• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I still think it's still the same from a different perspective. You are talking about illogicalities, but I think, as I put many times in this thread and other religious discussion, there is no logical fallacy for a person who agrees with what is assumed.

Pascal lived in the 17th Century, when hardly any intellectual was rejecting the existence of God. God's existence was as obvious as the fact that 2 + 3 = 5 (a favourite Cartesian example, this and the fact that the sum of the angles in a triangle is equal to two right angles; he repeats those almost obsessively). One of the 18th Century biggest French rationalists Voltaire reputedly seriously believed in the existence of witches, though didn't believe in God's prevalent presence in everyday life (he didn't reject God's existence at all - "the clock needs its maker"). There are things we regard as obvious and any logical fallacy is about the assumption we take. God is obvious as basic math. Or not. This, really, is what we are discussing here.

An example of heavily logical interpretation of reality with assuming God's existence is the culture of Middle Ages. Everything was connected (and again, with logics put almost to a fault there!) to the fact that God created the world in a very specific way. God was the perfect Artist who created a perfect world (knowing that somewhere until the Romanticism, art was regarded as the highest craft possible - that's the original meaning of the Latin ars and Greek tekhne anyway, this may be present even in Voltaire's defense of God's existence!), spoilt by humans after Eve's sin. Earth wasn't only the CENTER of the universe, but the lowest POINT of it - above the Moon (a symbol of human passing, lots of meanings here). Sun was in the middle of the world, that is what made it so special. Above Earth, the four Elements and the Moon, the world still had God's perfect harmony and project. On Earth, humans destroyed that by becoming self-aware.

Here a point, not sure if discussed by medieval theologians AND philosophers. When God created the world, everything was His creation, including the Serpent which led to humanity's demise. Also the tree. Human being, created by God as the perfect being, representing him in the Garden of Eden. Assuming that, we have to also assume that God knew his prohibition will be broken. Becoming aware of good and evil (thus, deciding on their own fate!), being given mortality and pain, constitued human existence in the world. It doesn't mean that we are defined as being mortal and full of pain in life (that was the part of the bargain), but that gave us the responsibility - also if not prevalently moral responsibility - for our lives. Here I am in complete agreement with atheists. A human being is completely responsible for his own deeds. Even if I believe in God, I don't believe he will live my life for me. As much as I accepted Pascal's wager, I also can't reject the atheist wager and I seriously believe they can be accepted at the same time!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2009 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I still think it's still the same from a different perspective. You are talking about illogicalities, but I think, as I put many times in this thread and other religious discussion, there is no logical fallacy for a person who agrees with what is assumed.

Which is pretty much what I said. There is of course no logical fallacy if you already believe in a judgmental God whom rewards faith. The wager is based on assumptions you've already come to yourself: a) there is either a benevolent God or not, and b) were he to exist, he will reward your belief in him. If you already believe in God, particularly a benevolent or judgmental one, then the wager clearly makes sense. But only in the same way that a wager in me winning the lottery makes sense if I already believed I was going to win.

Let's say I believed that I will win the lottery, say, next week. I then come across a wager that says if I don't believe I will win the lottery, then it won't happen. If I do believe I will win the lottery, I will win (i.e. my faith will be rewarded). If I already believe I will win the lottery with utmost certainty, then the wager makes sense: I should continue to believe I will win the lottery to make sure I will be rich by the end of next week. But if I came across this wager with no prior beliefs of winning the lottery (meaning absolute certainty rather than just a hunch), I certainly wouldn't dwell on it much!

So I certainly don't think the Atheist's wager and Pascal's wager can be accepted as the same thing since the latter is presumptuous and the former is not. (Well, perhaps that's not entirely accurate since the atheist's wager assumes that God, were he to exist, will reward good deeds. But at least the atheist wager has a far more altruistic look on life! wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2009 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I still think it's still the same from a different perspective. You are talking about illogicalities, but I think, as I put many times in this thread and other religious discussion, there is no logical fallacy for a person who agrees with what is assumed.

The logical fallacy is called begging the question, if you have to assume the conclusion is true to accept one of the premises.

Pascal's wager is clearly intended for outsiders, the guy was too smart to propose something so blatantly circular. When it was first proposed it was actually rather thought-provoking, considering the apparent omnipresence of christianity the dichotomy must have seemed valid at the time. We live in a globalized world today, well aware of the countless beliefs on offer, and I can only attribute it to arrogance or ignorance if anyone in this day and age considers the dichotomy true.

Peter smile
  2. Pascal was very religious too, he came from the Port Royal area.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2010 edited
    If the third picture doesn't start ring some alarm bells for 'believers', I'm not entirely sure what will:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/8462908.stm

sad

Edit: the third picture was originally a picture of the rubble and destruction of the cathedral where it trapped worshipers underneath, but the page has been updated I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Conservative Christian Pat Robertson has failed to keep his mouth shut - yet again - concerning the tragedy.

Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it. They were under the heel of the French ... and they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you'll get us free from the French.' True story. And the devil said, 'OK, it's a deal.' Ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after another.

Well Pat, it's refreshing to see such spite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2010
    What the fuck is thaT? How stupid can one be?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Conservative Christian Pat Robertson has failed to keep his mouth shut - yet again - concerning the tragedy.

Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it. They were under the heel of the French ... and they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, 'We will serve you if you'll get us free from the French.' True story. And the devil said, 'OK, it's a deal.' Ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after another.

Well Pat, it's refreshing to see such spite.

Blokes a knob on a stick.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    LSH wrote

Asshole.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Gotta feel sorry for those who must be battling with their faith at the moment, particularly for those in Haiti at a time like this.
  3. Steven wrote

sad

Edit: the third picture was originally a picture of the rubble and destruction of the cathedral where it trapped worshipers underneath, but the page has been updated I think.

Hmmm.... hard to know what to say about that. These things do fall down.

As for Pat Robinson, tut-tut Pat. Why don't you speculate on the death of Brittany Murphy or the spiritual inheritance of Brangelina's children like a good pulpit gossip hound? I know Haitians can't sue you, but most celebrities won't either.

And frankly, I'd be sorry for anyone in Haiti around now. People with faith or not.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote

sad

Hmmm.... hard to know what to say about that. These things do fall down.

biggrin I guess Steven wanted to say something ironic like how can the house of God fall down and why he doesn't protect it from coming down, or how people got buried under the debris whilst (irony here) worshiping God and stuff like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well, yeah D. A cathedral, full of worshipers, falls on them and kills them. Kinda makes you think 'What's the point in praying to a God who lets me die in a house built to worship him?'

It's made all the more tragic since their beliefs are betrayed by the harshness of reality. Those images really do sadden me.
  4. Steven wrote
    Well, yeah D. A cathedral, full of worshipers, falls on them and kills them. Kinda makes you think 'What's the point in praying to a God who lets me die in a house built to worship him?'

Given the promise of an afterlife to Christian believers, I wonder whether it's such a problem.
    If the God they believe in exists, and they are in the heaven they believe was promised to them, it stands a good chance of being an improvement over the circumstances. So maybe God was thinking about the long term.
    If he doesn't exist, the building isn't special at all, and they died for nothing, believing something that wasn't true. But the God that doesn't exist can't be blamed for the ironic occurrence. If they were in the next building, or standing outside in the path of a falling building, they would have died there too and noone would have derived an institutional criticism from it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ouch!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010
    Steven wrote

It's made all the more tragic since their beliefs are betrayed by the harshness of reality. Those images really do sadden me.

Buildings fall down out of earthquakes of the 7+ Richter magnitude scale, Steven. Whether they're cathedral full of Christians or not; it's a cold and unecessary comment in the face of such a saddening tragedy, really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010
    The point of believing is not that you will be saved from all kinds of troubles of life. It is rather that you keep your soul and mind alive in spite of tragedies. And that's not easy, I know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Buildings fall down out of earthquakes of the 7+ Richter magnitude scale, Steven. Whether they're cathedral full of Christians or not; it's a cold and unecessary comment in the face of such a saddening tragedy, really.

Yes, they do Demetris - and that's kind of the whole point. It being a cathedral is also very much the point: Do you really feel comfortable praying to a being who allows a place of worship to be destroyed and those that worship her to be killed in the process? If it's a case of 'freewill' and not interfering with the universe and its workings (including the feelings and emotions of animals), then why pray in the first place? If she can't meddle, then praying, particularly for the victims, will surely do very little good. On the other hand, if she can interfere with the universe ("miracles" I believe they're called), then why not act upon her powers and stop tragic events like this happening in the first place? If it's a case of testing our willingness to deal with tragedy so that it nurtures goodness and bravery and all those other wonderful things, surely all the terrible things we do to each other is ample enough chance to show our moralities and good will? Another argument I've seen is it's all about 'staying out of our affairs so that we have the choice to "seek her out" for ourselves.' In which case, I'm perfectly happy without her, and still begs the same questions as to whether she's worth praying to and worshiping in the first place.

Is all this proof that a God doesn't exist? Of course not. But at the very least it should make one a little suspicious as to whether an omnipotent caring God exists.

So no, I don't think it's an unnecessary comment, it's meant to incite a moment of thought for those who hold particular beliefs. A tragedy like this is admittedly first and foremost about relieving the pain... I can assure you, were I there, I wouldn't go around starting religious debates. But all I can do is donate money. There's not much room for discussion there. But there's a lot of room for discussion concerning the religious implications of such a tragic event.

franz_conrad wrote
    Given the promise of an afterlife to Christian believers, I wonder whether it's such a problem.
    If the God they believe in exists, and they are in the heaven they believe was promised to them, it stands a good chance of being an improvement over the circumstances. So maybe God was thinking about the long term.

Perhaps. But to me, that kind of philosophical argument is akin to drilling through a boulder to get to the other side when it would be easier to go around it: perhaps by admitting that, as I mentioned above, the chances of an omnipotent and loving God are pretty low in the face of the philosophical conundrums these events incur. (The conundrums faced by the faithful at a time like this are plenty I'm sure, and usually simply boils down to a matter of trust rather than logical arguments, in which case is not something that will ever be able to convince someone like me! As I you.)

If he doesn't exist, the building isn't special at all, and they died for nothing, believing something that wasn't true. But the God that doesn't exist can't be blamed for the ironic occurrence. If they were in the next building, or standing outside in the path of a falling building, they would have died there too and noone would have derived an institutional criticism from it.

Precisely. But the false dichotomy there is that either a god who rewards you in heaven literally exists; or she does not. Not quite sure what your point is, but for my part, the criticism is clearly aimed at those who believe the former. It amazes me some of the arguments people come up with to make these events conform with their beliefs!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think it's the choice of battleground here that may work against you in this argument, Steven: the tragedy is simply too recent and too horrific -we are bombarded by truly distressing images nigh hourly now- to be able to employ it in an essentially intellectual argument that is/seems distanced from emotion (however emotionally it is put!).

Whatever anyone says right now, whether pro or against religious aspects here, the very first visceral reaction will most likely be one of annoyance that what we perceive as a human tragedy is "hijacked" for an "agenda".

Whether that's true or not is completely immaterial.
    It's the suggestion, the resonance, that may work against you.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Steven wrote
    Not quite sure what your point is, but for my part, the criticism is clearly aimed at those who believe the former.

The point actually is sarcasm, Steven.
    It feels like you deserve sarcasm, because - and I'll be boring and just take the high road now - you'd dishonour the recently-dead with point scoring about whether their deaths were ironic in an intellectual sense.

Let us imagine a piece written on the excesses of a free market system, and how financial firms deserve to fail as a result of their greed, the morning after the World Trade Center was toppled. A man jumping out a window, or a still capture of the South Tower fall, could be accompanied with a byline: "The greatest bear market of all?" or maybe "High fliers make targets of us all?" That would be considered rather insensitive, and worthy of ridicule. And yet what you've done is not far off that at all. Sensitivity. I'm not in a huff about it or anything, but it does look pretty tasteless, and a lifetime of English cooking can only excuse so much. wink

* The more honest-to-God answer is no Christian is told that this life is easy, or that death will somehow not find their door. There are advantages in this life to a relationship with God, the bible says - too many to go into here. (And yes, to believe that those are advantages, you do have to believe in the first place... which I can understand, is unattractive.) Fortunately, there is also an answer to death. This is the belief system. I hope it's true, and not just because those people in the church will be having a somewhat better time of it now. If it isn't true, I can't imagine sleeping in on the morning in question in your five story apartment building had a much better pay off ratio on the morning in question than worshipping the God that wasn't there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And thusly my point is immediately proven.
    Which in many ways is a shame, as the "why does a merciful God allow suffering?" question is one that, while not overly original, is well worth debating.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Martijn wrote
    And thusly my point is immediately proven.
    Which in many ways is a shame, as the "why does a merciful God allow suffering?" question is one that, while not overly original, is well worth debating.

Oh, I do agree. It is worthy of debate, and I wonder about it all the time. I just find the evidence a bit unfortunately timed. It almost feels like speculative gloating.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2010 edited
    Which was my point exactly *).
    But thanks for belabouring it. smile

*): i.e. that it seems like agendizing, and thus dilutes any proper, worthwhile points.
  7. Martijn wrote
    Which was my point exactly *).
    But thanks for belabouring it. smile

No believer in a major faith could ever make a claim to being an entirely original thinker. wink
  8. Speaking of point scoring, the worst by far is that string of US preachers who have brought up the so-called 'deal with the devil' as the reason for the earthquake. I have so little regard for the US-based church, it's not funny, and its mostly because of their complete lack of compassion during occasions like this. New Orleans was the fault of New Orleans. Haiti was the fault of the Haitians. Brittany Murphy probably deserved to die too. That set the tone appallingly for discussions of faith in Haiti.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010
    Most fanatical us churches consist of complete retards, you shouldn't even bother.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2010
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2010 edited
    I Can has rise of the deads? :lolcat:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2010 edited
    Yep. Think of all those dead composers we can start rising from the dead! The Golden Age will be upon us again.. REJOICE!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2010
    This one had so many sexual innuendos my head almost exploded:

http://www.xpmedia.com/pzokCIvqMTe3

I'm sensing 'porn-star-turned-Biblebasher'? I'm surprised they didn't get her to show a bit of cleavage: "If I believe in God, I could get a WOMAN!" love