• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008
    Is Iron Man any good? Lots of reviews say it's ok, and lots of my friends love it. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My plan is to see The Day The Earth Stood Still on Wednesday.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Is Iron Man any good? Lots of reviews say it's ok, and lots of my friends love it. confused

Hell yes. One of the best comic book films I've seen! Very entertaining, well-made fun.
  1. If it comes to entertaining comic adaptations with lovable characters and actors, lots of humour, great effects, and a score that rocks (literally), you won´t find a better movie than Iron Man.

I loved it much more than the IMHO overrated X-Men movies.
  2. Anthony wrote

indeed, a great Robert Downey Jr. and a wonderful cool feel make of this another great movie by actor / director Jon Favreau, enjoyed Downey Jr's performance immensely smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. I had a good time watching Iron Man cool , which I cannot say about The Dark Knight angry
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. We heard about that. No need to explain further, heretic! angry

wink
  5. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    We heard about that. No need to explain further, heretic! angry

wink

I find myself being a heretic a lot lately when it comes to recent films, I cannot get into them like I used to, maybe I'm just getting old.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008 edited
    Nah, don´t worry. You´re just a Troll. It happens. beer

To be more serious: I see that a lot of people tend to review a movie based on the things they didn´t like instead of thinking about why it was worth watching.
    As I´ve said many times before, even in the worst of movies, there are things to like. You just have to want to find them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    I'm Trolling Heretic... That shall be my nickname from now on!!! wink

Well yes, I judge my opinion on how I feel once the movie is over, older movies I grew up with always give me a good feeling, newer ones do that too, but I find it a lot harder to be totally blown away by one these days. And on more that one occasion I just hate the flick, opposed to the rest of the world.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Well, it´s getting harder and harder to blow the audience away, because they use nothing more than wind these days... wink That´s why I learned to settle for lesser joys. It helps to feel better about spending so many bucks.

I rarely hate every aspect of a movie. Even Burton´s Planet of the Apes had an excellent Main Title sequence. Usually I have problems with movies which only end tragically just because they want to end tragically, or spend hours with nothing actually happening. I consider The English Patient to be my worst movie experience ever, closely followed by Howard´s End.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Watched Tombstone today. I love every aspect of this film. Including the score. It captures the western feel so well.
    Doc Holliday is one of the most interesting people of that era. I'm reading an excellent bio on him right now. In Valdosta, Georgia ( about 1.5 hours from my place) you can see where he grew up. The lot where his home was, you can actually go see his house that was moved to a different neighborhood, and a famous watering hole where he killed two men. It is so much fun tracking down history and seeing everything that is around you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Even Burton´s Planet of the Apes had an excellent Main Title sequence.

And Tim Roth, don't forget Tim Roth.

Actually, I quite enjoy that movie. I admit it's been a while since I've watched it though...
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    I bought the Horatio Hornblower series today. Has anyone seen it? Is it any good?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008
    THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL

The first time i have ever felt pity for the 10 euros admittance i paid for ANY movie i've EVER seen. And i won't even toss the slightest bit of my energy to talk about the vomitive waste that considers itself this movie's "original score".
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    On a violent contrast to

ROBOTS

First viewing on TV. Heartwarming, entertaining, clever and fun. The score by John Powell is a real treat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Yikes!!! It was that bad?
  6. @ TDTESS: I don´t know, I find the atmosphere that the trailers create to be very intriguing. Did you love or hate the trailers, Demetris, it might help me to decide whether I should risk it or not. You know I´m easily satisfied. "Loved trailer" or "Hated trailer" would suffice, since you don´t want to waste any time on it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I loved the trailers. But i felt cheated, big-time, especially by the ending, a pure showcase of "ooops, no more money, we didn't have a plan anyway so let's wrap it up quickly and head home for donuts!" I love large-scale disaster movies and believe me this one here doesn't have a reason of existence. You might try to watch it of course but suffice to say that all the action or anything actuall happening in the film is confined in that trailer, duration-wise.
  7. Oooooooooooooooooooooookay.

THANKS a lot for taking the time. I think I´ll pass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    D., did you see the Michael Rennie classic? How does it compare, story-wise?
    (I thought wooden faced Keanu Reeves standing in for wooden faced Rennie was an inspired though not very flattering bit of casting biggrin )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They took out the nuclear thingy and replaced it with THE HAPPENING-like ecological "earth is getting angry" stuff; only it is childishly acted - especially by a ludicrous Keannu Reeves, nothing explained, not enhanced further story-wise, nothing happens. And i was in SUCH a mood for a good, grand-scale destruction movie! War of the worlds looks and feel stunning in comparison.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    ...replaced it with THE HAPPENING-like ecological "earth is getting angry" stuff; only it is childishly acted...

So quite like The Happening then.

...nothing explained, not enhanced further story-wise...

Umm... yep.

...nothing happens.

Are you sure you didn't just re-watch The Happening. dizzy

Seriously, this is definitely something I won't be watching anytime soon. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thanks D.
    I'll pass.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, Lee. Call me a sucker for Shyamalan and James Newton Howard together which can very much positively pre-bias me towards their work but even The Happening despite the cold ending, HAD stuff going on throughout. The action in the looooong, tired and meaningless THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL is confined in the 2 minutes of the trailer, seriously. There's those tanks trying to blow up a big guy for a moment and that stadium being torn down; it's just THAT! God if i told you the ending you'd laugh your ass off as i DO now. I didn't when in the cinema though vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The trailer didn't interest me. The visual effects looked interesting though?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They are interesting. But in a movie that lasts 103 min , they occupy 15 mins max. The rest is "gifted" with Keanu Reeves' "charming" performance and childish acting / chatting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm glad that Martijn used the word classic when he talked about the original. I'm really considering an alternative plan if it is indeed that poor a film.
  8. Alternative plan? Your own remake?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Australia