• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2010
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Sent a friend request to you Elin and to Demetris.

Peter wave

Thanks Peter, and I accepted it gladly. Jeez, I'm really getting connected to my friends :-).

can some of you clear up how you approach the language barrier thing (that is if you are a non-English native speaker) when you ahve multilingual friends?

Elin

Yeah, I gave my two cents on that on your facebook update.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    Thanks Peter, and I accepted it gladly. Jeez, I'm really getting connected to my friends :-).

Great thanks! I'm always a bit nervous when sending friend requests because it's easy to feel rejected when people ignore me. wink (not that it happens regularly)

Skating_Lientje wrote
    can some of you clear up how you approach the language barrier thing (that is if you are a non-English native speaker) when you ahve multilingual friends?

I mostly keep it to my own language, unless I address english-speakers directly. I guess it depends on what proportion of your friends speak your language. In my case about 90% speak danish, and people like my mom wouldn't understand much if I spoke english.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2010 edited
    Elin, be natural and just be yourself. Very few are native English speakers on this board.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Skating_Lientje wrote

Elin

JORDI.

No more explanation needed smile
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yes but she talked about "solving " the problem
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The best way to solve problems is just ignore them.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Is that how Ostrich's avoid getting eaten by lions biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Just mock others with their funny languages, that'll solve it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2011 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Elin, be natural and just be yourself. Very few are native English speakers on this board.

I'm one of the only English speaking and can't speak another language. I had to take Latin in school as my language for four years.
    listen to more classical music!
  1. It's a sad fact that very few people whose first language is English know another language well enough to hold a conversation in that other language. Not many people whose first language is English know English that well!

In Scotland when I was at school I learnt more about English grammar from learning French and German.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2011
    a complicated language I'm sure
  2. Christodoulides wrote

I love this quote from Terry Pratchett's 'The Science of Discworld'

To every problem there is a neat and simple solution and it's always wrong

Just saying, I don't think there is a right answer to my question, but hey, at least I'm trying, right?

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    It's a sad fact that very few people whose first language is English know another language well enough to hold a conversation in that other language. Not many people whose first language is English know English that well!

In Scotland when I was at school I learnt more about English grammar from learning French and German.

In our country the situation is really troublesome, we have two main languages, the north side speaks dutch, the south side, french, and the capital city it's mostly french-speaking. But when people from the north come to Brussels they're practically forced to speak french, because of the people's inability there to speak another language. We from the north side tend to learn and speak foreign languages more easily. English is practically engraved in our brain from birth, what with the movies, music, internet and so on. Listening to pop music and watching American films when I was just a kid was enough to form a solid base.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2011
    Skating_Lientje wrote

Assume everyone else is a blundering chowderhead, and that whatever they say that is not congruent to your own expectations and knowledge is thunderously wrong. Assume an air of indignant superiority and do not fail to point out their obviously myriad shortcomings in communicating with you.
    Fear not the use of those most valiant and potent of styles like sarcasm, sophisms or even logical phallacies.
    The whole point is to BEND them to YOUR will.

Of course I only got one Christmas card this year...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Ah, you've been reading The Poetin Way Of Social Skills again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Just saying, I don't think there is a right answer to my question, but hey, at least I'm trying, right?

Elin

Couldn't disagree more with the Pratchett quote on problems. Most problems do have a solution as long as one is willing to do the footwork and accept the results, not always what we anticipate.
    Thomas smile
  4. sdtom wrote
    Skating_Lientje wrote

Elin

Couldn't disagree more with the Pratchett quote on problems. Most problems do have a solution as long as one is willing to do the footwork and accept the results, not always what we anticipate.
    Thomas smile

Yeah, but what is true about the quote is that people always tend to search for the easy, simple solution, and that is usually wrong. The actual truth, as you point out, is harder to find and to adher to sometimes.

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2011
    http://d3uwin5q170wpc.cloudfront.net/ph … 1_460s.jpg
    (this in regard to the new feature that Mark announced this week, but had to withdraw for a period, about selling phones and email to companies)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He's a man of the year too; have you heard about the deal he signed about his biography? how much money he'll get? Villain my ass. Plus everybody gives facebook their own data, ourselves, stupidly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yes, he had to sell rights to pay for his defence costs.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2011
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2011
    LOL ! But it's actually true ! biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"

5. haha, excellent biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Tim, what is the invite that has gone out from you about?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tim, what is the invite that has gone out from you about?

Ahhhh! I got someone else to do that in my name, my computer is really messed up and I can't access facebook, I guess this has gone to everybody far and wide.

Basically it's a call out for a big pool contest, it's in honour of my good friend Glove who died just over a year and a half ago ( you may remember as it was around Christmas time 2009 and I mentioned it here ), a friend of ours, Pete and myself have made it a yearly event, you'll see a write up on the 'Sunday, beer, whatever' thread later this week.

I hope it hasn't inconvenienced anyone.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Oh, so I guess that means I'm not really invited then? sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2011 edited
    LSH wrote
    Oh, so I guess that means I'm not really invited then? sad

You'd be more than welcome but I believe it'll be a busy night for me with no time to spend any time with you, last year was excellent ( even though I got nowhere near winning ), I think anyone who didn't know me personally ( face to face ) would feel very left out, it's very much about people who knew Glove very well.

p.s. Can anyone tell me what was written in my name??? spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    p.s. Can anyone tell me what was written in my name??? spin

It was something along the lines of "You're all twats but especially you James."