• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    "Arnhem" is a stunner; a cue written for an intense action sequence!

-Erik-

Excellent. And one of those beautiful and relaxing cues I like to play just before I go to sleep (which I´m about to do).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Listen to how it works in the game!

-Erik-

Thanks for the link, Erik.

I'll stick with the music away from the game.

I've never had any experience with this type of game - and that sequence just looked so tedious (the bit I watched of it.)

Just putting it into context. Initially the producers wanted another big epic action track but Michael thought that in this portion of the game an elegy of sort would fit the drama better (and he fought for it)... so, that's why Arnhem sounds the way it does.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I enjoy the Potter a little more than some of you. The big band cue was cool
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And from an old fart that could be saying something.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009 edited
    keky wrote
    Miya wrote
    Have you checked out Mononoke symphonic suite, Ravi? It's better as listening experience and a real goosebump generator. cool

Which symphonic version is the better one: the Image album or the Milan edition? At SAE it says the Image album has a bit more more tracks and no vocals, the Milan symphonic suite has less tracks and performed by the Czech Symphonic Orchestra. I'm not familiar with either of them but I definitely know that I don't want to get the album with the 33 (!!!) tracks. So which version would you suggest?

"Image Album" of Mononoke is not a symphonic suite. I don't have it yet, but I heard it's performed by a small group of musicians and/or synthesizers. It's a kind of demo suite (and songs), inspired by the storyboards, concept arts, and poems by Miyazaki. Some themes were not used in the movie eventually, and arrangements are also different from the final score.

Studio Ghibli has an unique process on music, they usually release "Image Album" before movie's release. Some Image Albums of recent films have orchestra performance (apparently they have enough money to spend for film scores! cool ), but older Image Albums don't.

"Princess Mononoke: Symphonic Suite" is indeed performed by Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, and its arrangement and performance are amazing. I highly recommend it cool

(this page has useful information smile http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Fuji/9270/cd.html)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    The Count of Monte Cristo
    Edward Shearmur

I hope he gets more opportunities to do stuff like this and Reign of Fire
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Boy Who Could Fly - Bruce Broughton

It must be great flying with this music...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Curly Sue - Georges Delerue

Sweet and lovely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Southall wrote

Sweet and lovely.

One of my favourites by Delerue! punk

Played:

Frost/Nixon - Hans Zimmer
    I have mixed feelings about this score. There are some tracks, that are very good, the rest seemed kind of filler music to me. And, oh, that last track "First Ideas"... I guess, it is put together by Zimmer's first ideas of the music. Unfortunately it sounds like a 10 year old practicing on his first synthesizer; really awful, almost unlistenable. I understand that without it the length of the album would be 30+ minutes, but still, I can't really comprehend why they put it on the CD.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Listen to how it works in the game!

-Erik-

Thanks for the link, Erik.

I'll stick with the music away from the game.

I've never had any experience with this type of game - and that sequence just looked so tedious (the bit I watched of it.)

Just putting it into context. Initially the producers wanted another big epic action track but Michael thought that in this portion of the game an elegy of sort would fit the drama better (and he fought for it)... so, that's why Arnhem sounds the way it does.

-Erik-

While the game has incredibly dated for me with its repetitive linearity and scripted you-know-whats-coming routines and, back in 2002 it was a kickass FPS and that music always worked splendidly there. I didn't know Michael had a hard time to incorporate it into the score, so much better as an elegy than just an other full blown action cue which the score has plenty of already.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    None But The Brave - John(ny) Williams

This a fine score from young Johnny composed in 1964.
    You can hear glimpses of Star Wars in places here (just a little).
    I can certainly hear strong similarities to Lost In Space and Land Of The Giants which he wrote soon after. I like that! But then I love his work for those Irwin Allen shows.
    This is quite a departure from his jazzy comedy scores from this era.
    A great release from FSM. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Pirates Of The Caribbean - Curse Of The Black Pearl - Klaus Badelt, Hans Zimmer and co.

Swashbuckling fun! punk
  2. I wouldn't call it swashbuckling even if, ironically, with all the anti-traditional stuff about the score, it DOES work like a typical pirate score in the film, with the same illustration methods used.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I think it's the closest the score series gets to swashbuckling, apart from Up Is Down in AWE. wink
  3. The whole third score is a swashbuckler, but simply more dramatic. The thing is in the rhythm smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The second half of I Don't Think... definitely is.
  4. It's also in the attitude Hans took with the themes. Hoist the Colors (especially the suite) has something swashbuckling to it and the way he reworks the theme too. Also listen to Brethren Court. Action music in third and sixth tracks also deserves such notion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Ah, ok. I never noticed that much because when I think of swashbuckling the first thing that comes to mind is Cutthroat Island! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    Ah, ok. I never noticed that much because when I think of swashbuckling the first thing that comes to mind is Cutthroat Island! biggrin

And the first thing I think of is Erich Wolfgang Korngold!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Whose convention is basically reworked by Debney.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

-Erik-

Sea Hawk? I must listen to that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom

-Erik-

He set the bar impossibly high when it came to scoring pirate material.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    Sea Hawk? I must listen to that one.

Yes you must... if you haven't heard it before then it is time again for everyone's favourite shameless plug.

http://www.geocities.com/cinematicsound/gerhardt.html

Near the end of the Hour 1 of Show #1 you can hear a 6 minute plus suite.

There are also a ton of other swashbucklers heard during that 4 part tribute. The Adventure of Don Juan by Max Steiner is heard during Hour 2 of Show #4. It one of my favourites.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Indeed. If not, what´s the point in posting ONLY what are you playing with zero information, not even a line?

Exactly... save that for the FSM Now Playing thread filled with hundreds and hundreds of posts with only album covers! sleep

-Erik-

Wow, very informative and appealing for the readers slant

Oh, and I hate, HATE, forums filled with avatars and pictures.

Avatars and pictures is the smaller of problems with the FSM forums wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    Yes you must... if you haven't heard it before then it is time again for everyone's favourite shameless plug.

http://www.geocities.com/cinematicsound/gerhardt.html

Near the end of the Hour 1 of Show #1 you can hear a 6 minute plus suite.

There are also a ton of other swashbucklers heard during that 4 part tribute. The Adventure of Don Juan by Max Steiner is heard during Hour 2 of Show #4. It one of my favourites.

-Erik-

Thanks! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote
    Southall wrote

Sweet and lovely.

One of my favourites by Delerue! punk

Played:

Frost/Nixon - Hans Zimmer
    I have mixed feelings about this score. There are some tracks, that are very good, the rest seemed kind of filler music to me. And, oh, that last track "First Ideas"... I guess, it is put together by Zimmer's first ideas of the music. Unfortunately it sounds like a 10 year old practicing on his first synthesizer; really awful, almost unlistenable. I understand that without it the length of the album would be 30+ minutes, but still, I can't really comprehend why they put it on the CD.

One of those scores i've came to wholly appreciate and enjoy in the film, but have listened on CD very limited times since. As a standalone listening experience, like most of those little, small-scale Zimmer quirky scores, doesn't have anything particularly impressive or important to offer on CD.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Medal of Honor: Frontline - Michael Giacchino

Easily one of his best scores! punk
  6. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: LAND OF THE LOST -- Michael Giacchino

too freaky for me, one style after another, one good moment after a weaker one dizzy

it's decent, but no way will this return into my playing list, I'll make a compilation cue out of it

done smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. Can't get into LOTL either. Very strange Giacchino.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    Can't get into LOTL either. Very strange Giacchino.

there are moments he unleashes his amazing voice, but not enough and sadly around too much wild material

ah well, at least it is still creative
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh