• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2008
    NP Hunt for Red October
    I'm listening to the complete score and I'm absolutely addicted to the third last track with the instrumental version of the hymn in it. What happens there is like magic!

I don't know what it is lately, but each thursday I am completely de-stressing on Poledouris. It really helps release a lot of negative energy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2008 edited
    Was playing: Princess Mononoke (Soundtrack) - Joe Hisaishi

First listen for this album (I had only Symphonic Suite).
    Too many short tracks, but still a great listening. The Legend Of Ashitaka theme always gives me goosebumps!

And now I wanna see the movie again... but I only have the VHS version and no VHS player here crazy

NP: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - the famous guy

smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  1. NP: Star Wars: The Clone Wars by Kevin Kiner

Or music where everything happens at once. Jeezus good ideas but everything is so thrown together it even gives me a headache. Plus the reason of not hearing a Star Wars theme is really dissapointing. Give Me McNeely's Shadows of the Empire or The Force by Mark Griskey everday over this one shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Rescuers Down Under - Bruce Broughton

I wanna see him scoring Disney films again... or Pixar!
    (direct-to-video cheapquels don't count. tongue )
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Miya wrote
    NP: The Rescuers Down Under - Bruce Broughton

I wanna see him scoring Disney films again... or Pixar!
    (direct-to-video cheapquels don't count. tongue )

Hear, hear. I looove Rescuers Down Under! I've had my gripes about the way Bruce Broughton does suspence music, but his adventurous, high-spirited music is infectious. I can't have enough of Baby's Day out, either. It would be quite a come-back if he were given a new Disney theatrical feature! Here's hoping.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I also listen to Davy Jones, one of perhaps Zimmer's most underrated themes.

The Davy Jones theme is yet another reason why DM'sC rates so high in my opinion. My favourite genre of music is gothic music (House of Frankenstein, Hellraiser, Castlevania, etc.) and so imagine my surprise to hear a gothic theme in a pirate score! Amazing.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Three Choral Suites Miklós Rózsa

What an awesome album to put on after a long(ish) day. Ahhhhh..... cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: For The Love Of The Game - Basil Poledouris

If all Kevin Costner did was make baseball movies I'd be the first in line for all of them. While For The Love Of The Game is my least favorite of his in a baseball role I still enjoyed the film mostly for the baseball sequences. It great to see an actor that can actual play the game itself... which isn't always the case in sports film. I always find Costner to be believable in these roles whether playing the game itself (Bull Durham and Chasing Dream) or being an advocate of the game (Field of Dreams) He was also a washed up ball player in The Upside of Anger. Here Costner plays a soon to be retired Detroit Tigers pitcher who during his last game is doing one of the hardest things to do in baseball... throw a perfect game... while at the same time reflecting back on his life in baseball and his four year relationship with his girlfriend who he is about to loose.

I could have done without the relationship aspect of the movie but then we wouldn't have the GREAT relationship theme from the pen of Poledouris. The full orchestral version of the theme in "The Decision" is magnificent. The score opens with a SUPERB opening theme which is up there with some of the all time great sports movie themes! It's reprise at the end of the film is nothing short of perfect. All the sports film music cliches are here but Poledouris does it in such a way that it's never cheesy. Sure, you have the bluegrass, lighthearted music which accompanies some of the baseball sequences, but it fit like a glove with comedy on screen as we see a bunch of grown men having fun playing the game they love. The last cue is the highlight of the album as Poledouris introduces a choir to the score and then lays on the main theme full on with that becomes a massive crowd pleasing piece with reprise of the main theme in full!!!

A wonderful effort!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    I agree. I´m not a fan of sport movies (actually I find them pretty boring, full of clichés and uninteresting) but I loved this one. The way the story is told, Costner´s performance and the game sequences are very good. And Basil´s score is great, the final game cue is one of his best.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. Steven wrote
    Three Choral Suites Miklós Rózsa

What an awesome album to put on after a long(ish) day. Ahhhhh..... cool

aahhh, indeed such a fine album
    The perfect way to get yourself acquainted with Rozsa's music, top notch album my friend smile
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: For The Love Of The Game - Basil Poledouris

If all Kevin Costner did was make baseball movies I'd be the first in line for all of them. While For The Love Of The Game is my least favorite of his in a baseball role I still enjoyed the film mostly for the baseball sequences. It great to see an actor that can actual play the game itself... which isn't always the case in sports film. I always find Costner to be believable in these roles whether playing the game itself (Bull Durham and Chasing Dream) or being an advocate of the game (Field of Dreams) He was also a washed up ball player in The Upside of Anger. Here Costner plays a soon to be retired Detroit Tigers pitcher who during his last game is doing one of the hardest things to do in baseball... throw a perfect game... while at the same time reflecting back on his life in baseball and his four year relationship with his girlfriend who he is about to loose.

I could have done without the relationship aspect of the movie but then we wouldn't have the GREAT relationship theme from the pen of Poledouris. The full orchestral version of the theme in "The Decision" is magnificent. The score opens with a SUPERB opening theme which is up there with some of the all time great sports movie themes! It's reprise at the end of the film is nothing short of perfect. All the sports film music cliches are here but Poledouris does it in such a way that it's never cheesy. Sure, you have the bluegrass, lighthearted music which accompanies some of the baseball sequences, but it fit like a glove with comedy on screen as we see a bunch of grown men having fun playing the game they love. The last cue is the highlight of the album as Poledouris introduces a choir to the score and then lays on the main theme full on with that becomes a massive crowd pleasing piece with reprise of the main theme in full!!!

A wonderful effort!

-Erik-

I've been in love with this movie and score for some time. I was even able to track down a complete version of the score. The theme, is to me THE baseball theme. It really captures the game and gives it a great sense of honor and majesty. This is my favorite of basil's work.

Costner is amazing in baseball movies. Too bad he couldn't be amazing in everything else slant
    He does well in westerns to. And his Robin Hood is a childhood favorite of mine. He should not have played Robin Hood, but I still love the movie (and music).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    omaha wrote
    Costner is amazing in baseball movies. Too bad he couldn't be amazing in everything else slant
    He does well in westerns to. And his Robin Hood is a childhood favorite of mine. He should not have played Robin Hood, but I still love the movie (and music).

I'm a Costner fan. Sure, he has made (and directed) some really bad movies but I usually find him convincing in most of what he does. While his accent was a HUGE problem in Robin Hood, I liked his portrayal and he looked the part.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    omaha wrote

I'm a Costner fan. Sure, he has made (and directed) some really bad movies but I usually find him convincing in most of what he does. While his accent was a HUGE problem in Robin Hood, I liked his portrayal and he looked the part.

-Erik-

Strangely enough I never had a problem with the accent, I mean, cripes knows how anyone sounded back then....I'd bet it wasn't a cut glass David Niven Brit accent.

I had more problems with the likes of Tony Curtis playing ye olde English knight..."surely dis was the land of my fadda" or whatever cheesy wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    EAGLE EYE | TYLER

Still going. Second to Lost season 3, this is my favourite release of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I prefer El Cid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    omaha wrote

-Erik-

Strangely enough I never had a problem with the accent, I mean, cripes knows how anyone sounded back then....I'd bet it wasn't a cut glass David Niven Brit accent.

It's not so much how is English accent sounded it was the fact that he would in one scene sound "English" and the next sound "American" for the lack of a better word. No consistency. The film makers should have pulled a John McTiernan (Hunt For Red October and The 13th Warrior) and Kenneth Branagh (Much Ado About Nothing) and let the actors use what ever there natural accent was.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    I prefer El Cid.

Oh hell yes! El Cid, The Kentuckian, all the brilliant Intrada and Varese releases beats the pants off the majority of new film scores that came out this year. I'm still struggling to find 10 excellent scores from 2008. Let's see if I can do it right now...

WALL- E - Thomas Newman
    An easy choice for me. This right now is my favorite score of 2008

Burn After Reading - Carter Burwell
    A very close second to Newman's Wall-E. A dead serious score to a off beat, wild/wacky and hilarious film. Burwell's score is an added joke since the tone of music is so deadly serious yet the characters are just a bunch of lovable morons!

Asterix Aux Jeux Olympiques - Frederic Talgorn
    Forgot about this one. Talgorn managed to compose a score in the style of John Williams better than John Williams did this year.

Hellboy 2 or Wanted - Danny Elfman
    I like them both. Not sure which one I like the best... need to give them a few more spins but I think Wanted has the superior theme.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - John Williams
    A solid work but not a great "film score" or even a great Indy film score but with 2008 being such a weak year this score shines.

Batman: Gotham Knight - Christopher Drake, Robert Kral and Kevin Manthei
    Probably the best Batman music I heard this year which contain one of the most stunning end credit suites I've heard in a long time.

The Force Unleashed - Mark Griskey
    Easily the best Star Wars score this year. Blows away Kiners failed attempt.

Cloverfield - Michael Giacchino
    I really enjoyed this tip of the cap to Ifukube by Giacchino but it's not really a film score so I guess it doesn't count. But it is one of the most enjoyable piece of music from a film to come out this year!

That's about it! There's still 3 months to go! Bring on Desplat's Benjamin Button. So much potential and high hopes coming from a Fincher film. I hope it's not another let down the way The Golden Compass was last year!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Not that it's a very hard thing to do biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Not that it's a very hard thing to do biggrin

Oooooh snap!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    EAGLE EYE | TYLER

"Operation Guillotine" - "Potus 111" punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    NP: The Fury - John Williams

I've discovered this small gem while browsing this forum, where various nice people stated how good a score it is. I agree, for horror music this is surprisingly thematic, haunting and interesting all the way through. I love that period in John Williams life and I don't know how on earth I missed this one, surely because I don't know the film or it wasn't as widely available as his other works from that period. The recording of the regular edition is superb IMO and I prefer this version of Death on the Caroussel / Gillian's Power over the Deluxe Edition's. I sampled both before deciding to buy it of course.

So thanks to the members here for introducing me to this fine work by the maestro.
    Yes Erik, you have no small part in this... wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. NP: Surf's Up by Mychael Danna

I love the opening track, ever since I saw it in the trailer, the rest is fun but sadly all a bit short on the time
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    NP: The Fury - John Williams

I've discovered this small gem while browsing this forum, where various nice people stated how good a score it is. I agree, for horror music this is surprisingly thematic, haunting and interesting all the way through. I love that period in John Williams life and I don't know how on earth I missed this one, surely because it I don't know the film or it wasn't as widely available or as his other works from that period. The recording of the regular edition is superb IMO and I prefer this version of Death on the Caroussel / Gillian's Power over the Deluxe Edition's. I sampled both before deciding to buy it of course.

So thanks to the members here for introducing me to this fine work by the maestro.
    Yes Erik, you have no small part in this... wink

Gilles, this, IMO, is one of THE great Williams scores. If this was a new score written this year it would sweep every score aside with the merest of ease, back in 1978 there were so many contenders that this was just one of many.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    EAGLE EYE | TYLER

Nah, more like "Ladders", "Clutch Then Shift", "Copyboy" and "The Case". smile wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    EAGLE EYE | TYLER

Nah, more like "Ladders", "Clutch Then Shift", "Copyboy" and "The Case". smile wink

Hmmm....., ok, those too tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    EAGLE EYE | TYLER

Hmmm....., ok, those too tongue

The last two tracks are good, but they're too dramatic for my liking. With a Tyler score, I just want it to pound away endlessly. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Marselus wrote
    I agree. I´m not a fan of sport movies (actually I find them pretty boring, full of clichés and uninteresting) but I loved this one. The way the story is told, Costner´s performance and the game sequences are very good. And Basil´s score is great, the final game cue is one of his best.

To me, there's only ONE truly classic sports movie.... SLAPSHOT!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy Of course it has no score, but it's still a classic movie. Especially to a French Canadian like me watching it in French Canadian dub. Classic.

NP: Random Harvest, Herbert Stothart
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PHILIP GLASS - Koyaanisqatsi - Life Out Of Balance

Impressive, deeply moving and singularly captivating work. Quite the perfect listen for my process of writing the thesis as we speak. Next - after having listened to it twice, is

Powaqqatsi - Life in Transformation
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Pow-ah-quah-ah-see? confused cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2008
    HeeroJF wrote
    Marselus wrote

To me, there's only ONE truly classic sports movie.... SLAPSHOT!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy Of course it has no score, but it's still a classic movie. Especially to a French Canadian like me watching it in French Canadian dub. Classic.

Slap shot is good... a cult classic here in Canada but have you seen The Rocket? IMHO, it's one of the best sports films I've ever seen. Up there with Hoosiers, Rudy and Bull Durham.

-Erik-