• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008
    I just acquired a set of all his symphonies on Naxos with Kees Bakels conducting the Bournemouth Symphony. I believe the entire set is being offered in the US for $29.95, not a bad deal at all.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I just acquired a set of all his symphonies on Naxos with Kees Bakels conducting the Bournemouth Symphony. I believe the entire set is being offered in the US for $29.95, not a bad deal at all.
    Thomas smile

That's a very good price.

My own favourite version of RVW # 7 is by Bernard Haitink. I'm still waiting for Richard Hickox to complete his Vaughan Willams cycle with the LSO, only # 7 to finish with and I've loved all his versions.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DONA NOBIS PACEM - Ralph Vaughan Williams

A cantata divided into six pieces written for soloists, choir and orchestra and it's absolutely gorgeous, yet another RVW work I want to familirise myself with more.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Of course I have the Gamba/BBC Philharmonic recording on Chandos of the film version. The timing is very close by the way, within a minute. In my LP's there is a Boult recording also.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Of course I have the Gamba/BBC Philharmonic recording on Chandos of the film version. The timing is very close by the way, within a minute. In my LP's there is a Boult recording also.
    Thomas smile

You are absolutely right Tom, I was surprised to find out the tempo with the film version was nearly spot on.

NP : FANTASIA ON THE OLD 104th PSALM - Ralph Vaughan Williams

London Philharmonic Choir & Orchestra with Peter Katin on piano, conducted by Sir Adrian Boult.

Beautiful.
  1. Timmer, which piece should I start my adventure with RVW with? I'm not familiar with the composer yet, but I am very keen to start being!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer, which piece should I start my adventure with RVW with? I'm not familiar with the composer yet, but I am very keen to start being!

cool beer

Fantasia On A Theme By Thomas Tallis

The Lark Ascending

Symphony # 3 'Pastoral'

Symphony # 5

Symphony # 7 'Antarctica'

In fact, you should be able to get box set with all 9 symphonies for cheap which include other great works besides.

I believe there are box sets by Adrian Boult, Bernard Haitink and Vernon Handley and all are great. For modern recordings go for Haitink's and Handley's.

See also Tom's post a few posts back for the set he bought. NAXOS are a brilliant and very affordable label.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd add English Folk Song Suite to that list... trust me, those melodies will stay with you for life. (That particular work is RVW in fun, bombastic mode and is probably familiar ground for a score fan.)
  2. franz_conrad wrote
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    NP: Albertine - Brooke Fraser

An amazing and lovely singer/songwriter from New Zealand.

She has a very lovely voice, Brooke. Her songs tend not to work so well when others sing them, which I think says something about her unique sound. (Though I've never met her, she actually goes to my church.)

Wow, that's cool. Does she ever sing at your church? Must be a big place, I can't really imagine since I go to a very small church, yours must be a very large one. smile How fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    I'd add English Folk Song Suite to that list... trust me, those melodies will stay with you for life. (That particular work is RVW in fun, bombastic mode and is probably familiar ground for a score fan.)

I actually played that piece a couple years ago. Lots of fun. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2008 edited
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote

A couple of years ago?

Classic. biggrin Do you not think after two years another listen is in order?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote

A couple of years ago?

Classic. biggrin Do you not think after two years another listen is in order?

Sorry; let me clarify: I played/performed the work a couple of years ago. As in, I actually played the first horn part in band (which was fun). wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2008
    Ah, that makes more sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    Ah, that makes more sense.

Yep. beer
  3. Filmscoregirl wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    NP: Albertine - Brooke Fraser

An amazing and lovely singer/songwriter from New Zealand.

She has a very lovely voice, Brooke. Her songs tend not to work so well when others sing them, which I think says something about her unique sound. (Though I've never met her, she actually goes to my church.)

Wow, that's cool. Does she ever sing at your church? Must be a big place, I can't really imagine since I go to a very small church, yours must be a very large one. smile How fun.

She does sing at the church, yeah. The church is reasonably well known for its music, which has something to do with her. (Ever heard of Hillsong?)

NP: Tours de Monde / Tours de Ciel (Delerue)

Magnificent romantic composition for an observatory exhibition about the stars.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Absolutely!

William, you played it cool ....now find it out and play it! spin smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008 edited
    NP : MOON SAFARI - Air

Love this album! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008 edited
    For American music one could cast a vote for Howard Hanson. I just purchased this fine 5 CD Mercury Living Presence Stereo set from Berkshire. http://www2.broinc.com/search.php?row=0 … filter=all

Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008
    sdtom wrote
    For American music one could cast a vote for Howard Hanson. I just purchased this fine 5 CD Mercury Living Presence Stereo set from Berkshire. http://www2.broinc.com/search.php?row=0 … filter=all

Thomas smile

Hanson is a superb composer, I would have taken a lot longer to dicover him if not for the use of his 2nd symphony in the film ALIEN.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008
    Well worth exploring for a $20.00 bill.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2008
    NP: SUITE FOR LARGE ORCHESTRA...Edward Macdowell. Though a New Englander there is a definite influence of the German composers of Raff and Brahms.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE PLANETS - Gustav Holst

Sublime work! This version is Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What a fun night biggrin

NP : SYMPHONY #3 'Pastoral' - Ralph Vaughan Williams

This is the Vernon Handley version and it's gorgeous. Music don't come better than this cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MUSIC OF THE SPHERES - Mike Oldfield

Excellent work, much of this would fit an Olympics ceremony vey well. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DAPHNIS ET CHLOE - Maurice Ravel

A fabulous fantasy masterpiece!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm too easily influenced:

Bolero Maurice Jarre.... I mean Ravel

A childhood favourite of mine.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I'm too easily influenced:

Bolero Maurice Jarre.... I mean Ravel

A childhood favourite of mine.

It's a great piece of music though it took me years before I could play it after Torvil and friggin Dean used it for they're ice skating daftiness slant
  4. I've recently fallen in love with Ravel's Spanish Rhapsody, an incredible work.

NP: Slow Food (Elena Katz-Chernin)

One of Australia's most famous female composers. This album consists of solo piano works. No austere classicism here - it's all tuneful and enjoyable. 'Phoenix Story' is probably the strongest work, with her piano-only version of 'Eliza Aria' and 'Road to Harvest Show' also highlights.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2008 edited
    Rapsodie Espagnole is lovely smile beer

NP : FORWARDS - The Egg

Not a single bad track on this album, and some of the best chill out music you'll hear. Highly recommended to anyone who loves Zero 7.

I've seen them live a few times. As a band they're live set just blows you away, its a very raw vibrant and cooking sound that's totally at odds with the produced studio 'chill out' sound of the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2008
    shocked MUST. FIND.

cool