• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008
    WANTED

Very enjoyable super powered assassins schlock.

Angelina Jolie needs to eat some pies though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote

Yeah, or some kebabs. And urgently.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yeah, or some kebabs. And urgently.

Just ANYTHING!!!! She desperately needs some meat on her skinny bod.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh god yes. Such a shame to see someone as hot as her go the way of the skinny dodo.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Oh god yes. Such a shame to see someone as hot as her go the way of the skinny dodo.

Even worse she's turning into the dreaded lollipop head.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Castaway is a classic
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Did anyone see Jolie in Changeling?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    Did anyone see Jolie in Changeling?

Not me yet but i've heard she's pretty, pretty good. Same goes for the movie. Looking forward to watching it first-hand.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2008
    Jolie is excellent
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I watched for likely the 50th time Dark Passage with Humphrey Bogart and Bacall. This is a definite sleeper film that I think all would like.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Just watched the Usual Suspects for the first time. Good crime movie. Excellent ending. Spacey is perfect in the role.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    omaha wrote
    Just watched the Usual Suspects for the first time. Good crime movie. Excellent ending. Spacey is perfect in the role.

Great film.

Far better than HANCOCK

Superhero mis-fire.....RUBBISH!

Powell score is so so but it does develop into a very good theme later in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Far better than HANCOCK

You thought so? sad
    I just watched that film yesterday, and I was really entertained.
    Not as clever as it might have been, but an interesting premise, delivered with panache by both leads. And this was the very first time I thought Will Smith put in a likeable and believable performance. And at 92 minutes, the film didn't overstate its point either.
    I really enjoyed it, including Powell's score (which admittedly was pretty auto-pilot, but not bad).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Far better than HANCOCK

You thought so? sad
    I just watched that film yesterday, and I was really entertained.
    Not as clever as it might have been, but an interesting premise, delivered with panache by both leads. And this was the very first time I thought Will Smith put in a likeable and believable performance. And at 92 minutes, the film didn't overstate its point either.
    I really enjoyed it, including Powell's score (which admittedly was pretty auto-pilot, but not bad).

I enjoyed it too. But then if a film manages to entertain me for the whole running time, I tend not to have problems with its shortcomings. (I've enjoyed most major films that have been released this year come to think of it.) I thought Smith was excellent as Hancock, great to see him in a more comic role again.

And Theron was fiiiiiiiiine. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2008 edited
    ^ I'm with Martijn and Steven. I really enjoyed Hancock. I think I enjoyed it more so than Iron Man. And I thought that Powell's score was wonderful however I am finding his action scores to be more on the auto-pilot side of things.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Maybe I was in the wrong mood? I've felt miserable the last couple of days with flu like syptoms ( I can't remember the last time these viruses hit over and over ).

Maybe I'll change my mind on a future viewing....maybe? It wouldn't be the first time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    you all should watch Dark Passage!!!!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote

Seen it!

I wouldn't mind watching it again though, I love classic old films.

I watched Double Indemnity a few weeks back, excellent film and great score by Miklos Rozsa.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote

You should watch Peter Jackson's King Kong!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I did Erik and I found it to be enjoyable. You'd like Dark Passage. Could you imagine having the #1 box office attraction all bandaged for 1/2 the film. Agnes Morehead was really nasty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I loved Jackson's KING KONG. Everything was spot-on and perfect imho. What is that soul up to lately? That HOBBIT thingy?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I loved Jackson's KING KONG. Everything was spot-on and perfect imho. What is that soul up to lately? That HOBBIT thingy?

It was far from perfect but damn it was enjoyable! The goofy dinos were a helluva lot of fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    What Erik was talking about is my love for the original.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

Like Timmer said... far from perfect but a fabulous re-make! Trim an hour or so and you have a great 2 hour adventure film with some of the most spectacular special effects I've seen in this post Jurassic Park CGI world!

As for Jackson's next project... he has directed The Lovely Bones, is knee deep into producing The Hobbit and will be working with Steven Spielberg on TinTin. Spielberg will direct the first film and Jackson will direct the sequel.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It is very spectacular indeed. And deeply entertaining. One of the aspects i consider as perfect - along with cinematography, it's the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The original score IMHO was superior
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NO QUESTION and NO CONTEST!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No question on it's place in film history.

But with differing opinions there is always contest.

but we've been here before rolleyes wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DIFFERING opinions?
    You mean RIGHT and WRONG opinions, right?
    dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    sdtom wrote
    The original score IMHO was superior

The original King King score was groundbreaking, the first "true" dramatic film score as we know it, but as far as which one is more "enjoyable"? I'm just such a bigger fan of JNH. When Steiner does Don Juan and Flame and the Arrow nothing can touch him, but dramatic stuff like King Kong and She... hm, sorry if I blaspheme but it's all rather "vague" music to me.

Another viewing from last weekend:

A History of Violence: painfully short that starts off in a captivating "IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU!" but soon relies on a good old Deus Ex Machina to keep the plot going. I wish it hadn't. Many movies have been hurt by the "convenient" inclusion of a mental disorder to drive drama. Great LotR-style score by Shore, though. If anything, I thought the LotR similarities were even more obvious while watching the film than on CD!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me