• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2013
    Thor wrote
    (disregarding the fact that many stories in our culture are themselves analogies of The Greatest Story Ever Told -- whether it's LORD OF THE RINGS, STAR WARS, THE MATRIX or new BATMAN films or whatever).

Which itself is borrowed from previous cultures and myths. wink Though I suppose the Christian version is the most pervasive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2013 edited
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    (disregarding the fact that many stories in our culture are themselves analogies of The Greatest Story Ever Told -- whether it's LORD OF THE RINGS, STAR WARS, THE MATRIX or new BATMAN films or whatever).

Which itself is borrowed from previous cultures and myths. wink Though I suppose the Christian version is the most pervasive.

Yes, there are many overlapping elements in the various religions and cultures and myths, but I would argue that Jesus' story, in particular, is quite unique as a whole.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Yes, there are many overlapping elements in the various religions and cultures and myths...

Does that not immediately strike you as a little odd? How does your brain bypass the blatantly made-up nature of it?
  1. Maybe there isn't really anything to bypass. People, you know, don't think of the origin of their religion on a regular basis even if they are professors. If they are Christian, Jewish, whatever, they stay the way they are until there is something (traumatic event, whatever really) that takes them out of their faith.

It works both ways, I have heard of staunch atheists who became dilligently religious after surviving near-death experience and other stories like that.

In other words, there is no psychological reason whatsoever to why would "the blatantly made-up nature" of religion prevent someone from being religious. The connection is purely emotional, not logical at all, which you seem to fail to notice.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    Yes, there are many overlapping elements in the various religions and cultures and myths...

Does that not immediately strike you as a little odd? How does your brain bypass the blatantly made-up nature of it?

Not really odd, no. Not if you think about the message more than the overlapping "story" details. As Pawel says, it's more of an emotional (or rather epistemological) notion than a rational one. I think all humans need a little bit of both to stay sane in this world -- whatever their emotional connections are.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Maybe there isn't really anything to bypass. People, you know, don't think of the origin of their religion on a regular basis even if they are professors. If they are Christian, Jewish, whatever, they stay the way they are until there is something (traumatic event, whatever really) that takes them out of their faith.

Yes, I suppose religion is deeply cultural. Similarly, we're brought up in a particular culture and simply adopt it without thinking too much about where it came from. In that sense, I can understand the apathy not to delve deeper into your particular religion's origins. But it still strikes me as highly odd not to question the actual beliefs. I think that's another area where I really struggle to understand the religiously minded.

In other words, there is no psychological reason whatsoever to why would "the blatantly made-up nature" of religion prevent someone from being religious. The connection is purely emotional, not logical at all, which you seem to fail to notice.

Oh I notice it. In fact I'm sure, like you are, that it is for most people a purely emotional thing. But even in my most emotional state I like to think I can still see reason, even if I might not be able to act on reason. I recognise it is my emotions that are telling me to think and act out in unreasonable ways. The difference, I suppose, is that emotional responses like love or hate are not reflections of what you perceive to be reality in any external sense, but rather truths and facts about yourself. Me loving someone doesn't change anything about how I view the nature of reality, only that my brain has constructed a set of memories and emotional responses to a particular stimuli.

Believing Jesus was (or is) the son of God explicitly changes the rules of reality. No matter how emotional the basis for the belief may be, emotion is not a good reason to believe in anything about the external world. This is a staple of the scientific method, and it's worked out pretty well so far!

What I struggle with is how one deals with the cognitive dissonance religious beliefs continually offer. I'd love to swap minds with a religious moderate for a day, or even a week, to get a real sense of what it feels like to believe crazy things but still live in the modern world! It's a failing on my part that I don't understand it. I desperately want to. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I like a point I seem to recall that Dawkins made in The God delusion. He explained that it's an evolved trait to listen to your parents uncritically as you develop, because parents are experienced survivors in this world, while a child knows nothing besides a few basic instincts; a child who lacks doubt towards his parents' teachings will as a rule be fitter than a child who doubts. He then points out that due to this trait and the fact that humans are extraordinarily imaginative, it's no wonder that false, parasitic beliefs will thrive, as they'll be forever (almost) passed on from generation to generation once they have arisen.

We live in a different world today though than the one we evolved in, where people have access to so much more information that people are increasingly able to break the cycle. But in our past, from our beginnings to just a few hundreds of years ago, beliefs were pretty much handed down uncritically from one generation to the next almost without fail.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    True, that's what I said earlier. Once you reach a certain age, you start to question a number of things that you just uncritically accepted in your childhood. It's part of building your own adult identity.

I question my own belief on a regular basis. In fact, I question a lot of things in my life -- not only religious convictions. I think that's quite healthy....to avoid stasis.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I have little nice things to say about Christianity or about organized religion fo that matter. I respect the sermon of the field as a powerful elementary code of conduct / ethics and I recognize the cultural impact of the Christian face on all forms of art.

But in my view
    - Christianity is a religion of fear
    - it aims to get control over people by infusing fear, thus making them un-free
    - it has a deeply pessimistic view of man, dening the ability of man to live an ethical live outside religion
    - Christianity was a power of backwardness, it paved a road of bood and terror

Forward the Enlightenment of Man!

Sorry!
    I deeply respect religious convictions. I am aware that Christians have an entirely different notion of their creed. Please, don't feel offended.

Read Kant's "What is Enlightenment" and "Religion within the Boudaries of mere Reason". There you'll find my creed.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm not offended. I'm just often surprised how strong and aggressive the rhetorics of many non-believers are.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I'm not offended. I'm just often surprised how strong and aggressive the rhetorics of many non-believers are.

Given the damage religion continues to do, I don't find it at all surprising. Though don't take this as a personal dig, at the same time I recognise its more mild mannered nature, you and many others on this forum being prime examples. In fact, given this is what your experience of religion comprises of, I understand your surprise to many a non-believers' strong and perhaps aggressive rhetorics. But understand as well that religion is not always so mild as your interpretation of it.
  3. plindboe wrote
    I like a point I seem to recall that Dawkins made in The God delusion. He explained that it's an evolved trait to listen to your parents uncritically as you develop, because parents are experienced survivors in this world, while a child knows nothing besides a few basic instincts; a child who lacks doubt towards his parents' teachings will as a rule be fitter than a child who doubts. He then points out that due to this trait and the fact that humans are extraordinarily imaginative, it's no wonder that false, parasitic beliefs will thrive, as they'll be forever (almost) passed on from generation to generation once they have arisen.

We live in a different world today though than the one we evolved in, where people have access to so much more information that people are increasingly able to break the cycle. But in our past, from our beginnings to just a few hundreds of years ago, beliefs were pretty much handed down uncritically from one generation to the next almost without fail.

Peter smile

First principles are incredibly important, and it shapes a lot about how we think. So much of who a person is is already there by the age of 8, and it happens so early that many people don't even realise beliefs of the mind are there. (I'm going further than religion here -- this is about views on everything -- acceptable behaviour, morality, roles in societys, etc.) Reprogramming is possible, and takes place both consciously and subconsciously over our lives. (For me, the institutions that shape our lives end up determining our minds much more than our parents -- which by-the-by for the 2 different sides of the 'home schooling' issue provide the argument for and against home schooling. Sorry, a digression.)

But back to the starting point -- this natural tendency to learn from parents -- I actually think there is a contrasting behavioural impulse in people as well. When a person does reach teenage years -- and often this comes quite a bit later -- they will frequently overweight the opinions of people outside their previous comfort zone relative to those previously within the comfort zone. So 'mum' and 'dad' cease to know so much, less so than one's best friends, teachers, lecturers, employers. (Teachers often fall within the old group too.) People experience this to differing degrees, but I think the function of the behaviour is to actually to guard us against being overly biased towards an initiating viewpoint. Social extremes are balanced with a norm of some sort, in a lot of cases. As a result, some completely invert the views they were taught as a child, consciously aspiring to be the opposite of those things, others merely introduce an element of sarcasm/skepticism. It's partly about removing that automatic sense of authority from your life, and becoming your own person who makes your own choices, but in process the views of others are given unusual authority.

In the long run, this settles though. I think in the end we end up becoming more moderate people. There's a regression of views to a mean somewhere in between. You start to see those in your old comfort zone as people who made choices for their own reasons, and you have less of a drive to fight it altogether, because it isn't about authority anymore. You are your own person now. Your parents were also people once. Your friends and teachers and that writer and this writer and that preacher and this musician -- all of them are people who came to viewpoints. Just as you are a person with your own conscious and subconscious views that don't exactly match up with anyone else's. (You may be a complete adopter of another's views in one area of thought, but it would be a rare person who imitates everything about another.)

Of course, it's always possible that the people whose opinion you overvalue, don't provide a contrast to those views you were brought up with. Think of that small village between mountains somewhere where a whole life is lived. Or a child raised within a cult. (Or in an example that may be equivalent for some, a child born to a born-again family in middle american white suburb.) I think even then there's an impulse felt to varying degrees to break away, and the more imaginative/adventurous individuals will do it, but in the absence of an outlet, many will remain within one mode of thought, possibly to their cost. (The cult member is probably headed for trouble; the mountain dweller less obviously so.)

Admittedly, I'm neither a psychologist, an anthrologist, or a sociologist, so I might be talking absolute rubbish here. But it would make sense to me if humans actually as part of their 'growing up' experienced exaggerated disdain for their authority figures -- as a way to ensure that the individual doesn't miss the possibility of other ways of thinking. That would be good programming, however the programming was achieved.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Steven wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Maybe there isn't really anything to bypass. People, you know, don't think of the origin of their religion on a regular basis even if they are professors. If they are Christian, Jewish, whatever, they stay the way they are until there is something (traumatic event, whatever really) that takes them out of their faith.

Yes, I suppose religion is deeply cultural. Similarly, we're brought up in a particular culture and simply adopt it without thinking too much about where it came from. In that sense, I can understand the apathy not to delve deeper into your particular religion's origins. But it still strikes me as highly odd not to question the actual beliefs. I think that's another area where I really struggle to understand the religiously minded.

Oh I notice it. In fact I'm sure, like you are, that it is for most people a purely emotional thing. But even in my most emotional state I like to think I can still see reason, even if I might not be able to act on reason. I recognise it is my emotions that are telling me to think and act out in unreasonable ways. The difference, I suppose, is that emotional responses like love or hate are not reflections of what you perceive to be reality in any external sense, but rather truths and facts about yourself. Me loving someone doesn't change anything about how I view the nature of reality, only that my brain has constructed a set of memories and emotional responses to a particular stimuli.

Believing Jesus was (or is) the son of God explicitly changes the rules of reality. No matter how emotional the basis for the belief may be, emotion is not a good reason to believe in anything about the external world. This is a staple of the scientific method, and it's worked out pretty well so far!

What I struggle with is how one deals with the cognitive dissonance religious beliefs continually offer. I'd love to swap minds with a religious moderate for a day, or even a week, to get a real sense of what it feels like to believe crazy things but still live in the modern world! It's a failing on my part that I don't understand it. I desperately want to. smile

While I won't explain you a lot probably, I'd like to explain my story with religion a bit, it may or may not challenge some of your notions about upbringing.

I was baptized as a Catholic, which ended up in a rather big scandal, which made my mom quit going to church. It didn't make her atheist at all, it made her a LAPSED Catholic. My grandmother was religious, going to the church once a week and I used to go with her when she was at my place, or I was at hers (she died when I was about 12). I also took the First Communion, like most of Polish kids do at the age of 8.

Observing religion is a on-off thing for me. I have severely observant periods. I attend mass, I take confessions, I take communions. One of them was when I was around 14-15 when I was going with a friend of mine and another one was when I was in my early twenties, when another guy told me that there is a mass in Latin and that they are singing Gregorian plainchant there. I went once, twice, three times, I read how to participate in the mass in full (because the rite was fully in Latin, so I had to learn prayers in that language), I fell in love with the overarching silence of the service, with some of the most important rituals being performed unheard to the participants (in fact, for a long time if a priest said these prayers so loud that it was heard beyond a certain distance, one that I forgot, he would have to *confess it* since it was regarded as a cardinal sin). Gregorian chants were beautiful, but what hooked me is the mystical silence, that made me feel a personal connection (something I strive for) with God at the moment when the most important rites were performed. I started taking confessions, my friend got me into the Gregorian choir, yes, I was singing on masses.

I gave up after they moved the Mass up so early I wouldn't be able to get up, went there once recently. I haven't been to church, but I miss that sense of personal connection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2013 edited
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

Given the damage religion continues to do, I don't find it at all surprising.

The reference to historical wrongs performed in the name of religion is probably the most-mentioned argument of non-believers. Personally, I've always seen that as a limitation of our humanity more than an example of whatever religion's shortcomings. The fault is not in the text or the personal convictions; it's in the interpretations and the human actions.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Exactly. It's not the system itself that's wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2013
    And that particular retort is often the apologetic's defense. But it neglect's where bad behaviour really comes from; faulty belief. The very system you say is not faulty is dependent on unverifiable beliefs, and in that sense it's well protected from reasoned criticism against it. Those beliefs come from religious scripts full of divisive nonsense.

What has been repeatedly noticed by non-believers is the ineffectiveness of religious moderation to say anything particularly critical of religious extremism (and to me, extremism doesn't have to be flying planes into a building, but merely discussing gay marriage 'as though it were the great moral question of our time', to paraphrase Sam Harris). It neglects the core of fundamentalist behaviour, and tries to move the goal posts by simply asserting, as you have, that bad people do bad things because they're bad people, not because their belief system may be at fault.

If all religious interpretation was as mild and benign as yours presumably is, we would be living in a much nicer world indeed. But religion has no built-in 'deadman's switch', no self-correcting mechanism to prevent it from causing harm. Religious moderation has largely (if not completely) come from a mix of trial and error and outside secularist pressure. But why should a watered down version of Iron Age philosophy present us with anything more suitable for a moral and fruitful life than a modern, 21st century discussion of morality and ethics? Why not do away with ancient scripture, realise it's mostly nonsense and build on what we have learnt in the intervening years since?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I just think it's a very onesided way to look at it, i.e. "religion has led to much harm over the years, ergo it must be bad". The fact is that it is a source of comfort for most -- in their own private ways -- and in sheer numbers that far outweighs the fundamentalist wings (where I often think that other mechanisms than faith, e.g. psychology, are in play). I don't think I'm more fond of Christian fundamentalists than you.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh no, not at all. I hope I didn't suggest that! And as I have always said, if all religious interpretations were as benign as yours and your fellow moderates, I'd be far happier about its place in society (although I'd still feel it would be important to open up a dialogue between believers and non-believers). But it's not, and that's the thing. Religious moderation may provide a temporary balm to the harsh wound of religious extremism, but it doesn't really heal the problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Why is it "irrational" to think that aliens may have visited this planet? It seems to me a far more reasonable explanation for all the ridiculous religious writings than that they just made it up on their own. I think I've read the Bible more closely than most people (in fact have read it cover to cover multiple times, under duress) and there's more crazy stuff in there than I think most people realize. And its not randomly crazy stuff like you might expect if the writers were under the influences of substances. It's specific stuff with patterns and repeated themes that all converge upon the idea of DNA. I can cite specific examples if anyone is interested.

Also, I don't see any difference between "spiritual" other dimensions and "physical" other dimensions that can be explained by science. They are just different perspectives on the same "thing". It frustrates me that most people compartmentalize their thinking on these subjects. For every religious/"spiritual" phenomenon there is a rational, scientific explanation, and I don't mean that as most people would, that the rational explanation discredits the "spiritual"-ness, but that they reinforce each other. People in ancient times believed in angels and demons; people in modern times believe in aliens, but demons and aliens have the exact same characteristics when you strip away all the BS, so why should we not assume that there is a real, material phenomenon that is inspiring all of these accounts and claims and beliefs?

Anyway, I'm right because Richard Dawkins agrees with me about aliens tongue (sort of)

Sorry if I sound like a raving lunatic, I haven't been getting enough sleep.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Oh no, not at all. I hope I didn't suggest that! And as I have always said, if all religious interpretations were as benign as yours and your fellow moderates, I'd be far happier about its place in society (although I'd still feel it would be important to open up a dialogue between believers and non-believers). But it's not, and that's the thing. Religious moderation may provide a temporary balm to the harsh wound of religious extremism, but it doesn't really heal the problem.

I think that goes for all things in life, not only faith. Moderation is usually preferred over extremism. In all areas of life, however, there will always be extremists and fundamentalists. It's not exclusive to religion.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    Why is it "irrational" to think that aliens may have visited this planet? It seems to me a far more reasonable explanation for all the ridiculous religious writings than that they just made it up on their own.

Because the evidence and the reasoning is not suggestive of aliens having ever visited us, so therefore the belief is irrational. Conspiracy theories are all good fun, but they're supported by very weak arguments. The fact that it's less crazy than religious beliefs doesn't exactly make it more reasonable either. It just means religious beliefs are extra crazy! Still, I'd be very interested to hear why you believe aliens have visited us. (And I mean that! smile)

I'm not saying they haven't, I'm just saying given what we know about the universe, the rare circumstances required for life to flourish (let alone to reach an age of space travel), the lack of real evidence supporting it and simple deductive reasoning, it seems highly unlikely that aliens have ever visited us (or less likely, continue to visit us). One could imagine an alien civilisation having once greeted our planet many thousands of years ago and simply leaving to move onto another planet. It's certainly possible, just highly improbable. (Nor is it something we could conclusively prove, so it would make no sense to believe it*.)

I really would recommend picking up a popular science book about astronomy and cosmology. I think you'll be pleasantly awe-inspired. wink

*This of course opens up a whole epistemological can of worms. I'm talking proved to such a large degree that to harbor doubt is impractical.

Also, I don't see any difference between "spiritual" other dimensions and "physical" other dimensions that can be explained by science. They are just different perspectives on the same "thing".

Spiritual planes are about so-called higher levels of conscious existence. Physical planes are simply higher dimensional mathematical descriptions that have the power to explain quantum phenomena (i.e. the quantum description of gravity as proposed by string theory only works if you allow for more than three dimensions). They have real (and potentially testable) explanatory power and aren't, like spiritual planes of existence, an appeal to emotion and human intuition. The two things are quite different indeed and are more than just semantics.

Now I'm having fun! cheesy Cheers guys. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Speaking of aliens, this is an interesting read, to put it mildly: http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/01/if-the … with-life/

Incredible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Aliens....I love those guys. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
  6. Now, here is the basic problem that I think hampers the communication in this thread, it very much relates to moderate believers no matter what the religion is (though then again, not all religions have fundamentalists, I haven't heard of fundamentalist Buddhism for example! Or shintoism).

Steven, you regard religion and science in form of an irresolvable (word?) dichotomy. What you may not realize is that formal logic doesn't necessarily solve the issue of opposites in form of a dichotomy, which means (just for the sake of readers that may not be aware what this term could formally mean) one or the other. That's Aristotelian rule of excluded middle at its finest, of course (the third is not an option, it's an either-or), but it's still not the only logical way to deal with opposites, though I wouldn't say they are so polar as atheists usually think they are.

The other way of seeing things, shared by I think most of moderate believers is that science and religion work together as a *dialectic*. Dialectic thinking is making a statement (synthesis) based on combined opposite (thesis and antithesis) notions. I for example don't consider religion and science to be mutually exclusive. Religion isn't there to explain the world anymore. That passed somewhere in 17-18th century already outside of places where no science is available at all (probably this paradigm prevails in those undiscovered Amazon villages full of tribes we haven't yet heard of and of course, good for them). Just as Neil DeGrasse-Tyson thinks that we (that is humans or for that matter any living being on this planet) are made from meteors that landed on the planet and changed the climate or whatever you may think of and regard as scientifically proven, I am not fully aware of those theories) is a spiritual notion, I have no reason whatsoever, no rational reason to say that God didn't create the world, because even atheists sometimes (saw a comment like that once!) may have issues with the fact that everything happened just like that. Spirituality is not there for explanations, it's just for the sense of not being alone in this world and something being above is. Nothing else. They don't zero themselves, it's just that they work together very nicely. That's my case.

I have often a very interesting reaction. When I see rabid atheists on Facebook and see very offensive anti-Christian posts, I actually report the pages, yes, I do. Today 90% of atheism mostly refers to making fun of mostly Christ himself or God with bringing in nothing out. When somebody tries to preach religion hard to me (though that's much more rare than whatever atheism pages share on Facebook!), I actually turn much more atheist than I really am.

Still, I know I need the metaphysical notion and drawing metaphysical conclusions from atoms doesn't quite cut it really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Spiritual planes are about so-called higher levels of conscious existence. Physical planes are simply higher dimensional mathematical descriptions that have the power to explain quantum phenomena (i.e. the quantum description of gravity as proposed by string theory only works if you allow for more than three dimensions). They have real (and potentially testable) explanatory power and aren't, like spiritual planes of existence, an appeal to emotion and human intuition. The two things are quite different indeed and are more than just semantics.

When I say "spiritual planes" I mean alternate, co-existing realities, as in a "multiverse", although I don't think it's infinite in the proper sense of the word infinite, although it may be. And I certainly don't mean in the sense of "every choice you make creates a new multiverse". It's just that religious and spiritual belief systems all across the world believe in various forms of "spiritual" alternate realities and I believe the ubiquitous nature of said belief supports the idea that such alternate realities truly exist. I believe we go to some of those realities when we dream, when we take certain drugs that are called "hallucinogens", and when we die. And I believe this can all be explained by quantum (and other fields of) physics. I don't know physics well enough to explain precisely how it works, but in general its the same principle as why we can see certain wavelengths of light and not others. Our "dimension" has barriers from the rest of the dimensions because our consciousness only accepts a certain set of frequencies. But with enough observation and experimentation we begin to see the shadows of the other dimensions and how what's happening there affects what happens here, in the same way that if Kevin Flynn got amnesia upon entering the Grid, he might still eventually realize that he's inside a computer simulation. In fact, there's some recent "science" (I put it in quotes because I'm not sure of the reputation of the scientists who did it) that suggests our entire universe is a something like a computer simulation.

I don't have the mental focus currently to respond to the finer points about the aliens subject, but I believe in aliens and them having visited here because:

-The idea of alien manipulation of ancient humanity fits everything I learned about religion (especially Judeo-Christian religion) like a hand to an expensive custom-molded glove. And I came to that conclusion without watching a single episode of that meme-generating History Channel show.

-The universe is so big (i.e. your linked article) that it seems absurd to think there isn't life on other planets, and that much of that life would have technology so advanced that it seems like magic to us. With stargate-type technology its not that hard to bridge the gaps between the stars and galaxies.

-There are countless accounts of alien visitation and manipulation in modern times. I can't quite accept the popular viewpoint that all of those people are crazy and/or lying. If there were just a few, maybe. But there's so many in so many different cultures and so much congruity between them too.

-I find it rather suspicious that the idea of believing in alien visitation is so broadly condemned and ridiculed. It seems to be one of the most stigmatic beliefs one can possibly hold...much more so than it deserves considering its relative harmlessness compared to, for example, believing in a God who does or did order genocides in his name. Why has mass media gone to SO much trouble to create the attitude it does towards the subject? This bias used to be very direct in previous decades...now its more subtle, through doing things like picking that crazy guy to be the host of Ancient Aliens when they could have just as easily picked someone who wouldn't inspire ridicule and memes mocking his disposition. Don't tell me there are no calm, level-headed people who believe the same thing! If actual religions were subjected to such constant media bias, there would be so much uproar...at least conservatives have Fox News! People like me don't have anything...we're so far out in left field we're practically in outer sp....oh God no I musn't make that pun biggrin

-And lastly, most importantly and least convincingly to anyone else, it just feels right and makes sense to me in a way that the beliefs I was raised with never did. Thankfully, there is no necessity for proselytization inherent in the belief, like there was for most of my life crazy
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    All I can say is I highly recommend reading a few books about physics and cosmology. The Fabric of The Cosmos and The Hidden Reality both by Brian Greene would be an excellent place to start if you really want to get a decent layman's introduction to quantum physics and multiverse theories. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    To Pawel, I'm all for spirituality. I think its importance is often downplayed, and a concept that religion has unfortunately hijacked. But I'm not so keen on it when it begins to make unjustifiable claims about the nature of reality. I have spiritual feelings and experiences towards art, music, nature and science and most importantly the people I love. But none of that requires me to believe in ghosts and goblins or leads me to conclude there is a benign Creator. It just means I'm capable of having such experiences. It means I have a complex brain capable of complex thought, awareness and experiences (depending on who you ask). That's it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Of course, all of this has been said and done a few times in this thread. But it's always fun to talk about it again. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    When I see rabid atheists on Facebook and see very offensive anti-Christian posts, I actually report the pages, yes, I do. Today 90% of atheism mostly refers to making fun of mostly Christ himself or God with bringing in nothing out.

Depends on your source. I can't say I've seen much evidence on facebook that "90% of atheism" boils down to mockery. Also, perhaps for the sake of your health, I wouldn't worry about it. If I got offended every time I saw a YouTube user's comment about how atheism is a sin or that Jesus is the only way or some such nonsense, I'd have white hair by now. (Well, I do. But it's unrelated to those comments.)

But since you've mentioned him, I'll let Neil DeGrasse Tyson explain why I'm not keen on being labelled an atheist.