• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2013
    FATHER JACK HACKETT for Pope! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Make Morricone pope and I'll be off to church for wine and crackers within seconds.

Peter winewave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Make Morricone pope and I'll be off to church for wine and crackers within seconds.

Peter winewave

Peter, you and James already worship at the church of Morricone.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thou speaketh the truth.

Peter smile
  1. International Perspectives on Theism (Study)

http://www.norc.org/NewsEventsPublicati … heism.aspx

This is interesting.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2013
    ...but not particularly surprising. smile
    I think it's been thus for the last forty years or so?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. No, not really surprising.

In case of Poland it can't be stressed enough that the Church played a large role in resisting the Communist government. It's still very well remembered.

There is a crisis in Polish views of the church, because the church has been largely responsible for large blunders in terms of PR and the fact that it tries to make a huge influence on our politics, bigger than in any country, I think (not even America!) One particular group, oriented around a radio station which is seen as not just radical, practically lunatic by most of society and not just atheist at that (a lot, a huge lot of Catholic believers are completely against their views), is particularly responsible for the more and more prevailing negative view of Catholicism in the country. The fact that the hierarchy can't deal with them properly (as demanded by both politicians from almost every side of the spectrum, even center right, and the general community) impaired the general view of the Church quite heavily.

To give you a glimpse of how the station behaves, this is an authentic phone call to the station:

"Radio Maryja, hello?" [Maryja is Polish version of Mother Mary, which the radio took its moniker from]
    "I'd like to protest against how you perceive the Jewish community in your broadcasts."
    "Oh, well, I don't think we have any problems with the Jewish community."
    "Well, I am Jewish."
    "I'm so sorry." [hangs up]
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2013
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2013 edited
    Perhaps this you might find interesting, especially Steven
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree … lim-animus

A long overdue debate breaks out about whether rational atheism is being used as a cover for Islamophobia and US militarism

Not sure what to think but I think it's overstated. They've all been commenting hard on Christianity too.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2013
    Yes, I read this today on Harris's own website. I think "Misunderstood Atheist" could become a new meme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2013
    For my friend, Steven.

http://9gag.com/gag/6992271
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's been floating around the Interwebz for as long as this quote:

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    The most fucked up thing you will ever read. I warn you, don't read it....

Ok, read it, but don't say I didn't warn you!!

Peter shockedvomitangryconfusedcrazy
  3. Heiliger Strohsack! Disgusting!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, what can you say? They like to suck dicks!
  4. That was a bit too far, D.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Seems pretty accurate to me.
  5. Demetris wrote
    Well, what can you say? They like to suck dicks!

Says someone coming from Greece. devil
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    It wouldn't surprise me if pedophilic tendencies has played a part in establishing this sickening tradition, similar to how practically all cult leaders "coincidentally" get the idea that God wants them to have many wives and lots of sex.

The problem is that just about everything can be excused with religion. Religion is widely used by its practitioners as a label of goodness and purity, so undue trust is given to people who carry the same label, especially when it comes to religious authorities. Here we have people who molest and endanger babies by literally putting baby penises in their mouths and sucking them clean (made me sick to my stomach just writing this sentence) and it's seen as okay because they're religious authorities.

It's the same thought mechanisms that bear a big part of the blame for the global pedophilic church scandals; religious authorities with unwarranted trust doing as they please, and frequently being protected by their own flocks and leaders even when the truth is out, because "surely a man of God can't do something as horrific as that".

Peter slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2013
    Steven wrote
    Seems pretty accurate to me.

Exactly, anyone who reads the article, is what they get out of it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2013 edited
    @Peter I'm sure at this point it goes without saying I agree.

This is why it's important to have this on going, open, critical discussion about religion. Screw who might get offended, if beliefs (and by extension, practices) are buttfucking retarded, guess what's going to happen? Buttfucking retardedness.

I guess it's very simple for me: It's not that I'm inherently against religion, I'm inherently against faith. (There are aspects to religion I rather like, believe it or not.) Believing anything on insufficient evidence, faulty logic or pure emotion is generally a recipe for disaster.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Really? I have no problem with faith at all, as long as it doesn't dictate anything.
    I myself have great faith in a great many things (the inherent good will in man, scientific progress being for the good of mankind, curiosity and drive overcoming destruction and mistrust, et cetera). But as soon as any type of faith (i.e. any person or group adhering to that faith) starts acting against its very nature and definition and starts (re)defining reality monolithically and without room for additional or ulterior thought, and thus becomes religious in nature, I will be the first on the barricades.

It's religion that my beef is with.
    (Even though there are some aspects to religious rituals I quite like!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2013 edited
    But that kind of faith is based on good reasoning and evidence, and a faith I share! My beef is with religious faith. Faith™. Bullshit. (But extends to anything believed on insufficient evidence. Religious faith just happens to take the number one spot for belief in bullshit.)

I rather like this. Although I can see this being taken at face value and accused of hypocrisy...
  6. Steven, your reasoning has a huge fallacy...

If it's based on reasoning on evidence it's not faith, it's knowledge. Belief is not cognitive at all. It's an emotional thing (I believe that my dog thought of me when he was dying or something like that), not in any way related to cognition.

Whether one has the mind structure that picks belief over rational cognition (cognitive dissonance and all that)... is something completely else. Faith in and of itself is not a replacement of any kind of knowledge.
  7. And yet even knowledge is not without belief:

- You believe in there being a world out there.
    - You believe that your mind gives you a fairly good representation of what's out there.
    - You believe that when you think "I" you are refering to something substancial.
    - You believe in the validity of induction.
    - You believe in free will or logic determination.

Nobody escapes the homo philosophicus. It's all just a game of words.
  8. Yeah, I would liken faith/belief to a set of assumptions, based on which you can be drawn to logical conclusions.

Whether that leads to cognitive dissonance, that's another thing. Knowing that faith defies human logic, due to its rather emotional roots (which shouldn't be that scoffed, I think), something that disagrees with some of our most metaphysical thoughts (and whether we are atheists, theists, agnostics, physicists, whatever we CAN'T escape a metaphysical system of our own), definitely gives a hint why that happens.
  9. PawelStroinski wrote
    Yeah, I would liken faith/belief to a set of assumptions, based on which you can be drawn to logical conclusions.

Whether that leads to cognitive dissonance, that's another thing. Knowing that faith defies human logic, due to its rather emotional roots (which shouldn't be that scoffed, I think), something that disagrees with some of our most metaphysical thoughts (and whether we are atheists, theists, agnostics, physicists, whatever we CAN'T escape a metaphysical system of our own), definitely gives a hint why that happens.

yeah

(We could be Majikthise and Vroomfondel in next year's carnival. But who would be suitable as Deep Thought?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    If you hadn't beaten me to it, I would have madethat exact same comparison, Captain.
    V. -"That is a solid fact! What we demand is solid facts!"
    M. -"No we don't! That is precisely what we don't demand!"
    V. -"We don't demand solid facts! What we demand is a total absence of solid facts.

...I swear philosophers should be the first against the wall when the revolution comes. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2013 edited
    I guess we all use different definitions of these words. Of course no one is right, because the true meaning of words has to do with how people use them. One can say the word "cow" and mean "blue". It's not wrong to use it like that, it's just stupid, because you'll end up confusing people when you tell them that "the sky is cow". After all, the purpose of words is to communicate. The best method if you want to be understood is to first of all try to use words as they are most commonly used, and secondly (but also important) to try to keep agendas out of definitions and to have useful and specific definitions that doesn't muddy the language. The definitions I use are:

Belief: A conviction that may or may not be supported by evidence.
    Faith: A type of belief not supported by evidence.
    Knowledge: A belief held with 100% certainty as being true.

Worth pointing out though that there's no true knowledge about the world around us. We can have true knowledge concerning things like 2 + 2 = 4 because that is how the numbers are defined to work, but nothing outside of ourselves. So using my definitions I can say that I have evidence-based beliefs that the Sun will rise tomorrow, that my mother loves me and that scientific progress is for the good of mankind; I have faith in nothing; I know that 2 + 2 = 4.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2013 edited
    I was going to write something in reply to Pawel, but that pretty much sums it up right there.

With that in mind, it's not me who's guilty of the fallacy. wink (In fact, I'm well aware religious faith is primarily based on emotion. That's kinda the problem.)