• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2010
    When will they stop letting Jack Black make movies.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Any good?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, Jack Black. Huge sigh;
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I love Jack Black!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2010 edited
    You're a weird man so you don't count.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2010
    so.... meaningless drivels aside, the score doesn't sound bad. Looks to be entirely orchestral and filled with a fair share of mickey mousing. Could be a good score overall.
  1. I'm the only one who think that this guy is John Powell's lost cousin? His score for Monsters Vs Aliens sounded like something that Powell can write.

I think that his score for Kick Ass was great (especially the main theme), and I can't wait to hear his score for X Men First Class. At least would be better than Gregson-Williams's score for Wolverine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    No, you are right. And he writes great adventure/heroic music - "Up is Down" from Pirates, and "Ginormica Suite" from MvA, and the theme from Kick-Ass. I can't wait to see how he develops.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2010 edited
    Same. MvA sounded amateurish to me overall--like he hasn't quite hit his stride or style yet, but it did show a lot of potential, especially with Ginormica Suite. High hopes for a few tracks on Gulliver's Travels; "Take Off That Dress, And Let’s Get Outta Here" has that same sort of build to it that he had going on in "Up is Down." But then the sample cuts out, so we'll see if he carries it though. "Ein Roboterleben" also sounds like it could be really good. Nothing else jumped out at me, but we'll see.

Also, Jackson had some of the best tracks in Kick-Ass, which still ranks among my favorite scores of the year: "No Power, No Responsibility," "Big Daddy Kills," "Marshmallows," "Mistmobile," and possibly the best score from the album: "Man in the Mirror."

Jackson and David Buckley are two of the most promising composers I see coming out of RC right now. The rest... well, maybe some day. :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    David Buckley???

I'd take Atli or Lorne over him any day.

But to each their own beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Are you insane? wink Have you heard The forbidden kingdom?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Forbidden Kingdom = cliched ideas, Rabin-level simplicity of orchestrations, weak-sounding orchestra. There are some nice parts and I liked it in the film, but it certainly didn't suggest to me that he had a particularly interesting new take on the RC sound in the same way that Atli, Lorne, and Jackman appear to. Then again, if he writes more scores in the same vein as The Forbidden Kingdom and manages to establish his own voice, I'll change my mind!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2010 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Forbidden Kingdom = cliched ideas, Rabin-level simplicity of orchestrations, weak-sounding orchestra. There are some nice parts and I liked it in the film, but it certainly didn't suggest to me that he had a particularly interesting new take on the RC sound in the same way that Atli, Lorne, and Jackman appear to. Then again, if he writes more scores in the same vein as The Forbidden Kingdom and manages to establish his own voice, I'll change my mind!

QFT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2010 edited
    I guess I'm basically of the same opinion for Buckley. --In that I want him to write more stuff like Forbidden Kingdom. smile It's true, we haven't heard a lot from him yet, but I remember being very impressed by "Tea House Fight." The score had flaws, but I see a lot of potential in some of the Forbidden Kingdom tracks.

What in particular has impressed you about Atli and Lorne or been new and interesting? I don't mean that as an attack. I just haven't been keeping up with their stuff much lately; what I've heard hasn't impressed me a lot yet, but maybe I've missed something?
  2. Feliz wroteAlso, Jackson had some of the best tracks in Kick-Ass, which still ranks among my favorite scores of the year: "No Power, No Responsibility," "Big Daddy Kills," "Marshmallows," "Mistmobile," and possibly the best score from the album: "Man in the Mirror."

About Kick Ass, I loved how Jackman mixed his Kick Ass theme with John Murphy's 28 Days Later theme for Big Daddy and Hit Girl in Marshmallows. Same thing in Man in the Mirror, with that Superman-esque ostinato.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2010
    Feliz wrote
    What in particular has impressed you about Atli and Lorne or been new and interesting? I don't mean that as an attack. I just haven't been keeping up with their stuff much lately; what I've heard hasn't impressed me a lot yet, but maybe I've missed something?

Can't say much for Lorne (even if I was very impressed with his work on Megamind, it's still early) but Atli's been doing a lot of solo work (with the requisite additionals, of course) and he's already established his own sound that's interesting enough to be distinguished from that of Hans and others. That said, I'm not a fan of his music (Season of the Witch, especially), but I can certainly hear what he's able to bring to the table. He's currently scoring the new Law & Order series, Law & Order: Los Angeles (a.k.a. LOLA), and stepping into the Mike Post mantle rather well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    I like Ramin Djawadi and Geoff Zanelli's work as well. Their respective portfolio speaks to a diverse range that I can appreciate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Lorne's Megamind is very generic. He has to show so much more than this.

As far as i am concerned, The forbidden Kingdom is much higher than anything the others did so far. Travin, especially from 2006 onwards, would wish he's written it. (have you heard the thematic procession and melodic usage? Miles away from the standard rc-isms. And the way he uses the instruments.)

Zanelli should gtfo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Lorne's Megamind is very generic. He has to show so much more than this.

As far as i am concerned, The forbidden Kingdom is much higher than anything the others did so far. Travin, especially from 2006 onwards, would wish he's written it. (have you heard the thematic procession and melodic usage? Miles away from the standard rc-isms. And the way he uses the instruments.)

Zanelli should gtfo.

Who's Travin?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Trevor Rabin combined.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Trevor Rabin combined.

Travin?! biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    For Lorne you have to hear some of the stuff he's written for their "Director's Cuts" production libraries (under the pseudonym "Oswin Mackintosh"), he has a great touch at writing classic soaring RC anthems that he hasn't really gotten to use in any of his Zimmer-collaborations yet.

http://extrememusic.com/

Check out Director's Cuts #42 - Epic Themes II...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2010
    Gulliver's Travels

This is good! I have a feeling Erik will love it. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Gulliver's Travels

This is good! I have a feeling Erik will love it. smile

beer
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2010
    The score is serviceable without being especially memorable. Just don't watch the film. One of the greatest dogs of all time. Even your average 12 will run screaming from the cinema.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2010
    David OC wrote
    The score is serviceable without being especially memorable. Just don't watch the film. One of the greatest dogs of all time. Even your average 12 will run screaming from the cinema.

Jack Black should be sent to an island with a gun and a bullet. Well, two bullets, just in case.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2011
    I wouldn't watch the film don't worry wink But repeated listens tell me this score is far way more than "just serviceable" wink It's latter half and ending are stunning.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've liked the clips I've heard, I'll have to check this score out.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    I've liked the clips I've heard, I'll have to check this score out.

Only if someone offers to pay you to take it off their hands, I would advise.