• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007
    HansP wrote
    Without giving Jordi any leverage; Zimmer was good up to Gladiator... but since then...rubbish!! And too many words has been given Mr. Zimmer already; so .. finito!

Yes, this ZImmer discussion bores me too. So ,Yes! Finito!

But Im glad your nickname is in honor to him biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    (in no mean part thanks to some suggestions made by an eminent Morricone expert on this board wink )

Who, me? biggrin

It's great you have come to like his music more! I love how musical taste change, and how we're always able to discover new stuff due to this continuous shift.

While being a Morricone nut I readily admit alot of his stuff makes leaves me stone cold as well. I've never fallen for his dissonant stuff, I think there are several composers out there who do that sort of stuff so much better. I just ignore the stuff by him I don't like, and focus on his melodic stuff which touches me like no other composers seems to able to.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Danny Elfman

Unfortunately I find the majority of his music irritating, though I do get the impression he'd make a good drinking buddy on a night on the piss cool wink

Definitely! Irritating is the word!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I remember when I first tried John Williams. I had heard so much about this guy, so I went to the library and borrowed 5 CDs, among them, "Hook", "Presumed innocent" and "Jurassic Park". It's so weird to think of today, but I found all of them bland and superficial. I didn't care about them at all.

Today "Presumed innocent" has one of my favorite themes, I consider "Hook" an amazing score, and "Jurassic Park" in my all time top10, goodness from start to finish.

Sometimes it just takes a while to let the music sink in, and get to you emotionally.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Hm.. I'll try to give this a thorough thinking-over, and perhaps do a list a little like Martijn's. However, one composer that immediately comes to my mind is Thomas Newman. For some reason I've never been able to dig his style when I listen to his scores on album.

In the films, however, his scores are excellent, particularly The Shawshank Redemption. Maybe some day it'll happen, but so far I just haven't been able to get into his stuff at all.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHansP
    Nautilus wrote
    But Im glad your nickname is in honor to him biggrin

Haha.. didn't see that coming.. cool
    We'll always have Paris...
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks that Michael Giacchino is a bit overrated...

shame

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yes!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    mmm....Yes.

But No problem, You are not alone with your 4 and half star rate for the Golden compass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Absolutely.
  1. moviescore wrote
    I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks that Michael Giacchino is a bit overrated...

shame

mc

I'd agree with you, Mikael.

Another couple that have been mentioned already are Max Steiner and Bruce Broughton.

There's something about the style of Steiner that I just don't warm to. And as far as Broughton goes, of the stuff of his I've heard not much stands out as being particularly interesting.

There are a couple that I can think of where it could still go either way: Alexandre Desplat is certainly one where I think one minute I "get him" but then the next...hmmm!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Michael Giacchino and Elliot Goldenthal. I like very much Medal of Honor 'Frontline', though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    moviescore wrote

shame

mc

Yes, you are you crazy Swedish meatball. And that goes for the rest of you Giacchino haters.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nope, I'm with Mikael as well. Ya Canuck. biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

Yes, you are you crazy Swedish meatball. And that goes for the rest of you Giacchino haters.

-Erik-

Yeah, and see the "one and only" thread you haters you! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Nope, I'm with Mikael as well. Ya Canuck. biggrin

WHY YOU $(#)(!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sorry, you Greek Salad, but you're wrong! tongue
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Says who?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    A Dutch cheese. Why? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    bounce
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007 edited
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007 edited
    John Barry, Max Steiner, Howard Shore, Ry Cooder, Dave Grusin, Mark Knopfler (although I like his Dire Straits stuff!), Randy Newman. Bernard Herrmann used to be on the list, but I've opened up considerably to him over the years.

Then there are specific sounds within composers that I generally like that I absolutely LOATHE...such as Morricone's "dissonance" mode. Well, in a way I guess you could say that about all the composers that I mentioned above, as I like some of their stuff really well...it's just one particular SOUND or APPROACH that I don't agree with and/or don't like.

Then there are those composers that I really like, but that I think are overrated within fan circles - like Goldsmith or....yes, Giacchino.

In general, though, I'm a guy with an extremely wide taste in music that like a helluva lot - film music and otherwise.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Nautilus wrote
    mmm....Yes.

But No problem, You are not alone with your 4 and half star rate for the Golden compass.

spin

Say what? I stopped reviewing albums over two years ago!

mc
  2. Brian Tyler, Marco Beltrami, John Ottman.

Especially Tyler. Beltrami has Hellboy, Ottman has his X2 Theme and Tyler has his most beautiful theme taken from Legends of the Fall...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007
    Pawel...what Tyler scores you've listened to so faR?
  3. Hmm, need to recall, but I stopped listening to some scores, where I have found a derivative theme. That was the case with Greatest Game Ever Played - after noticing the Legends (and Pearl Harbor) rip.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    moviescore wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    mmm....Yes.

spin

Say what? I stopped reviewing albums over two years ago!

mc

Sorry, I thought for a momet you was Jon Broxton....A fast relation between your nickname and "Moviemusic UK".

Sorry Mikael!
    shame
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    I would have to say I haven't seen what the big deal is about Alexandre Desplat, Brian Tyler, and Harry Gregson-Williams.

They just don't seem to do it for me, yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BRIAN TYLER

DARKNESS FALLS
    FRAILTY
    CHILDREN OF DUNE
    CONSTANTINE
    TIMELINE
    THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS: TOKYO DRIFT

IF you haven't heard at least those people, please don't be mistaken, The Greatest game ever played is NOT a good sample, not representative of his work at all.

Alexandre Desplat

LUST, CAUTION
    BIRTH
    GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING
    THE UPSIDE OF ANGER
    THE PAINTED VEIL
    HOSTAGE

Genius. Have you heard those?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    BRIAN TYLER

DARKNESS FALLS - slant
    FRAILTY - slant
    CHILDREN OF DUNE - punk punk punk
    CONSTANTINE - rolleyes
    TIMELINE - vomit
    THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS: TOKYO DRIFT
    - bounce