• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Some RC/MV sores remind me of the wall-to-wall sound-floor underscoring you sometimes find in Golden Age scores.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2014
    Golden Age scores weren't perfect either.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I remember watching Hitchcock's Spellbound with a friend who remarked how the music was too melodramatic and overpowering.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Golden Age scores weren't perfect either.

-Erik-

As little as I listen to Golden Age, I'd like to know examples of bad Golden Age scores smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    There are some Herrmann scores that I'm not fond of but then again there are people who don't consider his scores to be Golden Age.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I was going to post a video of The Winter Soldier but with Silvestri's music instead, but for the life of me I can't upload a simple video! YouTube blocks the clip (even though it's one of the clips already on there) and I can't even get my FTP to work. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2014 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor calls Golden Age not a historical period, but a scoring paradigm.

Obviously, it's a term used to describe it in retrospect, they didn't call it "Golden Age" at the time. Since there are basically dozens of ways to pinpoint the period in a time-specific way, it makes more sense if you use the classical expression and the industrial organization as your parameters. Also, the term doesn't only apply to scoring, but a certain mode of filmmaking.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor also thinks that Pain and Gain is a good score. Take that for what it's worth. tongue

-Erik-

You must all accept that PAIN & GAIN is one of the best scores of last year. TRUTH! biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor calls Golden Age not a historical period, but a scoring paradigm.

Obviously, it's a term used to describe it in retrospect, they didn't call it "Golden Age" at the time. Since there are basically dozens of ways to pinpoint the period in a time-specific way, it makes more sense if you use the classical expression and the industrial organization as your parameters. Also, the term doesn't only apply to scoring, but a certain mode of filmmaking.

What would you call a modern score referring to the tradition? Something like Debney's Cutthroat Island?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2014 edited
    An hommage set within a more contemporary orchestral style (or something similar)? Same with STAR WARS, really -- in that case Williams infused the neo-romanticism with loads of contemporary jazz signatures etc.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd agree with you there, Thor (again!). I've never thought that Debney's score sounds 'Golden Age', but it does perhaps conjure up a similar feeling of adventure and 'swashbuckle'. I suppose the biggest difference between Debney's score and Korngold's pirate scores is the camp factor; CutThroat island is not a particularly camp score, whereas something like The Sea Hawk is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    True. But Renny Harlin's FILM would perhaps qualify as 'camp'?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Never seen it! And, given what people say about it, I don't think I want to....
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

It's not that bad. The cinematography, sound design and stunt work is excellent! And the film contains one of cinemas greatest explosions! And of course, Debney's masterful score

-Erik-
  4. I saw that one in the cinema. Hardly remember it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2014 edited
    The only thing I remember is the carriage chase in the beginning. But I'd like to revisit it. It's one of those pulp, very "90s" movies that are enjoyable despite the cheesiness. I actually like Harlin as a director.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2014 edited
    Steven wrote

I believe it was Cutthroat Island that sank his (Harlin's) career.

Not surprising as it's awful!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2014
    This summer, composer Henry Jackman recorded his score to the new Disney animated feature, Big Hero 6. The film reunites Jackman with co-director Don Hall (Winnie the Pooh), and the score was recorded at the Newman Scoring Stage at 20th Century Fox. ScoringSessions.com is delighted to bring our readers photos from the scoring sessions!

http://www.scoringsessions.com

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2014
    Thank you Dan, always a pleasure smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. Synchrotones reviews: THE INTERVIEW / THIS IS THE END + KINGSMAN - Henry Jackman/Matthew Margeson

http://wp.me/p3hOx4-Ef

These three are just a hoot! So much good fun should be illegal.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2015
    Synchrotones wrote
    So much good fun should be illegal.

It often is, depending on your source.
  6. Ha! In this case my source is entirely legal.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  7. My review of KINGSMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2015/02/24/kings … -margeson/

Jon
  8. My thoughts on PIXELS, which I suspect are harsher than most other people's.
  9. I liked Jackman from some interviews i have seen of him. They really got me interested in his stuff, as he comes across so well. though i haven't seen 80% of the films he's scored.

I really enjoy his X-MEN: FIRST CLASS, particularly the rather excellent Frankenstein's Monster track, which worked perfectly in the film, too. I think i have only Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter of his, otherwise. And i can't remember it at all, though i only listened once.

I recently watched BIG HERO 6, and the score is okay in that and has some nice moments. And Kingsman, which i can't remember at all. Then i saw CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER and liked his score in the film, but not sure i would buy, but again it has nice moments. I think he's one that i'd like to cherry-pick a track or two out of his films and you'd have a belting 80 minute album of good stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2015
    Coming across well in an interview is not necessarily indicative of the quality of someone's music. If that were true, Herrmann's music wouldn't exactly fare well.
  10. Steven wrote
    Coming across well in an interview is not necessarily indicative of the quality of someone's music. If that were true, Herrmann's music wouldn't exactly fare well.

True enough, Steven. But it warmed me to him and made me want to check out his stuff initially. I always want his scores to grab me, but so far they haven't really. I think he was talking about how producers were forcing him to use specific bit of his music on X-MEN: FIRST CLASS and make it a main theme, which he was set against, which i found interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2016
  11. My review of THE BIRTH OF A NATION, for anyone who's interested.

https://moviemusicuk.us/2016/10/18/the- … y-jackman/

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2016