• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2013 edited
    Also, I don't agree that my disposition towards atheism is a reflection of what I am more comfortable believing. There have been many occasions where I have actually envied religious beliefs, where I've desperately wanted to be comforted by an irrational belief. But it doesn't happen. I'm a non-theist because it's the default, most reasonable position to take. Any comfort I might get out of "atheism" is just a bonus.
  1. Steven:
    A disbelief in God is quite different to the assumption, which in my case is based on solid reasoning and skepticism, that God doesn't exist (although one does follow from the other). And probabilities matter. They matter greatly! They matter because it's seemingly impossible to assert anything with 100% certainty, except in the abstract world of mathematics (although I'm no expert in the field of epistemology, so I could be wrong?).

Volker:
    My point exately: Certainty is impossible. Therefore we believe. (Not necessarily according to a codified religion, I am not defending Christianity here or any other religion.)

I agree: "choose" is the wrong word. Believing in a given religion can be a gift in many situatons. I felt that envy, too.

A given religion - say Christianity - might be irrational. I am convinced that it is on many levels. We probably agree on that point. That doesn't mean though that dogmatic materialism is a rational conclusion. We seem to agree here, too, although your above statement seems to be in conflict with your initial post.

And yes: Thesis 1 and 2 ARE on equal footing, and no: propabilities do not matter here at all. If we analyse both claims on the basis of words and syntax for their logic values they are obiously equal. And that's the substance of it, everything else is accidental.

One final point: As you rightfully stated above an irrational belief is a source of great comfort for many people. No how do we regard those people. Are they less enlightened then we are? Would it not be mercyless to force our "enlightenment" on those who mourn? As Nietzsche said: It takes the Übermensch to suffer the void.

Have mercy on those who can belive and who want to believe. However high the probabilities may be on our side, at the and of the day we are none the wiser than they are. A crusade for atheism would proof as devestating as every crusade before.

V. smile

PS: If propabilities are that importand to you ... Did you ever take part in the national lottery?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2013 edited
    Volker,

1.You seem to have forgotten about the third "choice": To neither believe in a or b. If neither position has been supported then surely the only rational position must be to not adopt either belief, right? This position is frequently described as weak atheism.

2. What would you say to a guy who used your argument word for word, except he substituted the word god for Santa Claus? Would you then accept that believing in Santa Claus is just as valid as disbelieving?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2013
    Steven wrote
    Dammit Peter! Stop posting what I want to write! angry Although far more eloquent than I could hope to.wink

Hehe. My ego just asked me to thank you for that compliment.

Anyway, I shall not participate much more, until perhaps after the exams, so it's all yours again.

Steven wrote
    I really do hate this often touted assumption that there must be some external purpose to reality, as though the universe couldn't possibly exist without some divine purpose and without it we are living meaninglessness lives (and by extension, the assumption that the assumption is a valid assumption simply because we can dream it up).

Indeed, that's faith for ya. Not a pretty sight.

Peter smile
  2. plindboe wrote
    2. What would you say to a guy who used your argument word for word, except he substituted the word god for Santa Claus? Would you then accept that believing in Santa Claus is just as valid as disbelieving?

Peter smile

Perhaps however the probability of Santa Claus having escaped all previous analysis of the North Pole would assist in making one outcome closer to lean on, even though it's conceivable that Santa Claus does exist.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    franz_conrad wrote
    Perhaps however the probability of Santa Claus having escaped all previous analysis of the North Pole would assist in making one outcome closer to lean on, even though it's conceivable that Santa Claus does exist.

Exactly. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you seem to reason just like Steven and me. wink Volker said earlier that probabilities don't matter, and it seems that he thinks he has done some form of logical proof. I really hope I'm either misunderstanding him or that he's just tired and therefore isn't thinking clearly.

Anyway, let's try a more entertaining example: Invisible, Incorporeal, tap dancing gremlins from Alpha Centauri? Just as valid to believe they exist, as to believe they don't?

Peter smile
  3. I'm not as into astronomy as I once was, but in the case of Alpha Centauri, surely we have less on the ground evidence for what those gremlins would be dancing on. wink

I guess implicit in my remark on Santa Claus though was the notion that, unlike a number of angelic beings of lore, his existence hinges on a number of things that are a bit easier to test out than say, a deity that can take on any form he wished. If you have not found Santa Claus at the North Pole, and you have spotted your parents sneaking out the presents by night, and you've observed that you still receive good presents even though you know you did *that naughty thing*, then you've got Saint Nick on the run. There's not much left that he's meant to do (in that cultural manifestation at least -- there are nastier versions), that could you test his existence on. If he exists, he is so different to what he's believed to be, that he might as well not exist.

A bit harder than an invisible deity who apparently reveals himself only to those that love him, who does much of his work through the agency of free-willed individuals, who debates his actions with his two other immaterial selves ... and other less tangible properties than these. It's harder to trap this thing down to a certain testable action that weights the probability against its existence. (What's easier to do perhaps is catch it on something it says that doesn't seem true, but that doesn't necessarily rule out everything else about it, including its existence -- that's just a notch on its infallibility, something of value only to many that believe in it, more of polemical value to those that don't.)

My contributions here are more occasional -- partly because I have too much trouble keeping up with all the nuances of the various posts. So I occasionally throw in a barb here or there when something catches my eye. But don't think I'm part of a coordinated response to the rest of your post. Santa Claus just felt like a bit of a straw man. wink (As are little green men on alpha centauri for that matter -- rhetorically invoking the lack of credibility with which any mention of such gremlins is usually rewarded.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Steven:
    A disbelief in God is quite different to the assumption, which in my case is based on solid reasoning and skepticism, that God doesn't exist (although one does follow from the other). And probabilities matter. They matter greatly! They matter because it's seemingly impossible to assert anything with 100% certainty, except in the abstract world of mathematics (although I'm no expert in the field of epistemology, so I could be wrong?).

Volker:
    My point exately: Certainty is impossible. Therefore we believe. (Not necessarily according to a codified religion, I am not defending Christianity here or any other religion.)

I agree: "choose" is the wrong word. Believing in a given religion can be a gift in many situatons. I felt that envy, too.

A given religion - say Christianity - might be irrational. I am convinced that it is on many levels. We probably agree on that point. That doesn't mean though that dogmatic materialism is a rational conclusion. We seem to agree here, too, although your above statement seems to be in conflict with your initial post.

How so?

And yes: Thesis 1 and 2 ARE on equal footing, and no: propabilities do not matter here at all. If we analyse both claims on the basis of words and syntax for their logic values they are obiously equal. And that's the substance of it, everything else is accidental.

You seem to be playing a slippery word game here, and committing rather a big logical fallacy.

Thesis A: There is a pink, flowery teapot orbiting the sun

Thesis B: There isn't a pink, flowery teapot orbiting the sun

Which is to say any two statements of 'existence' and 'non-existence' will of course have equal weighting in terms of their syntax. But that doesn't mean each statement presents us with an equally likely claim to truth. You use reason and evidence to weigh up the probability of either statement being true.

Then again, if your point is that God cannot be disproved and that often believers see that as a good defense of their belief, then yes, I agree that they do.

One final point: As you rightfully stated above an irrational belief is a source of great comfort for many people. No how do we regard those people. Are they less enlightened then we are? Would it not be mercyless to force our "enlightenment" on those who mourn? As Nietzsche said: It takes the Übermensch to suffer the void.

There's certainly a time and a place to discuss the irrationality of religious belief. Going up to a bereaving widow after her partner has died and explaining to her that her belief in heaven is probably wrong wouldn't be a very nice thing to do. But having an open discussion about beliefs and encouraging people to think about them does open up healthy dialogue. Given what religious beliefs cause people to do (and even to think), it's important to keep that dialogue going. (Admittedly it's slightly less urgent here on this forum, where I talk about it for more selfish reasons, but in general I think it's good to keep the discussion going so that somewhere, someplace the light of reason may start to peer through the cracks of doubt.)

Have mercy on those who can belive and who want to believe. However high the probabilities may be on our side, at the and of the day we are none the wiser than they are. A crusade for atheism would proof as devestating as every crusade before.

So probabilities do matter? wink

I don't think anyone's on a crusade for "atheism", but merely a discussion and a hope for rationality (in fact, I started discussions again purely out of boredom).

PS: If propabilities are that importand to you ... Did you ever take part in the national lottery?

An odd thing to say since it kind of proves my point in one statement. The chances of winning the lottery are extremely low; therefore I don't play it. Then again, playing the lottery and hoping for a win is quite different indeed to playing the lottery and believing you will win. The former is quite a rational and perfectly reasonable position to take, especially when the price of a ticket is comparatively cheap to the possible winnings; the latter is clearly irrational when the odds are so against you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Franz,

I agree with your points. I didn't bring up Santa as an analogy to God, I brought it up because of Volker's "proof"; I wanted to see if he would accept that any absurdity could be put into it, especially a more testable entity as Santa since Volker indicated that probability didn't matter to his "proof".

Peter smile
  4. Ah! It turns out context is still everything,after all.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    I'm responding a little late, but thanks Peter for more good insights! Concerning my opinion about religion being the big "generator" of human purpose: I think it was a poor formulation. People all over the world continue to be enchanted by the same epic stories and the same poetic formulations of practical ethics, and perhaps they reverb in us so beautifully because they cherish values that are already innately human, albeit consciously unexplored, truths.
  5. I was offline for 36 hours because the local technical center of my provider burned down.

Yeah, you can substitute "God" with everything you want. No matter.

I did't want to proof the existence of the Christian God or a theist god of the Flighing Spaghetti Monster. All I wanted to indicate is the limits of our reasoning.

And that is not a slippery word game. The limit of our language is the limit of our thought, therefore the logic analysis of language comes before everything else.

Enjoying this a lot!

Cheers!
    Volker
  6. That sounded Wittgensteinian!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    That sounded Wittgensteinian!

Indeed. I work in Siegen in the county of Siegen-Wittgenstein, so ... dizzy

Well, the "Linguistic Turn" has allways interested me. Language is something of a gap in Kant's system.

I would not go as far as Wittgenstein, though, because that is the breakdown of philosophy. But think of Searl, Austin, Ricoeur, Barthes, Eco ... very interesting!

Volker
  8. I need to get to read Searle and Austin, I've promised myself them for ages.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    And that is not a slippery word game. The limit of our language is the limit of our thought, therefore the logic analysis of language comes before everything else.

But not at the cost of reason. To declare two statements have equal weighting simply because the logic of two opposing theses are equals to one another in terms of their syntax is to commit rather a big logical fallacy. To suggest that somehow probabilities don't matter when deciding which statement is more likely to be true is to do away with logic and reason altogether. Otherwise any unfalsifiable claim should be taken seriously! Unless of course you meant something else by 'propabilities do not matter here at all'?

Enjoying this a lot!

Me too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Urgh. Losing the momentum of this thread.will revert when I'm back in Holland and on full internet-capacity again.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. Steven wrote
    Captain Future wrote

But not at the cost of reason. To declare two statements have equal weighting simply because the logic of two opposing theses are equals to one another in terms of their syntax is to commit rather a big logical fallacy. To suggest that somehow probabilities don't matter when deciding which statement is more likely to be true is to do away with logic and reason altogether. Otherwise any unfalsifiable claim should be taken seriously! Unless of course you meant something else by 'propabilities do not matter here at all'?

Enjoying this a lot!

Me too!

Logical analysis of a sentence involves syntactic, semantic and pragmatic (to whom is it adressed?) element, so it's not just syntactic, as you just said.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I disagree. What you describe is communication and understanding, not logical analysis.
    Communicative analysis would entail syntax, semantics and semiotics. Logical (internal) analysis concerns itself with logical structure.
    Otherwise any logical validity could be claimed by any (choice of) understanding ("I choose to read your declaration of disarmament as an initiation of covert hostility, therefore it is entirely logical to bomb you into oblivion").
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  10. I fail to understand what our discussion is all about. All I wanted to say is that we cannot make definit claims about things like "materialism / Cartesianism", God's existence or non-existence, the body-soul-problem and what not.

I perfectly agree that the existence of a personal creator god is highly improbable. I don't believe in such an entity.

From the standpoint of logic the statements

I believe that God exists. and
    I believe that God does not exist.

are equal in every aspect and I am sorry but I am backed here by the near interity of the philosophical tradition.
    This is a formal analysis and the metaphysical debate doesn't enter it at all. This is relevant because since we cannot have certain knowledge we have to make a decision in what we choose to / want to / have to / are able to / believe in.

And this also means that if people believe in the Mosaic God you might disagree with them on the basis of exelent arguments. Still you can't proof them wrong.

Whether you consider it sesible to believe in something as highly improbable as a personal creator god is a different matter alltogether.

I am opposed though to pseudo-enligtened crusaders who consider themselves as beeing "Bright" (and everybody else dumb) and who declare religion to be "The Root of all Evil". In their missionary zeal they remind me of atheist evangelicals.

All I ask for is: Live and let live.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2013 edited
    From the standpoint of logic "God exists", "Trees exist", "The Moon is made of cheese" are all equal, because they are all logically possible propositions (i.e. propositions without logical contradictions); logic in and of itself has nothing to do with what is true or not. To find out what things to believe, you have to analyze which propositions are more likely to be true, and which are less likely to be true, by actually looking at the real world and then applying logic to your findings.

It's true that there is no proof for or against God's existance, but there is plenty of evidence to evaluate. We can examine the reliability of the texts and the cultures where the claims for the god in question originated; we can look at claims of miracles; we can point to the many contradicting god concepts throughout history and even now among believers who adhere to the same religion; we can examine ancient cultures and see how their religious beliefs influenced each other (for instance it's probably no coincidence that the egyptian sun god Ra was as obsessed with foreskins as Yahweh later turned out to be) and how religious beliefs have changed over time; we can address the problem that an omnipresent, omnipotent entity doesn't seem to manifest itself in the world in any testable way; we can look at how well the world fits with its claimed creator as commonly defined (the problem of evil for instance); the psychology behind believing; the biases among believers; the countless failures of faith as a method of discovering truth; the fact that strong emotions tend to distort people's view of reality; Lastly, we can examine the stories that people tell about their experiences with God.

After all this, we'll have both positive and negative evidence for the existance of God, and we can then individually try to determine what the most likely proposition concerning God's existence is. If one considers the likelihood for God's existence to be high, one will be a theist, if low one will be a so-called strong atheist, and if one thinks the evidence is inconclusive one will withhold judgement and be a so-called weak atheist, i.e. a person who doesn't believe either way.

Peter smile
  11. plindboe wrote
    From the standpoint of logic [...] way.

Peter smile

Agreed!
    Shall we have a beer now?

Volker biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I could sure use one after all that writing.

Peter biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    I fail to understand what our discussion is all about. All I wanted to say is that we cannot make definit claims about things like "materialism / Cartesianism", God's existence or non-existence, the body-soul-problem and what not.

I perfectly agree that the existence of a personal creator god is highly improbable. I don't believe in such an entity.

From the standpoint of logic the statements

I believe that God exists. and
    I believe that God does not exist.

are equal in every aspect

I think this is where we are getting our wires crossed since I agree they are equally opposite statements to make in terms of their language and logic. But to repeat, my point is about how likely each claim represents reality. And just to make sure I'm not misunderstood: I do not hold either belief dogmatically with 100% certainty. I would add a third line; [I believe that] God's existence is highly unlikely. (Therefor, logically, I do not believe in God.)

but I am backed here by the near interity of the philosophical tradition

Ad Verecundiam? wink

This is a formal analysis and the metaphysical debate doesn't enter it at all. This is relevant because since we cannot have certain knowledge we have to make a decision in what we choose to / want to / have to / are able to / believe in.

I've admitted a few times now we cannot have absolute knowledge! I just said that in order to evaluate which "thesis" is more likely to represent reality (whatever that may be), one is required to consider their probabilities using what evidence and reasoning is available in assessing each claim. I freely admitted that we indeed can't have absolute knowledge, not only on the God issue, but on anything! (Aside from, I believe, mathematics.) So I'm not sure what you're arguing against? smile

And this also means that if people believe in the Mosaic God you might disagree with them on the basis of exelent arguments. Still you can't proof them wrong.

Again, I never said I could. All I'm saying, and all I've ever said, is that certain claims are less likely than other claims. (Some so unlikely that to worry about their validity is to venture into impractical waters.)

Whether you consider it sesible to believe in something as highly improbable as a personal creator god is a different matter alltogether.

Depends what we've each been arguing, which to be honest seems to be getting a little lost in translation. dizzy

I am opposed though to pseudo-enligtened crusaders who consider themselves as beeing "Bright" (and everybody else dumb) and who declare religion to be "The Root of all Evil". In their missionary zeal they remind me of atheist evangelicals.

Is anyone here like that? I don't think so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There's certainly a merry-go-round tradition to this thread. dizzy (Wrong end of the stick syndrome?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Captain Future wrote

Indeed, the term "brights" wasn't very bright. But it's been an unpopular movement from the start. I've never actually seen anyone apply that label to themself.

Btw, concerning "The Root of all Evil", I assume you are talking about the Dawkins documentary. Here's a little info from Wikipedia you might not have been aware of:

Dawkins has said that the title The Root of All Evil? was not his preferred choice, but that Channel 4 had insisted on it to create controversy.[1] The sole concession from the producers on the title was the addition of the question mark. Dawkins has stated that the notion of anything being the root of all evil is ridiculous.

I've never actually seen anyone declare that religion is the root of all evil, and I've been on several forums where religion is discussed.

I don't know where you meet these people, but I'd like to try out some of the stuff they're smoking.

Peter smile
  12. plindboe wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Indeed, the term "brights" wasn't very bright. But it's been an unpopular movement from the start. I've never actually seen anyone apply that label to themself.

Btw, concerning "The Root of all Evil", I assume you are talking about the Dawkins documentary. Here's a little info from Wikipedia you might not have been aware of:

Dawkins has said that the title The Root of All Evil? was not his preferred choice, but that Channel 4 had insisted on it to create controversy.[1] The sole concession from the producers on the title was the addition of the question mark. Dawkins has stated that the notion of anything being the root of all evil is ridiculous.

I've never actually seen anyone declare that religion is the root of all evil, and I've been on several forums where religion is discussed.

I don't know where you meet these people, but I'd like to try out some of the stuff they're smoking.

Peter smile

No, I did not know that detail about "Root of all Evil", thanks for that bit! I makes me like RD a bit more again.

Also, of course I didn't want to identify everybody here with that "Brights" movement. That piece of rant was directed at that "movement" alone.

So, now that all is said and done I think I rest my case. Also I have finished my administrative end-of-semester-work, all marks are filed away for the certificates.
    I'd like you all to beam here and get real drunk.

beer
    Volker smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    beer
  13. Just out of curiosity, and I know there's enough discussions floating through one thread here, but is there anyone here who falls firmly into the sceptic's camp who is able to enjoy religious texts on a poetic level? Of course we're limited by language to appreciate these things only through translation, but nonetheless many still do. I'd be interested in examples from the 'yes' camp (devastating deconstructions from the 'no' also if they feel inclined to explain their disinterest).
  14. While I am a believing Christian (though seeking to get some of his faith back, let's say the problems are more with the world than with God himself and no, don't analyze that logically, I'll explain that later, when I'll be able to put my issues in the right way, I will say that my problem isn't faith itself or religion as a principle, but religion as a system of rituals and as a social system; there is also a huge rhetorical issue), I would say that having gone through one and a half of a Quran sura, I would say that it's more beautifully written than anything in the Bible. Poetry at its best.