• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2011
    One of the questions in the quiz last night (which we didn't manage) was which team Neil Lennon was the manager for. None of us were football fans, so we just guessed Leeds. Now it will forever be ingrained that he's the Celtic manager! smile

I've heard that Scottish football is very rough and physical, but I didn't know it extended beyond the stadium as well.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2011
    Mmmm? I guess it is quite easy to be cynical about that, I'd prefer to believe it's exactly as they say.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I am sure it is for intergration. The clubs themselves are so full of foreigners the history between the clubs is likely to be meaningless to them.

But knowing some people who are staunch Celtic or Rangers supporters, the allegiances run strong and deep. Some would not even wear the colours of the opposing team. You may not even see many ginger-haired Rangers supporters!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012 edited
    Running again! Had to quit for a month because my ankles and feet hurt when running a bit more then 5km. I thought it was the shoes, but that didn't help much. So recently I went to the orthopaedic last month because I was tired of it. He concluded that I need to wear arch supports to both feet for the rest of my life. But today I finally could test it while running. It was a world of difference! I'm so glad. cheesy
    Kazoo
  2. Bregt wrote
    Running again! Had to quit for a month because my ankles and feet hurt when running a bit more then 5km. I thought it was the shoes, but that didn't help much. So recently I went to the orthopaedic last month because I was tired of it. He concluded that I need to wear arch supports to both feet for the rest of my life. But today I finally could test it while running. It was a world of difference! I'm so glad. cheesy

hey, you have the same problem as me. I had pain as well when I was playing soccer, after a visit to the orthopedic he said I needed to wear special designed inside (is soles the correct word?). Either way, no pain anymore after that and I just use them to sport. So glad you don't have any pain anymore smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. "Insoles" is the word you need for the shoe inserts.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    "Insoles" is the word you need for the shoe inserts.

thanks Alan, that's exactly what I meant
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012 edited
    This weekend we did a hike with tent and backpack, 50km in 2 days (normally 3 days, but yesterday we had to make it to a tongue ). The hike was part of a GR route (Great Route) in Belgium. First day after 20km we arrived at the first camping, and decided to continue to the next along the GR path. So that was 28km in one day! One of my friends was tired near the end and the last hour was a real quiet one. The next day was the hardest part: lots of long ups and long downs. I was glad it was done on Sunday but satisfied an amazed by what we did in two days. I'm used o long walks but not with backpack or in such heat (27 degrees).

My feet had some blisters, which I 'emptied' yesterday with a needle. Anyone any tips to prevent them? I have good socks, that I have used before, but perhaps because we did too much? I have no sore muscles or any other problem, except fro the blisters. It went surprisingly well and carrying the backpack, with food and those cookies with lots of stuff in I don't know how to translate, was not a big problem (12kg). The heat was unbearable at times, lucky 70% was in a forest.

Slept two nights on very full campings, but both a great locations along the river Lesse in the Ardennes region. Great views. The first camping was cool, there was a party and we had some well deserved beers in the valley there. A good evening!

Lots of practical stuff we can use for our 6 day hike in Iceland next month.

So for the experienced; what types of food do you take with you?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012
    Wouldn't this have been better in the travel thread Bregt?

28 k is a lot of ground in one day, what was the terrain like, much hills or mostly flat? I'm not surprised you got blisters, any uncomfortable rubbing should be treated immediately, rest and clean your foot and dress it otherwise the next few days will make for uncomfortable walking, also are your boots well worn-in?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Haven't you guys heard about blister plasters? They're obligatory equipment for long hikes like these.

As for food, I'm not sure. I think lots of dry food, maybe some chocolate energy bars. And then pasta/soup thingies in powder form from which you just add water and boil.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor has pretty much said it. Also look into the hike you are doing carefully, are there any pit stops enroute where you can fill up or is this all pretty much wild camping? If it's designated camp sites find out if food is sold on site.

Personally I always take a big pack of cereal bars, powdered soups etc but if you find you can re-stock supplies along the way then always go AS LITE AS POSSIBLE!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    No, Laugavegur has no stops with supplies in between. We need food for 5 days. Wild camping is not allowed, but there is a camping and hut on each stop. We use a tent. About 12 to 15 km needs to be hiked every day. We tried some dry food this past weekend, but I didn't feel it was enough!

Shoes are worn in a lot. Terrain was up and down, stony descends are the worst. Quite often there was some soft ground too. As for blisters, it was not as bad, I can still walk! You can use plasters as many as you like, but I want to prevent them. tongue
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Take lots of carb based foods then, dried pasta, rice, potato. Dried fruit is good for munching, take crackers and bread ( rye is good and will last 5 days ), boxes of cheese triangles to spread on crackers etc, peanut butter, jam etc blah blah....try and buy them in plastic containers, you don't want to be carrying glass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ok, thanks! The rye bread seems like a good idea! What do you mean by cheese triangles? La Vache qui Rit?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    May I recommend Polar Bread, if you have it? Comes in plastic bags, keeps fresh for many, many days and tastes excellent.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Ok, thanks! The rye bread seems like a good idea! What do you mean by cheese triangles? La Vache qui Rit?

That's The very ones!! biggrin "real" cheese would sweat too much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2012
    Anyone else think this sport is retarded? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqe2ACfF … r_embedded
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2012
    Nope. Synchronized swimming is arguably one of the difficult sports on the world. What's retarded is the biased judging system.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!