• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2008
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote

And NP: X-Men 3: Last Stand - John Powell

Amazing!! punk

Sure is. One of Powell's best IMO, and the full score is a slight improvement on the official album. (Though not so much that it's a necessity over of the official album.)

Booooooring. That score sends me to sleep! sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    So do you. sleep
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    So do you. sleep

wave
  1. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    So do you. sleep

wave

Too late Ant....you've sent him to sleep. wink

I'm surprised you find X-3 a boring score, I'd have thought this one pressed the right Powell buttons with you? I think it's great!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Amazing!! punk

Sure is. One of Powell's best IMO, and the full score is a slight improvement on the official album. (Though not so much that it's a necessity over of the official album.)

IMO, X3 is a only a temp track score and not a a John Powell score. Boring? Not exactly, but there's nothing to get really excited for after that first and second listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I LOVE X-Men 3. It's probably one of the best scores Powell has done. While the influences of other composers are apparently, Elfman especially, it still contains a lot of Powell trademark that we have come to know and love throughout his career. And of course you have the brilliant Phoenix Theme which never gets old!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    I LOVE X-Men 3. It's probably one of the best scores Powell has done. While the influences of other composers are apparently, Elfman especially, it still contains a lot of Powell trademark that we have come to know and love throughout his career. And of course you have the brilliant Phoenix Theme which never gets old!

The Phoenix theme, is a very nice theme that get ruined by the rampant Elfman-isms. The overall score is too derivative for me. But I think that's the due to the part in me that is closed to being completely tired of hearing the current Elfman action styling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2008 edited
    NP: On The Beach - Christopher Gordon

Quite an appropriate score to play as it reflects more or less what I'll be doing this time next week. Enjoying the pleasures of an Australian beach, that is, not trying to survive the aftermath of global nuclear destruction. Well, I hope not anyway...

Fantastic score by the way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Eagle Eye (Brian Tyler)

Ok, I´ve found Eagle Eye´s main theme in Partition, but who cares? Tyler rocks! punk
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    NP: On The Beach - Christopher Gordon

Quite an appropriate score to play as it reflects more or less what I'll be doing this time next week. Enjoying the pleasures of an Australian beach, that is, not trying to survive the aftermath of global nuclear destruction. Well, I hope not anyway...

Fantastic score by the way.

Great score!

Let us know about those Australian adventures too. smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    Let us know about those Australian adventures too. smile

Will do. I'll create a thread and update it regularly with photos and news. smile
  2. NP: Powaqqatsi by Philip Glass

Or where The Phantom Menace meets The Truman Show wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Under Fire - Jerry Goldsmith

Wonderful use of synths, the guitar work is splendid, and the main theme (which is a concert version on this album) is one of my favorite Goldsmith themes. Goldsmith creates the perfect mood and tone for the picture using all of his wonderful tricks that he developed during his career to that point! It's an experimental score for Goldsmith and sometimes experimenting can be disastrous. However, in this case I think Goldsmith nailed it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Under Fire - Jerry Goldsmith

Wonderful use of synths, the guitar work is splendid, and the main theme (which is a concert version on this album) is one of my favorite Goldsmith themes. Goldsmith creates the perfect mood and tone for the picture using all of his wonderful tricks that he developed during his career to that point! It's an experimental score for Goldsmith and sometimes experimenting can be disastrous. However, in this case I think Goldsmith nailed it!

-Erik-

Absolutely.

Have you seen the film Erik? Well worth seeing and a rare case IMO of the benefit of having a release with both original and re-record score included, though I don't see much chance of that happening if FSM could only release the standard album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : EVENT HORIZON - Michael Kamen & Orbital

Very moody stuff that I have to be in the mood for.....like now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    NP:Bourne Supremacy (powell)

the best Bourne score so far!

Not a fan of Ultimatum? It may not be the most well-rounded score in the trilogy, but it features IMO the best Bourne track ever: "Tangiers" for the win!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    DreamTheater wrote
    NP: The Best of Dragon Quest - Koichi Sugiyama

Yesssssssssssss!!! Dragon Quest music is something every film music fan should discover!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    On Powell's X3: I am bananas over this score. But then again I've already made clear I'm a huge Powell fan. Certainly you'll be bored if you listen to X3 for the themes. While they are quite nice, it's really the richness of the action material that makes me bounce off the walls. Just like a great Horner action score, that stuff gets deeper and deeper under your skin every time you listen to it. The same can be said of other staple Powell scores: Hancock, Robots, Horton Hears a Who... It'll seem like just raw power at first, but I think there's so much more to enjoy after three or four listenings.

NP: Uncommon Valor, James Horner
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Bear McCreary - Something Dark is Coming
    from Battlestar Galactica Season 2
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Amazing!! punk

Same here.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    HeeroJF wrote

Not a fan of Ultimatum? It may not be the most well-rounded score in the trilogy, but it features IMO the best Bourne track ever: "Tangiers" for the win!

But it's just Berlin Footchase all over again. Plus the recording sounds like a Zimmer rip-off. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    NP Eagle Eye (Brian Tyler)

Ok, I´ve found Eagle Eye´s main theme in Partition, but who cares? Tyler rocks! punk

A.g.r.e.e
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HeeroJF wrote

Yeah but Supremacy features far superior tracks throughout its whole duration.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

Yeah but Supremacy features far superior tracks throughout its whole duration.

1000% agree! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Amazing!! punk

Same here.

1000% don't agree! moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Supremacy's awesome, but Ultimatum has my favourite track from the whole Bourne series. X-Men III is also brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Yup, stole the words right out of me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2008 edited
    NP: Spirited Away - Joe Hisaishi

I saw this movie again few days ago. I had forgotten how great this score is! It's perfect in every scenes.

I love Okinawan music on The Gods/Spirits and ohayashi (japanese festival music) on Hard Work punk

Edit: The Sixth Station is extraordinary beautiful.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Miya wrote
    NP: Spirited Away - Joe Hisaishi

I saw this movie again few days ago. I had forgotten how great this score is! It's perfect in every scenes.

I love Okinawan music on "The Gods/Spirits" and ohayashi (japanese festival music) on "Hard Work" punk

Couldn't agree more. I haven't heard something from Hisaishi that i didn't like yet!