• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2012
    justin boggan wrote
    Aaannnddd Zimmer has gone back on what he said, and is now scoring "Man of Steel".

Boy, I can't wait for the one-note Superman theme; with a buzzing, overbearing hum for the villain theme.

Oh F*CK.

I knew we were never gonna get another iconic anthem (like, ever slant ), but with his "redefinition" (for lack of a better description) of the Batman "theme" (for lack of a better description), my expectation has just hit rock bottom.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Can just ONE of these movies get something different?

Instead of Bates for Conan, maybe Yared.

Instead of Gregson-Williams for "Total Recall", why not new comer James Peterson?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. I agree Martijn, the music for the recent Batman films is not what I call good film scoring. More like the opposite.

And apart from a few creative outbursts, Zimmer has done very little to give me musical enjoyment the last 10 years.

Superman a la Zimmer, no thanks. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2012 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Can just ONE of these movies get something different?

Instead of Gregson-Williams for "Total Recall", why not new comer John Peterson?

Wow. Brave, interesting, out of the box thinking there, Justin.

...pretty much the perfect antithesis to general Hollywood attitudes...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I love the way Zimmer and JNH redefined the BATMAN universe with their scores. It would have been terribly boring if they went the same route as the previous films (which would have been out-of-place in Nolan's universe, anyway).

So I think it's great that we'll get a -- hopefully -- new sound for the SUPERMAN films, instead of the "Williams Lite" thing that Ottman provided for SUPERMAN RETURNS (although the Williams fan in me would love to hear Zimmer take on the famous theme in his music).

And finally, it doesn't have to be in the same style as BATMAN. Could be something completely different. Time will tell.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    If anyone did any redefining, it was Nolan. Zimmer/Newton Howard's 'score' was nothing much more than industrial soundscaping. Fitting, to be sure, and it supported the movie well.

But by its very undefining nature it didn't REDEFINE anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    justin boggan wrote
    Can just ONE of these movies get something different?

Instead of Gregson-Williams for "Total Recall", why not new comer James Peterson?

So you are saying that instead of using the one A-list composer who seems to bother to innovate on every single project he works on (except maybe his paycheck projects like Madagascar) should be replaced with composers who will write predictable, traditional orchestral music (not saying Yared and Peterson don't write great music, but it certainly isn't "different")? How does picking Yared or Peterson fit with "getting something different"? Zimmer is basically the only one who has a real chance of bringing something different.

You guys are complaining about the minimalism of the new Batman scores but that was only done because that's the kind of music Nolan wants in his films. Apart from Nolan films, Zimmer has never been one to avoid using big, recognizable themes.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Scribe wrote
    So you are saying that instead of using the one A-list composer who seems to bother to innovate on every single project he works on (except maybe his paycheck projects like Madagascar) should be replaced with composers who will write predictable, traditional orchestral music (not saying Yared and Peterson don't write great music, but it certainly isn't "different")? How does picking Yared or Peterson fit with "getting something different"? Zimmer is basically the only one who has a real chance of bringing something different.

I know what you're saying, but Zimmer has had such an influence on film music over the last couple of decades, a traditional orchestral score for a film like this - like Horner's Spiderman! - is the very definition of "different" because it's so unexpected.

I'm no fan of Superman and couldn't care less about the film. My main hope for the score is ironically that Zimmer doesn't try to do anything Williams-ish, since that could only end up being a spectacular failure. But I certainly hope he doesn't go down his Batman route. We're talking about a guy in a bright blue costume going round saving the world. The music needs big themes, heroism, action, adventure, excitement. (Things that could be provided by a traditional orchestral score composed by a traditional orchestral composer, I feel obliged to note.)
  3. A-list doesn't mean anything. I think most of us here could name plenty of B or C-list composers who should take most, if not all the stuff Zimmer & team are getting.

I've gone through the promos Yared sent me and he would routinely not go the entirely predictable route. But yes, do tell us how familiar you are with James Peterson's body of work to say he'll write something "predictable", especially considering only 15 credits on IMDB (with one missing, so 16), including only three movies and the rest being shorts and documentaries.

I'm more familiar with Zimmer's work than his, but I'm sure you're a James Peterson expert. So let's hear a mini description of each score he's done, that makes you so knowledgable you can say he'll do the predictable. Some composers have track records; Peterson has barely even walked half the track.

How is getting Yared different than Zimmer? Well, I can randomly pick a dozen Zimmer cues, and then randomly pick ONE Yared cue. The difference will be night and day. But if you're a staunch Zimmer-ite, there's no point. It's like those folks jumping in the Burwell/"Gangster Squad" thread -- same crap given every time: "Oh, you haven't heard a note" / "maybe he'll do something different this time!" (which, of course, is the thing said every time for somebody who has a track record).

To quote Southall:
    I sincerely hope that the score for Prometheus is wonderful. Having heard all of Streitenfeld's previous music, and a lot of Gregson-Williams's, I doubt it will be. That's all. I don't KNOW that the Big Mac I eat tomorrow will taste just the same as the Big Mac I ate yesterday, but I can take a pretty good guess.

And, in the end of the day, let us say Yared DOES write a predictable score; it goes everywhere we thought it would, it does not surprise us, it does not push any boundaires. It's still something "different" from Zimmer", and I'll take boring, predictable Yared any day.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    If anyone did any redefining, it was Nolan. Zimmer/Newton Howard's 'score' was nothing much more than industrial soundscaping. Fitting, to be sure, and it supported the movie well.

But by its very undefining nature it didn't REDEFINE anything.

Not in itself, maybe, but it certainly added to the redefinition of the whole project, applying the Bourne-style riffs to the BATMAN setting (among other things).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Scribe wrote

I know what you're saying, but Zimmer has had such an influence on film music over the last couple of decades, a traditional orchestral score for a film like this - like Horner's Spiderman! - is the very definition of "different" because it's so unexpected.

I'm no fan of Superman and couldn't care less about the film. My main hope for the score is ironically that Zimmer doesn't try to do anything Williams-ish, since that could only end up being a spectacular failure. But I certainly hope he doesn't go down his Batman route. We're talking about a guy in a bright blue costume going round saving the world. The music needs big themes, heroism, action, adventure, excitement. (Things that could be provided by a traditional orchestral score composed by a traditional orchestral composer, I feel obliged to note.)

I don't think we can say anything about what the film will be untill it's actually here (and hence what the score will or should sound like). From the few pics that have leaked, it's certainly nothing like the 'bright blue costume' thing of yesteryear, however.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2012
    I have one Peterson score, which apparently is 33% of his film music output so far. The one I have is one of the most obvious, straightforward, traditional orchestral scores I've ever blind-bought.

Zimmer is still pretty much the only one who is capable of truly surprising me, making me go, "wow, I never heard anything quite like that before!" That is not always a good thing. I didn't really care for the gypsy music in Sherlock Holmes 2. But the point is, with Zimmer I honestly don't know what the Man of Steel score will sound like (Snyder doesn't have a clearly defined scoring style, look at how different 300 and Legend of the Guardians are) and that makes me excited in a way that almost any other composer being attached to the project wouldn't. I haven't heard Horner's Spider-man yet but it doesn't excite me because I could practically play it in my head without even listening to it. I know almost exactly what it will sound like. That doesn't mean I won't enjoy it, but discovering truly innovative music is a rare treat these days and that's why this assignment makes me happy.

Also, it's not really Zimmer's fault that everyone copies him, he even said he wishes his clones would try harder to differentiate themselves (or something to that effect).
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Thor wrote
    I love the way Zimmer and JNH redefined the BATMAN universe with their scores. It would have been terribly boring if they went the same route as the previous films (which would have been out-of-place in Nolan's universe, anyway).

I don't disagree that the Zimmer approach was a good choice, but I think it's impossible to say whether the music of the previous approaches would have been out of place in Nolan's universe. Position creates power, and a popular film drags everyone's musical preferences along with it. They seem out of place because the Nolan universe is partly defined by a Zimmer sound, but I venture that sound might have been equally unimaginable had Warner Bros, Harry Potter style, insisted the franchise carry the last popular theme associated with it (Elfman's perhaps)...
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

I don't disagree that the Zimmer approach was a good choice, but I think it's impossible to say whether the music of the previous approaches would have been out of place in Nolan's universe. Position creates power, and a popular film drags everyone's musical preferences along with it. They seem out of place because the Nolan universe is partly defined by a Zimmer sound, but I venture that sound might have been equally unimaginable had Warner Bros, Harry Potter style, insisted the franchise carry the last popular theme associated with it (Elfman's perhaps)...

Well, it's difficult to speculate about 'what ifs' in general, but I think it's fairly obvious just from the more realistic, nuanced, down-and-gritty style of Nolan that an over-the-top, gothic, black/white score a la Elfman's for the Burton film would not be what Nolan -- or the film itself -- was after.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2012
    Bah. Humbug.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Bah. Humbug.

biggrin punk biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Scribe wrote
    I have one Peterson score, which apparently is 33% of his film music output so far. The one I have is one of the most obvious, straightforward, traditional orchestral scores I've ever blind-bought.

OMG, and anybody who has Denny Zeitlin's "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" has 100% of his film music!

Or anybody who has Ray Cook's "Careful, He Might Hear You", has 33.3% of his film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    justin boggan wrote
    Or anybody who has Ray Cook's "Careful, He Might Hear You", has 33.3% of his film music.

That's me! punk biggrin
    (Lovely score by the way)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2012
    Martijn wrote
    justin boggan wrote

That's me! punk biggrin

Is that the one that is VERY Vaughan Williams influenced?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Apologies if I already reported it:

"The Road to Freedom Peak"
    Michael Nyman
    Source: agency's listing.

AND

"Wreck-It Ralph"
    Henry Jackman (replacing a score by Thomas Newman)
    Source:

"The Confession" (TV movie; recorded)
    "Hell and Mr. Fudge" (recorded)
    Lee Holdridge
    Source: his website.

"Isn't It Delicious?" (recorded)
    David Amram
    Source: various news reports, including what looks to be a blog by Amram.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    justin boggan wrote

That's me! punk biggrin

Is that the one that is VERY Vaughan Williams influenced?

Vaughan Whatnow?
    (I have no clue. I know very little by the man. shame )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2012 edited
    I was right, very VERY Vaughan Williamsesque CAREFUL ( and incredibly beautiful score it is too! )

Martijn, I'd suggest you give a listen to RVW's The Lark Ascending, IMO it's one of the two greatest pieces of music ever written, obviously it's a personal thing but for me there is no other piece that can move me like this one except for my other choice which is also RVW, Fantasia On A Theme by Thomas Tallis.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In fact I insist that you MUST listen to both works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    smile Already 50% there: I do like his Fantasia On A Theme by Thomas Tallis quite a lot actually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    That one's ripped off from something by Thomas Tallis.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    smile Already 50% there: I do like his Fantasia On A Theme by Thomas Tallis quite a lot actually.

love

I'd recommend trying Nigel Kennedy's version of Lark Ascending, believe me, it's an incredibly sublime piece.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    That one's ripped off from something by Thomas Tallis.

Really? biggrin At least he gives credit unlike, say, James Horner who doesn't tag his score to GLORY as Fantasy On A Theme by Sergei Prokofiev wink
  7. M. Night Shyamalan (AKA: The guy who hasn't made a good movie in years now), Tweets:

@LeDoctor, Hey Frank good look with ‪#BourneLegacy‬. Don't burn out James. I need him to score ‪#AfterEarth‬. Can't you reuse your old scores?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012
    I'm sure James won't have to work too hard since he can just go and pick up the Powell scores he based Duplicity and The Tourist on and do it again.
  8. Leafmen" has changed names to "Epic". The Elfman credit on IMDB has been restored and Desplat[ed] and Powell removed.

Personally, I thought the first name was better.

Trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFpNYe1u-0g