• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2009 edited
    NP: Maro - Aram Mandossian

I don't know if it's because of a subconscious dissatisfaction with what's being released currently but I'm finding myself searching for the more obscure titles.

Trawling through CD Baby this morning I came across this gem of a score from a composer who - until now - I hadn't heard of before (though he has done some orchestrating/conducting on Lost).

A short score at 30 minutes that features some hauntingly beautiful solo female (from Carin Gilfry) as well as some effective ethnic percussion/winds. The music is quite strong as it had to support a 40-minute short movie that was more-or-less wordless, relying on images and music to tell the story.

I'd certainly recommend this title to everyone.

Maro website:
    http://www.marofilm.com/maroflash.html
    The trailer here gives a good idea of the music.

A (poor) video of the recording sessions:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0RuK7ZQb8s

CD Baby has 5 clips from various tracks (download is 196kbps mp3):
    http://cdbaby.com/cd/aram

Aram's website:
    http://www.aram-mandossian.com/main.htm
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2009
    Pane e Liberta - Ennio Morricone

Familiar, but still very good.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Coraline - Bruno Coulais

The best score of 2009!

(granted it's also the only score I own from 2009 so far, but I can only think of a few upcoming projects that I can imagine surpassing this)

Is it anything like a Burton/Elfman score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - Harry Gregson-Williams

I don't like it nearly as much as I did when I first heard it, though Miraz Crowned still manages to send chills running up my spine.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BALTO - James Horner

cool

I was influenced into playing this after watching IRON WILL on Channel 5 this afternoon, absolutely loved Joel McNeely's score and it has now become a 'MUST HAVE'.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: Amerika - Basil Poledouris

Not his best, but still very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace - John Williams

Anakin's Theme is gorgeous! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Jaws 3D - Alan Parker

Mr. Parker decided not to re-hash all of John Williams' excellent music for the first two Jaws films
    and instead he brought us a completely new score with its own themes , that makes more sparce (but effective) use of the classic Shark theme and even introduces a new shark theme .
    Definitely worth a listen if you haven't already ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  2. Eric wrote
    Definitely worth a listen if you haven't already...

NP: Jaws 3-D - Alan Parker

Not quite a "completely new score" - there's several references to Williams' music. References but of a length that probably just avoided the need for some copyright issues!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. The Spiderwick Chronicles (Horner)

Not a bad one, but he did this sort of magical fantasy thing better in the past. The first part is a little understated and deja-vu, however the second part is beautiful, with exciting orchestrations and uplifting themes. A score that grows with each listen, but it'll never attain that magical Casper-feeling for me (which I consider to be very similar to this one, despite the obvious rip).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    I was influenced into playing this after watching IRON WILL on Channel 5 this afternoon, absolutely loved Joel McNeely's score and it has now become a 'MUST HAVE'.

It's FANTASTIC!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Spirit - David Newman

Pretty average stuff. A couple of tracks which allow it to rise above downright mediocrity, but (more than) a couple where you have to wonder what they're doing on the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Gold - Elmer Bernstein

So camp, but so satisfying! (The musical equivalent of Martijn?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Let the Right One In - Johan Söderqvist

Now this one IS a rare beauty.

Thank you.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Live Free Or Die Hard - Marco Beltrami & Marcus Trumpp

I love this score. It's the biggest, dumbest, most popcorn-filled action score I've heard in ages. Not a single theme, just Kamen's simple terrorist motif and a four note motif for McClain. To be honest, it doesn't need anything more.

Ridiculous action tracks like "Shootout", "Copter Chase", "Hurry Up", "The F-35" to name a few. The over the top "Love On A Rope" cues that went unused in the end. And "All Aboard", the best cue of the movie. Awesome!

The quieter tracks are a bit dull, but they provide nice breathing room in between the four minute plus action tracks.

Kudos to Trumpp, who from the sound of things wrote the majority of the score, including "The F-35" finale cue.

ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Let the Right One In - Johan Söderqvist

Now this one IS a rare beauty.

Thank you.

You're welcome!

http://www.movie-wave.net/titles/let_right_one_in.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

It's FANTASTIC!

Quite. Just not as good Balto in my not-so-humble opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

It's FANTASTIC!

Indeed. But then, not many scores are!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

It's FANTASTIC!

I was not expecting an agreement there at all! As wonderful and uplifting a score as Iron Will is, it doesn't quite reach the heady emotional heights of Horner's themes for Balto. (Helped by Davis's excellent orchestrations... I think.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

It's FANTASTIC!

I was not expecting an agreement there at all! As wonderful and uplifting a score as Iron Will is, it doesn't quite reach the heady emotional heights of Horner's themes for Balto. (Helped by Davis's excellent orchestrations... I think.)

As one of the world's biggest Horner fans, even I couldn't fail to acknowledge Mahler's contribution to the score (and I'm sure there are others I don't know about), but purely on its own terms, it's a fine achievement. This and The Land Before Time are balletic, a quite brilliant achievement to write such coherent music for animations - for Horner to carry his through-composing style over into this genre - and to pull it off with such success - is something deserving of the highest praise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Film Works (promo) Joel McNeely

Indicative listening for up and coming film composers.
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    Np:The Hollow man-Jerry Goldsmith
    check the overture and the first"reincarnation" scene!
    enjoy biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Anthony wrote
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Coraline - Bruno Coulais

The best score of 2009!

(granted it's also the only score I own from 2009 so far, but I can only think of a few upcoming projects that I can imagine surpassing this)

Is it anything like a Burton/Elfman score?

Like, totally. smile If it wasn't for that distinctive Coulais sound it manages to maintain, I'd swear it WAS a Burton/Elfman score.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Out of Africa - John Barry

Delightful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steel Magnolias - Georges Delerue

Has cinema ever received a more beautiful love theme than this? Absolutely, unbelievably stunning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2009
    Southall wrote

Has cinema ever received a more beautiful love theme than this? Absolutely, unbelievably stunning.

Probably my favorite Delerue theme! Magnificent!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    kokodezil wrote
    Np:The Hollow man-Jerry Goldsmith
    check the overture and the first"reincarnation" scene!
    enjoy biggrin

A fine score, it's great on CD.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Probably my favorite Delerue theme! Magnificent!

-Erik-

Couldn't agree more. What a brilliant craftsman of Melody and Emotion Delerue was. Talking about...rare beauty wink Seriously.
    • CommentAuthorkokodezil
    NP:Puppet Master-Richard Band
    1989 score,great beginning!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE - John Williams

cool