• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    DIFFERING opinions?
    You mean RIGHT and WRONG opinions, right?
    dizzy

You know exactly what I mean o' broth stirrer.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I wasn't keen on HANCOCK when I saw it on the plane earlier this year. Character was good, Will Smith was good, but it never felt like a movie I wanted to see more of when I was watching it.

Christodoulides wrote
    I loved Jackson's KING KONG. Everything was spot-on and perfect imho. What is that soul up to lately? That HOBBIT thingy?

He's been making THE LOVELY BONES, and will make a TINTIN film next, I think.
    I still think KK was a film that could have been cut more efficiently. There was about an hour of trimming still to be done on it when I saw it on TV the other night. (Even little things like needlessly repeated reaction shots.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    I wasn't keen on HANCOCK when I saw it on the plane earlier this year. Character was good, Will Smith was good, but it never felt like a movie I wanted to see more of when I was watching it.

Christodoulides wrote
    I loved Jackson's KING KONG. Everything was spot-on and perfect imho. What is that soul up to lately? That HOBBIT thingy?

He's been making THE LOVELY BONES, and will make a TINTIN film next, I think.
    I still think KK was a film that could have been cut more efficiently. There was about an hour of trimming still to be done on it when I saw it on TV the other night. (Even little things like needlessly repeated reaction shots.)

It's as if I said almost the exact same thing 3 hours earlier. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. PLAGIARISM!!!! You copied my thoughts!!!!! shocked crazy slant

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Just finished Anthony Hopkins' Slipstream.
    CraZy movie. Really out there. Yet, very interesting. I really, truthfully don't know what I just saw though. cool

His score was very interesting.
    Anyone know where I can get it?
    What other films has he composed?

If anyone has thoughts on the film please share. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    I'm going through it again with his commentary. Just his dialogue in the very beginning is really helping a lot. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I can't WAIT for Tintin!!!!

Finally the world of European graphic novels will be exposed to America! About damn well time, too. Only, what 60 years late? I predict that if Tintin catches on (and with Spielberg and Jackson, I think it's a given), Astérix will be next. Waited all my life for America to wake up and discover these gems!!!!

Now all that's left is the metric system... u_u
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2008
    Anyone watched THE LOVELY BONES?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. You'd have to be working on the film to have seen it. It's not due out until next year. It's a much smaller-scale story compared to KONG and LOTR.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    HeeroJF wrote
    dramatic stuff like King Kong and She... hm, sorry if I blaspheme but it's all rather "vague" music to me.

See?
    Another wrong opinion!

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Go out and buy the Stromberg/Morgan version of King Kong, listen to it once a day for a week and then tell me it is vague. Sorry, I don't get it
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Go out and buy the Stromberg/Morgan version of King Kong, listen to it once a day for a week and then tell me it is vague. Sorry, I don't get it

Correct. It certainly isn't vague.

I prefer both Barry's and JNH's Kong over Steiner but that's just me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I prefer JNH's all over the rest shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Thematically Barry's score is by far the best! Have you ever heard the Barry score D?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Parts of it mate, i admit. But i doubt i'll like it more than the final Beauty killed the beast parts of JNH's score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Parts of it mate, i admit. But i doubt i'll like it more than the final Beauty killed the beast parts of JNH's score.

It's very diverse for a Barry score.

Oddly enough JNH's score has a similar feel to Barry's in parts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

Me too. We're of an different ilk to Tom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Me too. We're of an different ilk to Tom.

They are all completely different scores composed in very different styles. This one comes down to a matter of taste... as do most things... but I think we can agree that all three have their highlights.

I never really warmed up to Steiner's score... but then again, I have a hard time warming up to his music PERIOD! However, SHE was something that REALLY impressed me. But one thing that is for sure and indisputable is King Kong's place in film music history and how Steiner, with this score, helped shape dramatic film scores for the years to come.

Barry's King Kong is classic Barry and did a complete 180 compared to Steiner's. However, Barry's sound isn't to everyone liking... but how can you NOT love the film's love theme!

James Newton Howard's score is mean, raw and modern. I think that's the appeal to most here. The dated (doesn't mean they are great) sounds of the Barry and Steiner scores are the biggest turn off for most no matter how great the music is. But I will agree with Tom that the Morgan/Stromberg King Kong release is something that you have to experience. The score comes alive like it never had before... unless you were standing in the recording studio during the original recording of Steiner's in 1933.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2008 edited
    Never been a fan of Steiner in general either i must admit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2008
    I'm thinking of rocks in your head, yikes
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Barry theme is excellent I'll give him that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think Erik put it across very well, it's hard to disagree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2008
    Steiner to my knowledge never did perform or orchestrate much of his material to concert.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2008
    I've finished the Homicide book and now I'm checking out some of them from the library to see how the series is. So far nothing to do with the book.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2008
    Felt like watching Cloverfield last night. This one is always such a fun ride. All the talk of the end credits put me in the mood for it.

I went to buy some new running headphones today and also came out with a the 15 segments of the Batman cereals in the early 40's. Only five bucks. Good stuff.
    It is a lot of fun because of the WWII world it takes place in. The American attitude was so different then. I miss that.
  4. You mean series?

Cereals is, you know, food... biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    PawelStroinski wrote
    You mean series?

Cereals is, you know, food... biggrin

Opps, no. I meant serials.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I meant Homicide the series. This episode wasn't too bad at all
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2008
    Watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang last night. It had been a few months since I last watched it.
    Black's smart detective comedy is fantastic in every way.
    Downey and Kilmer are great together and play very interesting roles.
    The writing/directing is top notch as well. smile
    I can't say enough things about this film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote

I have the Marco Polo rerecording. Is that the one? It's the most complete release as far as I know, at 72 minutes.

Erik Woods wrote
    I never really warmed up to Steiner's score... but then again, I have a hard time warming up to his music PERIOD! However, SHE was something that REALLY impressed me. But one thing that is for sure and indisputable is King Kong's place in film music history and how Steiner, with this score, helped shape dramatic film scores for the years to come.

Ahh, there see? It's not just me. I do respect the relevance and historical importance of the score but it still fails to totally grip me and make me yearn for a listening.

Still, just to play the devil's advocate, anyone who thinks Steiner's music doesn't do anything for them HAS to experience The Adventures of Don Juan and The Flame and the Arrow. Saying you're not too much into Steiner because of King Kong, She or Battle Cry alone is like saying you're not too much into David Arnold because all you ever experienced is Baby Boy and Changing Lanes. With that analogy, Don Juan is Steiner's Stargate.

And on another note, my favourite King Kong score is actually one that hasn't been mentioned so far: John Scott's King Kong Lives. Amazing stuff.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me