• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2010 edited
    Amazing that as our new government is looking to cut funding to schools and hospitals, it is paying £10m towards the Pope's upcoming visit to the UK.

face-palm-mt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2010
    LSH wrote
    Amazing that as our new government is looking to cut funding to schools and hospitals, it is paying £10m towards the Pope's upcoming visit to the UK.

face-palm-mt

Don't worry, this things are like universal constants: two weeks ago Barcelona's city council spent 3 million euros in an advertising campaign to hold a referendum about the redesign of one of the most important areas of the city. The referendum was an epic fail by the way.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    LSH wrote

face-palm-mt

I would say that someone should do the world a favour and shoot him, but it would just turn him into a martyr. Prick.

Oh, and Sam Harris recently pointed this out:

The Vatican excommunicates WOMEN WHO WANT TO BE PRIESTS:
    http://bit.ly/bRksbt . But not MEN WHO RAPE CHILDREN. Am I dreaming?

angry angry angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2010 edited
    Marselus wrote
    LSH wrote

face-palm-mt

Don't worry, this things are like universal constants: two weeks ago Barcelona's city council spent 3 million euros in an advertising campaign to hold a referendum about the redesign of one of the most important areas of the city. The referendum was an epic fail by the way.

And yet Spain is in the verge of getting the financial disaster Greece did a couple of weeks back. I see the idiotic disease is not limited to Greece. hm...
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    LSH wrote

face-palm-mt

I would say that someone should do the world a favour and shoot him, but it would just turn him into a martyr. Prick.

Oh, and Sam Harris recently pointed this out:

The Vatican excommunicates WOMEN WHO WANT TO BE PRIESTS:
    http://bit.ly/bRksbt . But not MEN WHO RAPE CHILDREN. Am I dreaming?

angry angry angry

It makes me laugh, I have to laugh otherwise I'd start crying and never stop.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I just get increasingly frustrated. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    LSH wrote

face-palm-mt

And yet Spain is in the verge of getting the financial disaster Greece did a couple of weeks back. I see the idiotic disease is not limited to Greece. hm...

Indeed.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Steven wrote
    LSH wrote

face-palm-mt

Steven, Sunil was banned when he said something about James Horner and cancer. Now you wish the pope to die by bullet. I mean, in my view the two cases are very similar...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I fail to see how gleefully wishing a terminal disease on a composer compares to wishing the annihilation of a dictator representing an ancient oppressive and at times murderous system.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    keky wrote
    Steven wrote
    LSH wrote

face-palm-mt

Steven, Sunil was banned when he said something about James Horner and cancer. Now you wish the pope to die by bullet. I mean, in my view the two cases are very similar...

Heavens no. Sunil was mentally handicapped, I'm just sick of the pope.
    Quite different indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010
    Martijn wrote
    I fail to see how gleefully wishing a terminal disease on a composer

....or in fact specific members of this forum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Keky, whilst i see where you're coming from, let me tell you this:

The world's economy is on verge. People are sick of their governments in many countries as we speak and demand justice, even via violence, i.e. see Greece for instance, more soon to follow, sadly. Such cases as the above are simply outraging and provoking people. Reactions are to be expected, logically, when you are working 9-10 hours a day for 700 friggin euros and life's getting more expensive with the day and they're still cutting that pathetic salary down whilst you have family to feed behind you, such actions as the above are at least provocative. I'd too wanted a bullet in his friggin head if i was part of this category.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I understand this. Still, I don't find it ethical to say such thing in a forum where religious people are also members. That's all.
    You can hate religion or its representatives but it can be expressed more intelligently.
    I always find it amazing how today's liberal world apply double standards in some things. You have to be very tolerant with everything and everybody (gay people, minorities, etc.) EXCEPT religious people and religion.
    I honestly wonder what remarks I would receive on the forum if I said something disrespectful about either gay people or some minorities - not that it would be my intention!
    Anyway, I think there has been some very intelligent debate in this topic about religion or atheism but comments like Steven's above doesn't belong in that category.
    So basically I just need a little respect toward those members here who happen to be religious. You are free to comment on religion in a negative way, of course, but I think you can also do it as a mature, intelligent man.
  1. I'm with Keky. Steven's comment was very uncool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am an orthodox Christian myself but what priests and the Pope do with tax payer's money has nothing to do with religion my friend.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I somewhat agree with keky as well. I'm no fan of the Pope in any way, and have expressed my problems with the catholic church in this thread, but I have enough respect for the catholic members of this forum to find it in bad taste to wish a man they love and admire dead.

I wouldn't want moderator action taken though, as I realize that politically incorrect comments are part of Steven's charm, and they shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Peter smile

PS.Chris, I haven't forgotten our discussion. Just returned from London a few days ago, which explains the long pause. Will make a response one of the following days. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2010 edited
    <shrug>
    I have no qualms in admitting there are quite a few world leaders whose demise I would welcome.
    With the pope though it's the institute rather than the person doing the harm, so his death wouldn't solve anything, unless you happen to believe Saint Malachy's predictions regarding the finite number of popes (in which case I'd greatly support machine gunning the Vatican with some regularity. Just to get things to get a move on, so to speak).
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I agree that world leaders is a very different case (compared to the Sunil example), as their decisions do have serious consequences for alot of people. The worst Horner ever did was copy other composers' work and pretending that he wrote it. So I don't consider the cases equal.

There's a time and a place for everything though. I wouldn't rant about atheism if I sit in a church, as that would offend and hurt alot of people I know and would just be poor taste. Likewise, I think a forum dedicated to a hobby unrelated to religion, and where people come to relax, make friends and have fun, might not be the ideal place for too aggressive and (to some) hurtful expressions. A forum dedicated solely to discussing religion, and to free speech and open debate is the kind of place where people come to disagree and expect to occasionally feel offended, and such a comment would fit in well there.

Of course we all have different ideas about what is appropriate or not, and it's not for me to dictate where the line should be. Either way I don't feel too strongly about it, just wanted to add a few thoughts.

Peter smile
  2. Good thoughts, Peter. I'm having a hard time figuring out why religious people might be more offended than others at the thought of regularly machine-gunning the vatican. Killing people because of their religion? Wow. I know Steven and Martijn wouldn't actually do that, but just flippantly talking about religiously motivated murder is really jarring to me, and I'd hope that it would be even if I weren't religious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010 edited
    Religiously motivated murder is murder committed from a religious point of view, i.e. because you hold something or someone accountable for either not adhering strictly to or -contrarily- contravening One Revealed Truth.

It's as ridiculous a cause for murder as any other. Maybe more so.

My remarks are analogous to the scenarios that I would shed no tears if the likes of Mugabe or Kim Yun Il would be gunned down during a revolution. Or the Saudi royal house met with an untimely end in a plane crash.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    christopher wrote
    I'm with Keky. Steven's comment was very uncool.

Even though I don't actually want to shoot the pope nor would I if I had the power to order his murder, I'm not sorry for the remark. Not in the least. I'm sick of the pope and I'm sick of the vatican.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    ^
    Couldn't agree more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2010 edited
    keky wrote

I always find it amazing how today's liberal world apply double standards in some things. You have to be very tolerant with everything and everybody (gay people, minorities, etc.) EXCEPT religious people and religion.
    I honestly wonder what remarks I would receive on the forum if I said something disrespectful about either gay people or some minorities - not that it would be my intention!

Being gay doesn't mean you necessarily belong to an organisation or institute like religion, and isn't something that necessarily harms anyone, anything or that comes with outdated beliefs. It's just a sexual preference, and is for the most part a private affair. So the comparison is a little misleading. Religion is something that can harm, and therefore is more succumb to and deserving of criticism - and is certainly not a private affair. Religious beliefs are no more private than actions since beliefs effect actions. Religious individuals should no more be discriminated than the rest of us, that much is true.

(And at over a billion followers, I don't think Catholicism is a particularly small minority.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010
    Chris,

I'm rather busy these days, as I have to hand in my bachelorproject report in a months time, so I won't write a reply to your Apr 23rd post as I had planned. Being a bit of a perfectionist, my reply would probably end up very lengthy, and that's a bit more work than I can handle these days. I enjoyed our enlightening discussion though. Some day when I'm less stressed, I might author a reply to the post, or we can discuss something new.

Peter smile
  3. Sounds fine. I'm working on a final project for my degree, too! Hope you're is going better than mine...

Chris
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2010
    Ah. smile Thanks and good luck with your project too.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2010 edited
    Just finished The God Delusion, after reading so much about it here and feeling left out, as I have a more don't-care-about-religion-because-it's-rather-silly opinion. Now, I have evidence it IS actually stupid.

I read the book in two weeks, a fascinating read! The first 5 chapters are very convincing. It was the first time I saw evolution through natural selection so well explained and used in context I'd never thought of. The fact that altruism is part of evolution through natural selection is the greatest point and proves that humans are good creatures (in the same tribe/group/...) anyway, and that we don't need religion for that. Dawkins' theory that religion is actually also part of this natural selection, but as byproduct that does not help us, is fascinating.

Then there are a couple of chapters about the cruelty of the Bible (he chooses some selections from the Old as well as the New Testament that I never had heard before and are mind boggling. Really, what was wrong with woman in that time? dizzy ), the sick minded God, and absolutism of religion creating hate, mistreating and other acts of despair. I also didn't knew the Jewish, Christians and Muslims share the same ancestor (well, according to the books).

Dawkins also touches the point that religion might help people, give them hope and consolation. But also that he questions, and while not all backed with natural selection, it's rather unbelievable people still defend religion because of the fact that it gives all that while so many things are utterly despicable. The fact that we are good or do good things, is independent from the values of the bible. He also mentions that the moderate believer says that we only hear extreme opinions from fundamentalism, while that is actually not true.

And what I really couldn't handle (and have before) is the abuse of children through the indoctrination of religion. Abuse, not sexual (although that seems more frequent than we'd have thought), but because children are put in a mindset and situation that they cannot think free.

The last chapter about the wonders of science and how it has helped us more in the last two centuries than religion ever did, was a fine exit! I can understand why Steven is so 'passionate' about this debate. Getting rid of it will probably never happen but it would be the best outcome. smile

Oh, and what's up with Great Britain not having a separation of state and church in its constitution? shocked (or perhaps it's the same as in Belgium where it's not explicitly said, but meant)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2010
    Yep, it's an excellent book. My favourite "atheist book" is Sam Harris's The End Of Faith, but Dawkins' book was the one that started it all for me. (Much like you, I didn't really think much about religion beforehand because I knew it was silly. Now I know it's dangerously silly.)