• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Another psot at FSM; Stuart M. Thomas' website (works with J.N.H.) is reporting a mystery film -- a new News entry. I'm guessing this is it, since he already updated like a week ago about "Snow White and the Huntsman" and the next Bourne film.

Keeping a busy year as ever, I see, J.N.H.

If only quantity equated to quality.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011
    Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Another psot at FSM; Stuart M. Thomas' website (works with J.N.H.) is reporting a mystery film -- a new News entry. I'm guessing this is it, since he already updated like a week ago about "Snow White and the Huntsman" and the next Bourne film.

Keeping a busy year as ever, I see, J.N.H.

If only quantity equated to quality.

Someone else here at this board mentioned how much better it would be if certain composers took less of a workload during the year and that it might well produce better quality scores. I totally agree but I'm sure the composer is thinking of pay cheques and not that his/her music will benefit from less work.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I'm thinking that taking on fewer projects a year may not help improve the quality.

I would say that composers being brought in at a late stage in a project is what means that the quality isn't so good. Having only a few weeks to do a job means he/she can fit more in. If they didn't take so many projects they would just have more spare time in between the remaining films.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Now confirmed:

www.variety.com/article/VR1118047055?refCatId=13

It sad though, but I'm glad that JNH is going to make up for the crappy 2011 he had.
  3. By overburdening himself with big projects in a short spam, that all look like they'll take the kind of scores we haven't enjoyed from him as of late?

I'd take that Elfman effort anytime.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. yonythemoony wrote
    Now confirmed:

www.variety.com/article/VR1118047055?refCatId=13

It sad though, but I'm glad that JNH is going to make up for the crappy 2011 he had.

I wouldn't call it a "crappy" year for JNH. I thought the first half of Water for Elephants was really lovely. I also liked quite a bit of the Tourist, even though it was light fare. Haven't heard anything else.

I will say this, though, if you think he had a crappy year this year, it wasn't for lack of interesting projects or big budget films. He had plenty of those. So if you didn't like what he did with them this year, getting so many projects for next year doesn't guarantee anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2011
    You're quite right - a superhero film, an old-fashioned romance and a spy thriller are not exactly uninteresting projects for a film composer.
  5. The Tourist is from 2010, not 2011. I said that he had a crappy year because he didn't had too many good proyects. Water To Elephants must be the only good one. Green Lantern was turned into a MV action score. And I didn't hear anything good from people who watched The Green Hornet.

And compared with all the good proyects he's having by 2012, the 2011 was terrible.
  6. yonythemoony wrote
    The Tourist is from 2010, not 2011. I said that he had a crappy year because he didn't had too many good proyects. Water To Elephants must be the only good one. Green Lantern was turned into a MV action score. And I didn't hear anything good from people who watched The Green Hornet.

And compared with all the good proyects he's having by 2012, the 2011 was terrible.

I watched Green Hornet, and I thought the score was decent, occasionally even cool. And especially way better than Green Lantern. 3 stars nothing more though
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2011 edited
    I can only imagine there must have been some serious repression of creativity (by the studio and/or the director) occurring with Green Lantern. Howard himself can't possibly be satisfied with the way that score turned out.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  7. Steve Jablonsky is listed on IMDB for the upcoming Batman reboot.

Insert bitch _________________*

(* except for the Jablonsky-ites)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  8. What Batman reboot?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There's an article about it here. Personally, I think the article writer is talking out of his arse. To begin another Batman reboot so soon after Nolan's films, which are brilliant as I'm sure the third one will be, is Hollywood as its most absurd.

Bitching about Jablonsky would kind of be missing the point.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Am I the only one who doesn't think Nolan's Bat-films are brilliant? I enjoyed both of them and they were a massive improvement over Burton's and the other two unmentionables but I never understood the OTT praise, aside from a scene stealing Heath Ledger I even found a re-viewing of The Dark Knight actually tedious and Bale's "growling" annoying.

I think I've more than had my fill of Batman, bring on THE AVENGERS! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Love the old BATMANs, love the new ones.

But I don't believe any rumours about a remake is true untill I have it confirmed.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I enjoy Batman Begins, I love The Dark Knight and I can't wait for The Dark Knight Rises! punk punk punk punk

The only reason I'm even remotely interested in The Avengers is because of the director.
  9. Well, we know that WB is planning to reboot Batman after The Dark Knight Rises but it's still way too soon so there's no way that they can have a new composer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Pahhhh! Who am I kidding!!!? OF COURSE I WANT TO SEE THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, for a start it's got BANE in it ( portrayed as a brainless steroid pumped gorilla in the unmentionable film starring Arnie as Freeze face ) and I have some faith that Nolan will do him justice ( pardon the pun ).

I'm still far more geared up for THE AVENGERS though cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2011 edited
    The thing I hate about the whole idea of the Avengers is the mixing of worlds. Ironman and Thor just seem so at odds with each other. Ironman is Marvel Comics' Batman, and Thor is their Superman. Mixing the two worlds just seems odd. I like Batman and Ironman since they rely on intelligence and technology rather than supernatural powers. I like Thor (well, to some degree) and Superman because they have supernatural elements. But mixing the two ruins it! slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nonsense! ( well, yeah, but you know what I mean wink )
    Steven wrote
    The thing I hate about the whole idea of the Avengers is the mixing of worlds. Ironman and Thor just seem so at odds with each other. Ironman is Marvel Comics' Batman, and Thor is their Superman. Mixing the two worlds just seems odd. I like Batman and Ironman since they rely on intelligence and technology rather than supernatural powers. I like Thor (well, to some degree) and Superman because they have supernatural elements. But mixing the two ruins it! slant

No it doesn't......IT TOTALLY MAKES IT! cool punk
  10. Thor wrote

Like the old ones too (even Batman & Robin). Hell the scores in these films are way better than the reboots.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Urgh, not for me it doesn't! tongue

Still, I have relatively high hopes, especially with Whedon being involved.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

You may like it that Batman lives in his own non-superpowered world but that's not the created world he came from which includes Superman, Green Lantern and cripes knows how many more cosmic powered goodies and baddies.

Marvel is consolidating their universe on film and that, as a long time comic fan, I like, I like a lot! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

Like the old ones too (even Batman & Robin). Hell the scores in these films are way better than the reboots.

On the scores I totally agree! Zimmer and JNH has to be the most disappointing, underwhelming team-up ever!
  11. "Total Recall" to Harry Gregson-Williams
    "The Avengers" to the current-mode Alan Silvestri
    "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" to Henry Jackman
    Elfman loosing "The Hunger Games"
    "Red Dawn" remake to Ramin Djawadawadingdong.
    And it looks like Marc Streitenfeld got "Prometheus"

My hopes are fairly low for what will come the "Man of Steel"* and "Dredd"* scores.

* = Don't even ask about the "Rat's ass" I give about the aforementioned films...

Aaannnddd Zimmer has gone back on what he said, and is now scoring "Man of Steel".

Boy, I can't wait for the one-note Superman theme; with a buzzing, overbearing hum for the villain theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote

yeah

Both (or all three, if you include the Adam West one) serve their purpose in their time frame.
    Enjoy all three incarnations equally, although I have to give the nod to Nolan for content (storywise and philosophically).

Steven wrote
    The thing I hate about the whole idea of the Avengers is the mixing of worlds. Ironman and Thor just seem so at odds with each other.

They are.
    And if they handle it as well in the film as in the comic, that should actually lead to something that is surprisingly good.
    There is some extremely interesting interaction and dialogue potential between a semi-hedonist billionaire with severe psychological issues, a super patriot out of time, and a hippy do-gooder who might just be a pagan God.
    Mix that with political machinations in a world that isn't so black and white (as manipulated by Colonel Fury), and you have a potentially very explosive mix indeed!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2011 edited
    Not surprised that Streitenfeld got PROMETHEUS. He's been doing Scott's last few movies. He obviously can't match Goldsmith, but that's not a goal either. I liked his work on ROBIN HOOD, so I'm hopeful of a fine score. Some nice textures and stuff. Hope it has some originalities.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

You may like it that Batman lives in his own non-superpowered world but that's not the created world he came from which includes Superman, Green Lantern and cripes knows how many more cosmic powered goodies and baddies.

Speaking of which, isn't Superman vs. Batman still on for production at some point in this millennium?

Really Steven, don't worry.
    As with The Avengers, this is comic book history and has been for fifty years or more.
    There's some old hands dabbling at this, and I for one ain't worried one bit.

(Although yeah, it may help to be a long time comics fan)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

yeah

Both (or all three, if you include the Adam West one) serve their purpose in their time frame.
    Enjoy all three incarnations equally, although I have to give the nod to Nolan for content (storywise and philosophically).

Steven wrote
    The thing I hate about the whole idea of the Avengers is the mixing of worlds. Ironman and Thor just seem so at odds with each other.

They are.
    And if they handle it as well in the film as in the comic, that should actually lead to something that is surprisingly good.
    There is some extremely interesting interaction and dialogue potential between a semi-hedonist billionaire with severe psychological issues, a super patriot out of time, and a hippy do-gooder who might just be a pagan God.
    Mix that with political machinations in a world that isn't so black and white (as manipulated by Colonel Fury), and you have a potentially very explosive mix indeed!

And not forgetting that the Hulk is used as the "nuclear deterent". Like I said, Marvel seems to be getting it right in consolidating their universe in film, I don't think the DC world works as well.