• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2009
    Anthony wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Matt C wrote
    NP: Until September (John Barry)

I'm swooning already. The album essentially puts Barry's beautiful theme through endless variations, but with some unique orchestral color (such as the harmonica and Barry's Bond brass clusters) I don't mind it one bit. A wonderful little score that doesn't overstay its welcome.

No, but I do have his completely absurd Transporter scores.

John Barry wrote completely absurd Transporter scores?

lol

At least then he would have jobs... slant

Clearly I was pissed when I quoted that.

No shit!??? shocked wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Zaïna, Cavalière D'Atlas - Cyril Morin

Moroccan film about a north African girl and -I guess- horses.
    Obviously loads of north African instrumental influences (mainly the oud), but packed very nicely into quite the Romantic score. Alternating north African influences with rich orchestral tracks and moody synthesised cues, Morin weaves a very evocative and enjoyable tapestry of music.
    Lovely, slightly wistful, very melodic indeed, this is a nice little surprise from one of France's finest talents.

Fantastic! One of my fave scores! And one of the reasons I stumbled on ScoreReviews. I searched on the web if anyone else had heard this score and saw your post there. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Shooting Stars...the only British celebrity quiz show that not only never elicited so much as a smile from me, but actively annoyed me. slant

On the other hand, I have never laughed so much in my life as I did at its first episode.

The early shows were incredibly inspired and totally floored me! punk cool

:uvavu:
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Fountain - Clint Mansell

Really F'N good!

-Erik-

Couldn't agree more! That stuff is haunting!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BhelPuri wrote
    Martijn wrote

Moroccan film about a north African girl and -I guess- horses.
    Obviously loads of north African instrumental influences (mainly the oud), but packed very nicely into quite the Romantic score. Alternating north African influences with rich orchestral tracks and moody synthesised cues, Morin weaves a very evocative and enjoyable tapestry of music.
    Lovely, slightly wistful, very melodic indeed, this is a nice little surprise from one of France's finest talents.

Fantastic! One of my fave scores! And one of the reasons I stumbled on ScoreReviews. I searched on the web if anyone else had heard this score and saw your post there. punk

I love Cyril Morin's score but after a couple of those, they all sound the same confused
  1. kokodezil wrote
    NP:Brad Fidel-The Serpent and the Rainbow

Was it an old Cuban movie?

and more importantly

Is it available on CD?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, but I think Raiders Of The Lost Ark is?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Martijn wrote

I love Cyril Morin's score but after a couple of those, they all sound the same confused

Well, I sure love THIS one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Martijn wrote

Really? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Martijn wrote

Well, I sure love THIS one.

Is it a recent release?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    2005, I think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2009 edited
    NP: Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimarron - Hans Zimmer

I never get tired to hear Homeland theme... simple, memorable & beautiful. I truly love it.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    kokodezil wrote

and more importantly

Is it available on CD?

It WAS available on CD ( Varese I think? ), I believe it goes for a high dollar now.

The film was set in Haiti, it's about Zombies and is directed by Wes Craven.....it's a damn good movie too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Never heard of it!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

Never heard of it!?

It's available on Compact Disc.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Phantom David Newman

'The Rescue' is one of the most awesome tracks I've ever heard. No exaggeration!

I don't have many of his scores at all, but I definitely want more stuff like this. Can anyone suggest any scores?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ One of the greatest comic book film scores of all time! And don't forget about that fooking amazing finale!

As for David Newman suggestions...

Anastasia is one of my favorites. Big old fashioned massive orchestral choral score!

The Brave Little Toaster - A fun adventure score!

Galaxy Quest - A wonderful tip of the cap to the Star Trek scores!

Hoffa - Brilliant main theme and one of his best dramatic scores!

Jingle All The Way - Big meaty Christmas comedy score with a superb main title theme (a la The Phantom)

Mr. Destiny - Really, really good!

War of the Roses - Could very well be his best comedy score. A very dark black comedy score!

102 Dalmatians - Just as big as Kamen's original. Lots of fun! Would love to see an official release of this one... diggy diggy dog diggy diggy dog!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thanks Erik! I've only got two of them (Anastasia and Galaxy Quest), so I'll definitely check out a few of the others. When D. Newman's good, he's REALLY GOOD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: The Spiderwick Chronicles - James Horner

Good standard Horner. A bit dark but enjoyable as always.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  3. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    kokodezil wrote

and more importantly

Is it available on CD?

It WAS available on CD ( Varese I think? ), I believe it goes for a high dollar now.

The film was set in Haiti, it's about Zombies and is directed by Wes Craven.....it's a damn good movie too.

You did notice the typo in Fiedel's name, didn't you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Commies... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    kokodezil wrote

and more importantly

Is it available on CD?

You did notice the typo in Fiedel's name, didn't you?

Damn Youtube!

-Erik-
  4. You think it's Youtube's fault?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    You think it's Youtube's fault?

rolleyes

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Passengers - Edward Shearmur

Not impressed at all!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

Not impressed at all!

-Erik-

There's nothing there to be impressed by...careless stuff, total pass.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Steven wrote
    The Phantom David Newman

'The Rescue' is one of the most awesome tracks I've ever heard. No exaggeration!

I don't have many of his scores at all, but I definitely want more stuff like this. Can anyone suggest any scores?

Galaxy Quest and part of The Spirit.

I'd recommend Serenity too, but that's looked down a lot by Newman enthusiasts and score fans in general. However, it works very well in the film.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    The Phantom David Newman

Erik's listed Newman's best stuff, but with the exception of Galaxy Quest I don't think any of them are quite in the class of The Phantom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Not impressed at all!

-Erik-

There's nothing there to be impressed by...careless stuff, total pass.

I wouldn't say it's careless. It's just not all that interesting. The Thomas Newman vibe also turns me off... but I'm sure a lot of time and care went into writing the score and I'm sure it's exactly what the director wanted.

EDIT - I really like the "Epiphany" cue.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    The Phantom David Newman

Erik's listed Newman's best stuff, but with the exception of Galaxy Quest I don't think any of them are quite in the class of The Phantom.

Add Anastasia to the list! IMHO, it's up there with The Phantom!

-Erik-