• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2009
    Haven't really bothered to go outside today, as I'm too hung over, but although there have been glimpses of sun, I think it's fair to say that the summer is on its wane.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. The last two weeks on Skye were, what could be best described as "changeable". Changeable in the extreme!

Every single day had some level of rain. But, on the other hand, every day (bar 2) also had a good level of sunshine!

In some ways, this was the best weather - as it showed off the scenery in all its forms. It was great!

(Though we did get a very short-lived hail storm on the beach.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2009
    Alan, welcome back my friend; we need photos!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009
    Rather cool today at 66 with a low of 42.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The last two weeks on Skye were, what could be best described as "changeable". Changeable in the extreme!

Every single day had some level of rain. But, on the other hand, every day (bar 2) also had a good level of sunshine!

In some ways, this was the best weather - as it showed off the scenery in all its forms. It was great!

(Though we did get a very short-lived hail storm on the beach.)

Sounds brilliant! I kid you not.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2009
    Rained like HELL since almost 12 hours non-stop. Over ankle length level of water in the garden and in the other areas I hear vehicles almost went underwater. Was a nice change from the hot and humid weather but it gets sick when the rains are so prolonged!

Had a narrow miss damaging the computer when the lightning pulse climbed into the electricity line. Now I know not to keep it running in this weather!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's sunny, but starting to get a bit cold. I'm looking forward to a week in sunny AND warm Turkey from Sunday. However, north of Turkey has apparently had their own share of rain themselves recently.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's been lovely weather all week here and for once that's forecast to continue for the weekend. Not warm, but nice and sunny.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Indeed! It's glorious here right now! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Rained like HELL since almost 12 hours non-stop. Over ankle length level of water in the garden and in the other areas I hear vehicles almost went underwater. Was a nice change from the hot and humid weather but it gets sick when the rains are so prolonged!

Had a narrow miss damaging the computer when the lightning pulse climbed into the electricity line. Now I know not to keep it running in this weather!

I know rain in India isn't always a blessing but as a tourist it can be awesome, people here go on about 'rainy Britain' but going to India during monsoon and you find out what REAL raining is all about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I know rain in India isn't always a blessing but as a tourist it can be awesome, people here go on about 'rainy Britain' but going to India during monsoon and you find out what REAL raining is all about.

Yeah, did you guys see the youtube video I posted from the Turkish floods a couple of posts up? I'm guessing Indian monsoons may result in similar scenarios.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, India and particularly Bangladesh have seen more than their fair share of flooding disasters.

That one in Turkey is awful, what get's me is that everytime you have some disaster it always brings out the low life pond scum to capitalise on the misery of others ( looting etc )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The rains here up North are still more moderate. Around the East and South, torrential is an understatement, they get really devastating. Bengal got horridly flooded last year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    DemonStar wrote

Would a lightning rod solve the problem?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    We've been a bit on the warm side this week with highs in the low 80's. According to the weather charts I looked at its about 10 degrees above normal.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    sdtom wrote
    Would a lightning rod solve the problem?

Possibly, yeah. But our buildings aren't really that tall so it isn't quite necessary. The danger is when the lightning strikes telephone/electricity poles and the pulse moves through the wires into our instruments.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've seen those poles and wires...makes great photographic shots but must be a nightmare for electricians.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    They're now slowly removing the old ones and making them underground. That's better!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Actually if you had a rod it would attract the electricity instead of the wires. Do you have a house? There not terribly difficult to install.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    We're thinking about that. But that's quite expensive, actually.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Couldn't you just cellotape a car aerial to a long piece of bamboo or something!? biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Bamboo is a non conductor of electricity tongue wink

Actually we previously had one of those old TV antennae up on the terrace and I wondered if it could be modified to put to such a use. But it got badly damaged due to storms etc. and we had to give it off for salvage. Guess a real thing will have to be put up for the purpose.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Couldn't you just cellotape a car aerial to a long piece of bamboo or something!? biggrin wink

It would work if you had wire attached to the aerial biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Aye, it would. But I guess getting a real one is a lot safer! cheesy wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh cripes yeah! I'd hate to hear 'local man killed by inappropriate electrical doctoring advice from English film score fan' ( or however the Indian press would write it ) wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm playing STAR WARS right now, a shame it's not on the track Binary Sunset as there's a gorgeous sunset full of colours outside my window right now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2009
    http://www.lightningrodstuff.com/index_ … ge0003.htm

Should give you a little bit of an idea
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Oh cripes yeah! I'd hate to hear 'local man killed by inappropriate electrical doctoring advice from English film score fan' ( or however the Indian press would write it ) wink

Something with a sardar in it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009
    The weather here doesn't seem to be nearly so terrible at all. It is still in the 70's or 80's everyday.
    Thomas