• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I'm not saying the music is bad, it does everything right. But I can't enjoy this when it is presented this way.

"Presented this way" meaning 45 tracks where most of them bleed into each other? Tell me, if you didn't look at the back of the CD and just listened to the album without prior knowledge of the track names and times would you still have the same reaction?

-Erik-

It's not the number of tracks Erik, the music is very fragmented and all over the place, with the exception of some tracks, suite-like ones.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Ratatouille - Michael Giacchino

I just watched it on DVD yesterday (haven't seen it since on theater!) and I can say it's the best Pixar story I've ever seen. And best score.

(I play this score almost everyday since I bought it, but I don't say so every time not to make everyone sleep . wink biggrin )
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  1. NP: The Dark Knight (Zimmer / Newton Howard)

Ironically, the only track I tend to skip is the 'Harvey Two-Face' track.
    Listening to it reminds me of what a strong film it was.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. NP: Surviving Picasso (Richard Robbins)

Fantastic minimalist score. My favourite of Robbins' Merchant-Ivory scores. (His only scores?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Journey of Natty Gann - James Horner

First listen...

Sublime Americana score featuring quite possibly one of greatest themes Horner has ever composed!

Guys - this score is DYNAMITE! Classic Horner. One of his finest. F__k the new scores coming out this year, throw your hard earned cash in Intrada's direction and play this one over and over again! This, my friends, is true film music GOLD! I can't see how ANYONE would be disappointed by this one! I'm going to spin it again! I'm so very thrilled and proud to own this gem!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Erik Woods wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

First listen...

Sublime Americana score featuring quite possibly one of greatest themes Horner has ever composed!

Guys - this score is DYNAMITE! Classic Horner. One of his finest. F__k the new scores coming out this year, throw your hard earned cash in Intrada's direction and play this one over and over again! This, my friends, is true film music GOLD! I can't see how ANYONE would be disappointed by this one! I'm going to spin it again! I'm so very thrilled and proud to own this gem!!!

-Erik-

I can't wait!
    I watched the film many times over the years just to hear this wonderful score.
    At last it is finally being released!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Jaws
    Listening to two of the releases. One of my favorite score dealing with the sea and adventure.

Farewell and adieu to you, Spanish Ladies,
    Farewell and adieu to you, ladies of Spain;

:sigh:
    I live in the wrong century... sad
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Miya wrote

I just watched it on DVD yesterday (haven't seen it since on theater!) and I can say it's the best Pixar story I've ever seen. And best score.

(I play this score almost everyday since I bought it, but I don't say so every time not to make everyone sleep . wink biggrin )

How often to do you listen to non-animation scores?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Anthony wrote

Almost everyday. wink More than half of my library are animation scores, but I still have some live-action scores to play (though I prefer to write about animated scores on NP thread biggrin )

NP: Dark Blue Almost Black - Pascal Gaigne

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Dark Knight (Zimmer / Newton Howard)

biggrin

But you must get some kind of enjoyment out it since you imply you return for repeat listens? It certainly fits the mood which you prefer to hear in scores, that much is certain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Miya wrote

(I play this score almost everyday since I bought it...)

How often do you listen to non-score albums? I will admit that it's 90% scores for me. I'm [almost] as obsessed with scores as a certain two members are about a certain individual score.

How odd it is that it seems normal to us to have a niche interest -i.e. scores- yet we deem it odd to have such a strong niche interest within a strong niche interest! biggrin (Joep anyone?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    It's 99% scores for me! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What's the other 1%?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Disney songs?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    A few songs from here and there, some classical albums.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    Disney songs?

I'll include them with scores under the category "film music". wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    So really it's 100%? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    More or less! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Mummy Returns Alan Silvestri

A great retort to crappy music being played from my brother's bedroom. I miss uni... roll on September!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Angela's Ashes - John Williams

First listen. Lovely themes!
  3. That's a great score indeed, Ravi.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I'm not saying the music is bad, it does everything right. But I can't enjoy this when it is presented this way.

"Presented this way" meaning 45 tracks where most of them bleed into each other? Tell me, if you didn't look at the back of the CD and just listened to the album without prior knowledge of the track names and times would you still have the same reaction?

-Erik-

It's not the number of tracks Erik, the music is very fragmented and all over the place, with the exception of some tracks, suite-like ones.

indeed, too much going on in too short moments
    the longest tracks are indeed the good ones

ah well, I prefer Bolt over the Ice Age's anytime
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

First listen...

-Erik-

God you're not helping my wallet. slant

I'm SO tempted to get this one, but it's a lot of money for a CD regardless of how good it may be! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Perfect Storm (Horner)

Wow, definetly horner was in love with his theme here (well, always he is).

it's one of my favourites scores from Horner, and one of the few scores I listen from this composer (With Apollo 13)

Does anyone else notice this Bernard Herrman moment in the middle some track ? tongue

NP: The 13th Warrior ( Goldsmith)

Addicted to it, again.

How i said, It doesn't have the vibrant and heroic action music and the love theme of First Knight.

But it's a great combination of the majeustosity of Mulan, the chorus of First Knight and the exotism of The Mummy.

"Swork Maker" is unexpectedly so joyful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Perfect Storm (Horner)

Wow, definetly horner was in love with his theme here (well, always he is).

it's one of my favourites scores from Horner, and one of the few scores I listen from this composer (With Apollo 13)

One of my favourites too. And can you blame him with being in love with the theme? wink

Does anyone else notice this Bernard Herrman moment in the middle some track ? tongue

... say what?
  5. Yeah, which middle track? lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The MIDDLE middle track, of course. rolleyes
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But is he counting all 10 tracks including the song, in which case there is no middle track, or just the 9 score tracks? (In which case the fifth track, 'The Decision To Turn Around', is the middle track.) Then of course there's...

<looks up to see an empty room>

Ah.
  6. Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Dark Knight (Zimmer / Newton Howard)

biggrin

But you must get some kind of enjoyment out it since you imply you return for repeat listens? It certainly fits the mood which you prefer to hear in scores, that much is certain.

Oh absolutely. I'm not criticising the music at all! If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't listen to it. I do think it helps a bit that it helps me remember a great film. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    <looks up to see an empty room>

Stuck in the middle.
    With you.
    Or stuck in a room with R2.

Free flow association is the bomb.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn