• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2008
    I am generally not greatly into GEORGE FENTON either mate, but the EARTH score (double CD) really blew me away, such a brilliant work it is.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2008 edited
    ^^^ Seconded (the bit about Earth, I do actually like the guy's work in general too).

Alexandre Desplat
    Craig Armstrong
    John Ottman
    Graeme Revell
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I can understand not being into the ones you mention (although i'd strongly urge you to listen to the personal albums (non film music) by Craig Armstrong as they contain some very good material) but not being into DESPLAT? What exactly have you heard by him?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thomas wrote
    Bruce Broughton

Ah-ha! Another one for me. His stuff sounds good, but it sound a little...cheesy...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Syriana (which I liked some bits of)
    The Queen
    Hostage
    The Golden Compass

I know, not that many. shame Can you recommend anything better than these?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    LSH wrote
    The Queen
    Hostage
    The Golden Compass

It depends what you're after. I think his thriller scores are the best - namely Hostage and Firewall. Hostage is the better score out of the two, but you never know, you might like Firewall...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    LSH wrote
    The Queen
    Hostage
    The Golden Compass

It depends what you're after. I think his thriller scores are the best - namely Hostage and Firewall. Hostage is the better score out of the two, but you never know, you might like Firewall...

Yeah, those will stun you if you're into bombastic old-school and heavily refined orchestral action a la Goldsmith.

If you're after sentimental, lyrical and dramatically melodic stuff you'll probably like

GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING (absolute must-have)
    THE UPSIDE OF ANGER
    LUST, CAUTION
    THE PAINTED VEIL
    BIRTH

while Michael will be glad (i am sure) to fill you in on his French scores, which are equally good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    LSH wrote
    The Queen
    Hostage
    The Golden Compass

Yeah, those will stun you if you're into bombastic old-school and heavily refined orchestral action a la Goldsmith.

If you're after sentimental, lyrical and dramatically melodic stuff you'll probably like

GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING (absolute must-have)
    THE UPSIDE OF ANGER
    LUST, CAUTION
    THE PAINTED VEIL
    BIRTH

while Michael will be glad (i am sure) to fill you in on his French scores, which are equally good.

I can recommend in addition of the aboves The Luzhin Defence. A brilliant score!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I forgot The Painted Veil. Another excellent one, and not what I expected on my first listen.
  1. Patrick Doyle, especially his overblown adventure/fatasy scores.
    Brian Tyler (too loud)
    Danny Elfman (too noisy)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2008
    Antineutrino wrote

Brian Tyler (too loud)

Have you heard his calmer scores? (Partition, the greatest game ever played, children of dune?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

Brian Tyler (too loud)

Have you heard his calmer scores? (Partition, the greatest game ever played, children of dune?)

Ditto. The non loud side of Tyler is as good as the loud one (if not better).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2008 edited
    Yes, I also know some of the other Tyler scores. While I don't really like them, they're better.
    • CommentAuthorDon
    I never got into Elliot Goldenthal. I tried Interview With The Vampire, Michael Collins, Batman & Robin and Frida. Still, he leaves me cold. To me his music is so unemotional, I can't stand it.

Others? Randy Newman, Trevor Rabin, Alex North (with few exceptions), Lalo Schifrin... Every now and then I try some music from them but quickly change to others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Don wrote
    Others? Randy Newman, Trevor Rabin, Alex North (with few exceptions), Lalo Schifrin... Every now and then I try some music from them but quickly change to others.

From Randy Newman try Awakenings and Avalon. I am not a big fan of him either but these two scores are great.
    • CommentAuthorDon
    From Randy Newman try Awakenings and Avalon. I am not a big fan of him either but these two scores are great.

Hmmm... that might be a good idea after all. I remember I liked the movie (Awakenings) when it came out. Yes, it played pretty much on one's heart strings but it had decent acting and scriptwriting, as far as I recall. Don't remember the music at all. Thanks for the tip, I might check this one out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2008 edited
    Elliot Goldenthal UNEMOTIONAL? Why am i not surprised you haven't heard and / or mentioned FINAL FANTASY: THE SPIRITS WITHIN, THE GOOD THIEF, TITUS? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Unemotional? Goldenthal? When he wants to be emotional with his music, get the tissues and a tub of ice cream at the ready.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Don wrote
    I never got into Elliot Goldenthal. I tried Interview With The Vampire, Michael Collins, Batman & Robin and Frida. Still, he leaves me cold. To me his music is so unemotional, I can't stand it.

I say fair enough Don, some things just don't "click" with people, you can't force yourself to like something you don't.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Fair enough indeed, but AFTER someone at least tried something first wink And by something i mean what is widely considered as Goldenthal's best works and which i don't see in the list above (not that i would ever agree that there ARE inferior Goldenthal works but still wink )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Fair enough indeed, but AFTER someone at least tried something first wink And by something i mean what is widely considered as Goldenthal's best works and which i don't see in the list above (not that i would ever agree that there ARE inferior Goldenthal works but still wink )

We're on the same side concerning Goldenthal D, but if EG's style never clicked with Don I can't see your recommendations making much difference.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'd really love to see if he'd consider GOLDENTHAL's music unemotional after he's heard the love theme from FINAL FANTASY or the entire score to TITUS. wink
    • CommentAuthorDon
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2008 edited
    I'd really love to see if he'd consider GOLDENTHAL's music unemotional after he's heard the love theme from FINAL FANTASY or the entire score to TITUS.

Granted, I admit that I didn't listen to Final Fantasy apart from the movie. I figured it didn't do anything to me since I fell asleep in the theater when FF was shown. Maybe I should give it a chance after all. Still, there are so many composers out there that almost instantly "click" with me, it might take some time smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2008
    Don wrote
    I'd really love to see if he'd consider GOLDENTHAL's music unemotional after he's heard the love theme from FINAL FANTASY or the entire score to TITUS.

Granted, I admit that I didn't listen to Final Fantasy apart from the movie. I figured it didn't do anything to me since I fell asleep in the theater when FF was shown. Maybe I should give it a chance after all. Still, there are so many composers out there that almost instantly "click" with me, it might take some time smile

Sometimes it takes a long while for someone to "click" with you, I found that with quite a few composers.

On the other hand there'll always be those that no matter how hard you try will never connect
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2008
    Ottman
    Tyler
    Isham
    Zimmer and the majority of his crew

I can only connect with a few Elfman scores. The Batman score is what brought me to film music as a child.

Kamen is one in which the more you listen to him, the more you enjoy it and appreciate. But I understand some just don't like him.
    Listen to:
    The Lethal Weapons (I'm in love with these scores)
    Band of Brothers
    Robin Hood
    The Three Musketeers
    101 Dalmations
    Jack
    I enjoy the die hards, but need to listen to them more

Thomas Newman is a composer where I have a handful of his scores, but find it difficult to listen to them on their own. However, I do love The Road to Perdition, and Meet Joe Black.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    omaha wrote
    Ottman
    Tyler
    Isham
    Zimmer and the majority of his crew

I can only connect with a few Elfman scores. The Batman score is what brought me to film music as a child.

Kamen is one in which the more you listen to him, the more you enjoy it and appreciate it. But I understand some just don't like him.
    Listen to:
    The Lethal Weapons (I'm in love with these scores)
    Band of Brothers
    Robin Hood
    The Three Musketeers
    101 Dalmations
    Jack
    I enjoy the die hards, but need to listen to them more

Thomas Newman is a composer where I have 6 or 7 of his scores, but find it difficult to listen to them on their own. However, I do love The Road to Perdition, and Meet Joe Black.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Oh! and Alan Silvestri:
    I have a ton of his music, and love tons of his themes.
    But a lot of his scores share a style that I have trouble connecting with.
    • CommentAuthorDon

In general, some of his 80's stuff is quite terrible. Scores like Clan Of The Cave Bear defined the term "synth droning".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Don wrote

In general, some of his 80's stuff is quite terrible. Scores like Clan Of The Cave Bear defined the term "synth droning".

Now that is one awful score! Check out Philippe Sarde's Quest For Fire to hear how this kind of score should be done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    omaha wrote
    Oh! and Alan Silvestri:
    I have a ton of his music, and love tons of his themes.

But how is having a ton of someone's music and loving it actually NOT connecting with him (as the topic's title suggests?) I'd say it's pretty normal to not like all of the music one makes through the years.