• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2009
    Steven wrote
    You can stop it now though William.
    Joke's over.

angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2009
    Memphis Belle George Fenton

Ahh, wonderful British pomp. cool
  1. Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, this kind of works, either coming from the newman's or the Powell's of the world (with exceptions like Chicken Run, finding nemo, happy feet etc) all sound the same-ish to me; some brilliant moments and a lot of cartoon filler music. I am not wetting my pants, but i can see how and others would; give me Paycheck or Bourne Supremacy or even UNITED 93 any day; talking about inventive film scoring.

You know whose animated scores are amazing? James Horner's. Barely a sniff of mickey-mousing, but balletic, through-composed accompaniment. Has ANYONE else even tried doing that? Horner did it beautifully on several occasions.

Joe Hisaishi comes to mind, but otherwise, it's rare. The ICE AGE movies don't call for it, I suspect, because they're very high-energy setpiece-driven one-joke-every-minute films. It doesn't matter so much that it's animation, you'd score the live action version in a similar fashion I think.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Fashionable or not, i love that score, as i do with ANGELS AND DEMONS. Top works, top modern composer for what he does, he does it brilliantly, otherwise he wouldn't be at the business top as we speak.

Ditto!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: the 13th Warrior (Goldsmith)

it's not so thematically rich than The Mummy. And it doesn't have the vibrant action from from First Knight. But the 13th Warrior has an irrestitible feeling of majestuosity!

I love this little fanfarres in tracks like "underwater scape".
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009 edited
    Attila - Nick Glennie-Smith

Nice, melodic epic score by Glennie-Smith. The main theme and the many battle music are the highlights. The use of the choir is typical Media Ventures stuff, though (it really reminds me of Crimson Tide) And the movie was not bad at all, either! (I especially liked how they made one of the most fierce man in history a positive hero smile)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Ousama no resutoran: Restaurant De Roi (= King's Restaurant) - Takayuki Hattori

This was my mom's favorite TV drama when I was a kid. I enjoyed it too, even if I don't remember in detail... it was really funny comedy/drama. I remember the score too, which is still popular and used a lot on TV shows.

This score, especially main title is overly pompous, overly classical... but it fit this comedy really well! biggrin Emotional quiet pieces are also nice. Very fun and pleasant listen.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Stop Loss - John Powell

The jarring similarity of the main theme to that of Rachel Portman's main composition to Hart's War notwithstanding, this is an interesting and -for Powell standards- lowkey score. Good and diverse material, with a clear committment to the subject matter.
    Not overly dramatic or gripping though, and as easily forgotten as listened to.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: the 13th Warrior (Goldsmith)

it's not so thematically rich than The Mummy. And it doesn't have the vibrant action from from First Knight. But the 13th Warrior has an irrestitible feeling of majestuosity!

I love this little fanfarres in tracks like "underwater scape".

yeeeeees!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: The Egyptian - Bernard Herrmann & Alfred Newman

Whatta score. WHATTA score!
    Not an easy listen by any means, but so very rewarding. The mastery, power and sheer understanding of music's power just oozes off it. Newman provides -as is wont- a wonderfully warm, intimate and powerful theme and variations, and Herrmann weaves it into a seriously disturbing and addictive set of cues.

It's really the best of both worlds: Newman's Romantic tendency towards the sweet and reflective is perfectly balanced by Herrmann's far harsher and violent Romanticism.

I'm listening to the FSM restored version rather than the Stromberg/Morgan rerecording.
    For all the love I have for both gentlemen (who have earned their spot in Heaven a thousandfold), I find the rerecording of The Egyptian rather lacklustre and in shrill contrast to the emotion and dynamic of the original.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

The jarring similarity of the main theme to that of Rachel Portman's main composition to Hart's War notwithstanding, this is an interesting and -for Powell standards- lowkey score. Good and diverse material, with a clear committment to the subject matter.

Absolutely in love with this heartbreakingly beautiful score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

It may be beautiful, but all those tiny little short tracks... angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Right Stuff/North and South - Bill Conti
    The London Symphony Orchestra

Classical rip offs and all, The Right Stuff is still a highly enjoyable score and this 20 minute suite is absolutely superb. Brilliant performance and stunning sound quality. But I think the LSO saved their best performance for the classic North and South main theme - one of Conti's very best. The horns sound magnificent!!!! A great, GREAT album and my hat is off to Eric Tomlinson for the brilliant recording!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. NP: ICE AGE 3 -- John Powell

I can't enjoy such a lousy produced album. One of the worst produced albums I've ever come across

The music isn't better than Ice Age 2 and definitely not Ice Age 1
    so dissapointment
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: The Young Victoria - Ilan Eshkeri

Media Ventures with a baroque twist.
    This is actually very enjoyable. Ilan has a good ear for melody and very pleasing orchestration.
    It's not very deep or intensely satisfying intellectually, and in fact there are many of the old Zimmer "Emo Button" tricks (ascending minors into a major catharsis and stuff like that) but that's OK. It's not a copy nor a rip-off and the fact that Ilan does manage to emotionally push all the right buttons only serves to ingratiate him, as far as I'm concerned.

Very nice. Very nice indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: ICE AGE 3 -- John Powell

I can't enjoy such a lousy produced album. One of the worst produced albums I've ever come across

so dissapointment

Am I the only one who thinks Ice Age 3 is one of Powell´s best efforts regarding animation movies?

Yes I am.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Marselus wrote
    Yes I am.

Yes.
    You are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Yes I am.

Yes.
    You are.

Thanks.

I´ll restart my medication then.
  3. Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: ICE AGE 3 -- John Powell

so dissapointment

Am I the only one who thinks Ice Age 3 is one of Powell´s best efforts regarding animation movies?

Yes I am.

I'm not saying the music is bad, it does everything right. But I can't enjoy this when it is presented this way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote

Now that´s quite appealing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It IS! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I'm not saying the music is bad, it does everything right. But I can't enjoy this when it is presented this way.

"Presented this way" meaning 45 tracks where most of them bleed into each other? Tell me, if you didn't look at the back of the CD and just listened to the album without prior knowledge of the track names and times would you still have the same reaction?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

"Presented this way" meaning 45 tracks where most of them bleed into each other? Tell me, if you didn't look at the back of the CD and just listened to the album without prior knowledge of the track names and times would you still have the same reaction?

-Erik-

perhaps, because the music just continues to flow in one another, allowing you no rest. Besides, I wasn't a big fan of the second as well, too long for my liking. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    perhaps, because the music just continues to flow in one another, allowing you no rest. Besides, I wasn't a big fan of the second as well, too long for my liking. shame

So, it more album length.

-Erik-
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

So, it more album length.

-Erik-

that and the relentless nature of the beast
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    WP: Odna (Alone) - Dimitri Shostakovich
    Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Mark Fitz-Gerald

Written for an early 30's silent film. I'm not sure how to describe this but it's a little too classical for my tastes. I think I have to be in the right mood to listen to this and right now Odna really isn't doing anything for me. However, I will add that the sound quality is superb and the performance of the score is splendid.

I've moved onto...

NP: Miklos Rozsa - A Centenary Celebration - Miklos Rozsa

Much better! A solid 3 CD compilation of re-recorded suites and original recordings of some of Rozsa's greatest scores and a few lesser known works.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Journey of Natty Gann - James Horner

First listen...

Sublime Americana score featuring quite possibly one of greatest themes Horner has ever composed! It's going to be interesting to spin Bernstein's rejected score after I'm done with this.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

-Erik-

That's exactly what I did when I got the album. I knew there were a bunch of short tracks, but by simply not looking at the back of the case on the timer on my CD player I didn't notice a thing. And guess what - I enjoyed it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009
    keky wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

It may be beautiful, but all those tiny little short tracks... angry

It flows along very naturally, one track interweaving into the other, almost you can't tell smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009
    Marselus wrote
    Martijn wrote

Now that´s quite appealing.

Want.