• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008
    I LOVE the complete Hellboy... especially the dark choir parts in the beginning. This score is VERY polished and stylish. Strangely enough this is the only Beltrami score I have... besides Underworld. Any other Beltrami you guys would recommend?
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    ^ I´d add 3:10 to Yuma, Terminator 3, I Robot and The Crow: Salvation.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Is he? I think he's a more ambitious version of MV, really. Beltrami is closer to Goldsmith, I would say.

I agree. Tyler's only think that Tyler keep alive was Goldsmith main theme. The rest is a messy, incoherent, generic, MV inspired, below average effort.

Snoozerrific!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Talos wrote
    I LOVE the complete Hellboy... especially the dark choir parts in the beginning. This score is VERY polished and stylish. Strangely enough this is the only Beltrami score I have... besides Underworld. Any other Beltrami you guys would recommend?

The Scream Trilogy, Mimic, I Am Dina, and I Robot.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Is he? I think he's a more ambitious version of MV, really. Beltrami is closer to Goldsmith, I would say.

I agree. Tyler's only think that Tyler keep alive was Goldsmith main theme. The rest is a messy, incoherent, generic, MV inspired, below average effort.

Snoozerrific!

-Erik-

Well the amibtious MV thing is somethign that IMHO relates to the whole career. He tends to be VERY Zimmerish in his themes

Messy, incoherent, generic is something that for me fits his career in general too biggrin . But this time I actually *like* the action. The underscore's rather crappy I think I hear Batman Begins there biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorKrish4479
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008
    Brian Tyler has morphed into a John Powell/Hans Zimmer sound-alike, hasn't he? But if you go back to scores like Darkness Falls, The Hunted, and Timeline, Tyler followed Goldsmith so faithfully.

Beltrami's work on the other hand seems mostly generic and uninteresting.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    ...Beltrami is closer to Goldsmith, I would say.

I'd certainly agree that Beltrami could fill Goldsmith's shoes in terms of style.

I had hope that it would be Beltrami scoring Rambo from when it was first announced Stallone was making it.

I also had high hopes for Tyler's score? Lot's of negative comments on his score here, I can't comment having not heard it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKrish4479
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008 edited
    Has anyone here besides me have seen the film yet?
  2. I don't think so. Honestly, I planned to pass on the movie, when Tyler's name was announced.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Does anyone remember from SR that I proclaimed Brian Tyler to be a Zimmer/MV knockoff when I first started listening to his scores about a year ago? And everybody defended him. Seems I was right all along.

The funny thing is, now I've become a Tyler fan and everyone else seems to be lessening their fandom.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Demetris and Marcel aren't for sure.

I never liked him much and rather avoided his career until now and honestly, I must admit that Rambo, which I like in more parts than less, doesn't build more respect to me.

Tyler boasts about a photo with Zimmer (I think it's on his website) and yes, he has been influenced by him a lot it seems.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'm bored with Tyler. It just isn't fun anymore, his latest scores are lacking something that makes me want to listen more then 10 tracks (which is a lot already!). After AVPR, Rambo is another score I can't finish without being annoyed and bored. sad

Krish4479 wrote

That is so not true. Just last year he proved again he's more inventive than Tyler has ever been: 3:10 to Yuma.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    "Beltrami's work on the other hand seems mostly generic and uninteresting."

Couldn't disagree more. What have you heard so far by Beltrami?

As for Tyler being a POWELL (?!) / Zimmer rip-off: OPEN YOUR EARS PEOPLE.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. War is a bit similar to Powell maybe, but in general I do hear VERY strong Zimmer influence in action rhythm, thematic material and sometimes action material in full.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yes, he is influenced by Zimmer in parts (the Powell pleadings are way off imo) but at the same time, AVP:R, DARKNESS FALLS, TERROR TRACT, BUG, ANNAPOLIS, THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS: TOKYO DRIFT, the dark beast that is CONSTANTINE rejected or THE HUNTED and FRAILTY are stuff ZIMMER would have never written so don't get stuck on a couple of scores and generalize.

In the 1002nd time we've been all over this again, yes, Children of Dune, Partition and Rambo DO sound greatly influenced by Zimmer but these are merely 3 scores out of the impressive range (for his age and years in the business) of his work and you can't simply level out everything just because you hear MV chord processions in a couple of scores. His writing is way more complex and advanced than what 15 mv guys working 24/7 together could have ever pulled-off.
  5. Annapolis, Fast and Furious are his most MV influenced works to me.

I don't understand the thing with Powell and the advanced and complex writing you mention so much is really to me meaningless, because honestly, I don't find the right structure (look at the masters - JNH - EVEN in The Great Debaters' Union Meeting - Giacchino, Williams, Goldsmith, Goldenthal, Davis, Horner - their complexity is ALL about structure) to appreciate his technical merits in full, even if he is changing meters all the time.

Tyler channels Goldsmith and Zimmer and makes it his action style. Don't get personal about the fact that he is a very referential composer. Complex and advanced he may be but Rambo does pose more questions about what is his personal voice.

I don't want to get on about Rambo not referring Goldsmith or referring him too much, because really, if anything there would be *too little* Goldsmith, so for that reason alone Tyler would fail again as a homage. He decided to write it in a completely different way, which ended up to be a complex and advanced (I give Tyler that) version of a MV score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Krish4479 wrote
    Brian Tyler has morphed into a John Powell/Hans Zimmer sound-alike, hasn't he? But if you go back to scores like Darkness Falls, The Hunted, and Timeline, Tyler followed Goldsmith so faithfully.

I disagree with Beltrami's work being generic and uninteresting. Most of his work from Scream to his music in Hellboy is quite spectacular. Excellent themes and some very creating writing.

As for Tyler sounding like Goldsmith... i still don't hear it. Those early career scores you mentioned sound more like Christopher Young and James Horner.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

You don't hear ZIMMER in Rambo? OPEN YOUR EARS!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    His writing is way more complex and advanced than what 15 mv guys working 24/7 together could have ever pulled-off.

That maybe true but it doesn't mean its any good?

-Erik-
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

Actually Demetris acknowledges that.

But there is more to Tyler and Zimmer than Rambo. His whole thematic structure screams Zimmer - Children of Dune, Paparazzi, Annapolis, Neela's theme in Fast and Furious (I in fact started to see it being similar to Injection from MI2). So what Tyler's more complex and advanced? That doesn't count. It's a case of Tyler having a musical education and Zimmer not having it. Still I don't believe Tyler could pull off TTRL, Da Vinci Code, Hannibal.

That's why I am so critical about Tyler.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … r/#Item_15

"Yes, he is influenced by Zimmer in parts (the Powell pleadings are way off imo) (...)
    yes, Children of Dune, Partition and Rambo DO sound greatly influenced by Zimmer (...)"

•  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    "Brian Tyler has morphed into a John Powell/Hans Zimmer sound-alike, hasn't he? But if you go back to scores like Darkness Falls, The Hunted, and Timeline, Tyler followed Goldsmith so faithfully."

When I heard Darkness Falls for the first time, I was very happy that there was finally a new composer out there that I found interesting. The score was so agressive and energetic, I really looked forward hearing more of Tyler. Loved Frailty too, Timeline as well.

However I have to admit that I like the Tyler in "Darkness Falls mode" more than Tyler in "Zimmer mode". Simply because I don't like the simplistic style of music of Zimmer/MV in general. So really I hope that Tyler will move away from the MV sound and refocus on that Horner/Goldsmith/Young sound. That sound made him popular to start with. I still have high hopes for him, would be sad to see him doing more MV type of scores.
    • CommentAuthorKrish4479
    What do you guys think of Tyler's score to Bug? This score shows it usually up to the director to challenge the composer to write something ambitious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Krish4479 wrote
    What do you guys think of Tyler's score to Bug? This score shows it usually up to the director to challenge the composer to write something ambitious.

http://musiconfilm.net/get_review.php?id=170 cool
    • CommentAuthorKrish4479
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2008 edited
    A response to an earlier post, I have only listened to a couple of Beltrami's scores, T3 and Crow: Salvation. The rest of his score I have heard sound clips here and there and they don't impress me that much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You've listened to too little. If you can give several careful listens to HELLBOY, I AM DINA, UNDERWORLD: EVOLUTION, LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD, XXX:STATE OF UNION and of course T3 again, i think you're in for some surprises wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    Ahhh... Just listened for the first time to Tyler's "Finishing the Game"... now THIS is the Tyler I like.

Groovy, funky-odd ball-sexy-saxy disco music. Its terrific fun! Check it out, its like a collection of 70's inspired wacky music. Very nicely done Tyler!

Pawel... don't know if you like wacky music... but this is Tyler in top form. But don't expect an orchestral score... Quite a funny listen... especially while walking around in some typical Hong Kong neighborhoods/neon lights areas. (just did that... ha ha - I live there)
    • CommentAuthorKrish4479
    "However I have to admit that I like the Tyler in "Darkness Falls mode" more than Tyler in "Zimmer mode". Simply because I don't like the simplistic style of music of Zimmer/MV in general. So really I hope that Tyler will move away from the MV sound and refocus on that Horner/Goldsmith/Young sound. That sound made him popular to start with. I still have high hopes for him, would be sad to see him doing more MV type of scores." -Talos

Fortunately, Tyler is moving away from these big budget Hollywood film projects at least for awhile.
    The Heaven Project and the Killing Room are two indie films which Tyler will pursue drama once again and give us something promising hopefully.
  7. Scoring:

"The Killing Room"
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2008
    New interview with BRIAN TYLER on RAMBO [by Randall Larson]

This week Soundtrax interviews Brian Tyler about his close encounter with Rambo, the latest incarnation of Sylvester Stallone’s iconic action hero. Tyler discusses working with the Jerry Goldsmith theme and scoring action, Rambo style.

New interview about the Rambo music, more at:
    http://www.buysoundtrax.com/larsons_soundtrax.html