• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2009
    NP: The Tudors - Trevor Morris
    Henry VIII is one of the most fascinating personalities of the English history. The TV series is pretty good and the lead actor (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) is one of the most handsome men I've ever seen. The music is very atmospheric and I absolutely adore A Historic Love. It gives me a sense of flying.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Star Trek: Insurrection (Selections) - Jerry Goldsmith

What irritates the piss out of me about this score is the generic US Marshall's action music... especially during the "Drone Attack." But there are quality moments in this score so I've decided just to listen to those. Here is my 90's Varese Sarabande special personal playlist.

1. Ba'hu Village (6:57) <-- probably one of the most surprising main titles in the entire series. Gorgeous music
    2. In Custody (1:09)
    3. Children's Story (1:51)
    4. New Sight (5:47) <-- the score's standout cue!
    5. The Riker Maneuver (3:13)
    6. The Healing Process/End Credits (12:39)

This will do just fine!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    I absolutely adore A Historic Love. It gives me a sense of flying.

Stavroula, if you like that track, you should give Trevor Jones/Randy Edelman's Last Of The Mohicans a shot (especially the Jones composed part). Should be right up your alley!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2009 edited
    NP: Searching For Bobby Fischer - James Horner

When Horner is inspired there is really no one these days that can top him when it comes down to dramatic scoring. He literally hits all the right chords... musically and emotionally. Having recently watched this fine film (again) to pay particular attention to the music, Horner was able to put into musical terms a child's innocence. His use of the oboe and light glistening piano it just absolutely perfect for the scenes it accompanies. And away from the picture the music is still as strong. And I just want to tear up every time I hear "Early Victories." Those rolling piano chords which go seamlessly into the scores main theme... not once but TWICE... makes for spectacular and proud film music!

And then where does Horner come up with the theme in "Josh Vs. Dad?" You never hear it again. A delightful tune for piano and harp! Just magnificently orchestrated with a perfect underlining flute line. Ah, but there is a wonderful variation on the theme in "Trip To Chicago." Love it, love it, LOVE IT!

And is it just me or is Horner the best of the best when it comes down to a French Horn solo? Just listen to the opening of "Washington Square."

All I can say is that Searching For Bobby Fischer is easily one of Horner's finest film scores!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    I absolutely adore A Historic Love. It gives me a sense of flying.

Stavroula, if you like that track, you should give Trevor Jones/Randy Edelman's Last Of The Mohicans a shot (especially the Jones composed part). Should be right up your alley!

Martijn dear The Last of the Mohicans is the first ever score I bought myself and it's in my cd player right now! kiss
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin

Well, I guess I guessed right then!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn wrote
    biggrin

Well, I guess I guessed right then!

As always.... wink kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I was playing: Rambo III

Very Sad it's performed by this orchestra. Because it's a great way to finish this trilogy. While Rambo 2 was more exiting and the theme more heroic, Rambo III is richiedt in themes and orchestrations.

NP: Weather man ( Zimmer)
    Dude, It's becoming one of my favourites Zimmer scores. Some day I have to arrange the 2 cd's into a better listening experience.

I love this Martinez Sound, with Zimmer's thematic knowlege.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Erik Woods wrote

What irritates the piss out of me about this score is the generic US Marshall's action music... especially during the "Drone Attack."

-Erik-

I adore those two synth-filled action cues. There's nothing generic about them. At least not to my ears.

Insurrection is quite good compared to the one that followed, Nemesis. But I wasn't always its admirer, I prefered his more straightforward action scores of the time. Insurrection has a more sentimental vibe to it, which I appreciate more and more.

Still wondering how the new Trek will fit into the franchise, film- and score-wise.

Nautilus wrote
    I was playing: Rambo III

Very Sad it's performed by this orchestra. Because it's a great way to finish this trilogy. While Rambo 2 was more exiting and the theme more heroic, Rambo III is richiedt in themes and orchestrations.

And not to forget much more sentimental. So a more rewarding score overall. It's my fave of the three.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    NP:Brad Fidel-The Serpent and the Rainbow
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

What irritates the piss out of me about this score is the generic US Marshall's action music... especially during the "Drone Attack."

-Erik-

I adore those two synth-filled action cues. There's nothing generic about them. At least not to my ears.

If you are familiar with Goldsmith's action style at that time you'll see where I'm coming from.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

If you are familiar with Goldsmith's action style at that time you'll see where I'm coming from.

-Erik-

I'm familiar with his action style from that time and I DO see where you're coming from... I just happen to really enjoy his 'generic US Marshals' action music'. A lot.

I even like US Marshals.
  1. Me too, but I don't give Marshals half the spins I give to Insurrection.

US Marshals: Or how to write an action score around just one theme, Goldsmith could do it with ease...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    Me too, but I don't give Marshals half the spins I give to Insurrection.

Same here. I LOVE Insurrection (the complete score).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

I'm familiar with his action style from that time and I DO see where you're coming from... I just happen to really enjoy his 'generic US Marshals' action music'. A lot.

I even like US Marshals.

I think what really irritates me is that 6 note motif. Baa Baa Ba Ba Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Ba! vomit Almost as annoying as Horner's four note danger motif!

NP: The Charge of the Light Brigade from Historical Romances - Max Steiner
    Richard Kaufman conducting the Brandenburg Philharmonic Orchestra

I only wanted to hear selections from this score and I actually prefer the recording on this album to the Tribute Film Classics version. A lot warmer with a bit more Umph! Now, you wanna talk about action scoring... the 9 minute "Charge" action cue is how it is done ladies and gentleman. Thrilling!

Moving onto...

NP: The Last of the Mohicans - Trevor Jones & Randy Edelman
    Joel McNeely and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra

Did you EVER think in your wildest dreams that this score would ever receive a re-recording? Well, I'm glad Varese did. I prefer this more cohesive representation of the score over the original soundtrack recording. And fully orchestral versions of Edelman's material... yeah baby! Great score and great re-recording! A candidate for my next re-recordings show!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Matt C wrote
    NP: Until September (John Barry)

I'm swooning already. The album essentially puts Barry's beautiful theme through endless variations, but with some unique orchestral color (such as the harmonica and Barry's Bond brass clusters) I don't mind it one bit. A wonderful little score that doesn't overstay its welcome.

No, but I do have his completely absurd Transporter scores.

John Barry wrote completely absurd Transporter scores?

lol

At least then he would have jobs... slant

Clearly I was pissed when I quoted that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Silverado - Bruce Broughton

The 80's marked the return of some great western movies .
    One of my fav's is Silverado .
    The score is a thrilling ride just like the movie .
    That main theme is just so powerful and full of energy .
    I love it !
    YIHAAAAA !! punk
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Baked Potato George Dawes

Baked potato changed my life
    baked potato showed me the way
    If you want to know what is wrong from right
    You must listen to what potato say

Do be good, don’t be bad
    Thank you baked potato!

Genius.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Searching For Bobby Fischer - James Horner

When Horner is inspired there is really no one these days that can top him when it comes down to dramatic scoring. He literally hits all the right chords... musically and emotionally. Having recently watched this fine film (again) to pay particular attention to the music, Horner was able to put into musical terms a child's innocence. His use of the oboe and light glistening piano it just absolutely perfect for the scenes it accompanies. And away from the picture the music is still as strong. And I just want to tear up every time I hear "Early Victories." Those rolling piano chords which go seamlessly into the scores main theme... not once but TWICE... makes for spectacular and proud film music!

And then where does Horner come up with the theme in "Josh Vs. Dad?" You never hear it again. A delightful tune for piano and harp! Just magnificently orchestrated with a perfect underlining flute line. Ah, but there is a wonderful variation on the theme in "Trip To Chicago." Love it, love it, LOVE IT!

And is it just me or is Horner the best of the best when it comes down to a French Horn solo? Just listening to the opening of "Washington Square."

All I can say is that Searching For Bobby Fischer is easily one of Horner's finest film scores!

-Erik-

I completely agree, gorgeous score - might give it a spin right now. cool
  2. NP: Without Apparent Motive (Ennio Morricone)

how many scores did this guy wrote?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Baked Potato George Dawes

Baked potato changed my life
    baked potato showed me the way
    If you want to know what is wrong from right
    You must listen to what potato say

Do be good, don’t be bad
    Thank you baked potato!

Genius.

You may be interested in this thread I started at another board.

http://mmuk64.proboards42.com/index.cgi … hread=3845
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Shooting Stars...the only British celebrity quiz show that not only never elicited so much as a smile from me, but actively annoyed me. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Shooting Stars...the only British celebrity quiz show that not only never elicited so much as a smile from me, but actively annoyed me. slant

On the other hand, I have never laughed so much in my life as I did at its first episode.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Fountain - Clint Mansell

Really F'N good!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Erik, what you said about Searching For Bobby Fischer is so true. Beautiful scoring!
    Your comments on ST: Insurrection I agree with also.
    Especially the "Baa Baa Ba Ba Baaaaaaaa Ba" motif you speak of. Did that sneak into Timeline also?
    As for Mansell's The Fountain I've played it a couple of times but it hasn't really grabbed me. I'll try again later!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Atham wrote
    Your comments on ST: Insurrection I agree with also.
    Especially the "Baa Baa Ba Ba Baaaaaaaa Ba" motif you speak of. Did that sneak into Timeline also?

And Chain Reaction! And maybe elsewhere too.

The Lion King

Excellent album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2009
    Martijn wrote

What British celebrity quiz shows do you like?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Southall wrote
    The Lion King

Excellent album.

punk punk punk punk punk

[spoiler]*tried to say something about complete score but shut up*[/spoiler]

NP: Muppet Treasure Island - film composers & songwriters

I'm getting addicted to this album... especially Treasure Island and Land Ho. And Shiver My Timbers. I love Boom Shakaraka too! biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

How odd!??
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote

On the other hand, I have never laughed so much in my life as I did at its first episode.

The early shows were incredibly inspired and totally floored me! punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt