• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2014
    franz_conrad wrote
    I'm finding it hard to believe this could really be so bad. (Mind you, I haven't heard it, which could be the cure for my unbelief.) Is there any chance the two of you (James and Jon)... I don't know how to say it... could you be... judging this by a different era of scoring?

No... it's THAT bad!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2014 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I'm finding it hard to believe this could really be so bad. (Mind you, I haven't heard it, which could be the cure for my unbelief.) Is there any chance the two of you (James and Jon)... I don't know how to say it... could you be... judging this by a different era of scoring?

No... it's THAT bad!

-Erik-

Of course it is not. It is, in fact, quite good. If you disregard a few 'standard RCP' clichées, especially towards the latter part of the album, it's actually DAMN good. When he goes into those harsh modernistic clusters, accompanied by intelligent electronica ambiance; it's as good as it gets. The "Winter Soldiers" track is somewhat of a MARVEL, actually (no pun intended).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2014
    franz_conrad wrote
    I'm finding it hard to believe this could really be so bad. (Mind you, I haven't heard it, which could be the cure for my unbelief.) Is there any chance the two of you (James and Jon)... I don't know how to say it... could you be... judging this by a different era of scoring? [Many would have found 70s Goldsmith lacked the romanticism and presence (ie. sheer amount of score per inch of film) than the Korngold/Steiner scores of their youth, but next to nobody making films (George Lucas really) saw it otherwise in the 70s. But as we know, Goldsmith was onto something. I'm not suggesting Jackman is in the same boat, mind you...]

Probably, yes. Even in the context of this series of films you could put Jackman alongside the others and find him a long way short of Tyler and Silvestri. But it probably is a shifting of eras, one I'm not especially comfortable with - the music having some vague commentary on mood from a distance, but deliberately emotionally unengaging and deliberately "macro-dramatic" - like "think of one word to describe this film" and then making the whole score just feel like that word (Zimmer does that - look at Sherlock Holmes - but still usually manages to come up with some sort of dramatic arc so it doesn't feel quite as incessant as this one).

That 70s sound didn't really last that long - post-Star Wars, things went back far more to grander expressions of feeling and even Goldsmith got to that in the later years, with the big themes he did in the 90s - and now we're at a point where a lot of films have a peculiar need to feel "real" and that means having musical atmosphere more than underscore. You can see it in the critics - any film with a Williams or Horner score gets a musical lambasting in mainstream film reviews (even Desplat has suffered lately) whereas most Captain America reviews that mention the score do so in a positive way.

I guess whether I like the music on CD or not is neither here nor there - if it's good for the film, it's good for the film. It just seems to me that one of these "underpants on the outside" comic book hero films has a limit to how far the "realism" can truly go and if these films actually went for "escapism" with the music instead, people really wouldn't mind. And me and Jon would be writing with a smile on our faces instead of a scowl!

Times change, things change and we must like it or lump it. I don't like this latest change and will continue to be disappointed in it until the next change, which will presumably come when the world becomes a slightly happier place again and Hollywood reflects that mood change. Between now and then, I still have plenty of great film music in European and Asian films and even American ones made outside the studio system (with rare exceptions when a Desplat or one of the Newmans etc get a big film)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Perhaps I could have saved myself a lot of typing if I'd just said - today's film scorers find textural solutions, not compositional ones. And that's just not really my cup of tea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

No... it's THAT bad!

-Erik-

Of course it is not. It is, in fact, quite good. If you disregard a few 'standard RCP' clichées, especially towards the latter part of the album, it's actually DAMN good. When he goes into those harsh modernistic clusters, accompanied by intelligent electronica ambiance; it's as good as it gets. The "Winter Soldiers" track is somewhat of a MARVEL, actually (no pun intended).

Thor's the big winner at the opposite game.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

No... it's THAT bad!

-Erik-

Thor, king of the trolls!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Perhaps I could have saved myself a lot of typing if I'd just said - today's film scorers find textural solutions, not compositional ones. And that's just not really my cup of tea.

I can't add anything. This and your longer post is very well put. I can only but agree.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

No... it's THAT bad!

-Erik-

Thor, king of the trolls!

goat goat goat <-get it? Get it!? :coat: wink

Unfair, I think Steven, no trolling here, still very much in character and I've never found him to be anything but honest considering his own taste.

I've still yet to hear the score myself.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

I can't add anything. This and your longer post is very well put. I can only but agree.

I have to ask, and it's not a trolling question and I am speaking as a huge fan of it: How is Inception different? You both seem to really like it and I think "textural solutions" define that score very well smile . Though calling it *just* texture would be exaggerating, which I can do for the argument's sake.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The thing with Inception is that it sounded new - I know parts were extensions of the Batman sound, but other parts were genuinely fresh. It inhabited a sound world that was like it was uniquely crafted to Inception. And it had genuine dramatic weight - bold, not timid. Musical storytelling. Nothing there not to like! Apart from the superficial similarity in sound on occasion, no comparison to the asinine Captain America as far as I'm concerned.
  2. I am asking about, if I may say it so, finding textural solutions as a general scoring methodology, because I think that Captain America provokes (I'll listen to that score first thing in the morning though) a discussion about a general approach to film music in general that might (or might not) be persistent in today's scoring.

To me Inception is as close as a modern score can be to perfection. The question is: why is it so revered, if the approach is regarded as wrong, and why are other scores seen as wrong.

I'd just like to see what are the arguments against texture as a scoring method. For a moment, though this should be returned to later as a valid argument, let's forget about film genres (like superhero films). Maybe we could have a little discussion not unlike the Robert Folk discussions on Facebook here smile

And yes, talking about it in Jackman's topic is, I believe, fitting due to the controversy being at least partly started by a score that he wrote smile
  3. Southall wrote

Its all good- I'm glad you wrote at length. smile

Inception had that theme for the relationship at the heart of the score, so its not all 'well, it sounded interesting'.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2014 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

I have to ask, and it's not a trolling question and I am speaking as a huge fan of it: How is Inception different? You both seem to really like it and I think "textural solutions" define that score very well smile . Though calling it *just* texture would be exaggerating, which I can do for the argument's sake.

Apart that it sounded new, back then, it was actually new, redefining Zimmer's previous sound (The batman scores) and moving onto the new Z sound, the Inception / Tron sound. Now, after 4 years, it's time to go away into a new sound, which judging from what i hear around, IS the Man of Steel sound, no matter if we like it or not. And it won't change soon, unless Amazing Spiderman 2 is as drastic as he says it will be (which i doubt).

Thing with Captain America: winter soldier, is that it's actually not at all that bad, imo (heard it), but rather than people are starting to get sick of composers pre-declaring scores that haven't been done in the past and new approaches only to eventually serve as another Z/RC inspired score. Don't you think that's funny? don't hype the whole thing, don't declare it with large and bold stuff that is not valid, just shut up and put the goddamn thing for us to hear with Zero expectations: maybe then, the reviews won't be that bad.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Review of Kick-Ass 2

Enjoy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Review of the incredible Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2014
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Review of the incredible Captain America: The Winter Soldier

"Favorite Moment
    Deleting it from my hard drive."

He, he. You've got some acerbic wit on you there, Thomas. wink

Personally, I liked a lot of the tracks, especially the much-hated "The Winter Soldier", but overall it was rather middle-of-the-road for me.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Review of the incredible Captain America: The Winter Soldier

"Favorite Moment
    Deleting it from my hard drive."

He, he. You've got some acerbic wit on you there, Thomas. wink

Personally, I liked a lot of the tracks, especially the much-hated "The Winter Soldier", but overall it was rather middle-of-the-road for me.

the wit part: there are times yes cool

that cue The Winter Soldier is just horrible, has it literally come down to this musically? even the least inspired Jerry Goldsmith cue has got more panache than that
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2014
    I'm trying to figure why I'm one of a tiny number here who thought it had some good moments? Normally my views on these type of scores tie in with my highly esteemed friends here.

I should give it another listen just to make sure my ears weren't warped that day I listened.
  7. It does have some good moments, perhaps 10-15 minutes of them; it's just that the bad moments are so bad that it's easy to forget about them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2014
    I'm disappointed that scores like this are being defended because they have 10-15 minutes of "listenable" music. When has listenable become so passable especially when the rest of the album is so wretched?

dizzy spin

-Erik-
  8. It's not listenable regarded as passable, I think.

I think I take a bit of an issue with the "works in film" argument being the lowest common denominator. In general the classically inclined public should find a way of discussion with the ambience/synthesis fans. I don't think the general synthesis capability is well-regarded by orchestral music fans and the quality of orchestrations is often not respected by the ambient fans. I find that ridiculous.

I must however make a point that this forum actually, fortunately, tries to balance acceptance of both, not just by having a very diverse group of score fans, but also by the fact that proper discussion tries to be somehow maintained even with the jocular jabs at certain styles, which are done (mostly) in good nature. But if the general fan community is basically trying to be, to simplify the situation, Hook vs. Inception (as I said, for the sake of the argument), we will not get anywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2014 edited
    I have zero problem with use of electronics or ambience or synthetic instruments. I just think (besides some of the creepy as all hell Winter Solider material and some of the nice Americana) the rest of Jackman's Captain America is lowest common denominator music. I mean, those tumbling string ostinatos in the last cue? They're on repeat for at leat the last 5 minutes of that cue. That's not being creative. And the same boring chord progressions that we hear in countless lesser RCP scores. Ugh! Come on! crazy Film music can be and is better than this.

On the flipside, we have Zimmer's Amazing Spider-Man 2, which is obviously one of the composer's most inspired and varied scores in years. A score that I've had to pleasure of listening to over and over again.

-Erik-
  9. I'm not saying that Captain America is a good score (I had to miss out on the film due to lack of subtitled 2D showings when I could go see it). I am saying that there should be a bigger attempt at discussion between fans of the two paradigms.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's two bad there are two paradigms because I thought we were all film music fans.

-Erik-
  10. Same here biggrin

But suddenly it seems that you're not allowed to like Zimmer's Batman if you like Elfman's. And what if I like both?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I keep saying WHO FUCKING CARES. Like what you want to like even if it's Tinker Bell. Be proud of what you are listening to. But also be mindful that others have different opinions... annnnnnnd that a tiny percentage are just assholes. wink

-Erik-
  11. Yeah, the thing is that I am a very project-specific guy. Glad to see a lot of that here smile .
  12. We have projects here? I thought we ware just talking film music.

The only paradigms I see here is Thor's "Concept Album Approach" and my own "Program Music Approach". We have dicussed that at length. What else is there to say?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  13. Thor calls Golden Age not a historical period, but a scoring paradigm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor also thinks that Pain and Gain is a good score. Take that for what it's worth. tongue

-Erik-