• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    These are my favorites, the string writing, I would say. The main theme is pretty. Though my favorite cue in the end may be the Main Title in a long run, though I am still in my first listening.

The main title is my favourite cue. As nice as the quiet parts are, I didn't really want to hear that on a project like BD.

You have Eagle Eye to compensate wink

But those last two works by Tyler (BD and EA) are brilliant IMO. How can he do so many works in a row and do them so good is still a mystery to me.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    These are my favorites, the string writing, I would say. The main theme is pretty. Though my favorite cue in the end may be the Main Title in a long run, though I am still in my first listening.

The main title is my favourite cue. As nice as the quiet parts are, I didn't really want to hear that on a project like BD.

Why not? It's calm seas amidst the storm whereas you have EAGLE EYE and AVP:R for pure storms.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SUPERMAN - John Williams

Just a few tracks cos I'm off out in about 20 mins smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Why not? It's calm seas amidst the storm whereas you have EAGLE EYE and AVP:R for pure storms.

The pure storm is one of the reasons for my dislike of AVP actually.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't dislike it but yeah, melodic moments of rest are always welcome and calm you down against the next oncoming wave wink
  2. Timmer wrote
    NP : SUPERMAN - John Williams

Just a few tracks cos I'm off out in about 20 mins smile

Lemme guess, the stunning opening tracks...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Brian Tyler - Eagle Eye

Again, I prefer it to AVP: R biggrin The action has its dissonant ideas, but is really melodic and good. Tense music indeed. The modern rock touch is good too. Unlike AVP: R and some earlier scores, I can definitely imagine myself returning to this one. The knack for syncopes not far from RC sound is something I enjoy a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Brian Tyler - Eagle Eye

Again, I prefer it to AVP: R biggrin The action has its dissonant ideas, but is really melodic and good. Tense music indeed. The modern rock touch is good too. Unlike AVP: R and some earlier scores, I can definitely imagine myself returning to this one. The knack for syncopes not far from RC sound is something I enjoy a lot.

Glad you like it Pawel smile I also like it more than AVP:R. As Anthony said a few days ago it´s more balanced, with nice melodic moments between the huge action tracks.
  4. Yes, the key is balance and focus, and perhaps being more than the ambitions say. I still think that AVP: R fails as a homage, because there isn't enough of Tyler's own voice in it. When it comes to Eagle Eye and even Bangkok Dangerous I have a feeling, that Tyler definitely matured, while still retaining his RC-based ideas. There are neat ideas, like some of the brass writing in some action cues, which is DEFINITELY not taken from either Zimmer, Goldenthal, Goldsmith or Williams. There is a cue similar to JNH here and there, but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying it (not as blatant as Callery in 24, for example).'

Structurally, the most recent Tyler GENERALLY writes MV scores, which bigger orchestra (this time not as messy as I felt it was in AVP: R or even sometimes Paparazzi), but some basic rhythmic ideas (electronics writing, preference over certain type of syncopes) are definitely inspired by Zimmer. Some melodic ideas are of course inspired too. It may be offensive maybe, but I have a feeling that he approached his outings this year with somewhat more intelligence (I just love some orchestrational effects in Eagle Eye - like certain string glissandi - and the more emotional stuff in Bangkok Dangerous) than, say, the, indeed, mayhem called AVP: R.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Really? A lot of stuff in AVP 2 sounds a lot more sophisticated and more brutal than anything MV could churn out. I don't anything Zimmer could write would equal "Decimation Proclaimation" in terms of in-your-face attitude and orchestration.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  5. Orchestrally beefed up and, OK, actually that score is the LEAST Zimmerish of the recent bunch (though there is a little figure in the beginning of Decimation Proclamation) and yeah, Zimmer never ventured into Goldenthalesque areas THAT much.

Though I'd say that Why So Serious, while not as well orchestrated (obviously) , has a very similar brutality and "in your face" attitude. It's just pure mayhem too.

While I am not a fan of AVP 2, Decimation Proclamation may actually be my favorite Tyler track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Matt C wrote
    Really? A lot of stuff in AVP 2 sounds a lot more sophisticated and more brutal than anything MV could churn out. I don't anything Zimmer could write would equal "Decimation Proclaimation" in terms of in-your-face attitude and orchestration.

As much as i love the Z man, i agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote

Though I'd say that Why So Serious, while not as well orchestrated (obviously) , has a very similar brutality and "in your face" attitude. It's just pure mayhem too.

Doesn't comes close, in terms of volume, size, thickness and richness of orchestration.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Doesn't comes close, in terms of volume, size, thickness and richness of orchestration.

Agree. "Why So Serious" is an original composition featuring Joker´s theme / motif / whatever but doesn´t come even remotely close to the giant "Decimation Proclamation" or any single cue in "AVP:R" or "Eagle Eye". With the orchestarations of AVP:R or EA you can write a thousand Dark Knights.
  6. I agree with both of you. All I mean is that the final effect in terms of attitude and brutality is similar with using very different means to achieve it. Zimmer also went into similar brutality in Black Hawk Down before.

I guess the best word for Joker's material would be texture?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Brian Tyler - Eagle Eye

Again, I prefer it to AVP: R biggrin The action has its dissonant ideas...

>>> biggrin <<<

See how much better it is with words around it? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I agree with both of you. All I mean is that the final effect in terms of attitude and brutality is similar with using very different means to achieve it.

Yes you´re right here. But if you ask me, I prefer the brutality of Tyler, at least in terms of listening experience. I mean I come back very often to AVP:R or Eagle Eye, while the only track I come back from TDK is Like a Dog Chasing Cars. Won´t discuss TDK´s score in the film as it gives it the appropriate mood, but as a stand alone listening experience it pales against Tyler music.
  7. Why So Serious was never meant to be very listenable though, mind you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Neither does AVP:R, but it still is wink
  8. But AVP: R never was planned as a musical experiment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2008 edited
    Well, i love THE DARK KNIGHT, all of it. But aside that Zimmer (mostly he) went a bit more wow-wow and blah blah than usual over the said piece; i can understand why since it's the first time he has done it to such degree, and it surely works wonders within the film but he's hardly the first to experiment with sounds and textures in music wink
  9. No, he's not the first and he names his influences actually. I meant something different - Why So Serious was meant to be an unlistenable experiment from the conception of the idea. On the other hand, AVP: R was planned as a homage type of work.

BTW, what does the Eagle Eye theme remind me of? Any ideas? Ladder 49 main theme?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    All Brian Tyler themes so far in one wink
  10. There is a similarity between this one and No Rules of Engagement from Rambo, of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ZBIGNIEW PREISNER - silence night and dreams

Absolutely beautiful music and sound textures ruined by the irritating singing of a wanna-be diva. Why?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

Indeed, there´s also some Partition writing in "Loss of a Twin". But I love it!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2008 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

And there's one point where it sounds like it's going to break out into the main "theme" from War (but lickily it doesn't). One middle-eastern sounding motif comes straight from the Bourne Ultimatum in "Dead End Clues".

PawelStroinski wrote
    AVP: R never was planned as a musical experiment.

Have you ever listened to Bug?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    OSVALDO GOLIJOV - youth without youth

Deeply romantic and moving, gracefully elegant and lyrical orchestral scoring blessed with melodies echoing from past eras. A wonderful gem, a brilliant musical work.
  11. Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

And there's one point where it sounds like it's going to break out into the main "theme" from War (but lickily it doesn't). One middle-eastern sounding motif comes straight from the Bourne Ultimatum in "Dead End Clues".

PawelStroinski wrote
    AVP: R never was planned as a musical experiment.

Have you ever listened to Bug?

Few tracks and found it quite interesting as an experiment, but we were comparing AVP: R with Batman, whereas I agree that Dark Knight is an acquired taste and by far not as complex as Tyler's work, there is far more experimentation there and presence of the composers' own voices (hell, I hear JNH's orchestrations in Like a Dog Chasing Cars)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - the devil's advocate

Oh, it's like a great visit to a dear old friend; nostalgic, warm and strong feelings come to mind and heart whenever i play this gem which has always been very dear and personal a musical experience for me. Dimmer lights, a glass of good ol' wine like my friend Martijn would say, and pleasure...bliss.