• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2012 edited
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Here's my review of ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER by Henry Jackman, if anyone's interested!
    http://moviemusicuk.us/2012/07/17/abrah … y-jackman/

I like the last sentence smile

I hope Jackman gets to work with a more traditionally-minded director sometime soon. His employment of the mostly-abandoned arts of harmony are stunning.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2012
    A nicht gut score for a horrible movie.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2012
    Did anyone notice that IMDB has Jackman listed as the composer for Disney's upcoming "Wreck-it Ralph"? No idea if its legit info or not, but that could be a great opportunity for Jackman to showcase his talents in a bigger and more epic way than usual. Or they could go the route of grungy loopy crap...we'll see.
  1. As I reported back in June:
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … s/#Item_20

He replaced the original score.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2012
    Are you suggesting that Newman's score was recorded?
  2. A good bit is all I know. I've not looked into it fully. My Give-A-Damn is so low, my food that could be consumed in under an hour, is still sitting there nine hours later, just about every day.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2012
    Oh, I completely missed that, I guess 'cause I had no idea what the film was. Sorry Justin, thanks for the info smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2012 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    As I reported back in June:
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … s/#Item_20

He replaced the original score.

Henry does good work when doing animation scores. I'm positive he'll be a good replacement for Thomas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2012
    lp wrote
    I'm positive he'll be a good replacement for Thomas.

slant

I really want to hear another Newman score for an animated feature. Despite his inexperience in the genre, he's clearly very good at it and his style lends well to them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Do not what is worse, an all over the place 30-something-track animated score by Newman or something new by the man that gave us the abraham lincoln vampire slayer thingy (still his animated scores are superb so far).
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    LSH wrote
    lp wrote
    I'm positive he'll be a good replacement for Thomas.

slant

I really want to hear another Newman score for an animated feature. Despite his inexperience in the genre, he's clearly very good at it and his style lends well to them.

He's certainly demonstrated that he can handle any score with aplomb. I enjoyed his score for Finding Nemo, more so than Wall-E.

In regard to Henry Jackman, I hope the guy won't be ask to do a John Powell riff again, like he had to do for Puss in Boots.
  3. How about: we missed a score from a composer who gave us such scores as "Wall-E" and "Finding Nemo".
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    justin boggan wrote
    How about: we missed a score from a composer who gave us such scores as "Wall-E" and "Finding Nemo".

Meh.

I'm sure you'd feel this way about Henry Jackman's appointment, but I feel that I wouldn't be missing much. I'd be more interested in hearing what David Newman would come up. His Ice Age score was very unique and touching.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    In regard to Henry Jackman, I hope the guy won't be ask to do a John Powell riff again, like he had to do for Puss in Boots.

Don't you mean James Horner riff. tongue

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote

Don't you mean James Horner riff. tongue

-Erik-

Only if James Horner came up with every Spanish musical cliches.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Come on... the movie was heavily temped with The Mask of Zorro. Jackman didn't really do too much to stray away from that.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. lp wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    How about: we missed a score from a composer who gave us such scores as "Wall-E" and "Finding Nemo".

Meh.

I'm sure you'd feel this way about Henry Jackman's appointment, but I feel that I wouldn't be missing much. I'd be more interested in hearing what David Newman would come up. His Ice Age score was very unique and touching.

Of course not -- I wouldn't feel that way about any composer I don't care for the works of. That's a silly statement.

David Newman? I don't know. His all over the place Scooby scores, which reportedly get worse with each sequel, don't really make me appreciate a film that will probably have some fast action for video game lands.
    Plus, it seems he's not taking assignments anymore. The last film I know him on was "LOL", which was rejected before recording (demo score only). I theorize that Brian Levant had taken over as director of the now shelved "Vanilla Gorilla" -- which was already filmed, and that he probably had Newman do a score, but we'll never know (likewise we'll probably never know if Warbeck did his for the previous director).

Unless he gets "A Christmas Story 2", all's quiet on the western front.
  5. Yes, quite.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. The Edit Fairy has paid my above post a visit. Tinkle! Tinkle!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    OMG there is flamboyant swashbuckling Spanish music it must be a ripoff of teh Zorros!!! tongue

Horner's style is different enough from Jackman's that I enjoy both scores equally and am very glad we got to hear different takes on the same style from two very talented composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    OMG there is flamboyant swashbuckling Spanish music it must be a ripoff of teh Zorros!!! tongue

Come on... even the opening cues are pretty much identical. The theme is a bastardized version of Horner's... which I think was Alfred Newman's or Miklos Rozsa's anyway. wink

It's a bloody entertaining score, don't get me wrong, but the temp track is so obvious!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    You're talking to someone (and/or being playfully baited wink ) who doesn't really believe in theme ripoffs...I don't even see a ripoff in "The Edge" versus "Time Machine" like almost everyone does...it has to be really blatant for me...like Titus/300 or the 4-note danger motif or that unbelievably awful Transformers ripoff in the Starcraft II score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2012 edited
    Scribe wrote
    You're talking to someone (and/or being playfully baited wink ) who doesn't really believe in theme ripoffs...I don't even see a ripoff in "The Edge" versus "Time Machine" like almost everyone does...

Ummm... it has nothing to do with believing... theme rip offs are a fact and they happen a lot!

As for The Edge and The Time Machine... I know for a fact that the film was temped with Goldsmith's score.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I just mean for me personally I don't consider it a ripoff unless its so similar that it forces itself into my awareness...which doesn't happen most of the time...certainly not for Jackman's score. As long as they're just different enough in the harmonics and orchestrations to be their own piece of music, I'm happy...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I could never listen to Puss in Boots without thinking of Horner's Zorro, precisely because of what you say - it's not just the melody that's similar, but the harmonic language is identical, the tonal language, even the rhythm. It's a blatant rip off, and not just the theme.

Horner's Zorro theme is itself clearly very heavily influenced by Rozsa's El Cid march, but the harmonic language is changed completely so it sounds like Horner rather than Rozsa.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Maybe its because I only own Legend of Zorro and not the original one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote

Nope.. that's not going to save you. Listen to "My Family Is My Life..."

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Come on... the movie was heavily temped with The Mask of Zorro. Jackman didn't really do too much to stray away from that.

-Erik-

I thought it was a very nice movie with a pleasant score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

Nope.. that's not going to save you. Listen to "My Family Is My Life..."

-Erik-

They seriously don't remind me of each other at all. Zorro feels a whole lot more dramatic and serious and, well, Horner-ish. Puss in Boots feels light-hearted and fun and almost like dance music...as demonstrated by the fact that pieces from it were used in several gymnastics performances during the Olympics...

The themes might be using the same instruments and rhythms but the harmony and the feelings that the themes produce are completely different!!!

Maybe its a placebo effect caused by knowing the subject matter of the films?