• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2009 edited
    NP: Once Upon A Forest - James Horner

Probably Horner's least known animated score and would be an instant turn off for most after listening to the cringe worthy opening tune "Once Upon a Time With Me." Once you skip that track there is a A LOT to offer here. The "Once Upon a Time With Me" theme is wonderful WITHOUT lyrics - it gets a beautiful rendition in the opening score track "The Forest" - and goes through many variations throughout the scores playing time! Magnificent!!!

The rest of the score is rather sugary... but I don't mind a little sweet here and there especially in a children's animated film. You just come to expect it. But as you dive deeper into the score it does get darker and more exciting. "Flying" - "Escaping From The Yellow Dragons - The Meadow" and "Flying Home To Michelle" are superb up tempo tracks that rival some of the best Horner has to offer in other animation genre scores.

Overall, the score flows rather nicely... not a dull moment to be found. If you can find the score for a reasonable price - OOP for a really long time on the defunct Fox Records - I recommend you take a chance!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, maybe it gets all those positive adjectives because it's new and fresh wink Like when Kung Fu Panda and Horton came out for instance? Let's wait a couple of years and see wink

I can only speak for myself, but I LOVE Kung Fu Panda and Horton. I still relish listening to each score even months after their respective releases. So for me, it was more than simply because they were "new and fresh".

The last track from Horton will likely remain a Powell favourite of mine for years to come.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    I can only speak for myself, but I LOVE Kung Fu Panda and Horton. I still relish listening to each score even months after their respective releases. So for me, it was more than simply because they were "new and fresh".

The last track from Horton will likely remain a Powell favourite of mine for years to come.

And add "Oogway Ascends" from Kung Fu Panda to the list! WHAT. A. THEME!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    And IS REALLY and REALISTICALLY speaking, ICE AGE 3 so inventive confused

Not when you look at Powell's past scores, no. It's relatively a standard affair in respect to Powell's true creativity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

And add "Oogway Ascends" from Kung Fu Panda to the list! WHAT. A. THEME!

-Erik-

Like Pirates, it's one of those moderns scores where the themes will stay with me forever. That's not an exaggeration at all as you only have to mention pandas or kung fu and I'll be humming one of the themes in my head.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Once Upon A Forest - James Horner

Superb score - love it. cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bolt comes along as an easier to digest listening experience on CD. And less "all over the place"-y.

Bah! Bolt is enjoyable but lacks the creativity and uniqueness of Horton. Hell, I prefer Hancock over Bolt

-Erik-

Hancock was the strongest Powell core in the context of the movie by FAR last year. The variations of the main theme were magnificent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Air Force One Jerry Goldsmith

In honour of Michael Jackson's recent death, I thought I'd pay tribute to him by playing something I really like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium - Alexandre Desplat & Aaron Zigman

Excellent score! cheesy love
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote

In honour of Michael Jackson's recent death, I thought I'd pay tribute to him by playing something I really like.

I want this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2009
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote

I want this!

I thought you already had it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, this kind of works, either coming from the newman's or the Powell's of the world (with exceptions like Chicken Run, finding nemo, happy feet etc) all sound the same-ish to me; some brilliant moments and a lot of cartoon filler music. I am not wetting my pants, but i can see how and others would; give me Paycheck or Bourne Supremacy or even UNITED 93 any day; talking about inventive film scoring.

You know whose animated scores are amazing? James Horner's. Barely a sniff of mickey-mousing, but balletic, through-composed accompaniment. Has ANYONE else even tried doing that? Horner did it beautifully on several occasions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2009 edited
    Powell's music has inexorable amounts of rhythm and energy matched by few other composers, but Horner just has that brute, heartfelt emotion to his music that, again, is matched by few others IMO. So personally I love both Horner's and Powell's scores for animated films for different reasons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Ice age 3 (Powell)

Finally, I'm doing a listening of the whole score.

The reprises of Powell's themes from the second movie are really inspireds. in fact, are a great improvement ( sadly, not "waterpark" theme is almost not used here).

It's a little bit like Bolt, not so over the top like Horton, it's much more "old fashioned" score.

Far too many cues, but Powell really rocks the house with this powerful orchestrations!

"battles" is with "enterprising young men" one of the cues of the year!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Powell's got How To Train Your Dragon next year. Now that's something I really am looking forward to! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Steven wrote

applause
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Medal Of Honor
    I could listen to this anytime. Perfect from beginning to end. One of my all time favorites. cool
    kill

My first glimpse at Giacchino as a small boy. This and the lost world. Brought a whole new level to video games.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Pirates Of The Caribbean (Suites) - Hans Zimmer and co.

punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    omaha wrote
    Medal Of Honor
    I could listen to this anytime. Perfect from beginning to end. One of my all time favorites. cool
    kill

My first glimpse at Giacchino as a small boy. This and the lost world. Brought a whole new level to video games.

This was my first introduction to Giacchino...and I didn't even reliase it for several years as I was just a gamer back then. cheesy
  1. NP: NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM 2 VG -- Chris Tilton

Welcome at course "how to ape John Williams" most effectively shocked
    Nice music though
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, this kind of works, either coming from the newman's or the Powell's of the world (with exceptions like Chicken Run, finding nemo, happy feet etc) all sound the same-ish to me; some brilliant moments and a lot of cartoon filler music. I am not wetting my pants, but i can see how and others would; give me Paycheck or Bourne Supremacy or even UNITED 93 any day; talking about inventive film scoring.

You know whose animated scores are amazing? James Horner's. Barely a sniff of mickey-mousing, but balletic, through-composed accompaniment. Has ANYONE else even tried doing that? Horner did it beautifully on several occasions.

Indeed.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Legend Of Four Gods (or something like that... forgot the proper English title) - Joe Hisaishi

This is my "second" first listen... I mean, I didn't have enough time to play whole album at "first" first listen dizzy

I'm in the middle part, and so far, I really like the main theme (pure Hisaishi, reminds me of the awesome Kids Return theme cool ), and pompous action cues are great. On some tracks I felt Korean/Asian sound & instruments are a little overused and sound typical, but other than that, I like what I hear! smile

Edit: Oh here comes the piano solo with his usual "signature" melody! biggrin Love it
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  2. My Life (John Barry)

Don't know but I never play this much. It's lovely but I never feel the urge to put this on, except for just now. Barry in soft melancholic mode is something that either you need to be in the mood for, or that puts you in the mood by itself, depending on the person. For me its the former.

Spacecamp (John Williams)

A little more upbeat and varied this one, it's classic 80s Williams inventiveness but mostly unknown by the general public, as it doesn't have that mass appeal, despite the brilliant concert version of the theme. My confession of the day is I'm playing a CD-R of it as I've never been able to find an original copy, or at least a not so expensive one. Still I was so happy to finally hear this lost Williams gem.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Miya wrote
    NP: The Legend Of Four Gods (or something like that... forgot the proper English title) - Joe Hisaishi

This is my "second" first listen... I mean, I didn't have enough time to play whole album at "first" first listen dizzy

I'm in the middle part, and so far, I really like the main theme (pure Hisaishi, reminds me of the awesome Kids Return theme cool ), and pompous action cues are great. On some tracks I felt Korean/Asian sound & instruments are a little overused and sound typical, but other than that, I like what I hear! smile

Edit: Oh here comes the piano solo with his usual "signature" melody! biggrin Love it

That score is SPECTACULAR! Make sure you listen to vol.2 as well!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    NP: Trio infernale - Ennio Morricone

Great. punk

Could "Rag nuziale" be Morricone's strangest music ever? spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Secret Weapons Over Normandy - Michael Giacchino

What a finale! cheesy punk