• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008
    A lovely continent, truly, but a bit heavy for a Monday.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It would be Wednesday.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    sdtom wrote
    The themes in the original are all there. He just can't hear them, yikes !
    Thomas smile

I didn't say King Kong was non-thematic, just less thematic than I ever remembered. Please try to express accurate thoughts about me. The motives are there (they're really not themes, they're motives at best, let's see them for what they are), but the real reason to appreciate that score is the driving and powerful action. Certainly not because of any crisp-and-clean Indy-March-style theme, here. But that's okay, like I said, themes aren't everything. Lots of my favourite scores are semi-thematic, too. Like a lot of Kamen works.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    They are interesting. But in a movie that lasts 103 min , they occupy 15 mins max. The rest is "gifted" with Keanu Reeves' "charming" performance and childish acting / chatting.

I think 15 min is pushing it, but indeed the trailer does make it seem like it is going to be some sort of roller coaster ride

And while I find the movie decent, it is one I just don't want to see again, no atmosphere, no feeling, no emotion, nothing

What a contrast with the immensely intense War of the Worlds of Spielberg
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Saw:

The Vanishing remake (7 out of 10)

While I enjoyed the movie and enjoyed the creepy performance of Bridges, I hate how the movie ends. This is a remake of the Dutch thriller Spoorloos by the same director, but he said the American audiences wouldn't accept the original ending. Booohoooo I say to that. The original ending is downright frightening and the only propper ending the story deserved. If you want to experience what she experienced, you have to drink. Well by experiencing and ultimately paying the price, it was the only explanation to the movie's plot as well. Still nice movie but I truly hate the happier ending angry

Mummy 3: Tomb of the Dragon Emperror (6 out of 10)

Fun movie, no doubt about it but I absolutely dislike the fact there's no chemistry between Bello and Fraser. Maria Bello has to replace Rachel Weisz and the wonderful chemistry is gone through that, giving the movie's fun vibe half the pleasure we witnessed in the first 2 movies. Like Gyllenhaal replacing Holmes in TDK, this is a replacement that hurts the emotional and the enjoyable side of the movie. It really hurts the rating because the movie is still rather fun. But what concerns me also is the fact Jet Li would kick Brendan Fraser's ass everytime, and here he can't defend some simple punches. It makes it all look unrealistic. The fights between Imhotep en Rick were much more believable in the first 2.

And surprise surprise, the best moment of the entire score by Randy Edelman in the movie isn't even heard on the score. I don't know but this seems to happen too often now with Varese releases and I'm really getting sick and tired of this (I'm talking about the stirring magic when they reach the temple with the bridge)

They Live by John Carpenter (7 out of 10)

I can sum this one up in several words. Plain old Carpenter fun. Typical 80's style, good humour at the end and a Carpenter style like all his others, I enjoyed this one for its look, humour and typical fun ending smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    They are interesting. But in a movie that lasts 103 min , they occupy 15 mins max. The rest is "gifted" with Keanu Reeves' "charming" performance and childish acting / chatting.

I think 15 min is pushing it, but indeed the trailer does make it seem like it is going to be some sort of roller coaster ride

And while I find the movie decent, it is one I just don't want to see again, no atmosphere, no feeling, no emotion, nothing

We agree completely then smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

We agree completely then smile

I think so too, because I want my 8 euro's back as well wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    i paid 10 cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Fun movie, no doubt about it but I absolutely dislike the fact there's no chemistry between Bello and Fraser. Maria Bello has to replace Rachel Weisz and the wonderful chemistry is gone through that, giving the movie's fun vibe half the pleasure we witnessed in the first 2 movies. Like Gyllenhaal replacing Holmes in TDK, this is a replacement that hurts the emotional and the enjoyable side of the movie. It really hurts the rating because the movie is still rather fun. But what concerns me also is the fact Jet Li would kick Brendan Fraser's ass everytime, and here he can't defend some simple punches. It makes it all look unrealistic. The fights between Imhotep en Rick were much more believable in the first 2.

And surprise surprise, the best moment of the entire score by Randy Edelman in the movie isn't even heard on the score. I don't know but this seems to happen too often now with Varese releases and I'm really getting sick and tired of this (I'm talking about the stirring magic when they reach the temple with the bridge)

You're going way too easy on that film. It should never have seen the light of day. slant
  4. Steven wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

You're going way too easy on that film. It should never have seen the light of day. slant

perhaps I'm too easy for it because I never expected to entertain me at all smile
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    i paid 10 cry

pure robbery shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I want to see Burn After Reading!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    I want to see Burn After Reading!

Oh you're gonna have such a great time!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I am not going to waste my money.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I saw Kung Fu Panda last weekend. Great fun!! Great depth, great action, and great music of course. Good jokes, but I didn't find myself slapping my thighs all too often. I expected nothing less from Dreamworks animation. This probably won't make it to be one of my top favourites animated movies, but I still greatly enjoyed it. Only real problem: not enough development and individuality for the supporting characters. A waste when you consider you have people Angelina Jolie and Jackie Chan in your cast.

Also saw: Re-Animator. GREAT STUFF! This was my first real introduction to H.P. Lovecraft lore, and this lived up to the expectation, complete with tentacle monster rape. And the Richard Band score update on Psycho fell in place perfectly!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And as far as King Kong is concerned someone is being way too sensitive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Well it's just kinda little weird being talked about in the third person, like I'm not here. No matter the topic, is all.
  6. It's THAT bad uh? :p I loved the original and I am curious for this one. Better just dl it when the dvd comes out.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    And surprise surprise, the best moment of the entire score by Randy Edelman in the movie isn't even heard on the score.

Are you sure it wasn't part of the 30 minutes of score Debney composed to replace Edelman's vomit-inducing music?
  7. Anthony wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    And surprise surprise, the best moment of the entire score by Randy Edelman in the movie isn't even heard on the score.

Are you sure it wasn't part of the 30 minutes of score Debney composed to replace Edelman's vomit-inducing music?

as far as I remember, it felt distinctly Edelman to me, but who knows indeed
    anyhoo Varese is doing this a lot these days (Hancock the Superman like theme, 24 the main theme version explained on the Intrada board, Hellboy basically almost everything and so on)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008
    What film are we talking about?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TRANSFORMERS

Turn off brain, accept eye candy = fun.

The score made my ears prick up once or twice.....but not enough to make me want it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That film rocks when you're drunk! silly
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    That film rocks when you're drunk! silly

Yeap! I can see that beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008 edited
    Megan Fox manages to reduce guys to a howling pack of wolves when we're sober... imagine what it's like when we're inebriated somewhat...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Megan Fox manages to reduce guys to a howling pack of wolves when we're sober... imagine what it's like when we're inebriated somewhat...

Mel watched it with me so I'm saying (lie) she ain't so hot (end of lie) wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    TRANSFORMERS
    The score made my ears prick up once or twice.....but not enough to make me want it.

Let me guess: the arrival to earth sequence ("Arrival to Earth") and the desert battle ("Skorponok")?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    TRANSFORMERS

Let me guess: the arrival to earth sequence ("Arrival to Earth") and the desert battle ("Skorponok")?

Good call Marcel, there were one or two other moments too but I'd have to see the film again.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Timmer wrote
    TRANSFORMERS

I borrowed this DVD from a friend a few months ago and I still didn't get around watching it. I will before I go back to work in January.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tintin wrote
    Timmer wrote
    TRANSFORMERS

I borrowed this DVD from a friend a few months ago and I still didn't get around watching it. I will before I go back to work in January.

Take Stevo's advice and get drunk ( ish ) beforehand beer wink