• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008 edited
    I've refrained a many time because I'm such a nice guy. I know, can you believe it??
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008
    Steven wrote
    I've refrained a many time because I'm such a nice guy. I know, can you believe it??

I'll refrain from quoting Victor Meldrew wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Who?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Who?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You don't know who he is!? I DON'T believe it.

Sorry Tim.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No sorry biggrin

I even edited my post to leave yours as stand alone. wink
  2. Somebody posted something about the Flying Spaghetti Monster in another thread, and I was reading about it online. What are our religious friends' takes on this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spagetti_Monster
  3. I loved Pastafarianism biggrin

I agree that a lot can be mocked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2009
    I'll post this video in both the religion topic and funny videos topic, because it is funny but also very serious and moving. It can be interpreted as an attack on religion but I prefer to see it as a plea to think for yourself and live your own life and learn from others. Also it's a nice view on puberty, the phase when people often start to doubt the way they were brought up is normal and the other ways weird or wrong. There simply is no wrong and right, just differences and those differences should be cherished.

Just take 8 minutes to sit down and watch it. And enjoy. It's brilliant. smile

Instruction Manual for Life
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's quite good, and certainly not an attack on religion or anything else. But I think there's much that it glosses over by trying to make its point.

If the message is 'there simply is no wrong and right, just differences and those differences should be cherished', then what of the extreme fundamentalists' points of views? Are those neither right or wrong? Should they be cherished? Should we pander and accept ALL points of views? It's such a tricky complex issue, unfortunately far beyond the scope of an 8 minute analogical animation. But I do appreciate its message, which IMO is a good one at least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, maybe you're reading a bit much into it, Steven.

The overall message to me seems to be that it's OK to question established values, and build from there.

That doesn't negate the fact that differences not always need to be celebrated, but may be subject to as harsh questioning as established values are. That, however, simply doesn't seem to be the point here.

But your critical and analytical note is a valuable one, and one to keep in mind.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're probably right. But it's clearly aimed at religious differences as well as other social differences. As soon as you introduce religion, it always gets messy. There's never going to be one quick-fix solution to religious problems, and I guess that's what I'm trying to point out. Then again, as you say, that's not really its point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Steven wrote
    If the message is 'there simply is no wrong and right, just differences and those differences should be cherished', then what of the extreme fundamentalists' points of views? Are those neither right or wrong? Should they be cherished? Should we pander and accept ALL points of views?

Interesting how you only wonder if we should accept fundamentalists' point of view, but you don't turn it around. You do not wonder if fundamentalists should accept other points of view? Learning from eachother goes both ways.

By the way, those were just a few things I get from this animation. There are many messages you can take from it.

One thing that is very important to me is autonomy vs heteronomy. That's why for me it isn't an attack against religion per se because there are many religious people (monotheists, polytheists, pantheists) who believe in god but still write their own instruction manual for life, so to speak. They think for themselves, take responsibility for their own lives and don't rely on powers and instructions from above. The message of autonomy is an important one to me, like cherishing differences and letting go the idea of normal and weird (perhaps those are better words than right or wrong).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2009 edited
    Bregje wrote
    Interesting how you only wonder if we should accept fundamentalists' point of view, but you don't turn it around. You do not wonder if fundamentalists should accept other points of view? Learning from eachother goes both ways.

This is where the metaphor starts to go out of sync: the whole thing about fundamentalists is that they cannot and will not accept other points of view. That's the thing about fundamentalism.

From our own, far more grey-tone oriented point of view, the idea of change can be entertained. There may be a lot of discussion. Battles even, maybe. But at least there is always the option (if only theoretical).

But in fundamentalism, the whole idea of change is anathema.
    That's why Steven doesn't need to turn the thing around: fundamentalists will never accept another point of view.

And here is the underlying issue: how to approach fundamentalism with a "cherish the differences" attitude?
    The truth is: you cannot.
    As the very concept is alien, any such message will fail, and even worse, may be abused to further a fundamentalist agenda.

An analogy may illustrate my meaning: in the excellent Powell & Pressburger film The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp, the colonel at the end of his years, during the initial years of the second world war, sees a speech he has written for the BBC scrapped.

He cannot understand why.

All he wrote is that Hitler's thuggish, completely dishonourable and pernicious actions were a disgrace to modern warfare and diplomacy, and that if the free world couldn't survive without their honour and humanity intact, than it should rather accept defeat.

His German friend, escaped from Nazi persecution, is shocked at his words.
    "If you let yourself be defeated by them, just because you are too fair to hit back the same way they hit at you, there won't be any methods but Nazi methods.
    If you preach the rules at the game, while they throw every underhanded trick, they laugh at you.
    They think you're weak. Decadent.
    ...This is not a gentleman's war. This time you are fighting for your very existence against the most devililsh idea ever created by human brain."

This is why I think Steven's point is worth making: the message in the YouTube film is a lovely and beautiful one... but it can only come to very little if not all parties abide by the same rules.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    But in fundamentalism, the whole idea of change is anathema.
    That's why Steven doesn't need to turn the thing around: fundamentalists will never accept another point of view.

I know what fundamentalism is. And I didn't ask if they would, I asked if they should.

the message in the YouTube film is a lovely and beautiful one... but it means nothing if not all parties abide by the same rules.

I think it means a lot! I'm glad I have a more hopeful view then and that I am able to get some meaning from it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote

I know what fundamentalism is. And I didn't ask if they would, I asked if they should.

I wasn't explaining fundamentalism. I was expounding on a fundamentalist point of view vis-a-vis change, which I thought was exactly what we were discussing.

I think we can safely say everyone agrees that they should ... but what does that mean? That could just as easily be construed as imposing our own values over others' again...which then comes back to the whole point of the video, doesn't it?

the message in the YouTube film is a lovely and beautiful one... but it means nothing if not all parties abide by the same rules.

I think it means a lot! I'm glad I have a more hopeful view then and that I am able to get some meaning from it.

I'm not entirely sure how to read that?
    (It sounds as if we didn't? -which I would dispute given the very discussion going on now- Or am I reading way too much into it? It's always hard to infer tone from a forum without any other clues than the words proper. sad )

Anyway, the fact that there may be additional questions (and discussion) to the "cupboard" the film provides us with I would think is a celebration of the film's very theme. Not a distraction!

It's a lovely video that opens the way up for interesting contemplation and debate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote

I'm not entirely sure how to read that?
    (It sounds as if we didn't? -which I would dispute given the very discussion going on now- Or am I reading way too much into it? It's always hard to infer tone from a forum without any other clues than the words proper. sad )

No, no tone here. smile I just really like the video and it means a lot to me.
    And I like the music by the way!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2009
    Zz
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    It's a lovely video that opens the way up for interesting contemplation and debate.

Christodoulides wrote
    Zz

..or not, as the case may be.
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Zz

Ah, the joy of discussing with grown-ups! cheesy

rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Bregje wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Zz

If this could only be true of all grown-ups in life sad There are times in life where I know it is best to do what my father told me growing up which is "keep your mouth shut and your thoughts to yourself."
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    AND carry a big stick!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregje wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Zz

rolleyes

Well, if we were discussing WOMEN then i would wistfully join kiss kiss
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I do enjoy this board because we can discuss
    listen to more classical music!
  4. I've been out of this thread for a while. I see there are 60 unread posts, which is better than the 1000+ unread messages waiting for me in the Hans Zimmer thread. I do plan to read them all.

Anyway, I was reading Nassim Taleb's FOOLED BY RANDOMNESS again this week. It's the sort of book that you need to read regularly if you're working in a financial market context, because you need to remind yourself of how much of your success you can't take credit for, and how much of your failure you shouldn't attribute to luck. The end of the book makes a case for stoicism (centred on behaviour) as being to the only answer to true uncertainty in life, and it's quite a compelling exhortation. The book above all cautions against the traps of empiricism. Sciences that are dependent on non-replicable experimental data, but empirical observation, are labeled 'soft'.

The book is full of ideas I appreciate. The idea that emotion plays a role in guiding us to local equilibria for decision-making seems to make a great deal of sense. Hence the rare value of decision-making unaided by emotion of some sort. (Note that emotion does not equate to hysterical thought processes here.)

Taleb is as skeptical as they come. Popperian is the word. Anyway, the close of chapter 13 'Carneades comes to Rome: On Probability and Skepticism' is subtitled 'From Funeral to Funeral'. Taleb begins with discussing Carneades' visit to Rome, and holds high regard for those who change their mind frequently, showing little path dependence in thinking. George Soros (who knows how little he knows), Robert Merton and Long Term Capital Management (fooled by randomness), the fictional Monsieur de Norpois (of Proust) and Cicero all make appearances. The coda to the chapter reads as follows:

I conclude with the following saddening remark about scientists in the soft sciences*. People confuse science and scientists. Science is great, but individual scientists are dangerous. They are human; they are marred by the biases humans have. Perhaps even more. For most scientists are hard-headed, otherwise they would not derive the patience and energy to perform the Herculean tasks asked of them, like spending 18 hours a day perfecting their doctoral thesis.

A scientist may be forced to act like a cheap defense lawyer rather than a pure seeker of the truth. A doctoral thesis is 'defended' by the applicant; it would be a rare situation to see the student change his mind upon being supplied with a convincing argument. But science is better than scientists. It was said that science evolves from funeral to funeral. (Ed - goes on with a few more sentences about an example from the chapter.)

I notice that a theme that often emerges in conversation with those who find religion little more than folly is the hypocrisy issue. The issue being that many individuals with beliefs have acted in a way that is inconsistent with their beliefs. It often resolves with the believer - who probably doesn't see themselves as a hypocrite, and probably isn't being seen as one by the interlocuter - asserting that the ideal (the belief) exceeds the individual's part in it (the believer). That even if all believers were in some way not up to the ideal - because they were, after all, only human - the ideal would remain worthy. What I find interesting is that Taleb is using a very similar justification here in defense of the failings of those who are, ideally, completely rational in their judgements, but whose human nature often fails them.

I guess the other observation that comes to mind is that it is rarely easy to reverse a previous train of thought. And not always for the purposes of saving face (whic his point about incentive compatibility would suggest). Some decisions can't be re-decided down the track, so you might have believe you did the right thing. Is it human nature to cling to a system of thinking, and is that tendency not independent of the system of thinking and embedded in the human agent to a large extent?

Anyway, just thought I'd share that.

* On the issue of 'soft sciences'. Taleb is particularly sceptical about economists and applied statisticans, partly because he knows both breeds so well, but intellectually his reason is that induction is the Popperian one - that induction is useful for falsification, and not much else. He is less suspicious of hard science, provided replicable experimental data and a true and demonstrated desire to be proven wrong are at its basis. But as I'm sure he'd admit, he's no philosopher, so don't feel I'm saying to take him seriously - I'm just trying to give context.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Robert Merton? The sociologist?
  6. The Nobel prize-winning finance theorist. (I think he shared the award with Byron Scholes.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2009 edited
    I urge anyone who's religious or interested in religion to read this fascinating New Scientist article on God in the brain (which neither sets to prove or disprove any gods' existence):

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 … ?full=true

I think the end part sums it up for me quite well: "Religious belief is the "path of least resistance", says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort." That's not to say that religion is some 'cop-out' to the truth, before some get the wrong impression. But it does deserve a little thought I think.

Which brings me on to another part of the article:

"When one of his students carried out interviews with atheists, it became clear that they often tacitly attribute purpose to significant or traumatic moments in their lives, as if some agency were intervening to make it happen. "They don't completely exorcise the ghost of god - they just muzzle it," Bering says."

I did this once. But in all honesty, I myself have done away with placing 'outer significance' on ANY part of my life (only personal significance). Sure, it's very hard to accept this at times, but I'm far more concerned with 'truth', 'reality', whatever you may call it, than wishful thinking. Even if I may envy the comfort many take from religion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2009
    Interestingly, this is much the same mechanism that creates a universal feeling of paranioa, as experienced and put forward most by "Truthers" and Complot Theorists: the need to add a structure, a mechanism and an intention to random dynamics or wild coincidence is a need within the human brain to bring order and structure to chaos.

It's one of our most wonderful traits that make us commit some of our greatest mistakes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2009
    Much the same that when I've talked to people who have watched The Number 23 (the Jim Carrey film), they were amazed that they themselves could find 23 pretty much everywhere they went. Most knew it was the way our brains worked, but every so often someone was in some sort of genuine awe. Sometimes it must be hard to accept that it's humans who create significance in random events, and understandably so in many situations. (Death, disease, natural disasters, etc.)