• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2008
    The Marco Polo is the same as the Naxos
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2008
    sdtom wrote
    The Marco Polo is the same as the Naxos

I'm still not quite sure if I have the version you recommend, still. Are these the Stromberg/Morgan releases? I do seem to recall those names on that release (if not there, then on my others on my shelf).
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008
    omaha wrote
    Watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang last night.

Fantastic film - top-notch writing with some hilarious one-liners.
  1. Just watched The Orphanage (El Orfanato)

I was interested the moment I heard the wonderful score by Fernando Velazquez, and this movie didn't dissapoint. You can see this as a ghost story but in fact it is much deeper. The scary scenes are sparse but my god effective. You just don't see them coming. And the end is in fact entirely believable (if you don't take it too seriously)

Sadly the score is a little drowned out, and too much in the background. But ah we can't have a Stardust every time eh wink

8 out of 10, I liked it smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Just watched The Orphanage (El Orfanato)

Sadly the score is a little drowned out, and too much in the background. But ah we can't have a Stardust every time eh wink

The final sequence with the main theme fully developed is amazing, both musically and dramatically. Glad you enjoyed it!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

The final sequence with the main theme fully developed is amazing, both musically and dramatically. Glad you enjoyed it!

Indeed, the whole final act is shockingly gripping and emotional, largely aided by the gorgeous score. The whole film is excellent built and performed, in fact it has set the standards for that genre of movies so high for me since, i am bound to be disappointed within each and every new project that wants to look and feel like that. The film springs pure brilliance in each and every frame, cut, acting and musical note. Do yourself a favor mate and get the score on CD if you haven't already; it's a real winner.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008
    Most of the film series that Marco Polo/Naxos did were Stromberg/Morgan. There are two major differences between the MP and Naxos. Liner notes are more complete and twice the price in the Marco Polo. From what I understand the series stopped due to the John Wayne estate over a likeness of him. It was the last straw for the company owner who frankly wanted nothing to do with Hollywood. The King Kong release is superb and one of my personal all time favorites. I've the OST and others but I really enjoy the Stromberg/Morgan the best.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008 edited
    ^ I re-listened to King Kong the other day. It's even less thematic than I remembered from my last listening! However, themes aren't everything. There's a LOT of action in there!!!! Me likes action!!! It's not the most accessible or gripping action, and after all Steiner is known for his mickey-mousing technique, and I'd take some Rozsa action over King Kong's action any day, but it's still quite good stuff.

But still an ocean away in quality compared to Don Juan, in my opinion. What are other people's thoughts on that score??? I'd really like to know what you think, even if you disagree!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Indeed, the whole final act is shockingly gripping and emotional, largely aided by the gorgeous score. The whole film is excellent built and performed, in fact it has set the standards for that genre of movies so high for me since, i am bound to be disappointed within each and every new project that wants to look and feel like that. The film springs pure brilliance in each and every frame, cut, acting and musical note. Do yourself a favor mate and get the score on CD if you haven't already; it's a real winner.

who do you think reviewed the score here? wink I'm so glad I've bought the score in Spain while I was visiting. It is a gorgeous score, but as said it isn't really heard inside the movie, too soft sometimes. But the final sequence is indeed gorgeous

Ah a simply great movie, as it should be all the time
  3. The Day the Earth Stood Still

I haven't seen the original but a robot and a sort of alien globe says enough for me I was going to see something in the vein of War of the Worlds

I don't really know if something is positive about this movie, it has an important and just question but the whole build up is non existant, it moves too slow, the special effects and everything you see in the trailer sums it up in about 10 min and the acting is just average. Plus, where's the goddam feeling you supposed to have at the end of the movie? Like The Happening it makes me feel void and just unresolved, it needed a quote (like War of the Worlds did so effectively)

There's one good line in the movie, that made me feel what I was expecting all along.

The score by Bates opened somewhat promisingly but didn't heighten the movie nor gave me something to look forward at the CD. It is bleak, sometimes emotional but I'll doubt there will be much to remember it by. Plus some great scenes were scored so atmosheric it was dissapointing as well. a 5 or 6 I don't know yet

As for the movie average, but I didn't enjoy it. It is not bad, but not good as well. Average movie that leaves me wanting for more. I hope the original is better because I barely got an emotional vibe out of this one

5,5 or 6 out of 10
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The Day the Earth Stood Still

There's one good line in the movie, that made me feel what I was expecting all along.

Klaatu barada nikto?
    wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Klaatu barada ni*coughcoughcough*
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2008
    I went and saw Australia again. Amazing even the second time. I'm waiting for news on this score!!!!

Anyone else see it yet?
    I know it is out in the states.
    Not yet for Europe though.
  4. Thomas Glorieux wrote

As for the movie average, but I didn't enjoy it. It is not bad, but not good as well. Average movie that leaves me wanting for more. I hope the original is better because I barely got an emotional vibe out of this one

5,5 or 6 out of 10

Nah, it already didn't look too great judging from the trailer. I'll give it a miss then. Damn I need a brilliant sci-fi soon or I'll just go make my own!

A.V.A.T.A.R. (please be with us soon!!!!)
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Martijn wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Klaatu barada nikto?
    wink

hehe, okay two good lines biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Watched Glory for the first time yesterday. Very well done.

Watching Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid right now. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    That is the problem when you try to remake a masterpiece
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Watch the original King Kong film again and then relisten to the soundtrack and remember that this is 1933
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Rewatched Road to Perdition last night and paid particular attention to the slime ball role Craig played in the film.
  6. HeeroJF wrote
    ^ I re-listened to King Kong the other day. It's even less thematic than I remembered from my last listening!
    hell, for a moment, you brought me close to a heart-attack. JNH fantastic score not thematic? Burn, witcher, burn... Then I realised what you had been talking about, and I calmed down. You´re excused now.

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008
    The themes in the original are all there. He just can't hear them, yikes !
    Thomas smile
  7. The Dark Knight
    I watched it on blu-ray yesterday and while spectacular looking and sounding, I found the movie to be downright awful... I must be the sole person on this planet that hates this new take on the Bat's adventures, and I don't think Batman Begins is a good movie either, just watchable. The Dark Knight is much worse, I just don't like Bale's portrayal of the hero, which I just cannot sympathize or connect with. And what's with his annoying voice whenever he puts on the costume??? Really, this film left me cold, while Ledger was of course very good in how he gave his character depth, it was definitely the only interesting character in the movie. The Dark Knight makes the Tim Burton films look like total masterpieces. I prefer those movies because of the humor in them, and the overal style and look of Gotham City and its inhabitants. Give me Jack Nicholson's Joker any day, at least that was an amusing part. And Michael Keaton was always great playing Batman. Of course nostalgia is playing a role here, but really those movies are a 100 times more entertaining than this new franchise.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    *still awaiting blu-ray copy to arrive*

This sucks. I've had a blu-ray player for 5 days now, and still the only film I have is what I got free with the player - National Treasure 2. sad sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Dark Knight
    I watched it on blu-ray yesterday and while spectacular looking and sounding, I found the movie to be downright awful... I must be the sole person on this planet that hates this new take on the Bat's adventures, and I don't think Batman Begins is a good movie either, just watchable. The Dark Knight is much worse, I just don't like Bale's portrayal of the hero, which I just cannot sympathize or connect with. And what's with his annoying voice whenever he puts on the costume??? Really, this film left me cold, while Ledger was of course very good in how he gave his character depth, it was definitely the only interesting character in the movie. The Dark Knight makes the Tim Burton films look like total masterpieces. I prefer those movies because of the humor in them, and the overal style and look of Gotham City and its inhabitants. Give me Jack Nicholson's Joker any day, at least that was an amusing part. And Michael Keaton was always great playing Batman. Of course nostalgia is playing a role here, but really those movies are a 100 times more entertaining than this new franchise.

Oh my god.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I must be the sole person on this planet that hates this new take on the Bat's adventures

Yup.
    But don't worry; we still love you.
    tongue
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. WASN´T ME!!!!! I HATE BURTON´S APPROACH!!! I LOVE NOLAN´S VERSION!!!

Please quote correctly or I´ll have to send in the Dark Troopers...
  9. That was personal lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oops!

shame
  10. np
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    RttV (Recently tried to View): Marco Polo
    Tan Dun's opera, while visually absolutely stunning with some of the best production values I've seen on stage ever (including wonderful sets and gorgous costumes) musically is too estranging for me, with the strangest of exotic influences mixed in with avant garde western music.

It doesn't come together and leaves me annoyed and confused after fifteen minutes already.
    Ten more minutes and I switched off: there's just no emotional connection whatsoever, just some vague intellectual appreciation of the composer's intentions.
    Not my thing AT ALL!