• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2008
    Loved EASTERN PROMISES. Very good movie.

Also watched THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL which put me into a good sleep right after the half-hour. Bore-fest.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. That knife fight in EASTERN PROMISES. What a (muscle-and-tendon) ripper!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    That knife fight in EASTERN PROMISES. What a (muscle-and-tendon) ripper!

literally!
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkck
    franz_conrad wrote
    markck wrote
    I wasn't familiar with the score to Compass before I saw the movie (or the reactions - I guess I wasn't paying attention at the time). It was fine for awhile, but it became cloying and overdone IMHO. Ok, everything is magical and mystical but did it require all that repeated overblown musical pomp? I got it after the first dozen locations and vehicles were presented.

Although I'm a big fan of the score, I do think there are moments when it doesn't 'rub up well' onscreen, and those big moments you describe are a good example. I feel like they're trying to tell me its epic, rather than feeling it's epic.

Precisely. After a while, it was just too much.

franz_conrad wroteDefinitely a case where the director's instincts (asking for LAWRENCE OF ARABIA music) were questionable. It's fine on the CD, but in the film, probably not the best score those scenes could have had.ooed the filmmakers years ago when they got going.

I can see where that may be true. It sounded like very sumptuous music - which can be quite rewarding - in this case, sans film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Hey, a horse is a horse.
    Of course.
    (Of course!)
    And NO ONE can talk to a horse.
    Of course.

There was an old lady who swallowed a horse.....

time to stop shame
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

literally!

I sat there with my jaw dangling on the floor, amazing scene, but I was wondering is the scene in any way censored in the U.S.? We saw the whole deal, if you know what I mean. biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkck
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2008 edited
    I recently watched The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. It's really not generally my type of movie (I tried reading a LeCarré book once, but couldn't get through it). However, after watching it I must say that this is one of the finer examples of a gritty, paranoid spy thriller that I've seen. Heavy on plot and story, light on action. Burton's absolutely great (of course), although I think it would have been neat if they'd have had Sir Alec play George Smiley... The black and white film is perfect for the story - the DVD was very well restored. The music...I think the music was just right. It is used quite sparingly and really wasn't needed all that often. In fact, there were points where they had musical cues that I didn't really think they needed them based on the rest of the movie. There was a scene in a cabaret with boisterous music that played completely opposite of the on-screen action. For some reason that seemed to be very clever to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Mad Love with Peter Lorre and a very early Tiomkin score
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    DreamTheater wrote

There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson): Not as absorbing or stunning as Magnolia by Anderson, but one hell of a movie, because of long dialogue-filled shots, an intruiging story and one incredible performance by Mr. Daniel Day-Lewis. It never ceases to amaze how he can just get into his character to the point where he becomes him. He is truly one of the finest actors alive on the planet, period. His portrayal of a charismatic, yet troubled oil-prospector is reason alone to check out this one out.

This movie was very well done. Mr. Lewis was fantastic in all respects. Just his mustache made it awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Watched Australia yesterday. One of if not my favorite film of the year. The most beautiful scenery I've seen since Lawrence of Arabia. Well, maybe even batter. Excellent story, acting, and music. A score I definitely want to check out.

It is about 3 hours long but I was transported into the film and didn't notice. I'll actually be seeing this one again in theaters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2008 edited
    30 Days Of Night

Hailed as a "different" kind of vampire film, it's pretty much The Lost Boys updated for a kinder and gentler millennium: i.e. more viscious and above all, more gory.
    The plot is simple enough: motorcycle gang...errr...roaming band of vampires run into the northernmost town in the US just before the sun will set for a month (now that was a clever plot device, I have to admit!). They grunt and grumble and make these semi-animalistic ferocious snarls and growls that are supposed to be scary and primal (but oddly detract, especially as they take up so much time! It's like watching a wrestler flex for ten minutes before he actually fights!), and kill most of the town (being alternately slow as zombies and fast as a bat out of hell, depending on the artistic need of any specific scene rolleyes ) and loads of fun, blood and explosions are had by all before one of the oddest conclusions in film history yet.

Interesting setting and not-bad digital photography (loads of semi-slow motion snow flake action shots) does not over come the film's weaknesses.
    The main one is that it's simply not very exciting, leave alone scary. The direction is so aloof that I coldn't give a tuppence about any of the characters. There's no tension being built, no proper narrative. And that's a shame because all the classic elements of the genre are present: small group of survivors, trapped, trying to make it till daybreak while the monster hunts them.
    I wasn't surprised in the least to see that director David Slade's accolades consist mainly of music videos. This very much plays like one...but without the music.

Secondly, it's gory. Not in a "body being ripped into two in slo-mo by an industrial shredder" kinda way (though there is that too), but the vampires seem to have adapted the whole blood thing to be a fashion statement as well! They all walk around with blood all over their chin, cheek and breast, ALL the time! We learn late in the movie that the vampires possess a keen sense of smell, and you might think leaving blood all over your face for a month might at one point become slighly offensive.... but no.
    Thing is that this visual effect might come off as shocking when a vampire has just been feeding, to hammer down the ferociousness of it all. But to have 'em walk around as a matter of default like that, is rather more cause for a "wash behind your ears, young man!" kneejerk reaction than one of panic and fright.

Oh well.
    2 out of 5

Music by Brian Reitzell is pretty much in the Haslinger vein. It serves the film well.
    2 out of 5
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2008
    Tonight it is going to be Black Narcissus for me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote

Great Brian Easedale score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. sdtom wrote

ONE OF THE BEST EVER !!!!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    sdtom wrote

ONE OF THE BEST EVER !!!!

It's certainly one of the most gorgeous looking films ever, Jack Cardif's cinematography is stunning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Excellent choice. Excellent.
    One of the finest P&P films, with absolutely stunning photography and a truly eerie atmosphere.
    A huge personal favourite.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

literally!

I sat there with my jaw dangling on the floor, amazing scene, but I was wondering is the scene in any way censored in the U.S.? We saw the whole deal, if you know what I mean. biggrin

Not censored here either, to the great delight of the female audiences.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Excellent film!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You'd never seen it before, Tom? (I take it you were taling about Black Narcissus)
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I need a 'gun pointed to the head' smilie right about now...

Pft, emo.

LOL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Journey To The Center Of The Earth

Really fun, entertaining, childish (in a good sense) and (what I like the most in this kinda films) unpretentious film. I´ve enjoyed it from start to finish.
    Lockington´s wall to wall score is perfect and shines in every single sequence.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So did they screw the book over?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Just saw Bolt with family. Good film, much better than expected, and John Powell's score rocks! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    So did they screw the book over?

Well if you expect a great adaptation of the book forget it. If you want an hour and a half of shameless fun and adventure, go for it. Don´t expect more than that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I guess i won't go for it. I loved the book as a child and i really don't want to see anything else than a serious cinematic adaptation of it. So, 'till someone actually does that, i think i'll spare me the 2 hours wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008 edited
    Yeah actually with nowadays technology they could make a great adaptation of the book. I wonder why nobody hasn´t yet.

And, as usually happens, I appreciate more Lockington´s score now
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I had never seen it
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Has anyone seen Largo Winch?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I guess i won't go for it. I loved the book as a child and i really don't want to see anything else than a serious cinematic adaptation of it. So, 'till someone actually does that, i think i'll spare me the 2 hours wink

Have you seen the old Herrmann scored movie D ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nop