• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. francis wrote

And about being religious, it's a coat you put on, a mindset, just like being a punk rocker or a cowboy in the wild west.

Well, I'm not so sure about this. The "homo religiosus" or "homo philosophicus" - which are really two sides of the same coin - are an integral part of the human condition. I daresay that as long as human beings are around they will continue asking these questions: "Where do we come from"? "Are we alone in this universe? If I look up to the stars, is someone looking back?" "Is there a reason to all of this? Is there an an ultimate goal?" ...

In a broader perpective all reasoning that circles around such questions is religious in nature, agnosticism and atheism is, too. You can't escape religion as well as you can't escape metaphysics. Try to abandon them, push them out of the front door and the will sneak in again behind your back.

Volker wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2013 edited
    I think those type of questions trying to find purpose or meaning to existence are a natural outcome of our evolved intelligence and our skill to observe and make connections and make sense. It is part of our quest for knowledge, in the knowledge a huge chunk of that knowledge is unattainable. It's a game. We are detectives, wikipedia is never finished.

That to me doesn't make the mystery nor the quest to solve it 'religious' in nature. I'd also go as far as say that religion is not the promoter of such questions as the answers it provides are based on blind 'faith' and have little basis in science. religion abhors critical thinking because that will ultimately discredit it. I don't buy into the 'religious until proven scientific' notion, it's the other way around for me.

Sure, you can argue that this 'talent', 'skill' to ask questions and be aware of our state of being so far makes us unique in this world and therefore sets us apart from other species; but would you still call it 'religious'/a gift only possible from God if we ourself created artificial intelligence that asks those same questions and means it? In other words create a 'soul'? Would that thinking still be considered religious or would you lean more towards scientific? Or would it simply be another chapter/specification in the manual of the cosmos?
  2. The term "religious" - in my opinion - does not necessarily include the concept of an indivdual God. Personally I do not believe in such an entity nor do I believe in any independent existence beyond matter.
    I lean towards the theory of emergence - as I have pointed out in some earlier post. Emergence means, that mind/spirit is an aspect of matter. Highly complex structures of matter, such as the human brain may lead to self-awareness and the ability of abstract thinking as well as a moral sese (mind *). This might also happen with a comlex structure that did not originate from biological evolution but from synthetic design (AI).
    To be honest this theory of emergence has some similarities with what was called pantheism in past times.
    Well, is DATA a religious person? At least he is a person and not property as we all remember. he certainly is a person interested in philosophy and to some degree I would expect that from any intelligent AI that has gained sentinence. To call it "religious" might be stretching it a bit too far.
    I agree a given Religion is not the promoter of metaphysical questions, the human mind is, that has a yearning for knowledge built into it.

To deny the relevance of metaphysical reasoning is to deny a most important part of the human condition.

That's my main issue with Richard Dawkins: He tries to establish science as an ersatz religion without questioning the premesis of science. (For example the onthological dogma of materialism. That's no better than claiming Mary's virginity.) So his pseudo-philosophical blah blah becomes dogmatic nonsense and his posing as the high priest of his shiny new religion is nothing but ridiculous. I prefer Sam Harris. His reasoning is much more careful

* I wouldn't want to call it "soul" because that term has been copyrighted by the mosaic religions.
  3. Captain Future wrote
    The term "religious" - in my opinion - does not necessarily include the concept of an indivdual God. Personally I do not believe in such an entity nor do I believe in any independent existence beyond matter.
    I lean towards the theory of emergence - as I have pointed out in some earlier post. Emergence means, that mind/spirit is an aspect of matter. Highly complex structures of matter, such as the human brain may lead to self-awareness and the ability of abstract thinking as well as a moral sese (mind *). This might also happen with a comlex structure that did not originate from biological evolution but from synthetic design (AI).
    To be honest this theory of emergence has some similarities with what was called pantheism in past times.
    Well, is DATA a religious person? At least he is a person and not property as we all remember. he certainly is a person interested in philosophy and to some degree I would expect that from any intelligent AI that has gained sentinence. To call it "religious" might be stretching it a bit too far.
    I agree a given Religion is not the promoter of metaphysical questions, the human mind is, that has a yearning for knowledge built into it.

To deny the relevance of metaphysical reasoning is to deny a most important part of the human condition.

That's my main issue with Richard Dawkins: He tries to establish science as an ersatz religion without questioning the premesis of science. (For example the onthological dogma of materialism. That's no better than claiming Mary's virginity.) So his pseudo-philosophical blah blah becomes dogmatic nonsense and his posing as the high priest of his shiny new religion is nothing but ridiculous. I prefer Sam Harris. His reasoning is much more careful

* I wouldn't want to call it "soul" because that term has been copyrighted by the mosaic religions.

"intelligent AI" -- er -- right. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2013
    But Captain, surely Dawkins argues (convincingly, in my opinion) that pantheism pretty much *is* atheism (albeit in a more poetic format). Finding the 'divine' IN (as part of) matter. The only reason he shies away from it is simply because of the potential confusion of the phrases 'god' and 'divine'.

I think I have to take issue with the concept of ontological DOGMA of of materialism, but I'd like to understand a bit better what you refer to. Could you elucidate on that a bit?
    (So we can have a heated discussion wink. )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Martijn wrote
    But Captain, surely Dawkins argues (convincingly, in my opinion) that pantheism pretty much *is* atheism (albeit in a more poetic format). Finding the 'divine' IN (as part of) matter. The only reason he shies away from it is simply because of the potential confusion of the phrases 'god' and 'divine'.

I think I have to take issue with the concept of ontological DOGMA of of materialism, but I'd like to understand a bit better what you refer to. Could you elucidate on that a bit?

I'm afraid I have very little time, because I have piles of tests to correct and the end of semester is advancing. I'll come back to that next week, OK?

Edit:

Let me say so much: The tradition of European philosophy distinguishes between pantheism (Spinoza, Bruno, Goethe) and atheism (Feuerbach, Marx, Sartre).

Well, philosophy doesn't fare much better with Dawkins then religion, does it?

Kant sais, that statements like the claim of materialism are impossible by way of logic because in the end they are dogmatic, run into a circulus vitiosus or a regressus ad infinitum (Wittgenstein-Trilemma).

So the claim of materialism might work as a (necessary) working hypothesis for emprical science. But claiming materialism as a onthological fact is to be rejected.

Another traditional probelm with strict materialism is that it's at odds with the concept of free will. I don't wanna delve into the discussion of free will in current neural sciences, here. Fact is that materialism leads to a world that is governed entirely by the law of cause and effect. The idea of free will requires it to be independent of the bounds of matter.

So much for now.
    Cheers!
    Volker
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2013
    plindboe wrote
    Interesting thoughts throughout, Mark. I'd like to just address your second paragraph. It's true that there's a lot of stuff we don't know, and I'm sure there always will be. Pointing out our lack of knowledge can indeed seem convincing at first, but when you boil these types of arguments down to a logical and concise form it becomes easy to see just how weak they are. Essentially the premise goes like this "We don't know what caused X" and the conclusion is "Therefore Y caused X", with Y being their god of course. This is a fallacy known as 'Appeal to ignorance', or in theology as 'God of the gaps', and it's incredibly common and takes countless forms especially in religious discussions, usually dressed up in scientific or poetic language. I hope you agree that we can't really conclude something on the basis of our lack of knowledge about that something, other than "therefore more research is needed".

Thanks for the elaboration. The argument is unsatisfying, I agree. But I must admit I don't care much for the "God-of-the-gaps" definition in relation to the paragraph you cited. It isn't a "gap" in scientific explanation that is the basis for the argument, but the very core of human existentialism. Scientists observe the behaviour of the universe, striving to orchestrate the results into coherent laws of nature - but they don't address its purpose or touch upon the subject of "meaning" to satisfying results. The most fertile generator of human purpose is still reigious activity, and the big questions addressed by it are closer to philosophy than natural science (which I feel is the present day status, at least). I think "God-of-the-gaps" is for a different kind of case, a case where one would point to God because nobody understands the chemical origins of biological cells (Y caused X, as you put it). I didn't mean to implicate such nonsense! Pointing to divinity as a rational conclusion based on a genuinely experienced existential pondering is an entirely different matter. It is a position I respect, but find ultimately unsatisying.

franz_conrad: It has been a while. Great to hear from you! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Martijn wrote

I'm afraid I have very little time, because I have piles of tests to correct and the end of semester is advancing. I'll come back to that next week, OK?

Thanks for your interesting post, Captain (I just cut out the edit for purposes of readability).
    You've got me re-reading Kant now!

Anyway, happy to leave the discussion for another ten days or so as my access to internet is erratic at best these days. But revisit it I certainly will as you bring up a few points that certainly warrant delving into a bit deeper!

Good luck with grading all the term papers in the meantime!

wave

markrayen wrote
    The most fertile generator of human purpose is still reigious activity,

shocked
    Mark, with the greatest respect: what do you mean by that statement, which I find deeply unsettling (and vehemently, nay, militantly would take great issue with taken at face value)?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Perhaps he meant that religion, speaking purely in crass, economical terms, generates more purpose in life for people than in any other discourse of human affairs? After all, religions do present those who are less able (or unwilling) to think for themselves a set of beliefs and moral guides in a neatly tied up little package, so it's not surprising it's the "spiritual" go-to place for most people.* Religion is like the philosophical alternative to fast food restaurants; quick and easy consolation, instant gratification, pretty much everywhere... but really not that good for you.

*Of course that's not to say that all religious people are closed off to genuine thought, some great minds have surely been and are religious in the very traditional sense of the word - but religion, with its simplistic and dogmatic beliefs, does tend to prey on those less inclined to think for themselves.
  5. Just a question. Do you think that religious belief in general, or maybe I should say as a rule, prevents people from thinking for themselves?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2013
    No, and I certainly wasn't implying that. It's just that religion is probably an easy option for people who don't have much of an inclination towards truly reflective thought (read: gullible, stupid people). It's in that sense I'd liken it to philosophical fast food. Fewer, I'm sure, take a more refined approach though (read: thoughtful, intelligent people). I may not agree with their conclusion, it may be flat out wrong, but the path prior to arriving at that conclusion is infinitely more thoughtful than "Jesus was a swell guy, that's good enough for me!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Mark, interesting thoughts.

markrayen wrote
    Scientists observe the behaviour of the universe, striving to orchestrate the results into coherent laws of nature - but they don't address its purpose or touch upon the subject of "meaning" to satisfying results

Concerning this point (and a point that was made earlier about science only answering the hows, and not the whys) I wrote down a little rant:

I do think that science answers questions about human purpose and the reasons for our existance, but people frequently don't find the answers very satisfying. Essentially we exist because our ancestors procreated, and most everything in our nature revolves around this end goal, to spread our genes; so if we want to pry a purpose to our existence from this it's: Procreate and tend to your children. Additionally, science can address the question of why we exist in more detail, by examining the historical events, selection pressures and molecular events during the course of evolution that led to humans and help to explain why we exist and why we are the way we are. Science can try to explain the emergence of life, the formation of our solar system and the Universe, and every day we get a more and more detailed picture of why we exist.

The answers don't tend to satisfy most people asking about our purpose though, because these people generally don't look for "mundane" explanations; they want a greater plan and a point to all of this existence. The thing is though, there's such a thing as asking the wrong question. If I ask "what's the purpose of this hammer?", there's an obvious answer, because a hammer is fashioned with a purpose in mind. But asking "what's the purpose of this atom?" is a loaded question as it presumes that there is some externally imposed purpose and plan for the atom. When people ask "Why are we here?", "What is our purpose?" they usually don't have the "mundane" in mind, but have loaded the questions with unjustified, religiously-based assumptions.

I think that a big part of the reason for why people, even the non-religious, ask the "wrong questions" has to do with the influence that religion has on our societies and the way we think. I think that a few centuries down the road, the questions people ask about the cosmos will be rather different and a lot more meaningful and relevant.

markrayen wrote
    The most fertile generator of human purpose is still reigious activity

I don't agree. Religion is just a drop in the ocean compared to the myriad ways people find their purposes and meaning in life. A universal, externally imposed purpose might not exist, but we are experts at giving our lifes individual meaning and purpose, applying philosophies, morals, opinions, needs, desires etc.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2013
    yeah

I quite like "We are the universe experiencing itself for a while", or "Given enough time, hydrogen will begin to wonder where it came from".
  6. plindboe wrote

When people ask "Why are we here?", "What is our purpose?" they usually don't have the "mundane" in mind, but have loaded the questions with unjustified, religiously-based assumptions.

Those questions are justified because they root within the very nature of man and they will be asked as long as man may be.

You are not beyond these questions, because docmatic materialism and docmatic atheism is just as rediculous as any religious catechism. What makes you think your assumptions to be justified? Because science is working? Oh yeah, it's working real nice until it boils down to one point and one point only:

"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

Don't hope to get any answers from that imbecile Lauwrence Krauss. Go try Heidegger ("Being and Time") for he coined that question. The point isn't origin but existence itself.

There is no realness without an observer. Reality itself is a mere hypothesis. A mathematical world formula that descibes even the ovserver remains the product of a thinking mind that observes the observer. (Gadamer)

Dogmatic ontologist are walking over thin ice indeed.

That's why Dawkins-inspired know-it-alls are driving me mad. It's their unbased aloofness, their conviction that religious people are a lesser kind of being. They make science their ersatz-religion until they realize that scince means knowledge, but knowledge does not give you a purpose.

Without purpose there are no absolute values. Everything is up to passing agreements. Without purpose there is only the abyss of nihilism, the survial of the fittest and nothing else.

I don't believe in a personal God. Yet I do believe that there is a Truth that calls this universe into existence and that all that is true and fair is rooted in that Truth, whatever it is. Without this believe, everything is void.

Volker smile
  7. Captain, are you a hermeneutist? smile

While I myself believe in a personal God, I am also a hermeneutist philosophically. Being and Time and Truth and Method belong to the most influential books on my philosophical development. That and Paul Ricoeur. I need to delve more into Nietzsche who may have a huge influence on me and is definitely a food for thought.

I know some conservative thinkers that are willing to send Gadamer and Heidegger to a mental institution (better off dead, I guess?), but I heavily laughed them off. After we lost the sense of subject (subiectum, and I would argue that the philosophy of subject is a more abstract version of philosophical anthropology which I also have a huge interest in) in modern times, or would I say postmodern? There is nothing really to cling to. Modern philosophy, even if it fails to deliver a model of life (and I think that after the 1960s philosophy has quit answering the question "how to live"), it definitely describes the state of affair very well. And that started with Nietzsche. When Nietzsche, a staunch atheist, says "God is dead", he doesn't just make a happy announcement for all atheists to come out and rejoice. He says that we lost our reference point. When God is dead, we are free roaming. It gives us ultimate freedom, but it also deprives us of direction and it is up to us only to find our own direction.

Belief in God, in and of itself, is nothing that is wrong in any way. An agnostic point of view serves the truth much better than a purely atheist one. Why? Because, in the end, God's existence, whatever science finds out, is neither proven nor disproven. Interpreting facts, if interpretation goes beyond finding the mechanisms of how the world works and how did it get to the point of it working the way it does, is a matter that, I would very staunchly say, a matter of our own and nobody else's. Going behind defining the underlying mechanisms is not something a fair scientist would intend to do. A scientist thinking that by finding the reproductive mechanisms in evolution he found the meaning of human life would simply lie. It's much more than reproduction.

Unless we agree with Freud and think that what now is human culture, philosophy, film music, modern state, was created just because a bunch of guys and gals in a cave couldn't get laid.
  8. Look, since this thread is as much about philosophy as it is about spirituality, can anyone recommend a good survey text on philosophical traditions? I must confess it's a subject that I'm an infant in, despite knowing bits and pieces about most of the names.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2013 edited
    Sorry for the long post, Volker. I actually don't have time these days to discuss, but alas I enjoy these types of discussions too much and I have a superhuman tendency to procrastinate.

Captain Future wrote
    Those questions are justified because they root within the very nature of man and they will be asked as long as man may be.

Not in my nature. I've always found these types of questions odd. Individual purposes are essential to our lifes, but assuming that there's some greater, external purpose to our existence, is an unjustified belief.

Captain Future wrote
    You are not beyond these questions, because docmatic materialism and docmatic atheism is just as rediculous as any religious catechism.

I hope you realize that you could have written this sentence better, as you essentially said that having ridiculous beliefs is a sufficient requirement to understand the questions. If that's what you meant, that doesn't bode well for the rationality of the questions. smile

Anyway, a dogma is a doctrine handed down by a religious authority that is considered absolutely true and must not be questioned. Your usage of the word is therefore beyond strange. That said, I don't follow any dogmas. In my frame of mind, realizing that I'm fallible and far from omniscient, I consider anything possible and nothing beyond question.

Captain Future wrote
    What makes you think your assumptions to be justified?

Assumptions can be justified when they lead to answers and predictions in concordance with reality. Of course wrong assumptions can still lead to correct predictions by accident, but each correct prediction is evidence (not proof) that the assumptions are valid. It's always healthy to question your own assumptions though, since we all, as fallible creatures can't avoid using false assumptions from time to time, usually without even realizing what our assumptions are.

Captain Future wrote
    Because science is working? Oh yeah, it's working real nice until it boils down to one point and one point only:

"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

No one is claiming that science is some magical tool that instantly gives us all-knowledge of the Universe and beyond, so deriding science by bringing up a question it so far hasn't answered (and perhaps never will) is both unfair and unreasonable. There will always be questions beyond our reach, that's just a fact of life.

Captain Future wrote
    Don't hope to get any answers from that imbecile Lauwrence Krauss. Go try Heidegger ("Being and Time") for he coined that question. The point isn't origin but existence itself.

Can we please skip the "I disagree with this person, therefore he is an imbecile" routine, and act like sensible adults? There are also atheists who call religious people imbeciles. I'm sure such view points annoy you as much as they annoy me, and you're not providing a valid opposition to these kinds of people by acting in the same manner.

Anyway, I haven't read his book, but from what I've seen he seems like a very intelligent chap; above you and me in the brain department. Of course he could very well be wrong, but then again, that applies to us all.

Captain Future wrote
    There is no realness without an observer.

Sounds like you have absolute certainty there. Can you explain how you came to this undoubting conclusion?

Captain Future wrote
    Reality itself is a mere hypothesis. A mathematical world formula that descibes even the ovserver remains the product of a thinking mind that observes the observer. (Gadamer)

One can suggest a lot of ideas; that everything we experience is the product of minds alone, that we live inside a computer-generated world like the Matrix, or that this whole supposed existence is just a dream. But if there's no way that we can tell these various worlds apart, I don't see the urgency in discussing them. Sure, it can be fun and mind-boggling to think about, but in the end it's simply mental masturbation.

Captain Future wrote
    Dogmatic ontologist are walking over thin ice indeed.

There's that word again.

Captain Future wrote
    That's why Dawkins-inspired know-it-alls are driving me mad. It's their unbased aloofness, their conviction that religious people are a lesser kind of being.

Not something I've witnessed. Then again, all groups have their jerks and know-it-alls, so I'm sure it happens.

Captain Future wrote
    They make science their ersatz-religion until they realize that scince means knowledge, but knowledge does not give you a purpose.

I don't understand what you mean. They make science a religion, but then they realized what the word "science" meant and they stopped doing that?

Anyway, knowledge can inform and fine-tune purposes, but indeed knowledge alone doesn't directly translate to purpose. But then again knowledge will never stand alone, so I don't see the issue. Humans have needs and aspirations etc., and when they acquire knowledge they can use it to inform and reevaluate purposes. If I learn for example that a certain type of toy contains a chemical substance that significantly increases the risks of cancer in children who play with them, a valuable purpose I could adopt could be to spread this information and trying to convince stores to stop selling the toys.

Captain Future wrote
    Without purpose there are no absolute values. Everything is up to passing agreements. Without purpose there is only the abyss of nihilism, the survial of the fittest and nothing else.

There is likely no external purpose and no absolute values, but that doesn't mean that everything is up for grabs, because we still have our nature, and the effects of nurture on physiological and psychological development has a stabilizing tendency as well. Empathy for instance is a part of our physiology, and it doesn't suddenly vanish into thin air the moment we realize there's no external purpose. If our individual purposes and values are the only purposes and values that matter, this just underlines the importance of debate and of trying to change society for the better. Religious people engage in these things as well, trying to influence others and by extension the society in which they live because they too realize that subjectivity matters greatly. It's no coincidence that the two most succesful ideas mankind has ever had, democracy and science, has debate and the free exchange of ideas at their core. This is how the world changes for the better; utilizing subjectivity, instead of insisting on unchanging objective values.

Additionally, assuming for a moment that this greater purpose actually exists, it still has no consequences for how we function, because people don't even know what this purpose is and can't even agree on what it is, and when they claim to know, they without fail extend their own preferences and biases unto the universe and call it objective fact. This is why even if an external purpose and objective values actually existed, subjectivity would still be utterly in control.

Btw, I realize that this is a pet peeve, but fitness in a biological context has to do with survival and reproduction of a particular phenotype in a given environment. In one species, let's take cheetahs as an example, more muscle tissue in the limbs would mean increased speed and agility, which could mean an increase in fitness (though a decrease in fitness is probably a more likely scenario, as muscle tissue uses a lot of energy). In a social species, like humans, fitness in large part depends on cooperation and empathy. The people who are asocial bullies are the truly unfit, no matter how big and strong they are, as they'll experience serious consequences from society and people in their lifes, which will tend to decrease their life span and reproductive value. So when a person automatically assumes that "survival of the fittest" produces cruel and oppressive conditions, it shows that he doesn't really know what the phrase means.

Captain Future wrote
    I don't believe in a personal God. Yet I do believe that there is a Truth that calls this universe into existence and that all that is true and fair is rooted in that Truth, whatever it is. Without this believe, everything is void.

Whether you are a theist or not, everything you've said is very clearly influenced by theistic ways of thinking.

Peter smile
  9. double post
  10. PawelStroinski wrote
    Captain, are you a hermeneutist? smile

Yeah, I am. It's because hermeneutics is the link between my two teaching subjects philosophy and German literature.

My guiding lights are Immanuel Kant, Hans Georg Gadamer and Umberto Eco. Well, it's hard not to be an idealist if you studied philosophie in Germany during the 90s. Most chairs then were still hold by people belonging to the Neo-Kant-School. Things have changed a bit since then.

Cheers!
    Volker
  11. plindboe wrote
    Sorry for the long post, Volker. [...]
    Peter smile

Hi Peter,

thanks a lot for your long and interesting post! Well, I got carried away a bit with my rhethorics. I t happens when it comes to metaphysics. wink
    As you, I have very little time now but I hope to return to our little discussion in the course of the next weekend.
    And you are quite right: While I deny the validity of any codified faith I am close to religious concepts. I don't believe in God but I do believe in the devine. I realise that the idealistic philosophie in Germany was part of the romantic movement. The yearning for something bigger than life is a romantic notion. I always thought that religion as well as metaphysics is basically a question of one's personal predisposition.

Cheers!
    Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Interesting post, Pawel, though I can't say I know much about the authors you mentioned.

PawelStroinski wrote
    Belief in God, in and of itself, is nothing that is wrong in any way. An agnostic point of view serves the truth much better than a purely atheist one. Why? Because, in the end, God's existence, whatever science finds out, is neither proven nor disproven.

In my experience, the vast majority of atheists and the vast majority of agnostics have exactly the same ideas about God/gods. Where these two groups differ are in semantics only. Neither believe in God, due to insufficient evidence and neither group will say that they can ever know with certainty. I prefer to use the label atheist for myself, even though I'm both an agnostic and an atheist. I consider the term agnostic a bit useless, because it's such an obvious fact to say that you don't know. Of course nobody can know for certain. It's a bit like saying that the sky is blue. Agnosticism is more of a statement of humility and passivity, communicating that you aren't in opposition and that you don't want to take a stand, and since religious beliefs can inspire so strong emotions especially when confronted with people who profess non-belief, I can understand why many choose to use that label.

In any case, if something can neither be shown to exist or shown not to exist, not to form a belief about it until the evidence is in, i.e. the pure atheist stance, is as rational and open-minded as you can possibly get. That's how belief formation normally occur for everyone; we have a reason to believe, we believe; we don't have a reason to believe, we don't believe. Agnosticism is just as rational, but it's often a bit of a misnomer in these types of discussions as they are about belief systems, not about knowledge. Answering "What do you believe?" with "I don't have knowledge" is not an answer to the question that was posed.

PawelStroinski wrote
    A scientist thinking that by finding the reproductive mechanisms in evolution he found the meaning of human life would simply lie. It's much more than reproduction.

Unless we agree with Freud and think that what now is human culture, philosophy, film music, modern state, was created just because a bunch of guys and gals in a cave couldn't get laid.

Indeed, my points about evolution should be explained more fully, though I have the feeling that the more I explain in detail, the more chances there are for people to misunderstand something, especially since I'm going to be a bit controversial.

Firstly, I didn't mean to imply that this purpose of reproduction is something we have to live by. In fact I consider it a poor purpose to live by. I'd become a sperm donor in seconds, if I had adopted the spreading of my genes as a purpose in life. My point was that if one for inexplicable reasons demands a universal human purpose then reproduction is the closest you will get. But just because nature has endowed us with instincts to fulfill a certain purpose, does not make it a good purpose to live by. Likewise we also have a natural propensity to wage war, but this is another one that must be avoided. Thinking that something is good because it's natural is a fallacy known as appeal to nature.

Secondly, it should be pointed out that I'm not a reductionist and didn't mean to imply that everything about the way we live and think is fully explained by survival and reproduction, since there's such a thing as sociocultural evolution (nothing to do with biological evolution) which has complicated matters a great deal. It's when we look at our more basic instincts and desires that biological evolution has a lot to say; our tendency to overeat when we have access to plenty of resources, while we paradoxically want to appear attractive to the other sex; our propensity to compete with our own sex, men in particular are very competitive; our fascination, often obsession with sex; our demand for monogamy paradoxically combined with an unfortunate propensity towards infidelity; why we can produce offspring already from ages 10-12 before we are even psychologically mature enough to grasp the consequences; physical differences between sexes, like size and strength, behavioural differences between sexes for instance in regarding levels of aggression, sexual desire and the way we express it, selectivity when choosing partners, women tending to be more picky; men choosing more based on looks and women finding success and power more attractive, while men not coincidentally tend to compete more for success and power and women put greater efforts into their looks. These are just off the top of my head of course.

Btw, try not to misunderstand the above. There's always variation, and most people will have exceptions to some of these "rules"; they are all statistical observations. I also realize that the above statements about sex differences are controversial, and some would argue that all differences are attributed to culture. This is not true though, as can be witnesssed by comparing different, unrelated cultures, and observing surprisingly similar behavioural differences between the two sexes. In any case, I guess I should also point out that people should always be treated with equal respect and have equal opportunities, no matter how real the differences may be.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Hi Peter,

thanks a lot for your long and interesting post! Well, I got carried away a bit with my rhethorics. I t happens when it comes to metaphysics. wink

Hehe, I understand completely, as I can be guilty of that as well.

Captain Future wrote
    As you, I have very little time now but I hope to return to our little discussion in the course of the next weekend.

Don't worry, there's no pressure at all. In fact I'd probably flunk my next exam if you were to reply quickly, as I'm too busy to reply, and yet too interested to not participate in the discussion. wink

Captain Future wrote
    And you are quite right: While I deny the validity of any codified faith I am close to religious concepts. I don't believe in God but I do believe in the devine. I realise that the idealistic philosophie in Germany was part of the romantic movement. The yearning for something bigger than life is a romantic notion. I always thought that religion as well as metaphysics is basically a question of one's personal predisposition.

Cheers!
    Volker

That is interesting, thanks. smile

Peter smile
  12. Captain Future wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Captain, are you a hermeneutist? smile

Yeah, I am. It's because hermeneutics is the link between my two teaching subjects philosophy and German literature.

My guiding lights are Immanuel Kant, Hans Georg Gadamer and Umberto Eco. Well, it's hard not to be an idealist if you studied philosophie in Germany during the 90s. Most chairs then were still hold by people belonging to the Neo-Kant-School. Things have changed a bit since then.

Cheers!
    Volker

To be honest, I would love to find a link between the Gadamerian/Ricoeurian thought (Ricoeur is fantastic, he explained some Gadamer's concepts to me, like the Wirkungsgeschichte) and Ernst Cassirer.
  13. franz_conrad wrote
    Look, since this thread is as much about philosophy as it is about spirituality, can anyone recommend a good survey text on philosophical traditions? I must confess it's a subject that I'm an infant in, despite knowing bits and pieces about most of the names.

Hermeneutics would be easier to explain for me in succinct words than rather finding a good English-language (I haven't found one myself!) .

Hermeneutics directly come from Bible interpretation from even philosophers like St. Augustine and the first text called Hermeneutics (Peri hermeneias) was written by Aristotle. Flash forward to the turn between 18th and 19th centuries. A German philologist and pastor, Schleiermacher, has created his theory which he orients around the sense of circle of interpretation, coming from explanation (Verklären) to understanding (Verstehen). The text which was notes prepared for his lectures was discovered late into 19th century.

By the end of 19th century two philosophers set up what prepared modern hermeneutics. They were Friedrich Nietzsche (stemming from his concept of the Death of God), who said that our condition is trying to understand reality around us, relevant when you lose the point of reference that was God in the pre-Nietzschean word (that doesn't say there weren't atheists before Nietzsche, Schopenhauer was one for example), but the value system and sense of being the subject (as opposed to everything else being the object, something that has prevailed since Descartes and his famous je pense, donc je suis, the concept of the "thinking I" - ego cogitans or even the thinking thing, res cogitans as opposed to non-human objects which are defined as res extensa, things that are extensive; note that I don't use the Latin formula of cogito ergo sum, which contrary to popular belief was never stated by Descartes himself).

The other philosopher, Wilhelm Dilthey, stemmed from the differentiation that Wilhelm Windelband made between natural and human sciences (Geisteswissenschaften), now notice the term Geist, it's often translated as human sciences, but there is a huge reference to the system of G. W. F. Hegel, which had a huge influence on 19th Century philosophy and he is someone I haven't yet explored systematically. Dilthey has taken Schleiermacher's lectures and made it a general (rather than reading texts) approach to history and to literature, though saying that Dilthey is merely a methodologist is a huge understatement, his point is that understanding literature and history helps us understand the world and deal with reality, which leads us to the next point in our journey.

Coming from phenomenological thought of his teacher Edmund Husserl, Martin Heidegger redefined both phenomenology (to slight chagrin from Husserl) and hermeneutics in Being and Time, his big project, made before he would become a hugely controversial figure (Heidegger openly supported Nazis, to the point that when Husserl, who was Jewish, died in 1939, for political reason Heidegger did NOT attend his funeral). At this point hermeneutics become a staple of existence of the Dasein, "the Being-here", which while being an ontological construct rather than an anthropological one, is "me and nothing else", as Heidegger states repeatedly in this work), our existence is defined by our attempts (Heidegger doesn't ponder whether they are ever successful) of the world "that is always ours", but exists before we start to exist. That development, like the care (Sorge) and Zeitlichkeit (I would translate it as Temporality if Temporalität wasn't suggested by Heidegger in another work), which also defines us through Being-till (to?)-death, the famous Sein-zum-Tode. Our time is limited and our existence is defined by trying to understand what is around us. As a German, Captain could expand hugely on those concepts, which I surely provide only in simplification and possibly missing out on relevant contexts or concepts that go beyond Being and Time and beyond other things, that I haven't caught yet.

A major student of Martin Heidegger was the German philosopher Hans-Georg Gadamer, whose concepts were defined in the huge work called Truth and Method. While it seems to be a work about aesthetics (critique of Kant's Critique of Judgment), it goes beyond that and linguistically expands Being and Time. The general thought of understanding reality around us is expanded on quite heavily and he also talks about how history affects us, how tradition affects us and even, how we communicate with other people through their works (The contact between a literary work or more general work of art, and the perceiver is defined by what is called a Conversation, also the fusion of horizons, which is the agreement of my perspective and the work's perspective). Now, this all seems to be methodology, but because Gadamer comes directly from his work with Martin Heidegger, Gadamer's philosophy is also a philosophy of life. What is called philosophical hermeneutics, is describing the way we exist in the world (and those concepts, to get back to Heidegger for a while, were also taken up by existentialists like especially Jean-Paul Sartre). It is still very strongly a philosophy of *life* rather than just ways to read something.

The second major hermeneutics author is the Frenchman Paul Ricoeur, who while sharing a lot of concepts with Gadamer (he is quoting Truth and Method a lot in his works and through him I understood the above-described sense of historical effect on ourselves). Rather than the contact with the work being a conversation between Me and the Other, Ricoeur states that it leads us to auto-reflection. And also another relevant point of Ricoeur's work, or rather his evolution as a philosopher: Ricoeur goes from hermeneutics of symbols (largely influenced by Freud at that point), to hermeneutics of texts (he was a big reader of language theory), to the hermeneutics of *action*. This is the final point that I think summarizes what hermeneutics is: Our understanding of the works of art (in Ricoeur's case our understanding of literary works) and history leads us to action in the world we live in. We draw conclusions from what we know of history and of works we have read in life (that includes The Bible! Ricoeur was a very strongly religious person!) influences the way we live our lives.

Two things to wrap this long (and yet, trust me Michael, succinct for the subject and that at expense of simplifications) post. I haven't really finished the point about subject and object. Since Schleiermacher, the understanding cycle is in fact, a circle. From pre-understanding to explanation, to understanding. What does that lead us to? Especially in the Heideggerian and Gadamerian sense, that means that the roles of subject and object is interchangeable, we are *both* at the same time. By understanding the world, we better understand ourselves, which leads us to a better understanding of the world and so on. It is not a vicious circle, as Heidegger states, it is the mode of existence which defies formal logic (a very brave point to make when analytical philosophy started to be heavily influential, thanks to guys like A. N. Whitehead and Bertrand Russell) as it is. Also, one of the basic logical methods used by hermeneutists is dialectics (Ricoeur makes a very strong point here), which as I described above, is the opposite way of dealing with opposites than seeing things as dichotomies - dialectics mean that you build a full thought (synthesis) from two opposites (thesis and antithesis). What was just a rhetorical/logical move for the ancient philosophers, Hegel (Georg Wilhelm Friedrich, Captain?) made a staple of our existence and history and even aesthetics. It is also a huge influence on what we have today even if Hegel was very quickly rejected afterwards or heavily reworked by the likes of Engels and Marx.

Last thing. Of the philosophers I mentioned, as far as I am aware, only Schleiermacher and Ricoeur were religious and both were Protestant. This led to go from Bible to life so easily in their thought. They didn't have to deal with the Catholic Tradition, which sometimes trumps the meaning of the Biblical text itself.
  14. PawelStroinski wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Look, since this thread is as much about philosophy as it is about spirituality, can anyone recommend a good survey text on philosophical traditions? I must confess it's a subject that I'm an infant in, despite knowing bits and pieces about most of the names.

Heidegger openly supported Nazis, to the point that when Husserl, who was Jewish, died in 1939, for political reason Heidegger did NOT attend his funeral. [...]

What was just a rhetorical/logical move for the ancient philosophers, Hegel (Georg Wilhelm Friedrich, Captain?)

Pawel, I am mightily impressed what you can knock out on such short notice!

The Heidegger-Nazi-debate ... Well, he did VERY actively support the Nazi movement when it came to power, at the same time he despised Hiter personally because of his lack of education, not because of his views. The phase of active support ended rather quickly though and then Heidegger entered what is called "inner imigration". That he didn't attend Husserl's funeral was pure "opportunismus" (How do you call that in English?) Not a nobel move, for sure.

Heidegger didn't resist the Nazis, but to be frank, had I lived then ... I am nut sure if I had not joined the movement head over heals in a fit of misguided idealism.

----

Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, right on!

----

Don't forget the semiotic approach of Umberto Eco: "The Open Work" and "The Limits of Interpretation" are most enlightening in my opinion. I love how he de-constructs biggrin Jacques Derrida in the latter book.
    Speaking of Derrida: He and Paul de Man should be mentioned, too.

----

Gadamer and Cassirer, that is a tough one. For a direct comparison you would probably have to search for an essay.
    Of course there are basic introductions to philosophical hermeneutics, but I believe you are beyond these.
    A possible advance might be to ask "How did the phenomenological school relate to Kant as opposed to Ernst Cassirer. I suppose Husserl, Heidegger and especially Gadamer were closer to Kant than Cassirer was. I would think there is a gab not easily bridged. I'm not sure if Cassirer's philosophy might even be called transcendental.

I just found this Guide to "Truth and Method":

http://www.amazon.de/Hans-Georg-Gadamer … amp;sr=1-3

In the preface the author seems to state Gadamer's lack of awareness for Cassirer.

So why don't you bridge that gab yourself when writing you PhD. (B.thW. something I never had any interest in doing and if I had it would have been literature rather than philosophy.)

Greetings! wave
    Volker
  15. My PhD is in literature and I am using a hermeneutic method in it.
  16. PawelStroinski wrote
    My PhD is in literature and I am using a hermeneutic method in it.

I see.
    Back when I was in university (Siegen) there was a professor (S.J. Schmidt) who promoted the concept of radical constructivism. His followers uses to chant

"Hermeneutics is dead!
    Hermeneutics is dead!
    Hermeneutics is dead!"

all day. Oh, well ...

V.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2013
    Dammit Peter! Stop posting what I want to write! angry Although far more eloquent than I could hope to.wink

I really do hate this often touted assumption that there must be some external purpose to reality, as though the universe couldn't possibly exist without some divine purpose and without it we are living meaninglessness lives (and by extension, the assumption that the assumption is a valid assumption simply because we can dream it up).
    That line of reasoning irks me to the very core. It belittles our ability to have and create our own meaning.
  17. Steven wrote
    Dammit Peter! Stop posting what I want to write! angry Although far more eloquent than I could hope to.wink

I really do hate this often touted assumption that there must be some external purpose to reality, as though the universe couldn't possibly exist without some divine purpose and without it we are living meaninglessness lives (and by extension, the assumption that the assumption is a valid assumption simply because we can dream it up).
    That line of reasoning irks me to the very core. It belittles our ability to have and create our own meaning.

It's a question of logic, not of probabilities.

Thesis a: There is a god.
    Thesis b: There is no god. *

Since you can't furnish proof for one thesis or the other both are equal in terms of logic. Probabilities are interesting in this context but the fact remains that this fundamentally is a question of what you choose to believe in. End of story.

... Well, not really: I completely agree that in the light of modern science the concept of a creator seems highly improbable. Yet probability does not substitute logic proof.

Someone here said, that religion is a mindset. It is, and so is atheism. I think it's a question of your personal predisposition whether you feel better with the notion of there being something bigger than live or you don't.

Religious people often state that they feel the constant presence of a benevolent counterpart. I'm sure they do. They do because they need to. And there is nothing foolish about it because we all need reassurence of some kind.

For myself I share the yearning for there beeing something bigger than me. I get that feeling especially whenever I behold the sea, the mountains, the firmament. I also get that feeling when entering a cathedral. I'm perfeclty aware of what is going on psychologically in such situations. But those situations are just catalysts. The feeling as such never leaves me. Of course that is no proof for the acutal existence of God or the Devine.

What sets me appart from religious people is that I deny the validity of any codified religion and a deep distrust of organized religion. So I prefer to translate the religious language into a more abstract metaphysical one.

So what about people who don't share that notion? They are content with what answers they already have. The notion of there being something they canno grasp is probably disturbing for them rather than reassuring. They find reassurence in science and rationality. Does that make them more intelligent? No, because

Thesis a1: There is nothing beyond matter. (materialism)
    Thesis b1: The res cogitans exist independently from matter. (Cartesianism or dualism)

* And here we go again ...

Cheers!
    Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote

It's a question of logic, not of probabilities.

Thesis a: There is a god.
    Thesis b: There is no god. *

Since you can't furnish proof for one thesis or the other both are equal in terms of logic. Probabilities are interesting in this context but the fact remains that this fundamentally is a question of what you choose to believe in. End of story.

... Well, not really: I completely agree that in the light of modern science the concept of a creator seems highly improbable. Yet probability does not substitute logic proof.

I suppose this is a problem in the language rather than the intent, but I feels it's still worth addressing. Belief isn't something we can choose, beliefs are the inescapable conclusions our brains arrive at given specific information and experiences. Belief is like pouring honey into a maze; the shape of the maze tells the honey where to go, but the honey can't go where it wants. In much the same way the brain cannot ignore the prior input to a belief and then simply "choose" to believe something else.

As well as this, in terms of logic, a disbelief in God is not on an equal-but-opposite footing to a belief in God, which is what you seem to suggest. I suppose it is a tempting comparison to make since they do at least appear to be opposites on the face of it. But a lack of belief is simply the position taken when the evidence doesn't overwhelm with a positive answer. It's logic we all use in daily life, and serves us well in order to lead healthy, structured lives.

A disbelief in God is quite different to the assumption, which in my case is based on solid reasoning and skepticism, that God doesn't exist (although one does follow from the other). And probabilities matter. They matter greatly! They matter because it's seemingly impossible to assert anything with 100% certainty, except in the abstract world of mathematics (although I'm no expert in the field of epistemology, so I could be wrong?).

But most of us don't tend to go around thinking "It's impossible to prove that I'm not in The Matrix, so I will live my life as though I were", simply because it's impractical to do so. Beliefs clearly have utility. But that doesn't mean usefulness is proportional to the belief's validity. Beliefs should, ideally, be formed only when the evidence is overwhelming. The evidence for God, divinity or some universal purpose is -arguably- not particularly overwhelming, especially when painfully simple reasoning is applied. In that sense, that is why I "believe" there is no God or "believe" there is no greater, external purpose, in exactly the same way I "believe" there isn't a planet made entirely from cheese somewhere out there in the universe. Show me a good reason to change my "beliefs", and I will. Happily so! (I hope at this point it's clear why I put beliefs in quotation marks.)

Someone here said, that religion is a mindset. It is, and so is atheism. I think it's a question of your personal predisposition whether you feel better with the notion of there being something bigger than live or you don't.

Religious people often state that they feel the constant presence of a benevolent counterpart. I'm sure they do. They do because they need to. And there is nothing foolish about it because we all need reassurence of some kind.

For myself I share the yearning for there beeing something bigger than me. I get that feeling especially whenever I behold the sea, the mountains, the firmament. I also get that feeling when entering a cathedral. I'm perfeclty aware of what is going on psychologically in such situations. But those situations are just catalysts. The feeling as such never leaves me. Of course that is no proof for the acutal existence of God or the Devine.

What sets me appart from religious people is that I deny the validity of any codified religion and a deep distrust of organized religion. So I prefer to translate the religious language into a more abstract metaphysical one.

So what about people who don't share that notion? They are content with what answers they already have. The notion of there being something they canno grasp is probably disturbing for them rather than reassuring. They find reassurence in science and rationality. Does that make them more intelligent? No, because

Thesis a1: There is nothing beyond matter. (materialism)
    Thesis b1: The res cogitans exist independently from matter. (Cartesianism or dualism)

I share the feeling of grandeur you describe here, but mine is satisfied in quite a different way. I only need look to science (our best method from sorting fact from fiction and asking the right questions*) to see just how mindboggingly stupendous the reality we live in is. To understand that stars, planets and life itself arrived from such simple beginnings is an astounding thing we can ponder and question thanks to the many brilliant endeavours of those men and women of science. Science is not some cold, harsh method of obtaining statistics; it's a living, breathing endeavour of human imagination! (In fact, I always think it's a shame when religious people are content with their answers.)

I also think you're unfairly describing (or perhaps even confusing) skepticism with too narrow a label. I do not dogmatically hold to the assertion that there isn't something beyond what we know as matter (and its equivalent energy), but I don't see any reason to assume that there is (or even imagine what that could be?). Given what matter and energy are capable of, I always find it a little surprising that this isn't enough for some people?

*I don't think this is a point that can be emphasised enough