• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2008
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    NP: Interview With the Vampire - Elliot Goldenthal

Gothic Goldenthal! punk cool

Top stuff.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    God, Tyler is the probably the most self plagist composer since James Horner.

Who cares? It's hasn't reached the point where it's boring yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TUOMAS KANTELINEN - Mongol

Very captivating atmosphere, excellent orchestral performance, dark textures. I truly believe in Kantelinen; Mongol is not the score to prove his unique musical voice despite how much i like it, but the man has delivered some very impressive works to date and he's impressively differentiated from the current trends of easy, fast-food film music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CHAPLIN - John Barry

This is a lovely score but I'm not sure I'm in the mood for it? Regardless, I'll let it play until I can think of something else.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    What do think of Eagle Eye, D?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BEOWULF - Alan Silvestri

This score has been talked to death on the board already. I love it! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    What do think of Eagle Eye, D?

Absolutely loved it! After all that mayhem though i needed something more melodic and calm to chill out to, the dark score to Mongol was the right choice, onto my 2nd listen now!

EAGLE EYE is a mix of the standard rock approach to film scores by Tyler with his AVP:R mayhem , thus the more organized structure of EAGLE EYE. I liked it and a lot of parts in it reminded me of AVP:r and GOLDENTHAL.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. TUOMAS KANTELINEN - the ambush

Heartbreaking, deeply depressing string adagios that really send me drifting each time. My most personal Kantelinen experience and i don't see it changing anytime soon.

Previously played TUOMAS KANTELINEN - Arn

A gorgeously subtle and melodic, epic score, an underrated effort.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2008
    ADRIAN JOHNSTON - Brideshead Revisited

Such melody, such passion and lyrical richness, it really saddens me that Adrian Johnston - one of the most gifted european composers for sure goes SO under the radar! How could it be? Really, the man's music is very notable, he's like the Rombi of England in my books.
  1. Nautilus wrote

Tyler is the probably the most self plagist composer since James Horner.

Aren't you a Zimmer fan? Isn't that a case of the pot and the kettle? wink

Just finished E.T. I love "The Magic of Halloween," "Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye," and especially the "End Credits" (the piano at the beginning of that is really cool). Most of the rest of this score I find kind of boring slant It's vintage Williams, so I almost feel blasphemous saying so, but I have to be honest...
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    christopher wrote

Aren't you a Zimmer fan? Isn't that a case of the pot and the kettle? wink

Only if you didn't know any better.

Jordi exaggerated just a bit though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2008 edited
    christopher wrote

Just finished E.T. I love "The Magic of Halloween," "Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye," and especially the "End Credits" (the piano at the beginning of that is really cool). Most of the rest of this score I find kind of boring slant It's vintage Williams, so I almost feel blasphemous saying so, but I have to be honest...

I know what you mean, my choice of word wouldn't be boring, just subtly soft underscoring as the movie didn't need that huge Star Wars sound, however at the end we finally get the climax we've been building to during 60 minutes, which makes it all the more satisfying. I very much like that underscore though... It's Williams after all.

NP: The Sum of All Fears (Jerry Goldsmith)

Jerry on autopilot is still way better than most current film music, and the themes are first class!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. NP: A Walk with Love and Death (Delerue)

How can it be that every Delerue score at one point or another risks being called my 'favourite Delerue score'? Today, this one makes the top 5.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard - The Dark Knight

Need to check it out on my audio system now that I have my review CD at home smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote

NP: The Sum of All Fears (Jerry Goldsmith)

Jerry on autopilot is still way better than most current film music, and the themes are first class!

I know few people seem to agree but i just love that score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ..I agree.

But I imagine I don't count, I'm a Goldsmith nut. silly
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Really, the themes, the orchestration is by far superb in relation to some junk that is out lately so yeah, i agree with DreamTheater than even in AutoPilot, he is evidently much better than many others. The film wasn't bad either although i tried not to look at Benifer wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    El Cid
    Following Martijn's lead I cannot seem to stop listening to this score!!! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    NP: EAGLE EYE - Brian Tyler

Sure, the release is long and the action is very much a la Tyler, but on the plusside: this is heavy, bombastic and loud throughout, where his previous overlong releases started to wander aimlessly come the 40 min. mark. I wouldn't call this a brilliant score by a stretch (it remains his common complexer-than-usual-yet-still-easylistening style), but it's among Brian's better efforts which I'd rate above WAR.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    NP: EAGLE EYE - Brian Tyler

Sure, the release is long and the action is very much a la Tyler, but on the plusside: this is heavy, bombastic and loud throughout, where his previous overlong releases started to wander aimlessly come the 40 min. mark. I wouldn't call this a brilliant score by a stretch (it remains his common complexer-than-usual-yet-still-easylistening style), but it's among Brian's better efforts which I'd rate above WAR.

Couldn't agree more. I've been enjoying it to the max since yesterday, full power, high volume! punk

Be sure to check out the latest entry in the BRIAN TYLER thread btw (the video interview) wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Really, the themes, the orchestration is by far superb in relation to some junk that is out lately so yeah, i agree with DreamTheater than even in AutoPilot, he is evidently much better than many others. The film wasn't bad either although i tried not to look at Benifer wink

The film would have been far better had Alec Baldwin stayed with the character ( including the Harrison Ford films ).

The track The Mission is fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    NP: WALL-E - Thomas Newman

Second Listen. For me this is the third best score of 2008 (after Spiderwick and Indy 4).

The packaging is vomit
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Off goes the TV...on goes the music....

NP : STAR TREK III : THE SEARCH FOR SPOCKNESS - James Horner

biggrin cool
  4. Christodoulides wrote

Yeah, 'tis a good score.
  5. Timmer wrote
    Off goes the TV...on goes the music....

NP : STAR TREK III : THE SEARCH FOR SPOCKNESS - James Horner

biggrin cool

You sir have excellent taste in music... punk

Spot the Spock: We'll be able to do it all over again very soon!! biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Brian Tyler - Bangkok Dangerous

I actually like this score, yes, the score is a bit too long and there are some Zimmer and maybe a bit Horner influences, but pretty exciting. I love River Chase. If it reminds me of anything, it would be only Thomas Newman's score to Red Corner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Brian Tyler - Bangkok Dangerous

I actually like this score, yes, the score is a bit too long and there are some Zimmer and maybe a bit Horner influences, but pretty exciting. I love River Chase. If it reminds me of anything, it would be only Thomas Newman's score to Red Corner.

Like that too; especially the calmer, melodic parts with the eerily cool electronics, synths and piano. How do you like thosE?
  7. These are my favorites, the string writing, I would say. The main theme is pretty. Though my favorite cue in the end may be the Main Title in a long run, though I am still in my first listening.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FAREWELL TO THE KING - Basil Poledouris

Love it! cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    PawelStroinski wrote
    These are my favorites, the string writing, I would say. The main theme is pretty. Though my favorite cue in the end may be the Main Title in a long run, though I am still in my first listening.

The main title is my favourite cue. As nice as the quiet parts are, I didn't really want to hear that on a project like BD.