestimates me. My I.Q, my self-esteem. The majority of the like-minded Europeans who are Christians and around my age-span, are clearly open-minded people who think for themselves and are far cut-off from the dark closemindness of grandparents, parents and ancestors. I, like the rest of the healthy society i observe around me, certainly don't need any Mr.Dawkins or anyone else to dictate me how to enjoy my life, my sexuality, my brain and logic, my body, my thinking, the virtues of life. 'Cause they can be sure we are doing it to the fullest, from enjoying our body and sexuality to the pleasure of being a thinking individual who openly acts in the social functions of the surrounding community and we need nobody to tells us how to do it, especially if that dictates any sort of departure from our religion.

If some humanists - or whatever, still think we are in the middle ages - at least in Europe where the majority of the young population is now very well educated ('cause i strongly sense that a large part of the Americans still are somewhat "elsewhere", i mean look at the "McCain lady" who i strongly hope is the minority but i am not too sure about it), then it's them who have a problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote

It's unfair to see humanist organisations being accused of filling their pockets.
    I guess that was what felt unfair to me.
    Plus it's frustrating that the organisation with the most money can get the most members and therefore will get the most money again. It's just like business.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How do you know they aren't? Or at least they aren't starting to? Seriously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Filling their pockets? Because I rely on the yearly financial report D!

If I couldn't rely on that I might as well become paranoid and not trust anything ever again.
    dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, there are times i really wish i could share the same innocent and partly romantic view on everone , as yours, my dearest Bregje smile kiss wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote

If some humanists - or whatever, still think we are in the middle ages - at least in Europe where the majority of the young population is now very well educated ('cause i strongly sense that a large part of the Americans still are somewhat "elsewhere", i mean look at the "McCain lady" who i strongly hope is the minority but i am not too sure about it), then it's them who have a problem.

You realize there's a major part of young, well educated people in Europe who are happily skipping meals during the day, filling themselves up at evening, because religion demands it of them?
    You realize there's a major part of young, well educated people in Europe who will not have sex before marriage because God forbids it?
    I coudl of course cite many more examples, but the sad truth is that liberty -in every way, shape or form- is an excruciatingly heavy burden to bear...that's why you see young, well-educated people in Europe making plans to blow up buses, trains and airplanes in the name of God.

Christodoulides wrote
    Well, there are times i really wish i could share the same innocent and partly romantic view on everone , as yours, my dearest Bregje smile kiss wink

Nothing innocent, nor Romantic about it, D.
    Bregje is calling the beast by its name. Humanism ISN'T organized in ANY way comparable to the major (and many minor offshoot) religions. I'm sure there's people out there -as they are everywhere- trying to make a buck out of things, and I'm sure Dawkins isn't doing too bad on that front, but let's face it: Humanism is simply too unstable to make any sort of money out of it now.
    It's simply not a profitable proposition!

Bregje wrote
    Martijn wrote

It's unfair to see humanist organisations being accused of filling their pockets.

Ah, OK. I misunderstood your premise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Christodoulides wrote
    When i see a slogan on a bus that urges me to "stop thinking about god and enjoy my life" it really gets on my nerves; why? 'cause it underestimates me. My I.Q, my self-esteem.

Yes, I also think it's stupid what this Dawkins says. For me religion has nothing to do with intelligence.

But there are different kind of religious people. There are people who do not think of right and wrong and live their whole life for God and do whatever God wants them to do. That's heteronomous. That's not thinking. And they can have a high IQ. It's about not taking responsibilty for your own life and actions.

And there are people who believe there is a God but who also believe they are free to make decisions in their life, make up their own mind, do what they think is right. That autonomous. And that's what's important for humanists.

From the way you describe yourself and people your age I would say you are a religious humanist, if you would want to put any label to it. The humanist part is focussing on your life here and now, not on the afterlife, taking responsibilty for your own actions and make decisions yourself, think independently about right and wrong while learning from others, enjoy life with other people, etcetc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    religion has nothing to do with intelligence.

That could be Steven's new signature. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote
    Martijn wrote

Ah, OK. I misunderstood your premise.

No you didn't. I actually said it was unfair that the church has money and the DHA has not.
    But your reply made me think of why I had that feeling of unfairness and the accusation was what it was.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote
    religion has nothing to do with intelligence.

That could be Steven's new signature. biggrin

Hehe! applause
    Funny to read it that way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Christodoulides wrote

I certainly do not trust everyone!
    But I don't see one reason why I could not trust this organisation.
    Perhaps it's also because from the humanists I know (and those are the 'organized' ones!) 95% doesn't care about money at all. In fact last year there was a training for humanist education teachers about how to sell lessons and projects to schools for a decent price. They couldn't even ask for money they deserve. Because they are all stupid idealists hehehe.
    wink

Of course I don't know what's going on within the organisation, but there are so many things we don't know and still we have faith, don't we? And that decision to trust makes me a happier person.
    cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I think this campaign is mostly tongue-in-cheek, and secondarily making people think about how we're sorrounded by religious claims, ads, propaganda that we've stopped being consciously aware of (but probably still subconsciously affected by). It's funny how this little squeek from atheists can provoke such strong reactions. The last religious bus ad was directing people to an URL telling non-believers that they would burn in hell, and as a response here's a rather innocent and positive message and christians suddenly feel like they are the ones being attacked.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't feel i am being attacked as a christian, i think i made my self clear enough. I am offended as a thinking individual. Look above for more info.

As for the "GOD TELLS YOU WHAT TO DO" have you ever thought that, no, he-it-whatever, doesn't tell you what to do; people who claim that they are his do; it's up to you to think, filter and judge.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think it's funny how badly you've reacted to it D! applause biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote
    I think this campaign is mostly tongue-in-cheek...

I think you've hit upon a vital aspect that's lacking from religion; irony. The funniest people are hellbound atheists! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hey, come on!
    He could have raised a Greek-Orthodox anathema over you, burned all marmite in Thessaloniki, organized a protest march against the hated satan Bruce Forsyth and have an official government proclamation issued to ban all mint sauce.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I bet he's planning it as we speak. I don't trust them foreign lot...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    They have Marmite in Thessaloniki?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not any more they don't..
    All burnt.

(Not that one would notice, taste-wise)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Aw, no one took the bate yet... sad
  1. I love Richard Dawkins. My kind of thinker.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Try spelling it right! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I love him too. A great man! Although I feel reluctant to admit that so fervently since those who do are almost always accused of giving him a god-like status... which is all so very ironic. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jon Broxton wrote
    I love Richard Dawkins. My kind of thinker.

^
    Steven's best new friend wink

And yeah, I like Dawkins too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

You're being very pedantic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

You're being very pedantic.

And you would certainly recognise one! moon

I'm sure tis only time before you catch me out again wink