• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote
    How could I forget Phil "The Power" Taylor!?

Which sport is that? smile

Darts.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote

Darts.

We are talking about athletes here, right? Darts? That just as ridiculous as Curling or Equestrian jumping being official Olympic sports

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. What did Alex Higgins do then? smile

Looking for potential biopics?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A very charismatic flamboyant man, amongst Higgins misdemeaners were brawling, drink & drugs, headbutting a referee and even threatening to have a fellow professional shot.

One of his best friends was actor Oliver Reed ( that says a lot ), I'm sure you could find out far more about him with a google search.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote

Darts.

We are talking about athletes here, right? Darts? That just as ridiculous as Curling or Equestrian jumping being official Olympic sports

-Erik-

Well, YOU'RE the one who named someone who plays hockey! If that can be in then so can darts. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote

Darts.

-Erik-

Well, YOU'RE the one who named someone who plays hockey! If that can be in then so can darts. wink

I'm not going to take the bait on that one. I know you are being silly... it's Ok. Silly is fine.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Woods has been as dominant a figure in golf as I've ever seen. We forget that he is still young and he isn't done yet.
    Michael Jordan was the greatest basketball player I ever saw. Remember he left the game to play baseball and returned to win some additional titles.
    Some of the greatest hockey I ever saw was from Bobby Orr. Erik might disagree.
    Some of the greatest pitching I ever saw in person was from Nolan Ryan. He was dominant in his time.

Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009
    Eddy Merckx!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Eddy Merckx!

He was great, but can he hold up to Lance Armstrong's 7 consecutive wins? Also considering Lance's back story?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    True. I did a patriotic move.

Justin Henin and Kim Clijsters! (but perhaps the combination of those two make their wins so fantastic)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    steroid tainted, sorry Thor
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    steroid tainted, sorry Thor

Let's not succumb to unfounded speculation, Tom!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The steroids in the last and this decade have been very disappointing to me.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anyway, I suppose if we're extending this to all time then I will have to succumb to the predictable and say Muhammed Ali, even though he practiced a sport I generally hate.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Boxing? Sugar Ray Robinson.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    As for "important" athletes, there's no getting around Jesse Owens either. In fact, the American runners all wore a "JO" emblem on their chest when they ran in the Berlin championship, an obvious tribute to the man who opened so many doors back in the "dark days".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Certainly either of those two boxers before the criminal Tyson.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Certainly either of those two boxers before the criminal Tyson.

Technically Sugar Ray Robinson was probably the greatest boxer who ever lived though Sugar Ray Leonard in more recent times comes close. Muhammed Ali, of course, transcends sport and even to this day is THE most famous sportsman who ever lived, this isn't open to argument, it's an undisputable fact.

Tyson is an incredibly flawed man and quite a sad figure now but there's no getting away from the fact that he was incredibly exciting in his short(ish) and very controversial career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    So far, I have counted up the votes, and the title seems to be going to Phil The Power Taylor. I guess we might see a last-minute surge for Eric Bristow or Ray Reardon - time will tell.

But no love for Pele? Almost universally acknowledged as the greatest-ever practitioner of the most popular sport in the world.
  2. Pele? Indeed how could we forget Pele?!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If you live in America I'm sorry to say Pele is very easy to forget.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In the same way Baseball, Hockey and your "Football" stars mean nothing here Tom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    If you live in America I'm sorry to say Pele is very easy to forget.
    Thomas

That's not true. Not true at all! If you know your sports then you know who Pele is. Christ, I hate soccer but I know who Pele is. Then again, I'm Canadian. tongue

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I know who he is Erik. He played for a time with the N.Y. Cosmos. He just isn't an icon like Bobby Orr who you completely ignored. As a Canadian I'm surprised you didn't mention his name with W.G.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    I know who he is Erik. He played for a time with the N.Y. Cosmos. He just isn't an icon like Bobby Orr who you completely ignored. As a Canadian I'm surprised you didn't mention his name with W.G.
    Thomas

Goodness... W.G. Grace! How could I forget him!? (And Donald Bradman I guess.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Pele? Indeed how could we forget Pele?!

I thought about Pelé (or Maradonna, for that matter) when I mentioned Zidane earlier, but overall, I think Zidane is the greatest of all time in regards to football.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Pele? Indeed how could we forget Pele?!

I thought about Pelé (or Maradonna, for that matter) when I mentioned Zidane earlier, but overall, I think Zidane is the greatest of all time in regards to football.

I find it very hard to judge these things. Having been lucky enough to see both Maradonna and Zidane in action, I know just how great they were. With Pele, all I have to go on is watching very brief highlights clips, and hearing everyone else say how great he was. That makes it impossible for me to judge. I suspect most of us can only really say who the greatest is within our lifetime - especially given the emotional connection we build up with people around at the same time as we are, a connection which would not be there for people who retired before we were even born.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

I "ignored" him because we were picking the best of the best. IMHO, Gretzky was the greatest hockey player to ever live. In saying that, I completely respect Orr and Gordie Howe's contribution to the game. Oh... there's a name YOU missed. And let's not forget Maurice "The Rocket" Richard or Vladislav Tretiak or Jacques Plante or Patrick Roy or Martin Broudeur... the list goes on and on. But naming off lists isn't the point of this discussion. However, in his era, there was no better defenseman... or hockey player than Orr.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

I find it very hard to judge these things. Having been lucky enough to see both Maradonna and Zidane in action, I know just how great they were. With Pele, all I have to go on is watching very brief highlights clips, and hearing everyone else say how great he was. That makes it impossible for me to judge. I suspect most of us can only really say who the greatest is within our lifetime - especially given the emotional connection we build up with people around at the same time as we are, a connection which would not be there for people who retired before we were even born.

Well, when it comes down to hockey I watch a lot of classic games and have read up and seen the performances of a lot of great hockey players both present and past. While I guess I'm being biased by selecting Gretzky as the greatest hockey player because he played when I grew up you can't ignore what the man accomplished in his time from a 10 year old who scored 378 goals and 120 assists in just 85 games (playing with kids 4-5 years older than him) to the 60 some NHL records he holds (some of them that will NEVER be broken) He played the game like no other and made the players around him (some of them average players) into superstars.

-Erik-