• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2013
    I've always been fond of 1 Corinthians 13. A pastor once used it at a funeral and I found it beautiful, emotional and a positive message.

Peter love
  1. The Hymn to Love? That's pure beauty as well. Some of Job is also brilliant on a literary level.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Just out of curiosity, and I know there's enough discussions floating through one thread here, but is there anyone here who falls firmly into the sceptic's camp who is able to enjoy religious texts on a poetic level? Of course we're limited by language to appreciate these things only through translation, but nonetheless many still do. I'd be interested in examples from the 'yes' camp (devastating deconstructions from the 'no' also if they feel inclined to explain their disinterest).

Yep! I adore quite a lot of religious imagery in fact - music, architecture and yes, the texts. I seem to recall there are some genuinely good pieces of advice in the Bible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd be interested to here your favourites!
  2. Architecture: Cologne Cathedral
    http://www.koelner-dom.de/index.php?id=2&L=1

Classical music: Gustav Mahler - Symphonie Nr. 2 Auferstehung (Resurrection)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A0bSgxoXxM

Film music: Quo Vadis: Finale & Chorus - Mikloz Rozsa

Text: The Great Comission (Missionsbefehl):
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se … ersion=KJV

Text: Psalms 23

Text: The Sermon on the Mount

Art: The windows Marc Chagall created for St. Stephan in Mainz
    http://www.google.de/search?q=Mainz+St. … mp;bih=917

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2013
    plindboe wrote
    logic in and of itself has nothing to do with what is true or not.

Only when applied to philosophy. Mathematical logic should aleays render a true/false statement: it serves to verify the validity of the entire proposition, rather than "merely" the conclusion, of course.
    It may be obvious, but I think it's an important distinction to make.

Additionally (if rather obvious and possibly redundant) I would state that while I agree with your statement, logic as a tool is of course essential rendering the proper conclusion, even though the very issue of truth in a philosophical statement addresses the premise.

That said, I'm sorry to see the sabers being de-rattled and the knives being dulled. sad
    Pretty much all relevant points have already been made/addressed and anything I'd add would be redundant.
    Which is a shame as I do so enjoy reading my own posts! wink

franz_conrad wrote
    Just out of curiosity, and I know there's enough discussions floating through one thread here, but is there anyone here who falls firmly into the sceptic's camp who is able to enjoy religious texts on a poetic level?

Hmmm, depends on what you mean by "religious texts"?
    There are some texts by deeply religious people that I find very moving (e.g. some of the poems of Omar Khayyam), but most of the texts of the "great sources" (i.e. the Koran, the Bible, the Talmud, The Egyptian Book Of The Dead, etc. etc.) are so fraught with childish, simplistic sentiment (not to mention truly horrid errors -intentional or no- in translation over the centuries) that, when divorced from any kind of strong emotional setting (a film, a piece of music, a painting), I find them rather more silly than moving.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Martijn wrote

That said, I'm sorry to see the sabers being de-rattled and the knives being dulled. sad
    Pretty much all relevant points have already been made/addressed and anything I'd add would be redundant.
    Which is a shame as I do so enjoy reading my own posts! wink

And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks.

Micah 4,3 KJV

angelic

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2013
    applause
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. There is one subject regarding religion that never seems to be taken up in this thread and I think it would be a nice food for thought for both atheists and theists, but the general problem is that the theists seem to be either ignorant of or ignore the problem whatsoever. I think it's much more dangerous when ignored and more relevant than any discussion between science and religion, which I actually find quite dull and completely irrelevant for regular lives of today. Whether a person is an evolutionist or a creationist doesn't change the fact whether he is a good person or not. Technically the other problem I want to mention doesn't as well, but I think it influences our lives way more than whatever is to be discussed about mostly a science and religion debacle...

The problem is responsibility.

Let's go back to what I said about Nietzsche's points and expand on it. It's a very relevant moment in the history of modern thought, in fact, in a way also post-modern. "God is dead". Let's consider what that means. It means that modern man (let's say human) has lost their reference point. Now we are without a reference point, we have to perceive the world our own way. This gives a lot of freedom to humanity, losing that reference point and also a kind of shackles that people were in when they were bound to religious dogmas and they stuck to it. But freedom also means something that makes this notion very, very scary.

Humanity being on its own is a really powerful point. Nietzsche tries to fight the pessimism of his contemporaries by believing in the strength of humanity. This was a largely maligned and/or ridiculed point Nietzsche made. Maligned, because the Nazis completely misunderstood the concept of Übermensch (partly due to the fact that his last text, as "Will to Power" were published by his rather nationalist sister after the philosopher died), ridiculed, because Nietzsche for a long time wasn't taken really seriously as a philosopher (probably because of his biography and because of his rather poetic style), two 20th Century philosophers that led to a turning point were Martin Heidegger and Gilles Deleuze, I've yet have to read both those interpretations and read some more of Nietzsche himself, but let's get back to the point.

Ultimate freedom comes at the price of humanity being left completely alone and the ultimate responsibility. Lack of a metaphysical sense of the reference point might obviously lead to people being allowed to do whatever they want (and John Paul II, himself a very respected philosopher, before he became the Pope, tried to make this point in his Memory and Identity), but in this way the world hasn't changed for the better and worse of it (genocide was taken to a new level, but not because pre-Nietzschean man would find it unthinkable, but because simply technology allowed that and acts of ultimate compassion still happen no matter the religious beliefs of the people at hand). Philosophy tries to work around this lack of reference to more or less success (mostly more), but I sense a problem, I think, that may happen more often than we want to.

My personal stance is that once you aware of Nietzsche's argumentation about the death of God and his anti-religion opinion, you can't really shy away from it. It gets regularly rejected though (or people are mostly ignorant about it, which is really the case). The problem is that we live in this world. Here and now. That's what we have at this point. Whatever happens in the afterlife (or (or doesn't, if you're an atheist) is something completely else. But we are alive, whatever that means. We have to deal with reality at hand. The problem with some religious people (not all of them, luckily) is worse than God in the gaps, it's God as a safe haven. God is NOT the answer to all questions and I don't think even the Bible states that anywhere.

This is an issue I am dealing right now with, mostly on a philosophical level. I am a theist, but I see that the approach of God-as-a-safe-haven may be pretty dangerous when it comes to live regular life. Science and religion? OK, I see them as a dialectic, with science appealing to reason and faith appealing to emotions (which science with its logical method can't handle sometimes or even very often and why should it). But the answers of how to live our lives with God being somewhere there... Well, this is something that demands a reinvention of religion and if religion keeps to the idea of becoming more and more radically conservative, then it will lose. In my case I won't stop being a Christian, I will just reject the systematic and social element of religious faith and keep it to a deeply personal and emotional level. Just between me and Him.

I think the issue is that every human being is responsible for their earthly existence. This is where I deeply agree with religious thought. When I pray I rarely ask for anything, I just pray for good things to happen to my friends and I thank for whatever good happened to me. But I am trying to find a way what responsibility really means in this world and I accept it that this is an answer I have to find on my own and God is not to blame for anything I do wrong. The world is just not that simple.
  5. Martijn wrote

Hmmm, depends on what you mean by "religious texts"?
    There are some texts by deeply religious people that I find very moving (e.g. some of the poems of Omar Khayyam), but most of the texts of the "great sources" (i.e. the Koran, the Bible, the Talmud, The Egyptian Book Of The Dead, etc. etc.) are so fraught with childish, simplistic sentiment (not to mention truly horrid errors -intentional or no- in translation over the centuries) that, when divorced from any kind of strong emotional setting (a film, a piece of music, a painting), I find them rather more silly than moving.

Well yes, I guess we can do that too.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. Well, Kant says that the existence of God is a “necessary assumption” for practical ethics. Thus we can assume the “Reich der Zwecke” (Realm of Purposes?) to be humanity’s goal set by God himself. This way we can explain why acting according to reason (e.g. the moral law / Categorical Imperative) means to act in a good way. Abiding by that self-given law is the difference between good and evil.
    Kant points out at the same time that this “moral assumption” is in no way a logical proof of the actual existence of God.

This have been a points of much debate among Kantianians ever since. I agree with those who say that Kant’s system working in itself and thus does not require an external anchor.

Kant also says that leading a philosophical life governed by reason and in abidance to the moral law is reserved for the learned few. The masses lack the mental abilities to lead such a life. For those people the church remains a practical necessity, a source of reassurance, of solace and moral guidance. Very clearly from that point of view the church isn’t much more than a theatre. (Indeed Friedrich Schiller believes that the theatre may be a moral guide as capable – if not even more so – than the church.)

One final remark on Nietzsche:
    “God is dead” is not a metaphysical observation. Nietzsche rather states that God has lost all meaning for thinking people. His “Übermensch” has (almost) nothing in common with the “Herrenmensch” of Nazi-ideology. Nietzsche does depict the Übermensch as being mentally and physically superior but he does not link that back to some idea of human races.
  7. Yeah, that was a huge misunderstanding on the Nazi part, I've heard that they really loved Wagner and Nietzsche, but I guess they wouldn't love them back biggrin

So it seems that the Kantian system uses the concept of God as a sort of referential point, just like Descartes. The weakness of the "benign [aka non-lying] God" in the Cartesian system is acknowledged even by religious philosophers such as Paul Ricoeur.

The moment of God-as-a-safe-haven is not really about giving a moral compass, it's just about praying to Him whenever we have a problem and thinking that just a prayer can solve everything. No, it can't.

The point is that the life of everyday, what Heidegger would call "in-der-Welt-sein" is what we have to deal with (he actually has the concept of the Alltäglichkeit des Daseins) each and single day of our lives. Whether God exists or not, let's leave the theist and atheist assumptions out of it, in everyday life we are pretty much alone in our everyday lives. We can't just leave everything to God and hope it'll be OK. There might be more people thinking that way than we want to think there are.

That's what I stated actually about Nietzsche, it's not about the metaphysics it's about what life is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2013
    The whole thing about practical ethics is that Kant really ignores the need of the self.
    In a nutshell he states that a happy and fulfilling life can only be found through rigidly adhering to a moral code: you need to be "worthy" of happiness. Which of course is very much missing the essence of the need for selffulfillment and personal interest, which I think goes directly to the heart of Pawel's dilemma of responsibility.

If you accept,a s Pawel seems to do, that responsibility for your actions is NOT something that can be laid at the foot of an almighty supreme being or overarching structure such as a church or society, then I would suggest that Mill or Bentham are the more proper philosophers to find meaning, in the sense that they take a more Aristotelean view in that personal interest is a perfectly proper thing to include in any ethical decision making process: "what does it do for ME"?
  8. Utilitarianism? The idea of actually basically counting the usefulness of the deed in an almost mathematical way is somehow off-turning for me. I am taking into account the Nietzschean realization of what world is and the hermeneutic principles of Ricoeur, who combines Kant and Aristotle in one, leading to an idea of self-respect demanded to live ethically. It's not just adhering to a certain moral code, it's also the Aristotelean concept of friendship (philia, but also self-love - philautia) and the concept of the reasonable man (the phronimos).

To me hermeneutic philosophy is also interesting, because it seems to ask both how I influence the world and how the world influences me. What speaks of me is the sense of dialectics, trying to combine multiple points of view into one, even if not systematic, thought.

I have also touched upon some philosophical anthropology. That said, my history of philosophy is very rusty. I do intend to read some Kant in the future (The Critique of Pure Reason and The Critique of Judgment are works that I just HAVE to read) and I want to push back to Husserl (through The Cartesian Meditations) as soon as possible, if only to see what shaped the likes of Heidegger and the modern hermeneutics, which came out of phenomenological thought.

My life philosophy is becoming more and more clear recently and I am glad that I can discuss it on this forum, because there is nowhere I can discuss it, if only because nobody I know is reading what I am reading...
  9. Martijn wrote
    The whole thing about practical ethics is that Kant really ignores the need of the self.
    In a nutshell he states that a happy and fulfilling life can only be found through rigidly adhering to a moral code: you need to be "worthy" of happiness. Which of course is very much missing the essence of the need for selffulfillment and personal interest, which I think goes directly to the heart of Pawel's dilemma of responsibility.

If you accept,a s Pawel seems to do, that responsibility for your actions is NOT something that can be laid at the foot of an almighty supreme being or overarching structure such as a church or society, then I would suggest that Mill or Bentham are the more proper philosophers to find meaning, in the sense that they take a more Aristotelean view in that personal interest is a perfectly proper thing to include in any ethical decision making process: "what does it do for ME"?

Yes, I do accept the fact that responsibility for one's action is laid at the foot of the individual and nobody else, there are the Ten Commandments and there are the two Love Commandments also called the Golden Rule, which have to be taken into account (they are also perfectly accepted by secularists, so I am not being a religious nutcase by thinking of adhering to them as consequently as I can). The moment of human loneliness is the moment when we are faced with the consequences of our actions which are only our own, as much as the decision-making process also belongs to the individual. No amount of social skills (barely any in my case; I can admit on this forum that some friends see at least traces of Asperger's syndrome in me) or relationships help out here. This is where we are completely alone. So, as a theist, I am not running to church with every decision I can make, though I can ask God (there is no reason not to in case of theism) not for making the decision *for* me (that's not and never was His job in the first place!), but for clarity in moments when I am in need for clarity. But the decision and the consequences of the decision are mine and only mine.

Responsibility is something we learn on an everyday basis and I am torn between being insanely childish (or child-like) and giving the responsibility to my parents and being a proper 28-year-old adult that I am supposed to be at this time. Responsibility is scary, making decisions is scary, so it makes the, as we say it in Polish, umbilical cord (spelling?) very hard to cut off completely. I have an instinct of running away from responsibility, but that leads to more frustration than anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Utilitarianism? The idea of actually basically counting the usefulness of the deed in an almost mathematical way is somehow off-turning for me.

Is it?
    Why?
    I find it immensely useful as far as a pragmatic approach to ethics is concerned!
    Not that I carry a little pocket calculator every time I need to make a decision, of course, but I find the mindset very rewarding and workable in day-to-day life. Which is pretty much what pragmatic ethics should be all about, I think!

The further question of the need to accept (combined with the fear of) responsibility seems much more a psychological and emotional point though than a philosophical one, and -without in any way trying to judge; it's an honest thought- I cannot help but wonder if maybe you try and in a way avoid touching on these issues directly by trying to wean answers out of philosophy on a purely intellectual level?
  10. Yeah, probably so. I also try to understand what's going on around me and I haven't found anything else that does it so well, as the philosophers I like.
  11. PawelStroinski wrote
    Utilitarianism? The idea of actually basically counting the usefulness of the deed in an almost mathematical way is somehow off-turning for me.

I am sooo with you Pawel! The Hedonistic Calculus is a purely mathematical way to determine the ethical value of a deed. I find that repellant. Utilitarianism is something that works well in harmless every day situations. Apply in situations of essential relevance and you will see where this will lead you. (Or you might just read Singer: Practical Ethics. That book is giving me nightmares.)

Keep in mind: Bentham thought that human rights and human dignity are romantic inventions. Arrggh!
  12. Actually human dignity was a Renaissance concept biggrin
  13. ... that roots in the (Roman) Stoic idea of "humanitas".

biggrin

This thread has turned into a pilosophic symposion. Where is the wine? drink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2013 edited
    This* is a rather nice video explaining what atheism really is. Although, clearly, some of the more extreme claims (which are true) in this video don't apply to anyone here, atheists or theists alike, some of the more 'subtle' misconceptions certainly do apply to this thread. (I vote this thread be renamed to The Wrong End Of The Stick Thread.)

*Could do with a Carl Sagan-type voice over though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2013
    Excellent video, that I hope people who've participated in this thread will watch. QualiaSoup is one of my favourite youtubers.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2013 edited
    Thanks for posting that, do you also happen to have one that explains being a vegetarian? I would place these on my cell phone and play them when I get asked about either topic. biggrin

Placed the link in my 'religious beliefs' section in facebook wink
  14. Hi Steven! wave

I'm quite at leasure. What would you like to discuss?

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2013 edited
    The POPE is resigning, I wonder who'll replace him?

TOP CANDIDATE FOR NEW POPE REVEALED
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2013
    Apparently the inquiry into the Jimmy Saville scandal is reaching new, though not wholly unexpected, heights.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Apparently the inquiry into the Jimmy Saville scandal is reaching new, though not wholly unexpected, heights.

What now? Can you point me in the right direction.

EDIT: Oh, I see where you're going.

I'm a bit slow today
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

No, that was the last bloke.
    The proper new candidate has been working towards this job for a while now...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

No, that was the last bloke.
    The proper new candidate has been working towards this job for a while now...

A red blooded wolf not into young choir boys? Hardly a prime candidate methinks but he'd sure liven up the papacy.