• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    I feel her. Seriously. People are spending more and more time and energy in their lives to be glued in front of stupid screens and games all day instead of actual human contact. Don't take me wrong, i love playing games too, but they take too little amount of my time and it's usually when i am alone at home, away from family and gf, which rarely happens really. Everything must be done in moderation and balance...we live only once, if you realize this, it's such a shame to spend it all in front of screens.

Plus, if you had that babe and you were unemployed and played ps3 all day instead of going out to find a job and play with the babe instead, you should get yourself checked wink

Hey there are people that don't have the social skills or feel at ease in this increasingly vicious world, like me, so my life consists of pretty much sitting glued in front of stupid screens and thus interacting more easily with people. There's something uncontrollable about real life that doesn't compute with me, so I prefer to communicate on-line to people I've never encountered and to immerse myself in the virtual realities of videogames, where I have control of things to some extent. If this sounds just sad, maybe it is but to me it's just my stance on reality and how to cope with it.

Oh oh! I may have just put myself in the WEIRDO cathegory with this comment. shame sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2010
    Impossible! D already claimed the weirdo catagory. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I have a similar problem to DT. I feel much more secure (and respected) online than in real life. Though respected not anymore, after all I did say that I prefer Zimmer to Horner, when it comes to movies biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I feel much more secure online than in real life.

...tracking IP address
    done
    ...triangulating location through GMaps
    done
    ...acquiring physical address
    done
    ...extracting phone number and email address
    done
    ...extracting photos from social networks
    done
    ...applying for credit card online using above details
    done
    approved
    ...using card purchasing ammonium-nitrate, radio-active material, three Zambian sex slaves and a subscription to Al-Quaeda's home organ "The Jolly Jihad".

Done.
    God, I LOVE the internet!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lol applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Martijn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I feel much more secure online than in real life.

...tracking IP address
    done
    ...triangulating location through GMaps
    done
    ...acquiring physical address
    done
    ...extracting phone number and email address
    done
    ...extracting photos from social networks
    done
    ...applying for credit card online using above details
    done
    approved
    ...using card purchasing ammonium-nitrate, radio-active material, three Zambian sex slaves and a subscription to Al-Quaeda's home organ "The Jolly Jihad".

Done.
    God, I LOVE the internet!

shocked shocked freezing freezing

You sir are a true WIZARD. Luckily I have my firewall all set up to block wizardlike dutchmen.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Everybody has basic social skills. The thing is that when being glued in front of the pc screens, this creates the false impression that you can't and you don't have them, the social skills. It's all excuses we give to ourselves, believe me. And it's all excuses, if you stand up and leave the room for a while and convince yourself to try and do the change, you'll interact with other people just perfectly, as good as you interact with us here with no problems at all. It's all in your head, i believe...have you ever tried changing lifestyle? smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    ..have you ever tried changing lifestyle? smile

Well, I tried being apathetic for a while, but in the end I couldn't be bothered.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Everybody has basic social skills. The thing is that when being glued in front of the pc screens, this creates the false impression that you can't and you don't have them, the social skills. It's all excuses we give to ourselves, believe me. And it's all excuses, if you stand up and leave the room for a while and convince yourself to try and do the change, you'll interact with other people just perfectly, as good as you interact with us here with no problems at all. It's all in your head, i believe...have you ever tried changing lifestyle? smile

Changing lifestyle is like climbing the highest peak of the Himalaya's dude. I know I cannot do it. Because nobody has ever taken me as far as the Himalaya's. Also I need my routine in life, if not I just lose my calm. If I don't know what I'm gonna be doing in a couple of hours I just go bananas. And you're right... it's all in the head. If only my head belonged to someone else. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2010 edited
    You can do it, but it's not easy. You won't interact with people "just perfectly" as Demetris says - that takes time unfortunately. And of course it's all in the head! Just the same as good social skills are all in the head. That doesn't make it any less hard.

But in a typically untactful but passionate way, I think Demetris' point is about diving in head first. Take life by the balls and get it to cough!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2010
    ^ Exactly. beer

Like MaGyver.

Every species has one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Steven wrote
    You can do it, but it's not easy. You won't interact with people "just perfectly" as Demetris says - that takes time unfortunately. And of course it's all in the head! Just the same as good social skills are all in the head. That doesn't make it any less hard.

I agree. It is hard. And not everyone will have the same social skills, it depends on the character too. As long as you're happy with it. I would say it's partly accepting your character and personality and partly practice and excercise...

And spend time with people you feel comfy with and less with people who you don't feel comfy with. Some people can really take your confidence away because they don't accept or respect you.

Sometimes I used see people who seem to get along with everyone (they don't, it just looks that way, with all that chit chat about nothing) and I wish I was like that. But not anymore. As long as I am who I want to be with family and friends I'm happy.

And I agree about the screen stuff too. It can be an illusion to feel better that way. It should never replace real life contact and real life activities. The best of both would be best I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    DreamTheater wrote
    Changing lifestyle is like climbing the highest peak of the Himalaya's dude. I know I cannot do it.

I couldn't do that either.

But just taking a walk or climbing the stairs, that I could do. wink
    Don't expect to change your lifestyle completely and all at once. Make small changes.
    Besides, no one should want to change completely. A few adjustments can make big changes though!
  5. Bregje wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Changing lifestyle is like climbing the highest peak of the Himalaya's dude. I know I cannot do it.

I couldn't do that either.

But just taking a walk or climbing the stairs, that I could do. wink
    Don't expect to change your lifestyle completely and all at once. Make small changes.
    Besides, no one should want to change completely. A few adjustments can make big changes though!

Thanks for giving me some pointers Bregje, I appreciate it. wave

Sometimes I just feel so out of place in this world that it all becomes too much. So my private space is always my place of confidence and trust, you know? My main flaw, especially when I was younger, that I was always afraid to say and do the wrong thing and that people would criticize me for it. Nowadays I have that problem less, but I still don't know how to react well on certain things that happen on a day to day basis. I see a lot of negativity where I work so that does not help either. I'm getting much more open towards people, there were years you wouldn't see me talk to strangers like this on a forum, let alone face to face, but I'm still putting barriers wherever I can. There are some lines I won't and don't want to cross... yet. But I agree finding one's own balance in this world is what it's all about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Dt, don't let anyone's complexes, negative attitude and attacks, take over you. Some people are also teasing and trying you, to see who you are, how you react, what your limits are...it happens to everyone of us. Don't remain silent, oppressing your feelings all the time 'cause apart that it does harm to you, closing in to your self more and more each time, you also let others get away with it and in the end nobody values you.

Try and express your opinion and objections too, your wants, views and wishes, and try to make them reality, with small steps each time. A good way to face things is to prepare good arguments for whatever you do so when needed, you'll have a valid reply instantly in place, prepared from before. And also improvise a bit too. Don't let others walk over your life, chances are that unless you'll return as the messiah or a zombie, you'll live it only once and you don't want to be regretting not taking control of it, when you'll be older and that chance will be long gone. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2010
    And don't forget it's a huge stress factor, especially if you're not happy with it and feel bad each time it didn't go as you hoped. For me that was a good motivator, when I realised I was harming myself and my health with all those worries and stress and negativity.

I recognize the feeling of not belonging here, being in the wrong place, as if you're different than others. Perhaps you haven't found enough nice people yet who have the same interests or who are a bit like you? When I started my training in 2005 I met the nicest people in the world, warm friendly people who liked the same things as I did and they appreciated me too. It was like coming home.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010
    Balls of steel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57jMakey … dded#at=31
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010
    You can always resort to facebook for a good laugh to cheer you up wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2010
    The order of the universe.

It's changing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2010
    Christodoulides wrote

It's changing!

LOL! That's so classic. The typical traits of both animals in perfect display! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010
    Steven,

You can kiss your holidays to your extended family in the US goodbye; for ever.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's changing!

LOL! That's so classic. The typical traits of both animals in perfect display! smile

The owner needs a kick up the arse! angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010 edited
    So this, instead of the Avatar review, is funny?

Wow, it must be a European thing. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's changing!

The owner needs a kick up the arse! angry

Actually, I think it was worth publishing, if only for the laugh. You don't have to be a liberal Christian like myself to see how dumb that writer is. But he has the right to say his piece nonetheless.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Wrong quote Thor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Wrong quote Thor.

LOL! Yes, I see that now. Sorry about that. I assumed you talked about the owner of the magazine.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010
    My
    precious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd take Gollum over that ghastly stick monster any day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You'd...........take Gollum?